Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

Clearly Huckeby doesn't rate the midfield pair.

“We have to control games“.” We haven''t done that all season“. Follow that with yet another mention of the loss of Etuhu and Safri and it doesn''t take a genius to realize that he isn''t happy with the central midfield pair.

Well me too son. I said several weeks ago that Brellier and Russell will never work and I don''t see anything to suggest I was being harsh.

Yes our defence is poor at times but any defence that is under constant pressure will concede goals. Central midfield is the engine room of any team. It has a responsibility to break up attacking moves before they reach the defence and to instigate attacking moves for their own team.

Not all attacks can be stopped by central midfield that’s why we have a defences and not all attacks can be created by them either that’s why we have people like Hucks but If the central midfield do neither for 90% of a match you end up with what we have.

A team that concedes too many a scores too few. Result you don''t win many games.

We have a team that is crying out for a player to put his foot on the ball and a player who does the sort of job that Barry did so well for England in the last two games, break up play, track runners, play it simple and do it all again if you get my drift.

Before the silly boys start, I don’t expect Norwich city to get a player of Barry’s quality, yes it needs saying other wise somebody who can’t face the truth shoots you down. I expect somebody of that style at a Championship level.

Sorry if this post seems a bit like I’m over explaining the obvious but if you don’t somebody from the blinkered brigade will pick you up on it in an attempt to discredit any detractor from the current team and regime.

Anyway back to the point, Huckerby has spoken well and with passion. He is our best player. He was the player with the most credentials on the entire pitch today and he told it how it is.

Was he wrong. Nope. Was he wrong to say it publicly. I don’t think so. At least we know one person at the club can see what so many of us fans can. You can’t polish a turd. You won’t make Brellier a good player just because you play him. And that goes for so many more players in our team.

Yes Grant slated the team but he’ll still play them again next week. He has to, he bought them!

HH44 - I suggested that our inability to control the midfield through passing the ball was the problem back in August but the so called "blinkered brigade" assured me that if we got a new centreback everything would be fine.

I have seen Fotheringham make the difference in that way for us at Preston last season and then against Southampton this season. I am not sure whether Jimmy Smith could make a difference in the same way because I have never seen him play for us. But without the player who can pass the ball out of trouble our only option is to play Chris Brown up front and hit long balls to him ala Russell.

No passing midfield + no Brown = Wolves away.

Plain and simple we have noone who can pass the ball in midfield, hence the long hoofs up to the ineffectual CHris Brown....

Safri was so important when he played because of his ability to spread the play to the wide midfielders in dangerous areas.

We have to hope Fozzy''s 20 minutes against Southampton was not just a one off otherwise we have noone at the club capable of a pass.

Its not just the loss of that pair that is the problem - they are now playing deeper so cant make a contribution going forward,  have no width with a three man middle, brellier and rusty between them make fewer tackles (and so win the ball) than safri on his own and neither has his ability to pass to someone in a yellow shirt when moving the ball forward - any fool can keep possession with safe sideways or backwards short passes but it gives uys what we have - painfully slow attacking play demonstrating enormous lack of confidence.

Can PG give players that confidence?  It seems not   

Russell has done ok. The frenchman is crap. And he is also very stupid. He clearly didnt want to be out there, and engineered his sending off. Strangely enough we sounded more solid with 9 men. Perhaps beacuse Martin and Spillane give a toss. Many of these wastes of skin clearly dont.  

[quote user="charlies dad"]Russell has done ok. The frenchman is crap. And he is also very stupid. He clearly didnt want to be out there, and engineered his sending off. Strangely enough we sounded more solid with 9 men. Perhaps beacuse Martin and Spillane give a toss. Many of these wastes of skin clearly dont.  [/quote]

This is so not true CD. I''m sorry but you see what you want to see. However, I''m not going to stick up for Brellier, I said elsewhere that his actions in getting booked and then sent off were inexcusable but he certainly was not one of those who didn''t want to be out there. Did you seriously think Martin looked as though he cared or gave a toss? I don''t want to say too much about how he looked because he is a young player who has a big talent but something has obviously tempararily gone wrong.

Let me tell you that the player who came on who played like he cared or gave a toss was Chris Brown. A player who has always given everything for our club despite the way he has been treated by the press and the fans. Brown showed he cared and for once the fans actually appreciated it because I think he was the only player who was applauded during the entire shamnolic 90 minutes and that was when he won us our only corner on his own surrounded by Wolves players.

Now all this does not mean I am happy to settle for Chris Brown to be our centreforward and score no goals or I am happy with what I paid good money to endure yesterday. But for goodness sake say it for what it was and if that means criticising favourites then do it.

We may never know how Grant was going to include a fit and more impessive  Fozzy, as well as Smith, but it has to be said that on Saturday we had a midfiled with neither bite nor creativity. Both their goals came from player running at a back-pedaling defence. We like to play wingers, but on the left we have Hux who does not defendm or Lappin who is game but slight, and on the right normally Crost/Chadwick, but at Molineux Russell. You can get away defensively with an effective two man midfield if one of them is Grabeson, or dare I say even Garry Holt at his best.But when you have a defence which has problems - Doc, Otse (good going forward but...), then an underweight midfield is going to put pressure on the defence. For the past year or two I think that three CDs we have used have generally performed well - they have certainly bottled up some prolific strikers, and goals have regularly come from opposing midfielders. They have made mistakes, and Doc certainly worries me, but often when they are slated the fault is with the midfield. Since we have no Ethu to turn up sometimes, or Francis or Holt, I''m afraid that we have trouble.I would like to think that when Fozzy and Smith are available we shall have more creativity, but if Brellier cannot supply it we shall need some steel from someone else.