Sign in to follow this  
Graham Humphrey

Right, let's get this straight...

This whole positive/negative supporters thing has come up again today and it''s totally ridiculous, all based on last night''s match. Let''s go through it slowly and maybe everyone will start to understand, who knows.

We lost 1-0. We''re out of the cup, we didn''t score. Fact.

Man City played a weakened team (albeit one containing a £6m striker). Again, fact.

We were without six players (Drury, Huckerby, Dublin, Shackell, Brellier, Chadwick) who would be in the team normally (regardless of how good or otherwise you think they are) so that''s half a team missing for us from the outset. So we were weakened too. Yet again, fact.

We played well, showed a lot of spirit, matched them all the way through and were unlucky to get beaten. Fact.

Now, I (and others) take encouragement from our reaction to the shambles on Saturday, so yes, I was pretty pleased with how we did. Okay, we lost, we failed to score again, but we gave it a really good go.

However, it doesn''t make our current situation any better than it was before, and it doesn''t excuse our poor start to the season. It won''t mean anything it we don''t carry it on into our far more important game on Saturday.

Now I think that''s a fair assessment of the whole thing. I don''t think that people are suddenly really happy with the club after this one game, just that we''re taking positives out of an undeniably good performance. I don''t see what''s wrong with that. I don''t think many people are saying we''re a good team all of a sudden, because we''re not. Just giving credit where it''s due. After all many fans (me included) are quick enough to slag the players/manager/board off when we play poorly (i.e. almost all of this season) so I don''t think it''s unreasonable to say "Well yeah, that was a much better performance, especially given the circumstances, and though we still lost I''m satisfied with how we played".

As I said before, it hasn''t changed anything. But I''m glad we put up a real fight and not just roll over and die as we all expected.

Right. Let''s. What does seem to be perfectly straight is that collectively our current lot are a set of bottlers when the pressure is on. And dancing seals when the pressure is off?

Let''s see. October will tell.

OTBC

A very fair post Graham. Tuesdays game hasn''t changed anything but it was at least an encouraging display.

Unfortunately certain posters seem determined to split people into two camps again and give them a label again. It is of course possible to remain concerned about the overall state of the club but be encouraged by Tuesdays display.

well said graham, nobody has said we''re suddenly a good side on the back of tuesday, at the end of the day a side containing a few youngsters and fringe players matched a side worth well over £30m away from home and we can take a few positives from it as well as a few negatives such as not scoring but what matters now is how we perform in the league, our bread and butter

[quote user="Chris Meadows"]

well said graham, nobody has said we''re suddenly a good side on the back of tuesday, at the end of the day a side containing a few youngsters and fringe players matched a side worth well over £30m away from home and we can take a few positives from it as well as a few negatives such as not scoring but what matters now is how we perform in the league, our bread and butter

[/quote]The only real positives you can take from LOSING will be on saturday if Grant picks the youngsters who tried very hard(but still LOST).If we don''t score saturday we will be in the Sh*t up to our necks.I can''t believe that our once great club has got to the point where we must find positives from defeats.It reminds me of the iraqi spokesman who said "the americans are being slaughtered and are nowhere near bagdad"as the american tanks were going past in the background.Unless our board wakes up and smells the roses its div 1 for us next season

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

A very fair post Graham. Tuesdays game hasn''t changed anything but it was at least an encouraging display.

Unfortunately certain posters seem determined to split people into two camps again and give them a label again. It is of course possible to remain concerned about the overall state of the club but be encouraged by Tuesdays display.

[/quote]

A bit like having a face full of pimples and being pleased that one has healed up you mean?