Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

OH HUCKERBY........YOU'RE A LIABILITY!

Great player, great pro, a Norwich great but now a liability.

Darren seldom fits into teams; he is an enigma and that is why he has had more clubs than Woosnam.

His time at Norwich has been as good for him as it was for us. He has had a Championship medal, adulation and more Premiership games than he would otherwise have acheived elsewhere where  he would have been a squad member.

I know he is not fit but that is not the whole story. He sees himself as winding down...last season? Who knows? But is the hunger still there?

This is a player who cannot adapt to his age amd diminishing pace any more than he can adapt to a team system.

After the Cardiff game I slated Grant for cocking it up royal when he gambled with the team shape.

On Saturday he did it again: to accomodate an unfit Huckerby. The Lappin and Drury partnership broken up; a lop sided 4-4-2 and park football as a result: the quality was dire.

Tonight, he did it again. This time a 4-3-3 because grant wanted to play Darren....WHY???  We had no width, Huckerby was too central (apparently) and Brown was used as a battering ram so Strikhavka''s finesse amd Cureton''s threat were ignored. (As Dave from Lowestoft pointed out....was that you again, Wiz?).

Why not a solid 4-4-2?

I noticed too, on Saturday how much better Srikhavka found Curo. I like Brown, I admire his grit, I have backed him but he has now to give way to a goal threat because a team has to have one away from home to keep the home defence occupied.

For God''s sake Grant, bench Brown and play Strikhavka, replace Doherty with a reserve player if necessary, put a ball layer in midfield, again, a youngster if necessary,  but in the immediate future stop trying to build a fragile team around Huckerby. Many others have tried and given up. Only Nigel Worthington has succeeded lately and he had a younger and hungrier Hucks plus a better defence.

Sorry Hucks......but nowadays you are a liability.

Good post I have thought this for a little while...norwich is becoming too much like England : the players are picked past performances rather than current form. Why?

Cureton, 4 starts, 2 goals

Strihavka, 0 starts, 1 goal

Brown, forever, 0 goals

The stats dont lie unless Ive got them wrong.

But it seems, despite this Brown plays. Hucks, 2 starts, not fit, no goals

If Hucks is fit and hungry, fine, but if not Lappin belongs on the left no doubt.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

Darren seldom fits into teams; he is an enigma and that is why he has had more clubs than Woosnam.

His time at Norwich has been as good for him as it was for us. He has had a Championship medal, adulation and more Premiership games than he would otherwise have acheived elsewhere where  he would have been a squad member.

I know he is not fit but that is not the whole story. He sees himself as winding down...last season? Who knows? But is the hunger still there?

This is a player who cannot adapt to his age amd diminishing pace any more than he can adapt to a team system.

After the Cardiff game I slated Grant for cocking it up royal when he gambled with the team shape.

On Saturday he did it again: to accomodate an unfit Huckerby. The Lappin and Drury partnership broken up; a lop sided 4-4-2 and park football as a result: the quality was dire.

Tonight, he did it again. This time a 4-3-3 because grant wanted to play Darren....WHY???  We had no width, Huckerby was too central (apparently) and Brown was used as a battering ram so Strikhavka''s finesse amd Cureton''s threat were ignored. (As Dave from Lowestoft pointed out....was that you again, Wiz?).

Why not a solid 4-4-2?

I noticed too, on Saturday how much better Srikhavka found Curo. I like Brown, I admire his grit, I have backed him but he has now to give way to a goal threat because a team has to have one away from home to keep the home defence occupied.

For God''s sake Grant, bench Brown and play Strikhavka, replace Doherty with a reserve player if necessary, put a ball layer in midfield, again, a youngster if necessary,  but in the immediate future stop trying to build a fragile team around Huckerby. Many others have tried and given up. Only Nigel Worthington has succeeded lately and he had a younger and hungrier Hucks plus a better defence.

[/quote]

There is an awful lot in your post with which to agree, Rudy.

OTBC

Why not a solid 4-4-2?

[/quote]hey if hucks is a liability what do you call a forward who can''t score,

[quote user="Bucketman"]

Good post I have thought this for a little while...norwich is becoming too much like England : the players are picked past performances rather than current form. Why?

[/quote]

It''s getting a little like England in that if we lose, anyone on the pitch is a liability, and anyone on the bench is a matchwinner..

