Sign in to follow this  
Libbra Lives in Dubai

Charlton Norwich match evaluation and player ratings

Just got back from the Valley and it was a truly dire experience.  From the first kick we looked poor and I can honestly say my amateur team would have caused us problems.  We jsut had no teeth in attack.  Everyone was more interested in having a dig at Danny Mills, who must be laughing his head off at taking away our concentration.  We played 4-5-1 with Brown up front constantly flicking the ball on to.... NOBODY.  We played Chadwick on the right ahead of Croft.  WHY?  Chadwick is a headless chicken.  Yes he was replaced at half time, but why wasnt Croft starting?  We then reverted to... 4-5-1 but with Huckerby up front and Brown on the left????  Why was Lappin in central midfield? Why were the fullbacks so deep and marking nobody (standing off) when Charlton advanced down the flanks?  WHY!!!!!!!!! 

I could make out the first penalty but the second was outside of the area.  But in truth it should have been about 4-0

I believe if we are to play Brown at all we need to take advantage of his strengths and play him with a support striker such as Cureton.  That''s not to say I believe that I think he should have played to start off with.  We should have started with:

Marshall

Drury   Dublin   Shackell   Semmy

Brellier

Croft   Russell   Huckerby

Cureton   Strihavka

Here is my take on the individual''s performance

Marshall 6 - did nothing wrong but I noticed his negative body language as he was exposed through no closing down in the midfield (I dont blame him)

Drury 6 - made some reasonable tackles and seemed switched on. 

Dublin 6 - solid at the back and in the air - got frustrated late on and while the sending off was harsh, he clearly took Mills out

Doherty 5 - quiet game but won a few headers.  Stood off his man and has NO PACE

Semmy 5 - 5 left gaps that Russell had to fill but made a few important clearances

Huckerby 5 - tried hard but not on his game tonight.  Only went on one foray forward which came to nothing.  marked out of the game

Lappin 5 - not a central midfielder and a bit lightweight.

Russell 4 - just did not have the quality.  Gave away possession, poor touch, poor passing

Brellier 6 - poor passing in the first half but settled into the anchorman role in the early stages of the second half.  Started some of our best moves

Chadwick 3 - ran around like a schoolboy, two footed challenges and nothing positive to say really

Brown 6 MOM - Did what he does to the best of his ability.  He can hold the ball up and win headers.  Should not be in the starting 11 - messed up that he won MOM!

Croft 6 - good runs down the right and fought hard to win the ball.  Looked a little off pace and slow - is he match fit?

Cureton and Shackell came on with about 2 minutes to go - why not earlier?  Like 90 minutes earlier!

Very disappointing - we need to strengthen.  Charlton are a good team but we have to improve if we are to achieve anything better than mid table mediocrity.   

I too went to the game, and I must say i disagree with a lot of whats said above...

Charlton put on probably their best performance of the season, and a year or two ago the game would have been dead and buried by half time, the team showed great resilience, yes we lacked a goal threat much of the time, but there were more saving headers and blocks tonight than in the whole of last season! Theres no need to overreact just yet, add a bit of quality ie smith, fozzy or a loan, then with a better cutting edge we will be a lot better equiped. That said we cant afford basic lapses in concentration, letting a ball from that deep bounce into the box for the first pen is criminal, and even then the tackle wasnt really needed with the ball speeding towards the touchline.

One point though, Brown was dead on his feet after 70 mins, why not make subs earlier when they could have made an impact? We could have brought on Curo and Dave and had fresh legs to try and win the game, which would have also driven Charlton back a bit and relieved some pressure. Also Chadders looked lightweight, get him in the gym!

Any thoughts?

He clearly took mills out. were u even there???   Never touched him and im sure most people no that dion wouldnt he not a cheat or dirty player!!! Get your stuff sorted!! Doc was oustanding tonight!!!!    8 / 10

People choose him to be the new hughes!! Dublin kicks a ball away he gets a round of applause,  doc gets a a moan or two!!  Lay of him and start backing the team. And well done brown tonight! u done as much as u could nd that was more than most on the pitch includng the o so wounderfull cant put a foot rong huckerby!!!

