Sign in to follow this  
renegade tootsie

No local investors - yes their are - but they are being blocked

How do I know that potential local investors are being blocked?  well I am not going to reveal my sources or name any names. But I have it first hand from someone very high up the food chain at Norwich Union that there are several potential local investors they know of through conversations at business events, but they are being blocked.  I will not name names, but there is one chap who has been a lifelong city fan, is worth over £200 million and has tried to get involved but there is ''just no way in''.  He even said that this chap laughed at the club debt and said it was not an issue.

I also had this verified by someone else who attended a local chamber of commerce meeting last week and came up with the same name for the investor without prompting after they heard the same story.

It stinks around this club.

This is really concerning, JC if you are local,, you must go to the AGM and question them on this. We need to know what the reasons are for anyone with serious money and intentions who are turned down. What is wrong with their credentials in the boards'' eyes?

IF they want someone with a real love of the club to go onto the board, put in some serious money, what''s the problem?

[quote user="JC"]

How do I know that potential local investors are being blocked?  well I am not going to reveal my sources or name any names. But I have it first hand from someone very high up the food chain at Norwich Union that there are several potential local investors they know of through conversations at business events, but they are being blocked.  I will not name names, but there is one chap who has been a lifelong city fan, is worth over £200 million and has tried to get involved but there is ''just no way in''.  He even said that this chap laughed at the club debt and said it was not an issue.

I also had this verified by someone else who attended a local chamber of commerce meeting last week and came up with the same name for the investor without prompting after they heard the same story.

[/quote]

It''s this very myth that perpetuates Delia''s cynical "saviour" status. For those awake all those years ago it smelled bad then....but now it possitively wreaks.

There are other people who would dearly like to take this club places....but then would you allow DS and MWJ to feather their own nest with your investment?  There are very few "accidental" successful businessmen/women in this world...so therefore they will have the good sense to stay away.....or wait for a bargain when Delia finally throws in the towel.

They''ll come along at the right time I can assure you.......

[quote user="JC"]

[/quote]

Im guessing that the only buyers of Norwich city would be the "tottenham" Turners... I believe what you say JC as these business Bigwigs haev contacts all over the palce and word gets around of course... If it is true then as mentioned it explains why D&M grabbed up the shares... Relegation could see the value of the shares plummet.. then what for Smith and Jones? would any investor still be interested if the club was worth less than it was before?

jas :)

We''re quickly being left behind.  Money is being invested in championship sides with greater regularity now and we need to be a part of that.

Why would they block it. . .its not a profitable business so they would know they are holding back much needed funds.

If the proposal wasnt a bit fishy then i can''t see this being true.

Well I am not going to reveal my sources or name any names. But I have it first hand from someone very high up the food chain at Norwich Union that there are several potential local investors they know of through conversations at business events, but they are being blocked.  I will not name names.

Sorry JC, I think most of us would love this to be true but how do we know it is! Very convenient for you to say ...''I won''t name my sources''! Surely if this is true then these mystery investors would not let a simple ''No'' from a cook stand in their way!!!. They would go public and whip up support from the fan base - let''s face it, if they are genuine, they would have no trouble in doing that at the moment would they? I simply don''t believe that the board would say ''No'' to ANY new investment, that would totally contradict the much pulicised Smith statement at the last AGM about being willing to sell up.

If you don''t want to name names then just go to the press and give them a bit of information - they will do the rest. Lets face it IF this is true it would their biggest story by far since Chase sold up.    

Perhaps your ''sources'' are referring to that guy Colin Davey(?) - the professional gambler from Bury St Edmunds who the Board did meet with but who (alledgedly) wanted to buy either us or Ipswich but ended up doing neither.

It is very easy for so called ''investors'' to say .........''oh yeah, I would have bought Smith out''. Just boosts their ego and makes them look big in front of friends, colleagues etc. A serious investor would have muscled in by now.  Only a few weeks ago Freddy Shepherd was adamant that no-one was going to buy him out,. Look what happened!  

If what you are saying is true and I personally know nothing to suggest you are wrong, why dont these potential investors make themselves known to the press and the media not to mention us the supporters. People with fortunes such as you suggest are not normally slow in coming forward are they?

There are some with huge wealth who don’t of course want any form of publicity but not many who have the desire to invest in football clubs are like that I would suggest. If there is more than one potential investor out there or even two or three then I cannot see why they would want to stay anonymous and wait to be invited in. Unless of course they are not serious about putting their money where their mouth is or more importantly into the club.

If you are right lets see who they are. It’s very easy to contact the supporters association possibly through them we can find out who these people are and when we do us as fans can throw our weight behind them and force the board to quit. Until that happens all this is pure hot air.  

