Sign in to follow this  
Polar

Pardews comment

I''ve mentioned this on another thread but thought i''d put it into a thread of its own.

before everyone grabs the torches and pitchforks and starts marching down carra why not look at Pardews comments in yesterdays pinkun a bit more closely.

“If you looked at it short term you would say Peter has done okay, but long term I know he is putting the foundations there for success and that is the type of person he is and is why he will be a good manager.”

Something the withchunters should remember is that Pardew knows a bit more about Grant than we do, so am i the only one who thinks what he says may be relevant?

This season is the bedding in period, the team building one.

Next seasons the target.

Problem with some of our supporters polar is they want instant success ,most sensible fans realize that you have to build from the bottom up ,fans forget about targets that grant wanted but  turned us down  and so had to go for second best alternatives, and with limited money it will be an uphill struggle to get this club moving towards the top again.There were plenty of moaners last night criticizing Grants team selection but it was only a few weeks ago that posters were saying how well Wolves did last season as they ground out 1-0 wins by playing a defensive game and that is what we should be doing, christ Grant will never win with our fickle fans.

[quote user="Polar1990"]

I''ve mentioned this on another thread but thought i''d put it into a thread of its own.

before everyone grabs the torches and pitchforks and starts marching down carra why not look at Pardews comments in yesterdays pinkun a bit more closely.

“If you looked at it short term you would say Peter has done okay, but long term I know he is putting the foundations there for success and that is the type of person he is and is why he will be a good manager.”

Something the withchunters should remember is that Pardew knows a bit more about Grant than we do, so am i the only one who thinks what he says may be relevant?

This season is the bedding in period, the team building one.

Next seasons the target.

[/quote]

agreed, this season we will finish mid table.. which is an improvement on last year and i for one would be happy.. next season is the big one! we need  at least a Playoff place next term or then perhaps we can ask questions.

jas :)

[quote user="Polar1990"]

[/quote]

Whatever, he is being nice about a friend.  Still doesnt explain why Pardew brought on a fresh striker who won him the game and Grant didn''t.

You never know Grant might come good.

How about another cup of tea and a cream cake ? My God you people are just so complacent it beggars belief. Talk about "Nero drinking wine whilst Rome burned before him". You are so deeply in denial you just can''t see the rot - 2005, 2006 and 2007 - what planet do you people live on ? 

Team selection last night probably wasn''t quite right but the tactics to go and stop Charlton playing very nearly got us a point against a side that will without doubt be fighting for Promotion. We can''t just go and expect to win like in our Promotion season, thats not the team we are any more. We are not going to be setting the pace in this league this season. Its not entirely Grants fault, he obviously has to take some of the blame when we lose but the reaction to losing 2-0 away to a promotion contender is way way way over the top. I couldn''t listen to the match but heard some of Canary Call and from the way people were talking it was like we''d lost 5-0.

Say we sacked Grant now... who would we appoint. And don''t say Paul Jewell or Neil Warnock because unfortunately this is the real world and they wouldn''t be interested. Thats not because I''m a sheep and believe we''re small but they would be wanting to step in to a Prem side. They''ve already done the hard work elsewhere and deserve a chance with a bigger team.

[quote user="king of latvia"]

if pardew thinks grant is that good then why did he let him go ?

[/quote]

Grant wanted to leave.. Pardew didnt LET him go....

jas :)

2 Points

1. as said several times manges need a good 2-3year spell to do good, yes the odd one goes up earlier i.,e billy davies but thats quite rare in our league so give him time

2. they know each other obv maybe its a case you scratch my back il scratch yours

Hes hardly going to say his mate is crap is he? I recall the Burnley manager saying the same thing about Worthington before we sacked him. Pardew can keep his snout out.

[quote user="StttStrvStarhDave"]

If it was Moyles rating him or Copell then i''d think about it.

[/quote]

I wouldn''t pay any attention to what Chris Moyles says, the man''s an idiot.

Didn''t Pardew get West Ham promoted and then into Europe? Didn''t he do that by building a squad of his own?

