Sign in to follow this  
Essexyella

Worst ever Canary

Clive "Ted" Payne was a perfectly dependable full back in one of City''s greatest ever teams. Okay, so he wasn''t the flashiest player on the pitch, but he saved City''s bacon many a time with his goal line clearances.
By the way, Kevin Bond may come back to haunt us next season - he''s Harry Redknapp''s assistant on the Portsmouth bench. Good grief!

How can anybody put players out of the 71/72 promotion team in a worst player team !!! . Didnt KEVIN BOND win player of the season award for 79/80, he might have got in the team because of the daddy connect but you don''t win award like that for being one of the worst players. DAVE PHILLIPS played 186 times for city not bad for a player on the worst player list !!!.

I cant belive only one person has mentioned sun tan easton but the ones who stick in the mind are the hamilton bunch de vard de veld or something cottee walsh .OTBC

I''m afraid the person who defended Kevin Bond because he was Player of the Season has overlooked one point. The year he won, the local press were on strike and no voting slips were issued. As John Bond once said '' anybody who knows anything about football knows Kevin Bond will be a full English international''. What does this say about JB ?
I wouldn''t say Darren Beckford was the worse NCFC player, how many of the present squad, including our recently departed Iwan, have scored more Premiership goals for Norwich ?
My money would be on John Benson, another Bondy pal who was normally booed just for warming up.

Never speak ill of the dead, especially if you are wrong. Rocky was class in the few games he played for us. I remember watching us away at Bramall lane, and he was head and shoulders above any other player on the field.

True class. You are sadly missed, David.

Milan Marcus,

Whenever I watched Shaun Carey I thought he was rubbish, basically. I only ever saw him a handful of times, but he never did anything that impressed me, simply. I don''t doubt that he''s a nice bloke, nor do I doubt his commitment, I just don''t think he was any good at football. Speaking of which - what happened to Shaun Carey?

I''m off to enrol to the "Dave Philips was good" club.....

I think its gotta be Dean Coney in my experience - we''ve had some stinkers over the years, but without doubt he is THE ONE that sticks out in my mind. One goal, and that was because he had the ball kicked against him!!!!

Philips was superb!!!!..lived opposite me infact and used to go round his house quite often. walsh n cottee have to be a favourite on here..how bout victor segura???

David Phillips? Are you mad? So maybe he didn''t get his kit dirty often, but the man could play! He was a big part of the Walker team, and was one of my favourites during that era....

Anyway, worst players? Simon Tracey (Coventry at home, anyone?) and Dean Coney, closely followed by De Waard, Derveld and Segura........

I always thought Philips was pretty damn good. He had a great shot on him. Had forgotten about some of the shockers we''ve had in our time since this thread!! Shaun Carey and Victor Segura!! Awful!

How about Peter Grant?

Dave Phillips was ace - remember the scissor kick he scored with against palace in the prem? (let''s hope huck scan repeat it on the opening day)

Keith Scott was so bad it made you wonder how he turned pro.

Also a special mention goes out to Adrian Coote.

Changing the angle slightly....the worst one-off performance has to be Darren Kenton away at QPR on boxing day around 1998.

After hopelessly wandering around in daze looking like the Christmas Day sherry was still in his blood he was withdrawn after 20 minutes.....

Saying that he did sober up and came good eventually!!

Coote, Biggins, Carey, Walsh, Derveld, Simpson, Johnny Wright. Weve had some true crap. Dont forget Simon Tracey. Phillips was far better than any of these.. his goal agains the gunners on the opening day!! his screamer against Chelsea.. his goals got us into europe.. chase flogged him.

The player who used to make me panic whenever he went near the ball was Rod Newman. He was always bound to score an own goal, loss his marker or score an own goal.

ps RE David Phillips, he was ace and the fact that he didnt get his kit dirty means nothing. Anybody who doubts this watch the the video from the season when we finished 3rd (watching that video also reminds you how good Lee Power could of been).