[quote user="JC"]

[/quote]

JC- I have also heard something very similar. I have also heard that someone is waiting in the wings. Ready to move when the time is right.

[quote user="JC"]

[/quote]

Erm, so what about Andrew and Sharon Turner then, directors of Central Trust PLC? Is he not worth around £275m? Do you not think it''s more possible that others are apparently being blocked because of this?

I have always found it hard to believe that there is nobody prepared to buy this club and pump some money in, hopefully if she get''s to much grief from the fans she who can do no wrong will have enough and throw in the towel, the time is now.

im aware of this, and it is because  the turners are currently drawing up a plan, as they have already hinted to you...(in an interview to rick waghorn, sharon turner stated with a smile on her face that plans were already in place to wipe the debt and invest more)the question, when is it going to happen?6-9 monthsinteresting times ahead

I''m pretty sure the Turners are worth nearer the £800m mark. I''m only guessing, I have nothing factual to back this up with but........

I think the £2m loan was the Turners getting their foot (feet?) in the door and paving the way for a takeover. We all know the club needs a major cash injection, and Delia just doesn''t have enough cash to make that much of a difference, even if she wanted to. In the grand scheme of things, Delia is a "poor" (if there is such a thing) millionaire. The Turners are in the big league, let''s hope they help us get there too.

[quote user="Bigmarkcanary"]

Erm, so what about Andrew and Sharon Turner then, directors of Central Trust PLC? Is he not worth around £275m? Do you not think it''s more possible that others are apparently being blocked because of this?[/quote]

And a lot of good they have done....  Hopefully Mr and Mrs Turner will be the spark for the quick removal of our substandard manager.

Thats is certainly a name that I know made an approach to the board of directors about a possible investment in the club.

Colin Davey might not have been the sort of bloke many people would want involved with our club but I know Colin and what I can confidently say is the whole “I’ll get invloved with ipswich” saga was only as a result of being treated with ditain by the current incumbants.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Peter Cullum ?
[/quote]

According to Wikipedia Peter Cullum was born in Norwich in 1950.  He was on the Sunday Times Rich List 2007 valued at £700 million.

From the Telegraph 28th May 2007: "Peter Cullum, the founder and chairman of Towergate, Britain''s largest private insurance firm, could earn a staggering £2billion if the business pushes ahead with a mooted sale.  Selling his stake would catapult him to the top tiers of Britain''s rich lists, joining sports retail entrepreneur Mike Ashley and supermarket aristocrat Lord Sainsbury.  The company is considering whether to sell all or part of the business after receiving a number of approaches from private equity firms.  The company has asked its adviser, Lexicon Partners, to arrange the potential sale."

Let''s just say I hope you''re right blah3! [:D]

Its fairly safe to speculate that the Turner''s will be the long term majority shareholders and "owners" of Norwich City in time.

They got in with the £2 Million and are now learning everything there is to learn about the club. When the time comes, they''ll buy Delia/MWJ''s shares, the latter duo will be made Honourary Life Presidents and be fans again with no financial interest or control.

The Turners will have their own ideas about people to join them with investment and what-have-you, they will steadily appoint them or invite them to "come aboard" and the make-up of the Board will change that way, organically.

They are the "next level"-Delia/MWJ know that they cannot compete with them financially or offer the club what they can.

It could be that the alleged people who were interested but "rejected" weren''t, and are the Turners. It might not. its worrying to think that potential new and big money might have been on offer and rejected, but (and sorry for this parallel AGAIN) look at Leeds United, there is continual speculation about take overs and investment-Duncan Revie, Pearson et al-all talked the talk, all said they had big plans for the club, but, with them, and others, when Bates asked to see the money and accounts, it wasn''t there!

They''re now a fantastic footballing investment opportunity but nothing is happening there. Why should it us simply because we need it now?

I am wondering if there will be an announcement at the AGM-I''ll be there, so will hope that there is!

I really cannot give any names - I am sure the mods would not allow it anyway.  It would also compromise the two people who spoke to me.  Suffice to say I am pretty convinced by the story and its content - and therefore convinced that the story about local investors only does not tell the whole story. 

[/quote]

Its not as straight forward as a ''hey I want to invest'' there is another key part to the story that I cannot explain because it makes it very obvious - but I have heard it from two sources and checked it out myself.  All I can offer is my word and to open a debate on how truthful the ''we welcome local investors'' line really is.

[quote user="kevin brighton"]

If what you are saying is true and I personally know nothing to suggest you are wrong, why dont these potential investors make themselves known to the press and the media not to mention us the supporters. People with fortunes such as you suggest are not normally slow in coming forward are they?

