Sign in to follow this  
gissing canary

Spillane, MOM, must start? Chris Martin?

I just read the post "just back from Manchester", or something like that.  Good post, but I was wondering anyone elses thoughts?  Was Spillane that good?  Is he therefore a definite start for saturday?  And what does Chris Martin have to do to get a start??

I know he slowed at the back end of the season, but he looked top class.  I was willing to give Brown a chance, and the guy has his uses, but he just cant score, so therefore we have to change the ideas.  And I dont get why Grant wont turn to Martin? 

It took Iwan Roberts a long time to find his goal scoring boots.  Once he found them he became a legend and scored loads of goals for us.

I think Chris Brown may be the same.  Don''t forget that Chris Brown is still quite young himself, he holds the ball up well and works hard he just needs that first goal.  Once he gets it I would back him to hit double figures this season.

Chris Martin is unlucky but I have heard that his attitude stank when he returned for pre-season training.  He needs to earn his chance all over again.

[quote user="gissing canary"]

I just read the post "just back from Manchester", or something like that.  Good post, but I was wondering anyone elses thoughts?  Was Spillane that good?  Is he therefore a definite start for saturday?  And what does Chris Martin have to do to get a start??

I know he slowed at the back end of the season, but he looked top class.  I was willing to give Brown a chance, and the guy has his uses, but he just cant score, so therefore we have to change the ideas.  And I dont get why Grant wont turn to Martin? 

[/quote]

If he doesn''t start on Saturday, Grant will only have himself to blame for the backlash. It will prove, in my opinion, that his stubborness truly outweighs any rational appreciation of what are the strengths and weaknesses in his squad.

What Chris Martin has to do is to get over himself - he''s in the typical Norwich kiddie comfort zone, where as soon as you break into the first team and get a couple of good reviews, you''ve made it. That did for Ryan Jarvis''s career, and it could do the same for Martin.This is just my opinion, and it''s said more in sorrow than in anger. Well actually, it''s said in sorrow AND anger, because he has big talent.

Chris Brwon will become a goalscoring legend. NO CHANCE!!! The new Iwan roberts, your havin a laugh, keep taking those pills.

[quote user="HUDDY"]

Chris Brwon will become a goalscoring legend. NO CHANCE!!! The new Iwan roberts, your havin a laugh, keep taking those pills.

[/quote]

Give me a good reason why not.  Every other part of his game has improved, why not his goal scoring.  I am not saying he will ever be a free scoring striker but I am saying that he will score goals.

[quote user="jimmy500"][quote user="HUDDY"]

[/quote]

Give me a good reason why not.  Every other part of his game has improved, why not his goal scoring.  I am not saying he will ever be a free scoring striker but I am saying that he will score goals.

[/quote]Because he misses from 2 yards. That''s why.

[quote user="jimmy500"]

I think Chris Brown may be the same.  Don''t forget that Chris Brown is still quite young himself, he holds the ball up well and works hard he just needs that first goal.  Once he gets it I would back him to hit double figures this season.

[/quote]

i seriously hope that thats a p!$$ take?!

jas :)

You may not have meant too, but you seem to have changed what you said, unless i interpreted your first post on this subject in the wrong way.

You said Iwan Roberts scored lots of goals and was a goalscroing legend and that Browncould well go on to do the same, to which i replied no chance. Now you are saying, he ''will never be free scoring'' , and saying he will score. I''m sure he might get 1 goal  for Norwich, but Brown in my opinion will never become a regualr scorer.

Why? as you ask me.

Because he doesnt get into goal scoring positions os its hard for him to score, secondly this is backed up by the fact he has never scored goals regulalry in his carear. Ok, Roberts had a slow start to his norwich carear but there is no real similarities, he scored goals wherever he went at a good rate, Brown hasnt done that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iwan_Roberts

[quote user="Fellas"][quote user="jimmy500"][quote user="HUDDY"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Because he misses from 2 yards. That''s why.
[/quote]

At the moment.  Once he gets his first goal and his confidence improves then who knows......And no this is not a pi$s take.  Remember Diego Forlan couldn''t hit a barn door for Man Utd, then he got his first goal, moved to spain and the rest is history.....Peter Crouch was the same at Aston Villa.

Shame you all doubt because the rest of his game really has come on in leaps and bounds.  He just needs his first goal and the injection of confidence that will bring....

[quote user="jimmy500"][quote user="Fellas"][quote user="jimmy500"][quote user="HUDDY"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

At the moment.  Once he gets his first goal and his confidence improves then who knows......And no this is not a pi$s take.  Remember Diego Forlan couldn''t hit a barn door for Man Utd, then he got his first goal, moved to spain and the rest is history.....Peter Crouch was the same at Aston Villa.

Shame you all doubt because the rest of his game really has come on in leaps and bounds.  He just needs his first goal and the injection of confidence that will bring....

[/quote]

Yes.. it took forlan 2 years and a change to a slower paced League and compeltely differetn style of football for the goals to come! lets send chris Brown to New Zealand then...

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="jimmy500"][quote user="Fellas"][quote user="jimmy500"][quote user="HUDDY"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes.. it took forlan 2 years and a change to a slower paced League and compeltely differetn style of football for the goals to come! lets send chris Brown to New Zealand then...

