Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Rider

Grant - could this be the problem!

If I went round saying he will do this job he will do that job, you''d see them everyday and say, ''oh, he does that job well. But for whatever reason when the white curtains go back to go and perform on the pitch they are not performing,” he said.

“That is everybody - big players are not performing, not doing what they are good at. We are not creating any chances, we are not getting on the ball to create, we are giving the ball away cheaply, all the basics. If you don''t do the basics right in life never mind in football you have not got a hope in hell.

“You don''t give yourself a chance - if you don''t give yourself a chance you have absolutely no chance of winning a game of football and that is with doing what you are good at, doing that proper and doing that well.

“You can''t wait for things to happen, you can''t wait for other guys to take the mantle up and lift you, you have got to be prepared for that as a footballer, you have got to be prepared for that in your mind at every game. It is not about the last game, it is not about the next game it is about the game you are involved in at the moment in time and then doing it consistently to give yourself the confidence, because if you hide away from it you will never get confident because you will be asked to do something in a game and if you''re waiting for somebody else to do it for you, you lose possession and all of a sudden your confidence starts waning.

“So you are saying how do you lift them? You just keep preparing them properly, in the hope that they take on board what you asking them to do and you hope that they do their individual jobs well because that''s the only way you get out of it.

“It is no use putting your head in the sand and crying about it because that''s not going to make it any better. You have to stand up, it is tough times, there is no doubt about that.”

Not my words but those of PG in todays Pink Un front page article.

Now we all have our opinions on his team selection, tactics and transfer dealings. That is no different to any other club, fans always have varying views from the extremely sensible and well researched to those bordering on lunacy!  

Take transfers, all managers will make mistakes (with benefit of hindsight). Look at the God Ferguson, he''s been through a clutch of keepers since Schmiechel and we all remember the Roy Keane replacement don''t we - a certain Djemba Djemba, where''s he now I wonder?
I honestly believe that man management is at the forefront of Grant''s problems and that manifests itself in that verbal diarrhoea I cut and pasted above. Read it again, go on. Does anyone truly understand what he is trying to say??

In any walk of life, a good boss does not have to go into a massive verbal spiel to get his point across. He leads from the front, makes his point clearly and unambiguously  and reserves personal criticism for a 1:1 session. With Grant we are (were) told by the Board that he was appointed for his ''passion''. What that means in his case is the ability to ''talk for England'' (or should that be Scotland!). In that respect I honestly feel that the Board were conned into believing all the verbal twaddle and made the basic mistake of equating that to ''ability''. I was at the January AGM and although on the one hand I did admire him for his obvious enthusiasm in his attitude to his job I was disturbed at how he just went on and on and on and on........... So much so that Roger Munby on a number of occasions had to politely cut him off to move on to the next question.

Now footballers are well known for sometimes not being the ''sharpest tools in the box''. If Grant talks at team meetings, training sessions ect. like he does at fans meetings then you can just see many of the players sitting back, chewing gum and literally ''switching off''. In short their response is probably along the lines of ''Yeah, Yeah whatever''. What that ultimately leads to of course, is confusion, apathy and a lack of respect in the manager. I fear we have that here.

What Grant needs is not another ridiculous ...''two games to save his job'' kind of final ultimatum we gave Worthy but to get a respected coach in (maybe just short term) who could effectively take over as boss whilst PG goes on a man management course. I think that may be the only way of saving him in this job and any future ones come to that.               

you make great points yellow Rider.. and although he never cut it as a manager how about getting John Deehan back as a coach? he''s been there and done it and knows how to get a team organised in training.

a good manager needs a good Assistant.. i dont know if Jimmy Duffy is the man for the job.

Succesful clubs have always had people who have been in and around the area for a long time and know the game inside out.

Mourinho and clark, Fergie and Kidd, to name but 2...

indeed even bill shankly and Matt Busby laid huge praise on their assistants for the success their clubs acheived.

jas :)

[quote user="In the blood"]

Wind the clock back just over a year Yellow and Worthington was saying exactly the same thing!

[/quote]

That struck me too In The Blood. Different players though!

And again from Grant in today''s PinkUn:

"They look edgy, they take too many touches. And I have been there as a player - sometimes you understand that a five-yard pass seems as if it''s a 55-yard pass when you are not playing well, when you are having that wee bit of a lack of confidence in yourself.

"And that is why you see me like a maniac at the side of the pitch, it''s because of the basics they are not doing well."

Peter, maybe when they are not playing well and lacking confidence you should stop acting like a maniac at the side of the pitch. It clearly isn''t helping. Does it ever help if you''re feeling a bit nervous and unsure of what to do, to have someone yelling at you, shouting incomprehensible instructions, pointing, and letting it be known that if you don''t do as you''re told you''ll be out?

It''s not the whole problem (I wish it was) but it wouldn''t do any harm to try a calmer approach...

Problem is, Mazy, managers are almost obliged to shout and point and gesticulate wildly - in the modern game, this translates as "passion", something that has to be shown in everything managers and players do.  The main reason given for disliking Eriksson while he was England manager was the same old complaint that he lacked "passion"... and so we ended up with Steve McLaren.

I wonder who we''ll end up with after Grant?

[quote user="fuzzyfelt"]

Problem is, Mazy, managers are almost obliged to shout and point and gesticulate wildly - in the modern game, this translates as "passion", something that has to be shown in everything managers and players do.  The main reason given for disliking Eriksson while he was England manager was the same old complaint that he lacked "passion"... and so we ended up with Steve McLaren.

I wonder who we''ll end up with after Grant?

[/quote]

We need someone cool, calm and collected on the touchline with their arms folded.

Fickle? Never.