Sign in to follow this  
Dicky

Worty Outers

So, all happy now?  A manager who took over when we were in relegation trouble, got us into the play off final , got us promoted, one game away from Premiership survival, brought  in some of the best players the club has seen, driven out by the mindless instant gratification demands of the moaning fans. 

Trouble is, I do believe that many are happy now, because they can really have a good moan, slag off all involved in the club including a series of witch hunts, maybe even have another demo where all of the whingers can get together and feeds off each other and how right they are.

Whatever happened to just supporting your club through good times and bad.  Enjoying the day out and getting behind the team.  By all means have a good moan when things are going badly, but get behind the team rather than doing everything you can to destroy their confidence.

Of course things are not rosy at the moment, but things have been worse and they will get better. 

As for the comments that the only people on here who care for the club are those that don''t go and gloat at every opportunity, maybe that''s an indictment of growing up under Tony Blair''s spin.

I for one will support MY club through thick and thin.  I honestly believe that the Board, Management and Players want us to get out of this mess and this job will be made easier with the support of the fans.

I was never in favour or Peter Grant, but whilst he is in charge, he will have my support.

Bring on Man City....

Quote from Dicky -

"Of course things are not rosy at the moment, but things have been worse and they will get better. "

Can you please elaborate on the highlighted section in your sentence above.  You must be referring to pre 1980 when things have been worse as nothing has been worse since the early 80''s. 

I said it last year when Worthington went ,that our next manager needed -almost as much as being a good coach - to have good contacts in the transfer market. Unfortunately one year on the only people that Grant seems to be able to attratct are Scots whom obviously know Grant from his playing days - or players that have previously played for us, who dare I say have come home to retire??.

The whole Bryan Gunn -Mr.Fixit thing obviously isn''t working as none of our signings are down to him and his contacts (correct me if I''m wrong?).

This whole "It''s difficult to attract players to Norfolk" thing is complete rubbish when you cosider that Okocha was persuaded to move to a dump like Hull.

The fact is that it is the MANAGER that attracts a player to play for a club- something that our board seriously misunderstood when they appointed Grant.

I certainly agree with a fair chunk of this - I do find it bizarre in the extreme how some people hold their non-attendance as some sort of emblem of how great a supporter they are (clearly the case as they seem to feel the need to mention it every other post).   In seasons gone by, people who stopped going to games during the hard times were considered fairweather supporters, and IMO nothing has changed to alter this.  However people want to dress it up, to desert the club now epitomises that tag as it is precisely when things are not going so well that they need full support.

[quote user="Dicky"]

So, all happy now?  A manager who took over when we were in relegation trouble, got us into the play off final , got us promoted, one game away from Premiership survival, brought  in some of the best players the club has seen, driven out by the mindless instant gratification demands of the moaning fans. 

Trouble is, I do believe that many are happy now, because they can really have a good moan, slag off all involved in the club including a series of witch hunts, maybe even have another demo where all of the whingers can get together and feeds off each other and how right they are.

Whatever happened to just supporting your club through good times and bad.  Enjoying the day out and getting behind the team.  By all means have a good moan when things are going badly, but get behind the team rather than doing everything you can to destroy their confidence.

Of course things are not rosy at the moment, but things have been worse and they will get better. 

As for the comments that the only people on here who care for the club are those that don''t go and gloat at every opportunity, maybe that''s an indictment of growing up under Tony Blair''s spin.

I for one will support MY club through thick and thin.  I honestly believe that the Board, Management and Players want us to get out of this mess and this job will be made easier with the support of the fans.

I was never in favour or Peter Grant, but whilst he is in charge, he will have my support.

Bring on Man City....

