Sign in to follow this  
All dots

Libellous, slanderous posts

Just a thought but I recall someone mentioning during the pre-match discussion on TV Saturday evening that a Sheff Weds director was suing Owls fans for posting libellous comments about him on message boards. I was reading the paper at the time so didn''t get the detail. Did anybody else hear this ? Anyway, the point of my post is just to alert everybody to watch out and watch what you say ..... there maybe a slimy, creepy solicitor about

Quite right too - it''s too easy to post gratuitous personal abuse under cover of a username. Why should a comment on a forum be any different to one in a newspaper?

Well.  If saying that your club is going to sell a player because they don''t have money to keep them is defamation, then I''m guilty, and so is everyone who ever posted on a message board.  Ridiculous.

I feel that opinions ard speculation are fine but there are many times on this board that comments could be percieved as unsubstantiated abuse. I think a good test is would I be willing to say something to someone''s face and could I back up what I am saying.

[quote]I feel that opinions ard speculation are fine but there are many times on this board that comments could be percieved as unsubstantiated abuse. I think a good test is would I be willing to say something to someone''s face and could I back up what I am saying. [/quote]

I''d agree with that sentiment.

There''s more to this though. Remember, their Chairman labelled their fans "scum" and "cretings" not too long ago, refuses the local press anywhere near the club and generally, swears alot

Will I get in to trouble for calling the players a football team or the board management?

[:D]

It''s interesting to see what the moderators possition would be in something like this. I guess that the original poster would have to take responsibility for the accuracy of their comment but I''m not so sure about offensive comments being let through. Bit sad and OTT in my opinion. 

More paranoia?

I think we can rely on the intelligence and astuteness of the Archant moderators to prevent any such breach on here....or is it just yet another attempt to control opinion?

Political correctness strikes again I''m afraid....

What can be termed ‘defamatory’?

It is called libel if the statement is in a permanent form (ie: print), if it is transient (ie: spoken) then it is slander. The exceptions to this are broadcast media and public performances where defamation is termed as libel.

A statement is defamatory if it tends to do any of the following:

Expose someone to hatred, ridicule or contempt;

Cause someone to be shunned or avoided;

Lower that person in the estimation of other right-thinking people;

Cause a loss of business, trade, rank or professional standing.

The party taking action does not have to show that actual damage occurred… just that it could. To test this, a judge will instruct a jury to ask whether the statement would have any of the above effects on the reasonable person.

[quote user="Old Salt"]Just a thought but I recall someone mentioning during the pre-match discussion on TV Saturday evening that a Sheff Weds director was suing Owls fans for posting libellous comments about him on message boards. I was reading the paper at the time so didn''t get the detail. Did anybody else hear this ? Anyway, the point of my post is just to alert everybody to watch out and watch what you say ..... there maybe a slimy, creepy solicitor about[/quote]

This lot should go.

So sue me.

[quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]Why is that phrase so often used by people who have no idea of its true meaning?See above (why am I not suprised?)

[quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

I''d suggest that it''s more evidence of the increasingly litigious nature of of our society rather than anything to do with political correctness.

Why is it that I''m thinking of the abuse of a former manager when I read these points ?[quote]

A statement is defamatory if it tends to do any of the following:

Expose someone to hatred, ridicule or contempt; (check)

Cause someone to be shunned or avoided; (maybe not shunned...)

Lower that person in the estimation of other right-thinking people; (check)

Cause a loss of business, trade, rank or professional standing. (check) [/quote]

Anyone else see the connection to the posts and campaigns of last season / the season before, or is it just me ?

Oops, can of worms...Forget I said that, it''s all in the past, nothing more to say here, so onwards and upwards. Right, how long has it been since we''ve scored a goal ?

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Sue me![/quote]

Quite right Arthur they can''t sue you or I for anything because every word that we have spoken has been the truth.

It is those who occupy the corridors of Carrow Road presently who are a slimy bunch!!!

Eventually we''ll all end up having to put disclaimers in at the end of each post we make.The views and opinions shared by MK Canary are just that, and should not under any circumstance be taken as fact or truth. MK Canary has no involvement in Board Room proceedings and as a result, his opinions on "where''s the money gone" are based entirely on speculation and assumption.

In truth, I am sure some of us do have information which if we made it public we could be sued, or that information could make trouble for others. I do feel sorry for Pete and co having to sift through all our posts!

It''s very difficult trying to keep stuff in a general context when you do happen to know something. I wouldn''t trust the club not to go after someone who really does post something they really had trouble with though.

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

Why is that phrase so often used by people who have no idea of its true meaning?
See above (why am I not suprised?)
[/quote]

Yeah. Why is it "political" correctness, Cluck?

NEXT!

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]In truth, I am sure some of us do have information which if we made it public we could be sued, or that information could make trouble for others. I do feel sorry for Pete and co having to sift through all our posts! It''s very difficult trying to keep stuff in a general context when you do happen to know something. I wouldn''t trust the club not to go after someone who really does post something they really had trouble with though.[/quote]

As I stated further up the thread Gazza... they would have difficult going after anybody...

Because in my opinion everything that is likely to of been said about them is the truth.

Unless they can prove that somebody has made a deflamatory statement and there is no truth in what they have said then those at NCFC don''t have a leg to stand on in court.

Hence the silence coming out of Carrow Road lately (apart from Doncasters bull today that is).