Sign in to follow this  
Gentleman Jim

Is Dion throwing his hat into the ring ?

Dion''s latest rallying cry seems to cynical old me, to be very much like the current politician''s speeches in Parliament who are sensing an impending general election.

Is he anticipating a vacancy at Carrow Road I wonder ?  Hmmmm ! 

[quote user="Gorleston Jim"]

Dion''s latest rallying cry seems to cynical old me, to be very much like the current politician''s speeches in Parliament who are sensing an impending general election.

[/quote]

He''s got my vote!

Grant out, Dion in as player/manager

No chance... Dion''s already stated he wants to spend more time with his family and take up his passion of music after the seasons out. He''d be mad to go into management, especially here.

[/quote]

The same thing has crossed my mind. Could he take up the post without the various coaching badges that seem to be essential requirements nowadays? Or does he have these qualifications already?

Some of you fans amaze me, get rid of one inexperienced manager bring in another, Dublin would be a ridiculous choice, we need someone with experience, proper contacts, who can attract a worthwhile management set up.

Dion is a nice bloke, good player, but next manager, no thanks.

[quote user="Dicky"]I for one would love to see Dion as manager.[/quote]

And what exactly would be achieved by replacing Grant with someone with even LESS management experience?  While you can argue Grant is not up to the job it is a fact he has been an assistant maanger at both Championship and Premier level with a team who enjoyed success in that time.  Dion is a model pro but he cannot claim the same.

If we have to change manager the replacement must have a proven track record at this level of getting results on a limited budget - a sort of Dario Gradi character would be ideal.

Ok, let''s put this rumour to bed.  All he''s done is give some straight answers to some straight questions, same as he''s done throughout his career, and fair play to him for doing so.  Dion isn''t throwing is hat into any ring, in fact it looked unlikely that he was even going to sign for us for this season over the summer.  I used to live in his home town, it''s a lovely place, and if I had a footballers'' salary and my family lived there, I probably wouldn''t want to be a hundred-odd miles away any more than I had to be either.

I think anybody who had gone to any norwich match over the past year and has seen dion play will see that he is a lot better than the average player. He has a footballing brain just like the likes of keane etc. who have been good converts. Dion would make a great manager I feel. The only side where I feel he could be lacking is the transfer side, which needs experience, after all not every manager is a harry redknap. Dion is not only a born leader and a greatly gifted footballer and athlete but he is respected by everyone. How often do you see a 38 year old become a fan favourite at a club that is struggling for form, nearly never. I feel on the back of this he would make a great manager one day, even not at this level. And even if he doesn''t become a manager he deserves a good placement in football in general as he will be missed not only by us but by many fans when he leaves the game.

[/quote]

Again I say Hmmmmm !

I think you have every reason to be smug this morning Jim! Didn''t see this one coming - though i''m sure he wont get the job. Assistant manager maybe?

http://www.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED26%20Oct%202007%2008%3A25%3A57%3A650

I wonder

[quote user="Dicky"]I for one would love to see Dion as manager.[/quote]

Zero experience and too close/comfy with the current squad, it would be a disaster of biblical proportions![:''(]

Dion is a calm and cool person, not the raving mad man like grant. Has great experience in the footballing world, in defence or in attack he excells. Finally he is well respected among the players and is the kind of person who could be a great manager. Would he be the man to save us? personally I think he could do it.

No thanks Dion.  You are doing a great job on the pitch, thats how it needs to stay.    I am curious why some people think he would be a good manager for us ??

The story from the main page worries me, that Steve Staunton may throw his hat into the ring alongside Dublin, can I just say that I hope someone is there to throw it back out again I really don''t want him.

http://www.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED25%20Oct%202007%2017%3A56%3A45%3A463

I have to disagree with you Wiz, I think Dion is the perfect man for the job!!! He knows the players inside out, he is popular in the changing room, he is a crowd favourite..... He is an intelligent footballer, he understands the game. You can see that when he plays, he would be able to transform that on to the training ground as well.

He knows what has to be done!!!! I would be very happy to see Dion take control at Carrow Rd

Yellows!!!

Then we''re doomed Oli, sorry, its because he is close to the players which worries me, we need an experienced and successful manager at the helm of a sinking ship............not a novice.