[/quote]

in your opinion Dicky, should Nigel Worthington still be in charge of Norwich City and if so why? which direction were we heading in under his leadership in your opinion?

jas :)

[quote user="Dicky"]

[/quote]And just how does Peter Grant support the team? By whining to the press. Every week it''s another excuse. Blaming someone or

something else. Be it how the recently

relegated Premiership clubs are signing the players he wanted. How the

loan market is so unfair. How the squad has too many injuries. How the

players he really wanted for his team, like Earnshaw, have been sold.

Then in post-match interviews he publicly slates the current team, and

the current players individually. Has he no idea how to maintain the

morale and team spirit of the current players. His players. And of course he never points the finger at the board of directors.You may support the team, but Peter Grant certainly doesn''t. He currently thinks they are an embarrassment. He may be right, but isn''t it his job to change it? You can keep your blind faith and devotion to the manager. The rest of us will think for ourselves.

Happy? you must be joking. And dont even go there about worthington. Do you seriously beleive we would be any better off if this lily livered board hadnt sacked him after Burnley last season. Just take a look at Northern Ireland - hes doing superbly there isnt he?  Things have been worse? When? Yesterdays match was absolutely disgraceful, an insult. Mindless, instant gratification? 3 years of this muck and no sign of an end to it? Whats bloody instant about it? Last season was crap, the season before was crap - and this season is crap - some ''kneejerk'' ! If you want to beleive in the board players and management thats your right - but dont take out your own disatisfaction  about our pathetic results and the sad state of the club on supporters who arent happy with it - but who follow the shirt and not the personality.   

Do you thin kwe''d be any better off with Worthy?

A change was needed then, and unfortunately a chage is needed now as a wrong appointment was made then!

[quote user="charlies dad"]Happy? you must be joking. And dont even go there about worthington. Do you seriously beleive we would be any better off if this lily livered board hadnt sacked him after Burnley last season. Just take a look at Northern Ireland - hes doing superbly there isnt he?  Things have been worse? When? Yesterdays match was absolutely disgraceful, an insult. Mindless, instant gratification? 3 years of this muck and no sign of an end to it? Whats bloody instant about it? Last season was crap, the season before was crap - and this season is crap - some ''kneejerk'' ! If you want to beleive in the board players and management thats your right - but dont take out your own disatisfaction  about our pathetic results and the sad state of the club on supporters who arent happy with it - but who follow the shirt and not the personality.   [/quote]

Well said! 3 seasons of utter rubbish and who''s to blame for not sacking Worthy sooner and putting a no-mark like Grant in charge? The spineless board; sack ''em all!

[quote user="Dicky"]

Bring on Man City....

[/quote]

Carry on Dicky old son but its not the Whittles,Rickys,Clucks and Smudger who are damaging this club.....Oh no i suggest you look a little closer to home.

What is your point Dicky?  I was not happy with the appointment of a rookie, let alone Peter Grant.

The only Rookie I would have liked was Bowen, but my judgement was flawed because he was my Favorite player.

Fact is Worthy had his day, and the Board in their wisdom went for the inexperienced option.  They made yet another of their blunders, and sitting where we do in the league a year on they shouldnt be surprised.

The catalyst for where we are today is Worthys poor transfer dealings since relegation - using the parachute payments so poorly and being over arrogant in assuming that ashton would be enough to get us repromoted immediately.

Since then we have been chasing our tail - confidence at the club is non existant,  funds have gone on expensively waged non committed past it players (fleming,hughes, thorne jarrett) instead of investing in the likes of vaarney when we were attractive and had the chance.

Under worthy we were going downhill just a fast without an idea of how to change it - the boards main ''crime'' remains having taken too long to say thanks and no more;l  they cannot repeat that mistake,  

[quote user="Dicky"]

Bring on Man City....

[/quote]

Yes, lets bring back "Worty"

Lets bring back Peter Thorne as well.

Worty was sacked before PG was installed as manager.

Worty deserved to be sacked, he left the next manager a poor squad.

(as well as some funky contract clauses which let Etuhu and Earnie go on the cheap)

I was convinced that whoever took over would be in for a MASSIVE rebuilding task.

