Sign in to follow this  
Jonnyboy

Grant listen to the fans!

Does everyone agree with me that we should drop the 4 - 5 - 1 and stick to 4 - 4 - 2?

Grant if your reading this for god sake play Cureton, Striker & Huckerby this weekend!!

He''s already said ''I always feel with the likes of Cureton, Huckerby and Strihavka - if they are in the game you have the chance of winning''

But then comments that you have to choose between Cureton or Huckerby?? only if you play 4-5-1!!

Play Huckerby on the left where he has been successful for years and play Cureton as a striker where oh yeah he was top goal score last year?!

THIS TEAM PICKS IT''S SELF SO WHY DON''T YOU TAKE A BREAK PG AND LET THE FANS PICK THE TEAM.

Don''t anybody give me this cr*p about injury''s and fatigue cause problems. Shackell, Strihavka and Cureton were on the bench so were fit and should have played, they are all 1st team players in my opinion.

Dead right Jonny.

I can''t believe the people who rounded on JC after he missed a couple of chances Saturday. Suddenly it was all....''he doesn''t do anything'', he doesn''t defend enough'' etc. etc. No-one has a divine right to starting place but the boy is a poacher and must have the service. I couldn''t care less about ...''workrate'' and ''defending''. Remember Ted McDougall anyone? Of course the great god ''Iwan'' never missed any chances did he!!!

If Grant is now going down the road of a 4-5-1 for away matches against the likes of Charlton, Wolves, Watford, Blades, WBA etc. then forget any chance of a play off challenge, we must go out to win away games. We had enough of the away malaise under the previous incumbent.Perhaps Grant should read and take note of what Dublin said in a recent interview and act accordingly! 

"Grant if your reading this for god sake play Cureton, Striker & Huckerby this weekend!!"

Christ, I sincerely hope he doesn''t read this forum, he''ll become even more obstinate.

He''d likely field Brown & Doherty up front and bring back Gallacher in goal for the Wolves tie.

[quote user="Jonnyboy"]

THIS TEAM PICKS IT''S SELF SO WHY DON''T YOU TAKE A BREAK PG AND LET THE FANS PICK THE TEAM.

[/quote]You only have to count the number of different replies to the "team for next match" style threads to know that that is not true.

He played 4-5-1 for the first 20 minutes of Tuesday night, and then changed it to, surprisingly, 4-4-2.

But I guess that would take away the hysteria wouldn''t it?

The point I would like to make is that by setting up with 4-5-1, we are not installing a great degree of confidence in the players. You set a non-winning mentality in them.

Also we are NOT good enough to defend for ninety minutes, we should be playing to our strenghts, not our weaknesses.

And what does Strihavka have to do to get on....hmmmm score a winning goal perchance?

Starting off with a 4-5-1 away from home at favourites for promotion isn''t a bad idea. You can''t play 4-5-1 with Jamie upfront on his own and if Big Dave isn''t fit enough yet having him as a sub is the best option. That leaves you with Dion or Brown upfront on their own and Dion is needed at the back.

If you can keep it tight early on away from home the away fans turn on the team after about 60-70 minutes and the moans start, they lose confidence and that is the time to make the subs and bring on Jamie and Big Dave for Brown and Lappin. Then you start hitting them and trying to steal a goal.

Basically the starting line-up wasn''t too bad of a decision but he really needed to change it with 30 minutes to go at 0-0 to try and go for the win. So still not great management because he forgot to do the important bit and try and win the game in the last 30 minutes but not terrible like everyone is screaming about.

Jonnyboy wrote....

"Don''t anybody give me this cr*p about injury''s and fatigue cause problems. Shackell, Strihavka and Cureton were on the bench so were fit and should have played, they are all 1st team players in my opinion."

Sorry Jonnyboy, there is a difference between fit enough for the bench and fit enough to start.  Has Strihavka got enough to last a full 90 minutes, the answer is probably no that is why he is on the bench.  You have to trust the judgement of people who know better than you, like the club physios and the people who watch him train every day.

Also, lining up 4-5-1 away from home is not that unusual.  If you look at most teams in the prem & champ they line up in a similar way away from home.  Everton being a prime example...

Agree that Cureton should start though and that Huckerby plays on the left.  We need to stop accomodating people.  Pick the formation, pick the tactics, establish the gameplan and then pick the best 11 for those parameters.  It seems to me that Grant picks an 11 then chooses a system to suit them.

[quote user="Jonnyboy"]

Does everyone agree with me that we should drop the 4 - 5 - 1 and stick to 4 - 4 - 2?

Grant if your reading this for god sake play Cureton, Striker & Huckerby this weekend!!

He''s already said ''I always feel with the likes of Cureton, Huckerby and Strihavka - if they are in the game you have the chance of winning''

But then comments that you have to choose between Cureton or Huckerby?? only if you play 4-5-1!!

