Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Message Board - Potential Improvements

Vince''s response elsewhere on this thread today about the new server is correct - we are totally frustrated, but at least the money has been spent, the servers are being configured (whatever that means) and there is hope. On the other points, I have got together a list of all the suggestions, and we are going through them to see what we can do, what the IT dept would have to do etc (Was on hols last week and got a bit behind hand)

Celia

Lol....we are configuring a new server and it will be up and running at the end of June???? I would hate to see your IT Dept handle a crisis!

Patience Fatman,I''m sure they are doing their best to get it sorted for us.

I think we should rename this one RudeMan Rude!

Be patient...I''m sure a contribution to this FREE message board that we all love wouldn''t go a miss.

Can I just say - I run a very large and busy internet forum (on UK punk) and it''s an absolute pain in the backside being an admin for a forum!

It''s also a god-almighty pain in the backside when you have to move forums or sites to new forums, so please have some patience. I know - on Monday I had to move my comparitively small site (compared to here) and it took absolutely ages, was utterly soul destroying boredom!

As for coding improvements; I''m sure most of you think that coding is easy - well to a certain extent it is, but web coding, and more to the point, web coding for busy site with tons of users to make a system that works is damned difficult, time-consuming and fustrating. Again, perhaps a little patience is needed.

For me, I''d like to see more Forums on the entry page. For example, the current Matches/Tatics/Players/Rivals/Gossip forum covers a whole multitude of topics which could be split up into more easily digestable chunks. This would make it easier to locate threads that you are specifically interested in. It might also enable posters to see if there''s already a thread running on the topic they want to discuss and prevent half a dozen different threads which basically cover the same topic.

Sorry Making Plans for Nigel but I disagree with that. At the moment I like the fact that there is one main board for tactics, gossip etc (ie this one!) and another board which I only need to visit regarding tickets, away matches etc. I think it would be too split up if we had sperate boards for everything plus it would take ages flicking through the various forums

I see your point MPFN. However, surely it is more hassle to flick through different forums. If we had a forum for tactics, one for transfer gossip, one for the next game and one for rivals (for example) we would have to visit every forum every time we came on the site, as there might be potential topics we wanted to discuss on each page. The chances are that once a thread disappears off the 1st page on the present board, it doesn''t want to be discussed anymore or has run its course. There aren''t many occasions when a thread is brought up from earlier in the year. Having one forum for all topics means that you can locate current threads easily and quickly on a wide range of footballing issues. I agree that it takes a while to find a topic from ages ago, but how often do you need to do this?

Following up my post about the Sunderland board, I have now discovered that there is a virtually identical Norwich board at:
http://www.stewartb.com/msgboard/viewforum.php?f=3
Very under-used at the moment, but it does feature that dinky way of nesting replies in a thread. Interestingly it is run by the same guy who introduced the very first Norwich message board. I remember using it in 1997, and it had been going at least a couple of years before that.

Canary Boy...why should I be RudeMan Rude?
The fact that this board is free is totally irrelevant. This facility is set up by a communications company, Archant Ltd., and the fact is that ALL their sites are PAINFULLY slow!!
Trying to log on to the EEN site, the EDP site, the Pink Un site, or this one, very often end up with timeouts, or very, very slow connection times. Trying to navigate between threads once you do have a connection is irritating because of the delays. We are not talking about an amateur facility here, but a facility provided by a highly profitable newspaper group that has decided to offer a web site facility. Unfortunately, that facility is pathetically slow and does nothing for the reputation of the providing company, Archant.
If you like I will consider changing my name to RealisticMan Realistic, but RudeMan Rude, no!!!

So here we are on a Sunday afternoon...not exactly known for high level server traffic - and what do we have? Yep...slloooowwww servers. Still, come the end of June (????) the servers are supposedly going to be upgraded - cant wait!!

Just wondered Celia which of our suggestions are going to be implimented for the strart of the season.I still think it would be good to have a column for thread originator so we can find threads for our favourite posters easier.Dont know what everyone else thinks.

sorry the fool on the hill, but these forums (the other one and the sunderland one) arnt made by code (like this one(or i least i dnt think....)
Arnt they phpportal web team?

I don''t understand why I''m still being ''timed out'' at certain times of the day, and why I''ve just had to complete my e-mail address and password, and log in again when the last time I had to do that was a couple of weeks ago when the new improved board was introduced. Can anyone shed any light please? (I''m on Broadband, by the way, so I certainly hadn''t expected things to be as slow as they have, new service or not!)

Susie,

You''ve had to log in again as your cookie timed out. But, you''ll be pleased to know that you''re not the only one experiencing problems with this message board.

Here''s an update from Tim Stpehenson - one of Archant''s technical team:

"I''m pleased to be able to tell you that most of the major issues have now been resolved, leaving us free to address the other more minor problems (forums occasionally timing out, erratic performance on some sites, etc.). To resolve some of these problems, we have a number of software upgrades planned for the next few months - including an overhaul of the forums system.

There are a number of problems with the current forums system in use on EDP24 and other Archant sites. There is a project running at the moment to upgrade this system, replacing it with a more reliable forums engine which should resolve all these issues."

Susie,
Ive experienced exactly the same problems,timed out on me 3 times on Sunday and when I did get in I had to put my email address and password in to post.
P.S. Could one of the moderators please answer my previous post as to which of our suggestions in May are be taken on board.

Cityangel,

We''ll have to wait until the new forums are up and running before we know what we can and can''t do, but I don''t see there being any problem having posts with the thread originator displayed as you suggested.

We may even have smilies...

What about not posting the same story under a different headline.

Apologies if this mentioned above.

(sorry if this has been suggested before)

What this forum needs is a marker for when you''ve not read ALL the posts in a thread. When a new post is added it is marked with "NEW" so that you know when you are not up-to-date on a thread.

I realise (as a programmer) that this probably isn''t easy, but the board I use for my site does this and it''s an essential! :)