Sign in to follow this  
lobster catcher

surely its better to lose.....

[quote user="lobster catcher"]

surely its better to lose trying to win,than to lose trying to draw isn''t it.Please give me an honest opinion on this remark

[/quote]

Definitely.

Totally agree!

Whilst I am only a relatively occasional away member of the Yellow Army I feel real sympathy for the 10009 or so diehards who make the trip every away game.

One of the main gripes about Worthy was his often (but not always) defensive stall and being clearly happy with a point away but have things really improved under PG? There have been the odd moments e.g. the first half at Barnsley and the battling vital six pointer at Luton. However, we have seen limp and insipid displays at Ipswich and Stoke last season and the early signs are not good his time round are they? So far a miserly single point and single goal from three matches! More worrying is the lack of attacking threat apparently. Very little last night and was there a single attempt on goal at Preston?

Grants'' explanation for leaving out JC is very worrying, something along the lines of only being able to play either Hucks or JC but not both. What is he on! The object of a football match is to score more goals than the opposition, it really is that simple. If you set out for a point with no real intent to try and be more positive then nine times out of ten you get what you deserve which is nought!  I bet the away YArmy would much prefer an attacking, ''go for it'' approach and we lose an exciting game 3-2 than a negative, safety first tactic ending in a boring 2-0 defeat! I know I would.

we''re certainly unlikely to win trying to lose, which is what we''re doing at the moment!!

Football is about entertainment. For it to be entertaining you idealy want 2 relatively evenly matched teams both trying to win a game. There are no teams in the Championship that are that much better or worse than each other to prevent them playing to their strengths. We did not play to our strengths last night.

Most fans would rather win no matter what the performance. However I agree... Attack attack attack. I''d rather get buried 0-6 trying to win than try to scrape a 0-0 and get beat like last night.

I can understand the logic in looking for draw away from home etc. However I always favour the old 4-4-2 and trying for the win with two strikers on the pitch myself. The threat of an attack, can be a good defence for me!

That way at least we have a chance when the ball is in their half and with three points a win we only need one decent result in three away from home to achieve the same with three hard fought defensive performances.

Naive maybe, not a professional coach. However the odds seem about as likely as us getting three away draws on the trot!

Are you suggesting that teams which rely on fast counter-attack, but otherwise absorb great pressure with far less possession, are trying to lose?I think that that a strategy which relies on support from the midfield (eg like Lampard at Chelsea) to score goals can succeed. On Tuesday either the goal-scoring support (Hux, Russell, Chadwick/Croft) was not up to it or else the distribution from the "target-man" was poor. If it was the latter, then there is little point in persevering with Brown, given his lack of goals. If it was the former, then questions have to be asked about the mobility, speed and positioning of Hux in particular and of the others.The strategy does work for a lot of teams, and is a resonable one although I dislike it, but there must now be doubts as to whether we have the personnnel to make it work.

[quote user="lobster catcher"]

surely its better to lose trying to win,than to lose trying to draw isn''t it.Please give me an honest opinion on this remark

[/quote]

This is what ive been trying to say. We need to try and win games instead of trying to hold out for 0-0 draws which is both risky and pathetic.

Could''t agree more mate!

The best form of defence is attack!! At least try and win the game. Are we playing for survival or promotion???? It looks like the former!!

AND IF YOU DON''T GAMBLE YOU CAN NEVER WIN!!

GRANT OUT!!!!

ON THE BALL CITY!!

S