Sorry, I dont miss Worty. Even if PG ends up going too.

Can i honestly ask if anybody was actually impressed when the board Announced they wanted Grant? if i recall correctly they even put out a prior statement to disuade other suitors from coming forward.

For me my first reaction,(although i really hoped i would be proven wrong,) was that it was going to be another scenerio like the John Deehan season,ie an unexperienced rookie manager being given an almost impossible task of dismantling a squad and not given adequate funds to rebuild. Grant is in over his head,he has yet to find a full compliment for his backroom staff,and despite the promise of some of his signings,some of them appear critically short of technical ability or just plain lacking in the confidence to pass the ball or move into space.His slagging off and substitution of Cureton after his brace was a disgrace.Its no wonder JC performances have subsequently dipped,same as Safs last year.And Hux before he had to make a public U-turn.

Sorry for me Grant is not the man to rebuild city,even to the standards of 20004,let alone the standards of 1992.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

The catalyst for where we are today is Worthys poor transfer dealings since relegation - using the parachute payments so poorly and being over arrogant in assuming that ashton would be enough to get us repromoted immediately.

Since then we have been chasing our tail - confidence at the club is non existant,  funds have gone on expensively waged non committed past it players (fleming,hughes, thorne jarrett) instead of investing in the likes of vaarney when we were attractive and had the chance.

Under worthy we were going downhill just a fast without an idea of how to change it - the boards main ''crime'' remains having taken too long to say thanks and no more;l  they cannot repeat that mistake,  

[/quote]

Ummm, Worty didn`t see much of the parachute payments mate- the club actually made a £3million profit on transfers in 05/06. Want to bet that the forthcoming accounts for the last financial year won`t show another big profit on players? Oh but i forgot, cheaps and freebies with no pedigree such as Jarrett, Louis-Jean, Colin, Hughes, Thorne etc. should have seen us storm back to the prem.....

See if you can spot where the real problem is......

[quote user="Marmite"]

[quote user="charlies dad"]Happy? you must be joking. And dont even go there about worthington. Do you seriously beleive we would be any better off if this lily livered board hadnt sacked him after Burnley last season. Just take a look at Northern Ireland - hes doing superbly there isnt he?  Things have been worse? When? Yesterdays match was absolutely disgraceful, an insult. Mindless, instant gratification? 3 years of this muck and no sign of an end to it? Whats bloody instant about it? Last season was crap, the season before was crap - and this season is crap - some ''kneejerk'' ! If you want to beleive in the board players and management thats your right - but dont take out your own disatisfaction  about our pathetic results and the sad state of the club on supporters who arent happy with it - but who follow the shirt and not the personality.   [/quote]

Well said! 3 seasons of utter rubbish and who''s to blame for not sacking Worthy sooner and putting a no-mark like Grant in charge? The spineless board; sack ''em all!

[/quote]

2 Seasons of rubbish.  We made a decent stab of the premiership on a shoestring budget, played some good football and gave me some of my best moments as a norwich fan.  Harsh to say it was a season of utter rubbish.

Agreed that the change was made too late though.  If we were going to do it we should have done it at the end of the first season down.  That would have given the new man a chance to do something with a decent transfer budget.

[quote user="jimmy500"][quote user="Marmite"]

[/quote]

2 Seasons of rubbish.  We made a decent stab of the premiership on a shoestring budget, played some good football and gave me some of my best moments as a norwich fan.  Harsh to say it was a season of utter rubbish.

Agreed that the change was made too late though.  If we were going to do it we should have done it at the end of the first season down.  That would have given the new man a chance to do something with a decent transfer budget.

[/quote] By 3 seasons Jimmy, i was taking THIS season into account.The premier season was not total rubbish in my opinion.

