Sign in to follow this  
Cheerio

Someone explain to me why we attack the Barclay first half?

We always have done haven''t we?

Probably because we seem to score more goals at the River End on a whole (maybe things have changed in the last two year though?)

Because some bloke on a message board gets really uptight if we do, and the players like nothing better than to wind blokes on message boards up.

[quote user="kettering canary"]Don''t know but in the last few seasons we seem to score more towards the river end.[/quote]

That''s because in recent seasons we ''had to earn the right to play'' in the first half (per Worthy), so tended to score more in the second (ie in the river end).   It does pee me off, being a Barclay season ticket holder (who couldn''t go today, 3 hrs each way driving with the ''flu was never going to happen)....I always thought sides preferred to kick towards their ''noisier'' fans in the second half, so why not us?

Until about 10 years ago we would always select to attack the Barclay 2nd half..... interwsting that so few of you remember that (smudger).Even the players have discussed this. Its a disadvantage to our keeper (sun) and playes into the oppo teams hands as they attack their own fans toward the climax to the game.I agree completely (as do most players) that its ridiculous. What other team attacks the morgue end second half??

[quote user="T07"]Until about 10 years ago we would always select to attack the Barclay 2nd half..... interwsting that so few of you remember that (smudger).
Even the players have discussed this. Its a disadvantage to our keeper (sun) and playes into the oppo teams hands as they attack their own fans toward the climax to the game.

I agree completely (as do most players) that its ridiculous. What other team attacks the morgue end second half??
[/quote]

Thought we had always chosen to attack the River End if we won the toss as we have always seemed to score more up that end.

But then again can''t remember when I actually tried to take note of who wins the toss...  but I''m sure the tosser that you are you are always paying full attention at this point in the afternoons/evenings proceedings????  [:D]

[quote user="Snakepit boys"]Totally agree but seem to remember it being something to do with the Sun in there eyes![/quote]Then you''ve never been in Carrow Road. The sun is worse in the Barclay Keepers eyes 2nd Half.

[quote]I agree completely (as do most players) that its ridiculous. What other team attacks the morgue end second half??[/quote]

What we need to do then is swap the supporters around so the Barclay end supporters are at the River End.  Then the sun won''t be in anyones'' eyes, and the team will be attacking the non-morgue end.

Problem solved.

NEXT !

Yep. Coming into the autumn and then into the spring it''s really low in the second half and blinds the fans and the keeper. Keeps it nice and warm though I think.

I''m sure I read in Iwan''s autobiography that it was to do with a very slight slope on the pitch towards the river end.  It gave the team a psychological advantage to be going ''downhill'' as the game reached its climax.

[quote user="Snakepit boys"]You are right T07, I have never been to Carrow Road!! Idiot! [/quote]I''m always right.

>>>This attacking thing you mention we do. What is it exactly?<<<Fair point.....

T 07 is right though (not as right as me though). We always used to attack the Barclay second half if we won the toss but it was changed by. John Deehan. There''e no slope on the pitch other than drainage camber is there?. I missed that comment in Iwans book, I''ll take another look. Newcastles pitch actually breaks Premier League rules the slope is so big, over three feet drop.

It would make sence if there was a slope, after all it goes down towards the river, but it surely can''t be that significant to spurn the barclay in favour of it.

bull! that theory is outa the window as only ONE of our goals has been scored at River End this season!!!!

I always ask that question. In the second half towards the end of last nights game we needed to score and should have been attacking big time. Where was the encouragement from the River End? Nowhere, and the place was like a morgue. The Scunthorpe supporters like all the away teams give it loads in the second half and how many times have we conceded in the second half to lose a game?

More goals are scored at the River End because generally more goals are scored in the second half of games. However we play into the oppositions hands when we let them attack their supporters, and thus they get more encouragement, and we attack the quiet end.

Also, the fact that we make noise in The Barclay as well as the opposition fans genarates a larger noise at the Barclay end overall - all the opposition players hear is the noise from both sets of fans which encourages them even more.

It''s plain daft if you ask me!

[quote user="sig"]

I''m sure I read in Iwan''s autobiography that it was to do with a very slight slope on the pitch towards the river end.  It gave the team a psychological advantage to be going ''downhill'' as the game reached its climax.

[/quote]

Well, sig, we''ve certainly been going '' downhill '' in recent seasons but if that''s a psychological advantage to the team they must be hiding it well.........

[quote user="will c"]

I always ask that question. In the second half towards the end of last nights game we needed to score and should have been attacking big time. Where was the encouragement from the River End? Nowhere, and the place was like a morgue. The Scunthorpe supporters like all the away teams give it loads in the second half and how many times have we conceded in the second half to lose a game?

More goals are scored at the River End because generally more goals are scored in the second half of games. However we play into the oppositions hands when we let them attack their supporters, and thus they get more encouragement, and we attack the quiet end.

Also, the fact that we make noise in The Barclay as well as the opposition fans genarates a larger noise at the Barclay end overall - all the opposition players hear is the noise from both sets of fans which encourages them even more.

It''s plain daft if you ask me!

[/quote]Exactly. Somebody enlighten te Scot please