[quote user="Ben Jones"]

He clearly took mills out. were u even there???   Never touched him and im sure most people no that dion wouldnt he not a cheat or dirty player!!! Get your stuff sorted!! Doc was oustanding tonight!!!!    8 / 10

People choose him to be the new hughes!! Dublin kicks a ball away he gets a round of applause,  doc gets a a moan or two!!  Lay of him and start backing the team. And well done brown tonight! u done as much as u could nd that was more than most on the pitch includng the o so wounderfull cant put a foot rong huckerby!!!

[/quote]

1, Dion must have done something to have been sent off, ie taken Mills out

2, how can a player who concedes a penalty, never makes a decent tackle and constantly fouls in dangerous places ''outstanding?''

3,Dublin gets a round of applause because it generally goes to a yellow shirt, the only time doc kicks the ball and it goes to a yellow shirt is when we play watford away.

4, People aren''t annoyed at Brown, yes he did his best but they are annoyed at the selection, he simply shouldn''t be on the pitch.

5, Brown didn''t do more than most on the pitch, we were drawing the game until 85 minutes against Charltons attack so the defence must of been doing something.

6, yes huckerby can do things wrong, and often does and receives the criticism when hes not doing well. Hucks isn''t fit yet thats why last night wasn''t his best game

Marshall   7   

Otsemboor   5    Couldn''t cope with Varney in the first half and his crossing was woeful throughout.

Doherty   7   Shame he had to spoil a good performance by giving away a penalty and costing us the game (again).

Dublin   7

Drury   6   Gives wingers far too much space. Too many crosses from Sam because of this.

Chadwick 4- Woeful. Why wait until half-time to replace someone that bad?

Brellier 7 - My MotM

Russell 6

Lappin 7

Brown 7 Some excellent hold-up play wasted without a partner to benefit but so tame when a goal-scoring opportunity arises. If you''re going to play 4-5-1 at least pick someone up front who might score.

Huckerby 5 Poor. It was plain to see he was getting nowhere. Should have replaced by Cureton earlier.

Croft   7 - Doubt he''d last 90 mns but surely should start ahead of Chadwick.

Marshall   7   

Otsemboor   5    Couldn''t cope with Varney in the first half and his crossing was woeful throughout.

Doherty   7   Shame he had to spoil a good performance by giving away a penalty and costing us the game (again).

Dublin   7

Drury   6   Gives wingers far too much space. Too many crosses from Sam because of this.

Chadwick 4- Woeful. Why wait until half-time to replace someone that bad?

Brellier 7 - My MotM

Russell 6

Lappin 7

Brown 7 Some excellent hold-up play wasted without a partner to benefit but so tame when a goal-scoring opportunity arises. If you''re going to play 4-5-1 at least pick someone up front who might score.

Huckerby 5 Poor. It was plain to see he was getting nowhere. Should have replaced by Cureton earlier.

Croft   7 - Doubt he''d last 90 mns but surely should start ahead of Chadwick.

well the only 2 ratings i need is

BROWN - 2 cant pass the ball, headers it out of play and never to norwich players and cudnt hit a barn door

CHADWICK - 2 i agree with the above played like a schoolboy or more like a baby boy IDIOT!!!

[quote user="Ben Jones"]

[/quote]

If you think that he never touched him you must not have been there my friend.  They were both running towards the ball and Dublin shoulder charged Mills, about 8 yards before they got to the ball, and took him out.  That is contact, perhaps not a sending off but it was a foul.  I never said he was a cheat but the aggression behind the shoulder charge was the reason for his sending off. 

Doherty played reasonably well but conceded a penalty... outstanding?? No chance. 

The beauty of these sites is that people have a forum to express their opinion and have the right to do so.  Therefore, I will not lay off anyone, I will always back the team with constructive criticism, and I will recommend to you that you learn how to spell. :P 

[quote user="Lappin it up"]

I too went to the game, and I must say i disagree with a lot of whats said above...

Charlton put on probably their best performance of the season, and a year or two ago the game would have been dead and buried by half time, the team showed great resilience, yes we lacked a goal threat much of the time, but there were more saving headers and blocks tonight than in the whole of last season! Theres no need to overreact just yet, add a bit of quality ie smith, fozzy or a loan, then with a better cutting edge we will be a lot better equiped. That said we cant afford basic lapses in concentration, letting a ball from that deep bounce into the box for the first pen is criminal, and even then the tackle wasnt really needed with the ball speeding towards the touchline.