Dave Philips was a superb player, don''t know how his name found its way on this list. Worst players? Seen many in my 11 years as a fan, particulary Sheron who was terrible (bought as Chris Sutton''s replacement and scored 1 league goal for us in his first season, which always makes me laugh!) Keith Scott (scored on his debut then the week after as well and then seemed to bugger off) Neil Moore, Peter Grant (some dodgy Mike Walker signings) and Akinbiyi was pants for us as well, there''s a few for you but there''s just been so many over the years!

Darren Beckford and Ade Akinbiyi were astonishingly bad. But what about Robert Fleck II, Return of the Flecky?

Obviously the first time round Fleck was a legend, one of the best. But like most sequals he was a bitter disappointment the second time round.

Dave Phillips was a superb player, would be closer to the best ever list, not the worse!!!!
The worst is without a doubt Dean Coney!! Scored once which was a deflection off his a**e! Really was RUBBISH!!

Nobody''s mentioned Pape Diop- played at right back a few times for Hamilton. Word had it that Hamilton bought hime thinking he was somebody else.

What about another two Hamilton specials- Des Hamilton and there was a right winger (Gary Brady?) who between them caused panic in opposing defences as they fell about laughing at what was heading their way..............

As for Dave Phillips, he is closer to the greatest team than the worst team. A cultured player and a gent. Maybe the original proponet was thinking of Dave Bennett- a left winger who was quite lanky and fell over a lot in the late 70s early 80s I believe.

Tumbleweed - excellent shout with Des Hamilton - I was trying to remember his name earlier today but could only come up with Brady. Bearing in mind he came from a prem club at the time his quality was so bad he made the squad at the time (de Waard, Coote etc etc) look like competent footballers...

Victor Segura always had me in stitches too...

OTBC

Sorry Tumbleweed, but Dave Bennett, although he had problems with his knee, was a very good and skilful player, and whenever he played I had the feeling that City would play well. He was a regular member of the City team that won promotion in the early eighties (Deehan, O´Neill, Watson etc), arguably a team on par with the current team. Most of the players mentioned (Coney etc) deserve to be there but I feel at times people just come out with names which is a bit unfair.

Has to be Dean Coney never saw him in a City shirt, but until 1982 when i moved to the Fair City was a Fulham supporter, as a striker he only scored one goal after October, left it all to Ivor the Engine (Gordon Davies) remember him, if he had scored just once in an important game Fulham would have got to Div 1 without Al fayed''s millions.

David Phillips are you mad, was superb for 3 seasons, blamed Chase for buying undersoil heating for being sold, but the truth was Dave Phillips never played for any Club for more than 3 seasons i.e. the length of his contract, must have been addicted tosigning on fees.

Worst player?, easy!. Laurie Sheffield. I once saw him head a ball OFF the oppositions goal line, says it all really!. scored a hat trick on his City debut I believe, then settled down to his normal game, bloody useless!.

Laurie Sheffield actually scored a hat-trick on his Norwich debut, I seem to remember in a 4-1 victory against Derby.
He was an old fashioned scrapper no 9 and an awkward customer for any defender to cope with and like Iwan Roberts, always gave his all to the cause.
It was Gerry Howshall who was purchased with Supporters Club cash.

Apologies to dave Bennett fans- I did not mean to imply that he is a candidate for worst ever- I just thought someone might be confusing him for Dave Phillips. Bennett did indeed do some good stuff but I remember him being quite inconsistent- when he played well he was sublime but at other times he wasn''t in the game.

Reading about the preponderance of genuine candidates from the Hamilton era I just can''t believe how far we have come. It makes me feel quite scared that that bunch of rubbish represented us for a season or so and I wonder how we actually stayed in the division..........

The Pink Un did a feature on this a while back but, defamation issues apart, its great fun and maybe we could have a weekly or monthly vote on the main candidates by position to create a posters worst ever side.........