Sign in to follow this  
Buncey

Martin Is not a midfielder grant!

Martin is not a midfielder Grant! He is a striker. He is the best young striker we''ve had since craig bellamy. Do not screw him up!

martin played well in centre mid for the reserves aganist luton.  showed awareness, neat touches, and at every opportunity was looking to get forward and link play up with the forard line.  i was impressed with him. my only criticism post match on here, was that he occasionally dwelt on the ball too long, and as a result lost it.  however, that was LUTON reserves, not MAN CITY reserves.  arrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!i''d like to think martin could pull it off tonight - he''s a talented player, make no mistake.  but why can''t grant keep if flaming simple for once. and put players in their familiar positions.  i thought spillane looked promising when he came on for a couple of games last season, why not play him there and martin up front.  for an under pressure manager - (or perhaps he''s not with the this board) - surely its not the time to be controversally experimental.  who is advising grant on this one??? walter mitty??????

and you know that without seeing him play in midfield?

he has all the attributes to be a quality midfielder as long as he has somebody who will sit alongside him

He''s played bloody midfield before. Infact he had a stinker last season against the Binners in midfield on the left, then the right, then the middle. He is better as a striker. Why play our best and most promising player from midfield. Sigh.I guess you said the same about jarvis when he looked like a future England no. 9. Oh well.

[quote user="Fellas"]Martin is not a midfielder Grant! He is a striker. He is the best young striker we''ve had since craig bellamy. Do not screw him up!
[/quote]

im failing to see the problem right now........since he didnt play in midfield last night for a single second, and as pointed out he has played many minutes in that role at other levels, id rather it was him than the Doc wouldnt you?.

Well we have loads of options in my midfield and I just hope he just doesn''t play there. He is a much better player upfront than in the midfield. Im also not having a pop at grant for everything he does I kept saying the same at worthington for keep putting jarvis and henderson in stupid positions. Look at murray too, appears he plays CB and not LB not a shock. Players prefer to play in the position they are best at.

Regardless of where Martin played the majority of his time in the academy, he''s clearly better up front. He was drafted into the first team as a striker, scored five in seven and looked really tidy with no prior experience of adult football. When he played in midfield (particularly against Ipswich, and particularly out wide), he looked lost, struggled to get into the game and didn''t seem to have the defensive attributes to do his position justice. Versatility is all well and good, but the lad has clear goalscoring potential, so I think he should play as a striker. A player of his quality could undoubtedly play anywhere in midfield or attack in the academy side, but in the rough and tumble of Championship football, he''s surely more suited to playing up top where he has more licence to concentrate on creating and scoring goals, rather than having to worry about positioning, tracking back, supporting his full-back etc.

Hmmm - as he was not played there, I think this was Grant talking up his midfield options, to try and keep Man City guessing.  If you don''t have many options in midfield, why not talk up a striker to play there, the opposition then has more options to consider.Anyway - doesn''t Alan Smith play as a holding midfielder for Newcastle?

Well grants mind games worked with me. Too be honest though this is ridiculous. Chris Sutton was a very talented player who actually play both positions to a top club level. Martin struggled in midfield against ipswich. He is also no Smith anchor player in the midfield either. Sometimes I wonder. He scores goals, not make tackles. Smith never scores goals so i''d count him as a better midfielder than a striker. But I guess all you people are right. Lappin in the middle, hux on the right, chadders on the left, doherty up front, dublin in goal, murray at left back and chris brown as striker. Yeah that all makes sence, that''s why we''re doing so badly.