There are some with huge wealth who don’t of course want any form of publicity but not many who have the desire to invest in football clubs are like that I would suggest. If there is more than one potential investor out there or even two or three then I cannot see why they would want to stay anonymous and wait to be invited in. Unless of course they are not serious about putting their money where their mouth is or more importantly into the club.

If you are right lets see who they are. It’s very easy to contact the supporters association possibly through them we can find out who these people are and when we do us as fans can throw our weight behind them and force the board to quit. Until that happens all this is pure hot air.  

[/quote]

Erm, I dont know.  I am just telling you what I heard from two independent sources - its up to you guys to decide if it could be true or for others who have heard rumours to help put the pieces together.

[quote user="Bigmarkcanary"][quote user="JC"]

[/quote]

Erm, so what about Andrew and Sharon Turner then, directors of Central Trust PLC? Is he not worth around £275m? Do you not think it''s more possible that others are apparently being blocked because of this?

[/quote]

[quote user="mystic megson"]

[/quote]

According to Wikipedia Peter Cullum was born in Norwich in 1950.  He was on the Sunday Times Rich List 2007 valued at £700 million.

From the Telegraph 28th May 2007: "Peter Cullum, the founder and chairman of Towergate, Britain''s largest private insurance firm, could earn a staggering £2billion if the business pushes ahead with a mooted sale.  Selling his stake would catapult him to the top tiers of Britain''s rich lists, joining sports retail entrepreneur Mike Ashley and supermarket aristocrat Lord Sainsbury.  The company is considering whether to sell all or part of the business after receiving a number of approaches from private equity firms.  The company has asked its adviser, Lexicon Partners, to arrange the potential sale."

Let''s just say I hope you''re right blah3! [:D]

[/quote]

F*** ME!!! That makes the Turners look like Delia and MWJ in terms of financial networth. If what is being said there is true maybe the sale of his shares is to buy ours.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

Its fairly safe to speculate that the Turner''s will be the long term majority shareholders and "owners" of Norwich City in time.

They got in with the £2 Million and are now learning everything there is to learn about the club. When the time comes, they''ll buy Delia/MWJ''s shares, the latter duo will be made Honourary Life Presidents and be fans again with no financial interest or control.

The Turners will have their own ideas about people to join them with investment and what-have-you, they will steadily appoint them or invite them to "come aboard" and the make-up of the Board will change that way, organically.

They are the "next level"-Delia/MWJ know that they cannot compete with them financially or offer the club what they can.

It could be that the alleged people who were interested but "rejected" weren''t, and are the Turners. It might not. its worrying to think that potential new and big money might have been on offer and rejected, but (and sorry for this parallel AGAIN) look at Leeds United, there is continual speculation about take overs and investment-Duncan Revie, Pearson et al-all talked the talk, all said they had big plans for the club, but, with them, and others, when Bates asked to see the money and accounts, it wasn''t there!

They''re now a fantastic footballing investment opportunity but nothing is happening there. Why should it us simply because we need it now?

I am wondering if there will be an announcement at the AGM-I''ll be there, so will hope that there is!

[/quote]

Well if this is the plan they ought to be fast tracking the process, just look at Leicester to see what happens when these things drag out for bloody ages.  Unfortunatly failure is abundant in our club at the moment.  The likes of MWJ seem to have no clue about running a football club, and seem to run it like their own personal small business.  Running it into the ground due to poor personell and lack of investment.

If Delia/MWJ/Doncaster left i''m sure others would take up the standard and the club would enter a new era, hopefully a better one than the last 12 years.

If these potential investors are serious then why don''t they just go public and outline the proposals, fan power would do the rest.

[quote user="JC"]

Its not as straight forward as a ''hey I want to invest'' there is another key part to the story that I cannot explain because it makes it very obvious - but I have heard it from two sources and checked it out myself.  All I can offer is my word and to open a debate on how truthful the ''we welcome local investors'' line really is.

[/quote]

Is that a debate between "economical with the truth" and "a complete pack of lies" JC? [;)]

JC, all the club''s remaining ordinary shares were taken up by D&M last season, every single one* (see 2007 Annual Report p.41).  They converted the rest of their loans into shares and spent another £270,000 to hoover up the rest. 

In October there''s a proposal at the AGM to issue some more ordinary shares and increase the purchase price by 20% from £25 to £30 per share (making the new issue worth just under £1m).  Why do you think the price is going up?  I''m not interested in making a profit, but I wouldn''t pay 30p at the moment let alone £30. 

What do you think all this might mean?

* The Supporters Trust tried to buy shares last season but were unable to do so because D&M had scoffed the lot.  Now it will cost them 20% more.