Sign in to follow this  
H4H

where did it all go wrong???!!!!?????

Where did it all go wrong???

Apart from the obvious 6-0 at Fulham, how have we got ourselves in this position? Why 3 years on do we find ourselves 20th in the Championship with a S**t manger, S**t players, no money…… Other clubs get relegated and apart from a handful they are all fighting in the top end of the table. Why since we got relegated have we been S**t. I can’t work it out, I cant put a finger on it.

Did we hang on to Worthington to long?

Is PG rubbish?

Have the board made a mess of things?

Do we expect to much from our club???

I can’t work it out.

Any ideas are more than welcome……

Thats easy.

The board had a three step plan. It was called the "Charlton Plan".

1. get promoted

2. Get relegated (but with lots of cash)

3. Bounce straight back even stronger.

Steps 1 and 2 were easy enough but when step 3 failed to happen they didn''t have a clue what to do next.

And they still don''t have a clue.

Hux has become a senior, and from this season so far it may be that his hip problem means he will never be quite the same. Ashton was replaced by Earnie, I feel a real step down, and Ernie left because of the escape clause. Dickson also escaped. Both of these were late and at very short notice. Safri has gone, although I would not put him in the same potential class as the others. So we have lost our match winners, the ones we could expect to make an impact or deal well with the ball if others didn''t know what to do.If you lose your match-winners, then there has to be a high general level among the rest. This is not the case. I mention no names, but there are one or two who would command little transfer fees, there are some who are under-performing, there are some who are not the players they were, and there are some on whom the jury is still out.Not very promising! There are one or two youngsters who may become very good - Martin, Spillane, Renton, Smart, Rudd, and one or two who may join the adequate - Rossi, Cave-Brown, but the full contribution of most of these is a season or two away.Add to this a tendency which has been with us almost since we were promoted, apart from a brief period in the Premiership, to "fail to turn up", to lose confidence or concentration - which nobody seems to be able to explain. I suspect that what I have shown will explain most of the disappointment we feel. I make no comment about managers or about levels of transfer spending, but they, too, are surely relevant.

I think we need to take a long look at our bored to see where it''s all gone worng, the minute we got relegated from the Premiership in 2004 we should have just went all out for the Championship title the next season instead we needlessly let go of some good players with average Champ players at best to replace them, we were in the perfect position to just go all out that season and make sure we were straight back in the Premiership, then we could have taken it from there and I have no doubt we wouldn''t be in this mess we are now. Sack the bored!

Having an incompetant board who made wrong decision after wrong decision over the past 3/4 seasons. They have invested in non football activities whilst the football side of things, which is fundamentally what a football club is about, goes to ruin.

Doncaster and Turners sob story around the finances are as clear an indication as anyone should want that they have got it wrong - they get no sympathy from me - they need to be held accountable. They have borrowed too much and they have pee''d away the opportunity the Premiership money gave us to put the building blocks of a team capable of challenging the play off for seasons to come. Yet despite the fact our "team" is now a poor shadow of what it need to be the debts prior to promotion have risen significantly. OK we paid some back last season - whoopee doo - how do they think they are going to pay the rest off ??  

Selling players to service the debt - are they having a laugh who in that side is worth anything ??

The only 2 ways to pay that debt off is a) promotion or b) significant new investment. We all know we aren''t going to get promotion so that leaves b).

Chipping away and selling players each season and not replacing them is only going to lead us down one route - relegation and probably sooner rather than later. Maybe thats the plan - so they can go into adminstration and wipe of the debt that way. To be honest that is more likely than promotion.

Doncaster as the CEO - MUST at a minimum be held accountable for the financial mess we are in - and he can take the rest of the board with him... THEY GOT IT WRONG BIG TIME. time for accountability.  

Whilst its all turned sour so quickly, and I too am not at all pleased with our appalling start to the season, there are no easy solutions. Not long ago we were excited about the prospects of spending £2M+ on Billy Sharpe and another £2M on Freddy Eastwood - just take a look at how they have performed for their new clubs, and maybe there is a crumb of comfort that another £4M wasn''t wasted. And where are all these CH''s we want so badly. Frankly available ones are not out there. So whilst I join in the clamour for a big improvement, I really do not see any ready made solutions in the short term. And throwing money (or the Turners money) at the Sharpe''s, Eastwoods, Davenports etc, is not a ready made solution. So lets see what Spillane & Cave-Brown can do - now could just be their big opportunity to show they are good enough and want it badly enough, as we do!