Huck''s is not the problem. We are lucky to have him, and is what makes us exciting to watch. At the rate we are going we will not have that type of talent for a long time to come after this season. It just comes down to tactics. Grant got the best out of Hucks at the end of last season, but seems to have have forgotten how he did it!!

Utter $hite. Huckerby played out of position because Grant wanted to accommodate Russell, Lappin and Brellier. None of which are fit to lace Huckerby''s boots. Then when it went wrong Grant release a statement claiming that the reason that he didn''t play Cureton is because it was a straight choice between the two. Utter $hite. Huckerby is a winger not a striker. He is happiest and best wide. That statement is an utter cop out. He''s your favourite don''t blame me. Brellier and Russell are not good enough. As for Lappin 2 goals don''t make a superstar in my book.

Your floundering as much as Grant is to say that Huckerby is a liability. I''ll give you a, no some liabilities. Drury, Doherty, Croft, Chadwick, Shackell, Fotheringham, Brellier, Russell and GRANT. Oh I forgot the biggest BROWN.

Give me strength [:$]

Hucks I know you read this board so just smile to yourself in the knowledge that only 3 people agree with Mr Hucker, which leaves about 22,000 fans who think you''re an absolute legend.

Spot on.....you have hit the nail on the head, it,s always been a problem where to play him and you are right he has had many other clubs and they could not fit him in either,he is very good at going forward against slower less talented fullbacks but he now often comes up against faster fitter players and he,s lost and has to resort to pulling them back and fouling them....he weakens the midfield "four" and can,t play as a striker because he can,t head the ball or lay the ball off with his chest or thigh.....it,s true,i,m a season ticket holder of many years and i,ve never seen him do this

[quote user="cityangel"]

Hucks I know you read this board so just smile to yourself in the knowledge that only 3 people agree with Mr Hucker, which leaves about 22,000 fans who think you''re an absolute legend.

[/quote]

Thank god, finally a sensible post. CA how do you know that Hucks reads the message boards? [:-*]

[quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

I know it is somethineg of a rareity CA but for once I actually agree with you 100%.

Hucks a liability???

I think RH must of had his head stuck in Mr Grant''s book of dour football tactics for too long... Take Hucks out of last nights equation at Charlton with Cureton on the bench and the team would have had no threat whatsoever.... We have little going forwards and are awful at the back.... A combination for being at the wrong end of the table if ever I saw one!!!

Hux remains THE player to build our team around and any champs team would want him in their side as he is one of the top 5 matchwinners in the league. 

But we have to play him up front,   age will catch up with him and currently his best work is done too far way from goal.  Find the striker who he partners best and then play 4-4- behind that pair.  Let Hux go where he likes and hope his partner can read him like Hux did in our promotion season.

This forum gets worse and worse. One defeat and there has to be someone to blame all the time. Get real, people and get a proper life.

It was only 6 months ago, Hucks almost kept us up single handed.

This is the player who has hardly missed a game and got us into the premiership and has probably at times kept us in the championship and even after all the other stars left has stayed and in 95 % of games has been norwichs best player, he has a long injury (for him) has 1 or 2 bad games (for him) and you turn on him??? disgracefull He is one of the only things worth smiling about at our club at the momoent and we should be supporting him cos with him at his best anything is possible.Its about time we got behind our team and players and stopped slating them at every oppurtunity i know its frustrating but there not gonna get any better if even there own fans dont back them IM BEHIND YOU LADS, COME ON YOU YELLOWS!

Darren Huckerby = Ledgend.

[quote user="sdldjl"]

This is the player who has hardly missed a game and got us into the premiership and has probably at times kept us in the championship and even after all the other stars left has stayed and in 95 % of games has been norwichs best player, he has a long injury (for him) has 1 or 2 bad games (for him) and you turn on him??? disgracefull He is one of the only things worth smiling about at our club at the momoent and we should be supporting him cos with him at his best anything is possible.Its about time we got behind our team and players and stopped slating them at every oppurtunity i know its frustrating but there not gonna get any better if even there own fans dont back them IM BEHIND YOU LADS, COME ON YOU YELLOWS!

Darren Huckerby = Ledgend.