One point though, Brown was dead on his feet after 70 mins, why not make subs earlier when they could have made an impact? We could have brought on Curo and Dave and had fresh legs to try and win the game, which would have also driven Charlton back a bit and relieved some pressure. Also Chadders looked lightweight, get him in the gym!

Any thoughts?

[/quote]

Fair enough.  Charlton played well and the performance was perhaps not as grim as I alluded.  However, it is frustrating when the manager fields a weak team for no apparent reason.  Can you honestly say that with a performance like that we are likely to be challenging for the play-offs?  That''s the point Im trying to make.  I think Peter Grant got it badly wrong this time - Im not going to call for his head, but it was not a positive performance from the bench or on the pitch

[quote user="Libbra Lives"][quote user="Lappin it up"]

Any thoughts?

[/quote]

Fair enough.  Charlton played well and the performance was perhaps not as grim as I alluded.  However, it is frustrating when the manager fields a weak team for no apparent reason.  Can you honestly say that with a performance like that we are likely to be challenging for the play-offs?  That''s the point Im trying to make.  I think Peter Grant got it badly wrong this time - Im not going to call for his head, but it was not a positive performance from the bench or on the pitch

[/quote]

Thank you for a decent, reasoned response to the game.

For a moment I thought sense had caved in.

i think you need to learn to read, the reason he was sent of is cause the ref (i wont bother trying to spell his name) thought dublin head butted him!!! so u my friend need to learn what happens in a game! YOU DONT GET SENT OF FOR A SHOULDER BARGE, ESPECALLY ONE THAT SOFT! Mills over reacted but got sraight up! As granty said, if dublin had head butted him, he wouldnt have got up that quickly (if at all, we would hope) You sure u were really there, i think your fibbing, no one that stup1d

[quote user="Ben Jones"]

[/quote]

Doc was outstanding? You don''t half write a lot of bullsh*t..

[quote user="Libbra Lives"][quote user="Lappin it up"]

Any thoughts?

[/quote]

[/quote]You say your not calling for his head why. Grant gets paid to make the right decisions with his team selections and it is all about results and i am afraid we have in mr grant a very negative approach to the game his team selections in my opinion last night was appalling.He set his stall out last night to get a draw game killing tactics it was only charlton for gods sake nobody in this division is any bigger than us. I guarantee alan pardew would not have come to carrow rd with the same approach.The trouble with grant is every game we play he worries more about the other team than concentrating on his own teams chances what sort of signal was sent out to his own players last night with the team he picked leaving the golden boot cureton on the bench along with dave the striker who had just scored the winner at home.I am sorry but the longer we keep grant the more chance we will end up in div one and the boring tactics he perseveres with is going to send the crowds away in there thousands.I  have not been looking forward to games this season with him in charge and that has never happened before as i have always been passionate about my club.I really hope we get rid of the pratt ibet half the players feel that way two specially cureton.

That''s a better attempt at spelling.  Keep practicing!  But if you had read my post properly you would know I explained that Dublin should not have been sent off, but a foul should have been awarded.  You''re right  - the contributing factor was the ''afters'' he had with Mills and a mistake by the referee.  Hey - we agree!  Awesome! 

I honestly think he needs a chance to let the team settle and to implement his ''plan'' (he has a number of injuries and the team needs time to gel).  Dont get me wrong - I''ll criticise his tactics when I dont agree and I may well become disillusioned by him if they continue to be so negative.  However, he needs a bit more time.  If and when his full team are out there and not performing week in week out - then lets get rid of him

i agree with the original post completely

croft had to start - chadwick has done nothin last few games and why curo didnt start i''ll never no

we looked terrible!  center mid was non existant - back 3 (not ostember) had good games til final few mins, brown was good but like its been said - had no one to play to.

my biggest complaint has to be ostember - he was dreadful.   was caught out with the same ball down the wing ever time.  attacking wise his fanatastic, made some good balls into browns feet, but defensively his the worst we;ve had for a while.  i''d try him right mid for a game and use tht pace properly

i cant wait til smith and fozzy return - russell and lappin wont win us anythin!

hey we agree again, now im scared! hope my spelling is ok, i have my dictionary! My comp keyboard buttons get stuck, and me being lazy dont bother to read it back to myself! lol

Well said any way!