Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Has Grant lost the dressing room???

Ive been behind Grant from day one as i liked everything he had to say and was a breath of fresh air from Worthy''s mundane ramblings after a loss, he pulled no punches and said what we all thought. I was hoping he was the man to take us forward but it looks like his time is up, already.From whats floating around at the moment it appears he has lost the dressing room, all speculation of course but clearly Huckerby has no respect for him, and according to a few rumours a few of the players dont either. This sounds like he has lost the dressing room, if indeed he ever had it. If he has its all over.Regarding the team, exactly who''s fault do you think it is that were not performing? Grants for not motivating them? or the Board for not funding any big name signings. You can argue that Grant hasnt had much money to get in quality signings and has had to work with what he''s got, and on paper he''s made some excellent signings in Marshall, Semmy and Cureton. Strihavka will in time prove his worth i believe, but may need time to adapt to english football. Russell is a good signing, but will always be backup for Fozzy, Smith and Brellier in my opinion. Brellier comes with a good pedigree and i believe weve not seen the best of him.Fotheringham and Lappin have been good signings for Grant, and Brown has played well this season. If Brown had scored 3 or 4 goals i think we''d be looking at the different picture at the moment, is that Grants fault? Perhaps yes for buying him, but if the lads got ability its not Grants fault he cant deliver on the pitch. Brown has done everything else bar score and to be fair as looked like a viable option up front for us so far, if he''d have got a goal or two everyone would be singing his praises cause he has played well and led the line to good effect, but alas no goals and people forget his hard work.Things could be so different at the moment if certain players would have delivered a bit more than they have. A few more goals here and there by certain players and we''d be in the top half of the table and not talking about Grant getting sacked. That is the fine line in football.I think Grant has been very unlucky tho. The injuries to Fotheringham, Smith and Huckerby have been huge and is the main reason we are where we are. You cant hope to score too many goals playing 2 defensive midfielders in Brellier and Russell. If we''d have had Fozzy, Smith and Hucks fit from the start things would have been very different. Chuck in a few goals from Brown to compliment his hard work and we''d be in the top 6 right now. Weve basically been playing with 1 attacker in Cureton, no wonder we havent won many games, weve not had enough winners available. Fozzy, Smith and Hucks are match winners, without them look what happened. Yes Hucks is back now but he looks like a player that hasnt had a pre season.Unfortunately it looks like Grants time is up. Theres only going to be one winner between Grant and Huckerby. If Grant drops Hucks for his comments or if he thinks he is undermining his authority the fans will not stand for it and the board will take notice.Its a shame because simply where do Norwich go from here if Grant is sacked???OTBC

Who knows if he has lost the dressing room! On Saturdays evidence he could have, on Tuesdays he hadn''t. We can only speculate but it just seems strange that Dublin signed for him for another year if things were so bad. I would suggest there is unrest in the dressing room, it could be Grant, but it could be at player level.

Excellent post Barclayman, I personally was never keen on Grant thought he was too inexperienced and niaively thought that the board would pull in someone if not Curbishley, certainly a manager of that stature when Worthy departed. But no, just as we were later teased over being interested in Sharpe and then Eastwood we get second best. It pains me to use this expression but I think that a club with 20,000 or so season ticket holders and all the good facilities ought to have not only looked for but secured the services of an established manager with a track record in this division. The board clearly had no intention whatsoever of doing this. Don''t get me wrong I''m all for giving people a chance and decided that though Grant would not have even been on my list let alone selected, as a season ticket holder I have to accept the board''s decision and he got my 100% backing. I have no pleasure in feeling I was right. I really did think after a short space of time he would pull it round. Like others I think the majority of his signings are good ones and like Barclayman think they will mostly come good. Problem is you don''t have time in this business, if it takes 30 or so games to gel you can be as good as relegated by then. There are examples of managers who had virtually no experience coming good rapidly but I regret on this occasion it does not look too likely. Having been a manager myself (not in football I hasten to add) a golden rule, do not slag people off in public absolute no-no and if you lose the confidence of those you manage you may as well pack it in.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Who knows if he has lost the dressing room! On Saturdays evidence he could have, on Tuesdays he hadn''t. We can only speculate but it just seems strange that Dublin signed for him for another year if things were so bad. I would suggest there is unrest in the dressing room, it could be Grant, but it could be at player level.

[/quote]

Exactly- who knows? Rumour says he may have lost elements of the dressing room, but what''s behind that we''re even more in the dark about. I will say this though (again) - against Cardiff they played more like a team than I''ve seen in a while.

I managed to get to the Palace game the other week, the first game I have seen live under Grant. All I can say is that my seat is directly behind the City dugout and in my opinion Grants behaviour in the 2nd half was, although passionate, a disgrace. The language he used and the times that Jim Duffy had to step in and calm him down were amasing. How anyone who behaves in such way can command respect and support from subordinates beggars belief. Having experienced that behaviour I do not  think Grant has the leadership capabilities to lead our club and I think he will fall on his own sword sooner rather than later due to his behaviour and not just results on the pitch. The players on the bench were just looking at each other in amasement as he went bollistic - I am surprised the men in white coats and a straight jacket werent bought to the dug out.