Firstly, with managers now being chopped and replaced at a moments notice, forget this idea of "legendary" inspirational managers. There arent many of them left in that mould. Managers in general are now totally dispensable, which is why there have been almost 10 names in the "running" for the job at City.

As we''ve seen players now come first and if they decide to stop playing for a manager, even due to personal problems with him, they can get a manager sacked. Managers are dispensable, player power. Get your heads out of dreamland hoping for this fantasy manager in the mould of the greats, even in the mould of Redknapp or Jewell, with all these must have attributes of experience and contacts and incredible charisma. There aren''t enough of them to go around.

With this in mind, in my opinion Dion would be a great gaffer. He is a man with unequivaocal respect in the game, not only because he''s proved himself at the highest levels for 2 decades, but because he''s clearly hugely intelligent, diplomatic and always ambitious. A choice beween that and some out of work, recently disposed manager with supposedly magic "contacts book"... no choice at all for me.

Shall we look at facts:1. Dion has played at all levels lower divisions, premiership, div 1/ccc and in europe2. He has been captain at many clubs and every manager he has has utilised his ability to be a leader and inspire on the pitch.3. He has won the premiership with Man U and Celtic and knows what it takes to be a winner.4. He is generally a very-likeable person and I would think he''d be a great figure in the dressing room. He also aint afraid to have a go at his team when things haven''t gone well on the pitch.5. He knows the players better than probably anybody else so why not, even temporary as it could be a quick fix to get us rolling again.6. Dion is a professional. I haven''t seen as many footballers that are as intelligent as him on the pitch, I''ve always been an admirer of him and I reckon he has what it takes.

I''m sticking to the fact I 100% believe Jewell will be the new manager, theres no doubt in my mind at all. The fans want him, the players want him...and i believe thats why its taking so long, because he cannot join until 1st November.

[quote user="Fellas"]Shall we look at facts:

1. Dion has played at all levels lower divisions, premiership, div 1/ccc and in europe
2. He has been captain at many clubs and every manager he has has utilised his ability to be a leader and inspire on the pitch.
3. He has won the premiership with Man U and Celtic and knows what it takes to be a winner.
4. He is generally a very-likeable person and I would think he''d be a great figure in the dressing room. He also aint afraid to have a go at his team when things haven''t gone well on the pitch.
5. He knows the players better than probably anybody else so why not, even temporary as it could be a quick fix to get us rolling again.
6. Dion is a professional. I haven''t seen as many footballers that are as intelligent as him on the pitch, I''ve always been an admirer of him and I reckon he has what it takes.
[/quote]

Good post!!! Could not have put it better my self.......

I was not a fan of PG appointment, I am defiantly not a fan of Duffy, but Dion I generally believe could do a job for us!!!!! IMO people need to start releasing that.

This is intriguing. My first reaction was "NNOOOOOOO!!!!!" but on reflection ...... He has all the right characteristics: vast experience, knowledge of defence & attack, a refusal to surrender, great footballing intelligence, organisational ability, a likeable (but not soft) character, good man-management. Not a bad list for starters.

Remember how he lined up Dave for his goal? He''s an all-round nice guy, but I think there''s evidence of steel in there as well.

It''s all very well calling for an experienced manager who will "guarantee" results, but footie management is littered with one-off wonders, or those who work miracles at one club only tto bomb at their next. Mike Walker anyone?

I''m beginning to think, Jewell apart, it might be the best option

Hell of a risk for the board to take, though.

Have they got the bottle ....

[quote user="Duffman"]No thanks Dion.  You are doing a great job on the pitch, thats how it needs to stay.   

I am curious why some people think he would be a good manager for us ??
[/quote]

because he''s old and once played for Man utd...

jas :)

Why the hell Dion wasn''t made caretaker manager, I''ll never know....  I was amazed he wasn''t.

If he was currently acting manager we would already have a fair idea whether he''s got the motivational skills to instill some belief into the team (which personally I think he has) - if he''d delivered a couple of decent results, we could''ve extended until the end of the season to see how it worked out.

As it stands, he''s unlikely to get the job and we''ll never know if he could''ve done a job for us.