[/quote]

Slower paced but better technically.  Chris Brown is doing alright at everything but scoring goals.  I still maintain that he just needs to get his first 1.  I am willing to have a bet that he hits double figures this season.

[quote user="jimmy500"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="jimmy500"][quote user="Fellas"][quote user="jimmy500"][quote user="HUDDY"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Slower paced but better technically.  Chris Brown is doing alright at everything but scoring goals.  I still maintain that he just needs to get his first 1.  I am willing to have a bet that he hits double figures this season.

[/quote]

Jimmy I like Chris Brown, and think he has a use as 1 of our 4 strikers, but double figures? 

[quote user="Fellas"]Diego Forlan and Chris Brown in the same sentance!!! Does not compute!
[/quote]

How about he is similar to shevchenko!!! When he settles in, adapts and bags a couple of league goals he''ll be unstoppable!!

[quote user="Old Boy"]What Chris Martin has to do is to get over himself - he''s in the typical Norwich kiddie comfort zone, where as soon as you break into the first team and get a couple of good reviews, you''ve made it. That did for Ryan Jarvis''s career, and it could do the same for Martin.

This is just my opinion, and it''s said more in sorrow than in anger. Well actually, it''s said in sorrow AND anger, because he has big talent.
[/quote]

lol, Jarvis averaged under 180 minutes a season for his first 3 years...  Perhaps that explains why he never improved.

As for Martin, he looked good up front and terrible left wing.  I havent seen him up front recently.

[quote user="HUDDY"]

[quote user="Fellas"]Diego Forlan and Chris Brown in the same sentance!!! Does not compute![/quote]

How about he is similar to shevchenko!!! When he settles in, adapts and bags a couple of league goals he''ll be unstoppable!!

[/quote]Unstoppable as in he won''t stop scoring goals or he won''t stop missing them?[:S]

Exactly CJF. Neither of them have exactly forced themselves into the picture. Jarvis played so little because he wasn''t very good, if you''d watched him in the reserves (his showcase if he wanted to impress the manager) you''d have seen that. You prefer to blame the manager (whichever one it may be), I blame the player. It''s a high-stakes game, and if you want to win, you have to pay your dues and put in the work. Ryan hasn''t done it (yet), Martin went off the boil pretty quickly and I bet we''ll see him on loan north of the border soon if he doesn''t sort it out.This is just the same argument we had over McVeigh - whose fault was it that he never fulfilled his potential here, McVeigh''s or the manager''s? Well, it''s pretty obvious now that I was right on that one - he''s failed to make much of an impression on any other manager since he left us. Or maybe you''d say that they are all idiots too.....

agree, brown could get 12+ goals this season, if loaned out to a league 1 side.  he''s still not physically able to dominate defenders yet - his heading ability is poor, (misdirected flick-ons) glancing headers that always go the wrong side of the pose, is a reactive rather than proactive player (becuase his reactions are so slow he reacts rather than makes situations happen) and finally - has no pace.  he is a next season player for me.as for spillane, he looked promising end of last season, and by the sounds of last night, HAS developed enough to be considered a prospect for thisseason and in this league.  as for martin, he already has the talent to start and given our woeful start to the season - the reason he hasn''t figured must be down to a personality clash with grant.  i''d be drooling at having a talent like martin.  but saturday is a must win game, and we need to score goals to win - if grant is serious about being a sucess here, he and duffy should get lovey dovey with martin pronto and make up.maybe both brown and martin present differently in training - brown getting stuck in and working hard, while martin ponces about - i don''t know, but i wouldn''t be surprised if martin presents as a lazy racehorse - they say the best ones show nothing on the gallops, but blow everybody away come raceday.  martin is class and will come good.  brown just needs time, but presently he''s not good enough imho to get us challenging for top6.  i''d swop him in the blink of an eye for steve howard on loan, and if grant/duffy can''t see this i''d be worried about them getting us back to the top flight.

[quote user="HUDDY"]

[quote user="Fellas"]Diego Forlan and Chris Brown in the same sentance!!! Does not compute!
[/quote]

[/quote]

i was joking by the way!!!

[/quote]

Obviously there is a gulf in class between the 2, that is an understatement.  But I was talking in terms of waiting for the first goal and what happened after.

I honestly believe that Chris Brown will be a very good striker for Norwich eventually.  He just needs to get the monkey of his back and score that first goal. 

We also know from his hold up play (which I think he is getting better at) that he will create things for other people.

Yep, will stand by my double figures prediction.  You can all queue up to mock me at the end of the season.  Or, and I hope I am right, queue up to take your slices of humble pie.

Spillane - I don''t think PG has a choice whether to start or not start him now that Doherty is a doubt and Dion and Shacks are suspended for the Wednesday match, but regurdless of that I would say he deserves to start anyway because of his performance last night and the lack of good performances from our other CB''s.

Brown - He''s a waste of space IMO, last season I thought he was useless and this season seems to be much the same, he has poor control, no confidence and doesn''t look like he will score a goal. I went to the game against Charlton a couple of weeks back and he was awful, I lost count of the number of times he gave the ball away far too easy, not one I would pick for saturday.

Martin - Like many people have said he''s gotthe talent and IMO just needs a run of games to get his confidence up and to hit top form, I would start him upfront alongside Cureton for the game against Wednesday this saturday.