Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

Balanced thoughts...

Now i''m not one to press the panic button, in fact i really am quite loyal and believe that a manager needs time. I also believe that some people on this board overeact in such a dramatic way following defeats against two teams that really are bigger and better than us. I felt that we''d actually improved the squad from last year in key areas (ie between sticks), i''ve always been concerned with the central defence position but was reassured by Grants words. I''ve understood the financial limitations of the club, and i appreciate what Grant is trying to do here.... BUT......I went to the Wolves game yesterday, and I left wanting to murder someone... it was the most frustrating game i''ve been to in years!I really didn''t expect 3 points, and i felt a draw away from home would be a good result for us, but oh my god we just didn''t compete... we didn''t compete at all. Whenever the ball reached Cureton (rare) he just couldn''t keep it for more than a second, here were my thoughts while at game:-- Brellier - Why so clumsy?- Why do I get nervous for Marshall even on backpasses now? His kicking was not inspiring!- Doherty... he has no pace, so he gets soooo tight on players that you feel a free-kick or penalty could happen at any moment- Stop sending long balls upto Cureton *arrhghhhhhhhghghgh*- Chris Martin looks a very good player!- Norwich fans are angry lol, the moaning and swearing was hilarious.- Norwich fans like to boo their own players lol!!! ffs, how does that help things?Do I still back Grant and co? Technically, he cannot control player reactions but i saw major flaws in his tactical ability. Long ball!?! With Cureton as a target man? Brown wasn''t getting much of the ball, and as far as i could see, most of the "attempted passes" ended up heading towards Cureton. Baffling!Is there a breakdown in communication between manager and player? Or are they playing to the managers request? If they are, Grant needs to step down now! Wolves looked a decent side, but we got mullered.

the problem with yesterday,we acted like a castle on a hill, we just sat in our 18yd box and invited pressure and crosses. shackell was happy to shout at his lads, but i dont think he is very popular with his team mates,grant shouts the instructions at the players while they are on the pitch, which obviously means that the players dont know what they are doing when they enter the field.he also appears not to have the authority in terms of discipline and leadership, this is reflected on the pitch.solutions?*ditch shackell as captain, too much pressure, power mad, un organised,*sell off the driftwood, no matter how small the profit,*SCOUT, look for the good young players, find some sort of game plan for the next 3-4 seasons, at the  moment we are drifting sideways.*get rid of grant (ive always been the first to defend him, but after 11months, he still cant control his players, assert himself. or use a whiteboard and pen)problems*financial restrictions, trust me....they are worse than any of you lot can possibly think, there is a bill of 250k on a simple utility, guess....*tactical restrictions, we dont have the links or networking that would be needed.*fans, they would complain for that 3-4 year period where we were rebuilding that we were doing sweet F.A, well, what are we doing now?this, is the way we have to do things, rip down and rebuild....

As I was saying last night, Wolves is the model we should follow... they picked up Keogh and Kightly, who ripped us to shreds, for the same price as Big Dave

It will take time and there will be blips, but boy did those lads want the ball and want to play in that shirt

[quote user="ShrewsCanary"]As I was saying last night, Wolves is the model we should follow... they picked up Keogh and Kightly, who ripped us to shreds, for the same price as Big Dave It will take time and there will be blips, but boy did those lads want the ball and want to play in that shirt[/quote]

You have hit the nail on the head because it does appear from the games I have watched this season that our opponents seem to play more as a team, and invariably win the 50-50 challenges.

Everyone at the club made a big thing about Gunn''s new appointment and his fantastic connections, particularly with Alex Ferguson; well where are these loan players?  I have a sneaky feeling that money is the problem as Grant has intimated, but you only get what you pay for.  The worrying thing is I cannot see many Premiership managers wanting to loan their players out to a team who appear to have no confidence and are rapidly heading towards Div 1.