Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Joe Cole and Gareth Barry = Hux and Lappin?

Did Grant watch the England games and think this? Tricky right footer on the left wing with a left footer playing inside him in the centre. Lappin has the passing range and crossing ability to do a similar job to Barry while Hux has the tricks and the pace a la Joe Cole. I like the idea, but sounds from what those at the game are saying that we looked better balanced when Lappin went left. It''s so frustrating that we have BOTH Smith and Foz out. Without them our centre midfield is big on braun but seriously short on creativity, especially when relying on a still rusty hux.

his interview about moving Lappin inside does show he is looking at finding the right balance, he acknowledges Brellier and Rusty are too similar to play in a home game and that we need somebody with good distribution in there, he also mentions having a left footer who will provide balance when Hucks drifts

lappin looked far to lightweight in centre midfield for me - he was chasing shadows too often.  better when he went left and brellier came on.  however, he''s less effective than hux on the left, but then who isn''t.  i don''t mind a wide midfield man who can''t always beat his man for pace, but then he must possess guile to compensate - unless he knows how and when to make a killer pass, or put over a decent cross, then what''s the point??? 

i thought lappin and russell were brilliant in central midfield. i see lappin as an awesome player who gives something different wen hes in the team. he holds the play together well and is always willing to work hard. doesn''t get the credit he deserves!

[quote user="ipswichrscum"]i thought lappin and russell were brilliant in central midfield. i see lappin as an awesome player who gives something different wen hes in the team. he holds the play together well and is always willing to work hard. doesn''t get the credit he deserves![/quote]

Agreed Ipswichrscum.  He looks a very solid player whos hard work often goes unnoticed.  He gets his head down and gets on with it.  He takes a great free kick and corner, is versitile about where he plays, passes accurately and works hard for the team.  He''s also chipping in with a few goals now.  I would say he was a bargain at 75k or whatever we payed for him.