Yes they are mates and Pardews not going to come out and say Grants useless and will take us to blue square, but if you read between the lines of the summer then you may notice that Grant is building for the future and not the present.

Strihavka, he''s not going to be a world beater this season but will settle down and get use to life in England ready for next season

Shackells been given the armband this season therefore i read that as a season to get use to the job.

Brellier on a two year contract

and when Grant was signed wasn''t it a two and a half year contract? the half was last year (or just over) then he has this season and the one after to win himself a new contract, therefore this is merely a season to build on what he has. (admittedly i may be wrong on Grants contract length there)

Sttt, Strv, Starh,......Dave!!! wrote

Its not even a good Manager praising our manager.

Its Pardew, his former Boss and friend, i don''t rate him at all.

Is that Chris Moyles ??

I can accept -and see the logic- behind this season having to be a rebuilding process, following the Worthy reign and that the positives we should be looking for should not include promotion, not this time around anyway.

So yes, bite the bullet for this season, enjoy the improvement as it comes along, get some good results, some better and more persistant performances and then, come August 2008, feel confident that this HAS to be our season and that the questions that will be asked if it isn''t, are fair and justified ones.

Problem is, PG came out in the Summer and said "our only objective is to go up as Champions". So he has laid it on the line and expectancy is high as a result. If he had said "...this is our season of consolidation..." -boring yes, and he would have got stick for that as well, but at least the expectancy and pressure would have been off. Maybe he is demonstrating his ambition by stating that what we want this year is 1st place, but it is sounding like a bit of a millstone now.

Speculation about his leaving/resigning and/or getting fired is pointless as that isn''t going to happen, so posts stating whether we should go for Paul Jewell, or perhaps consider Martin Allen etc are all a bit academic!

Pardew also said that ''''Mills lives on the edge in some games and he was very much on the edge in last nights game'''' which means in plain English ''''he spent the whole game winding people up and he''s lucky that he doesnt get sent off more often!

[quote user="cityangel"]Pardew also said that ''''Mills lives on the edge in some games and he was very much on the edge in last nights game'''' which means in plain English ''''he spent the whole game winding people up and he''s lucky that he doesnt get sent off more often![/quote]

can''t deny he''s not speaking truthfully then

Also I''m slightly concerned that if he is getting the team ready for next season why are our three best players also three of our oldest?

Huckerby, Cureton & Dublin will definately not be as good next season as this??

Are they inspiring leaders for are young guns? is Dublin teaching Shackell, Cureton with Martin and Huckerby with Lappin/Eagle??

I think Grant has missed a trick this summer with the lack of youth he''s brought in and the lack of chances he''s giving some of the young lads already in the club, I feel sorry for chris martin, spillane, lewis, smart and the jarvis boys.

The message they''re getting is, you want first team experience pi55 off somewhere else for the season then.

[quote user="Jonnyboy"]

Also I''m slightly concerned that if he is getting the team ready for next season why are our three best players also three of our oldest?

Huckerby, Cureton & Dublin will definately not be as good next season as this??

Are they inspiring leaders for are young guns? is Dublin teaching Shackell, Cureton with Martin and Huckerby with Lappin/Eagle??

I think Grant has missed a trick this summer with the lack of youth he''s brought in and the lack of chances he''s giving some of the young lads already in the club, I feel sorry for chris martin, spillane, lewis, smart and the jarvis boys.

The message they''re getting is, you want first team experience pi55 off somewhere else for the season then.

[/quote]

thats a fair point, unless Grant plans on using the transfer windows further which i expect he will or he envisages the youth loan spells providing experience to fill this gap.

[quote user="Steve Burns"]

Sttt, Strv, Starh,......Dave!!! wrote

Its not even a good Manager praising our manager.

Its Pardew, his former Boss and friend, i don''t rate him at all.

Is that Chris Moyles ??

[/quote]

My Bad i meant, You know who i meant!!!!!

David Moyes the Scottish Toffee.

Not the saviour of morning Radio.