[/quote]Can''t argue with your first sentence. But compare Huckerby in the last couple of seasons with the other oldster, Dion - which one shows real commitment to the team? Who makes a positive result for the team more likely? Dion, because he''s a team player. Hux is a hugely talented footballer and when he was at his peak he was almost a one-man team - just fantastic in our championship year. But that''s gone, and you can''t pick a team for next Saturday based on the form of 2003. Teams have worked him out, and the threat isn''t there any more.But well done Hux for the dental work on Mills!

What utter tosh! The last two seasons have been dire. One of the very few plus points has been the excitement Hucks brings to the party.

God, the thought of some of the displays we have had to put up with without him to lighten up the game doesn''t bear thinking about!

Hucks remains our most skillful attacking threat. If Grant can''t do what Worthington did and find a formula that allows us to take advantage of his not inconsiderable threat, it highlights his deficeincies, not Huckerbys.  

Why not a solid 4-4-2?

[/quote]

i sort of agree, norwich rely on hucks way to much no 2nd option ever, i always think when playing you, we keep hucks tight n out game we will take 3pts, most time we do this we do win vs you! except last year with alien head lol (damn baggie reject)

Yeah the birmingham defenders had him sussed out when he skinned them and scored from a run which started in his own half!!!!!!

The man is a true legend

[quote user="sdldjl"]

Yeah the birmingham defenders had him sussed out when he skinned them and scored from a run which started in his own half!!!!!!

The man is a true legend

[/quote]

im not saying his rubbish, but if hucks is quiet usually not always but usually norwich dont play well

[quote user="we8wba"][quote user="sdldjl"]

The man is a true legend

[/quote]

im not saying his rubbish, but if hucks is quiet usually not always but usually norwich dont play well

[/quote]

Agreed when he is quiet norwich dont usually play well

Rude Old - I can only assume you are on a wind up. Hucks is the only player we have that the opposition are still scared of, as witnessed by the fact that teams always put two players on him (and he still skins them). I was so pleased to see he was in the team for the game against Palace, because he is the one player who gives us a mixture of pace and passion and gets people out of their seats every time he has the ball at his feet, without Hucks in the side watching footy at CR would be very dire indeed. I know that one day he will no longer play for us and I only hope to god we get a worthy replacement for him.  

No,  I am not on a wind up although it is important to have an eye catching title.

I have seen all the home games at least and the Cardiff match stands out regarding my point.

It is vital, vital to have a plan and a system. You may not have star players but, with the right system you can be successful.

The top teams are able to do both.

I acknowledge Huckerby is a tremendous footballer and a good professional. We owe him a great deal at Norwich but, in return he has been duly rewarded so it is a fair exchange.

The problem is his prescence in the side causes problems  and what you lose in terms of shape, balance and resilience is not being countered by  attacking potency. I honestly believe Huckerby is a good enough footballer to cope with age and loss of pace but he doesn''t seem to believe it himself and I wonder if he still has the passion? All this talk about last seasons, etc is de-motivational.

The back four, mainly through a lack of alternatives pretty much picks itself week in and week out but in the midfield Lappin must play on the left and build his relationship with Drury so the latter can overlap and Lappin can fall back. In the middle Russell must play and until a ball player is available so must Brellier. With these two in midfield flank play is vital. Otsemobor must also be allowed to build a relationship with a right sided player as he too has to get forward and with the lesser of evils this has to be Croft.

Up front, Huckerby cannot seem to play so it has to be a large and small combination of any number of our strikers.

What you have then is the basis of a solid, balanced unit who need to be kept together with the pressure of others vying for their position who would be expected to do the same job. And what you also have is 4-4-2.

I despair that, like Worthington, Grant is showing indications of having no idea what his best team is.

As for Huckerby.....the bench. He is a game changer and a match winner; he can exploit a tired defence but what he also does is he gives the opposition a clear plan and options. The main option being to get in behind him and get at Drury. Huckerby, at present would never start a game for me.

Finally, when he came on against cardiff we lost our shape completely and as a result lost the match.

Huckerby is a liability (in the kindest sense) and too many of you on here are as blind as Grant in having too much faith in him. Never mind the sentiment, the team comes first and we have to win matches.

Finally, what is all the rubbish about how we couldn''t have expected to do much against mighty Charlton. What an attitude! Do you expect to lose to Wolves too?

[quote user="C.T"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

Thank god, finally a sensible post. CA how do you know that Hucks reads the message boards? [:-*]

[/quote]

Because he said so at the recent fans forum.