In answer to a previous question, yes I would rather have Worthy in charge than Grant.  He has experience, has shown he can take us up, is open minded in his transfers (not just Scottish - I have no problem with Scottish players, as long as they are good), attracted some top players and mostly had their respect.  Grant has very limited experience, I am not convinced by his transfers and doesn''t seem to have anybody''s respect.

Still, what do I know.

Fair do''s, I know some posters slag the premiership season which annoys the hell out of me.  Bit premature taking this season into account though.  Sunderland were in a similar position this time last year and look what happened to them............

[quote user="Dicky"]

In answer to a previous question, yes I would rather have Worthy in charge than Grant.  He has experience, has shown he can take us up, is open minded in his transfers (not just Scottish - I have no problem with Scottish players, as long as they are good), attracted some top players and mostly had their respect.  Grant has very limited experience, I am not convinced by his transfers and doesn''t seem to have anybody''s respect.

Still, what do I know.

[/quote]

good points dicky but look early on in the Worthy era... an untested manager with little experiance (a short spell at Blackpool apart), you say your not convinced by Grants transfers but what about Easton? Libbra? Neilsen? Abbey? reading those names now it shows how poor the league was that we got to the playoffs with those players playing regularly (and Darel sutch... although of course not a worthy signing).

How many people would take Strihavka over Libbra? Cureton over Abbey? or Rusty over Easton?

[quote user="jimmy500"]

Fair do''s, I know some posters slag the premiership season which annoys the hell out of me.  Bit premature taking this season into account though.  Sunderland were in a similar position this time last year and look what happened to them............

[/quote] Sunderland  brought in a new manager, invested heavily and took the league by storm. I would love it if we did the same.  

I was as surprised as most when Grant was appointed, and I am very disappointed  with the present position. After his well-planned success in obtaining Bosmans, and "dealing with " the late departures of the deserters, I had hoped for better things.I am disappointed that he was not able to find a CD better than we have already and within our budget, and that Smith was injured without playing a competitive match and Fozzy soon after.It may be that with all fit and available we still do not have a top six side, but I think that he deserves longer to replace the deadwood he inherited and build a good side on limited means. He has had 11 months and for the last half season without our only effective striker. His predecessor had five years, in obvious decline over the last two at least, and millions to spend. We may have to endure more disappointment before we emerge, but I do not really see the point of changing manager in the present circumstances and he deserves our support rather than the hysterical braying.

[quote user="Confused Des"]

Sorry for me Grant is not the man to rebuild city,even to the standards of 20004,let alone the standards of 1992.

[/quote]

You don''t happen to have a time machine do you Des? Is that why you''re confused? [;)]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Dicky"]

Still, what do I know.

[/quote]

good points dicky but look early on in the Worthy era... an untested manager with little experiance (a short spell at Blackpool apart), you say your not convinced by Grants transfers but what about Easton? Libbra? Neilsen? Abbey? reading those names now it shows how poor the league was that we got to the playoffs with those players playing regularly (and Darel sutch... although of course not a worthy signing).

How many people would take Strihavka over Libbra? Cureton over Abbey? or Rusty over Easton?

[/quote]

Jas - I think you''re being a bit selective over the comparisons, but I think it is even more testiment to Worthy that with the players he had, he managed to get the best out of them.  He got them playing as a team, which Grant cannot seem to get them to do.

Still, football is "a funny old game" - who knows what''s gonna happen.  As supporters, let''s do all we can and get behind the team.

[quote user="charlies dad"][quote user="jimmy500"]

[/quote] Sunderland  brought in a new manager, invested heavily and took the league by storm. I would love it if we did the same.  [/quote]

New board too. 

We need to invest heavily.  Throw some money at some very good loan players, premiership quality.  I don''t care if we are in debt we will have to borrow more to fund it.  We missed the opportunity to gamble when we had parachute payments to play with.

We need to spend spend spend now and bring in the quality we desperately need.  Hopefully 1 or 2 really good players will bring out the best of the good players we already have who just arent performing.