Play Huckerby on the left where he has been successful for years and play Cureton as a striker where oh yeah he was top goal score last year?!

Don''t anybody give me this cr*p about injury''s and fatigue cause problems. Shackell, Strihavka and Cureton were on the bench so were fit and should have played, they are all 1st team players in my opinion.

[/quote]Ihave a better idea granty clear off back to scotland your are inept and a total basket case.

[quote user="blanketonmybuick"]

The point I would like to make is that by setting up with 4-5-1, we are not installing a great degree of confidence in the players. You set a non-winning mentality in them.

Also we are NOT good enough to defend for ninety minutes, we should be playing to our strenghts, not our weaknesses.

And what does Strihavka have to do to get on....hmmmm score a winning goal perchance?

[/quote]Spot on

i think 4-5-1 away is good, you soak up most possession of opposition then hit them on counter attack, you cant play like this at home obv 4-5-1 not bullet proof n if opposition score early you in trouble

but look what we did to you at carrow road, soaked up the possiesion let you do everythin but score, we go down pitch wham bam strewberry jam nice 3pts

Fair enough, it just annoys me that if they do have a slight knock then give someone else a chance.

Chris martin did great for us when we needed him last season. Grants forgotten that already

People can''t prove themselves unless there given a chance.

Spot on about the tactics, you''ve got to pick your strongest team and build the tactics and gameplan around it. unfortunately I believe Tuesday night was not our strongest team.

He better sort it out soon, 3 games in a week we need to get some points!

[quote user="Le Juge"]

Starting off with a 4-5-1 away from home at favourites for promotion isn''t a bad idea. You can''t play 4-5-1 with Jamie upfront on his own and if Big Dave isn''t fit enough yet having him as a sub is the best option. That leaves you with Dion or Brown upfront on their own and Dion is needed at the back.

If you can keep it tight early on away from home the away fans turn on the team after about 60-70 minutes and the moans start, they lose confidence and that is the time to make the subs and bring on Jamie and Big Dave for Brown and Lappin. Then you start hitting them and trying to steal a goal.

Basically the starting line-up wasn''t too bad of a decision but he really needed to change it with 30 minutes to go at 0-0 to try and go for the win. So still not great management because he forgot to do the important bit and try and win the game in the last 30 minutes but not terrible like everyone is screaming about.

[/quote]

Perfectly judged Le Juge. (who incidently I thought had his best game so far on Tuesday night - not that we can make such comments in these ridiculous times of voting people out with text messages, chasing people with pitch forks and ebing desperate for a public flogging)

[quote user="allways travelling"][quote user="Jonnyboy"]

[/quote]Ihave a better idea granty clear off back to scotland your are inept and a total basket case.[/quote]

...as I''ve said above, please note example... [:D]

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

Dead right Jonny.

I can''t believe the people who rounded on JC after he missed a couple of chances Saturday. Suddenly it was all....''he doesn''t do anything'', he doesn''t defend enough'' etc. etc. No-one has a divine right to starting place but the boy is a poacher and must have the service. I couldn''t care less about ...''workrate'' and ''defending''. Remember Ted McDougall anyone? Of course the great god ''Iwan'' never missed any chances did he!!!

If Grant is now going down the road of a 4-5-1 for away matches against the likes of Charlton, Wolves, Watford, Blades, WBA etc. then forget any chance of a play off challenge, we must go out to win away games. We had enough of the away malaise under the previous incumbent.Perhaps Grant should read and take note of what Dublin said in a recent interview and act accordingly! 

[/quote]

Do you know there was some old boy on Canary Call after the match saying Cureton''s not good enough and never will be. Neil asked him "why?" about 3 times and all this bloke would say is "he just isn''t", even when it was pointed out to him that hes already got 4 goals for us so far.

4-5-1 not work in english football - as the teams who have won the prem league for the last three seasons,  or Bolton for example.  The system can work,  but is dependent on the players understanding & working within it.   It can be attacking but the way use it is not.

Why should grant listen to the fans?  We rarely get 10 agreeing on the ''best'' team so who is right?

You listen to the fans because they are an extra set of eyes.

Bloody hell some of the scouting done on this website alone I think is quality

So if you can have 100 peoples opinions why wouldn''t you use it.

If you sift through the crap I''d think you''d get 10 - 12 posts a day that have relevence, whether it be a player who somebody has seen or a differnet tactical idea you hadn''t thought of.

So sorry mate to say you shouldn''t listen to the fans is quite simply wrong. We fund this team he should care what we say

[quote user="allways travelling"][quote user="blanketonmybuick"]

[/quote]Spot on[/quote]

Second!

Le Juge wrote the following post at 20/09/2007 12:07 PM:

Yup, I''d go along with that.