Sign in to follow this  
Duffman

Huckerby or Lappin ?

With huckerby back and fit, would you put him straight into the starting line up?Lappin has earned the shirt with some good performances, we havent looked so dangerous from free kicks for years until Lappin arrived and he has scored 2 great goals.So does huckerby get the left wing spot on reputation or lappin on merit ?

its a nice headache, huckerby generally takes on and beats defenders which lappin doesnt as much. i think hucks plays better as a striker or perhaps in a free role behind the front two.

[quote user="MORTIN"]With huckerby back and fit, would you put him straight into the starting line up?

Lappin has earned the shirt with some good performances, we havent looked so dangerous from free kicks for years until Lappin arrived and he has scored 2 great goals.

So does huckerby get the left wing spot on reputation or lappin on merit ?
[/quote]

I''m not sure Huckerby has ever been in the squad on ''reputation''.  He *IS* still the best player in our squad.

I was flicking through the Cardiff programme this morning and noticed that Lappin had put in more crosses than anyone else in the division before that game, obviously that might have changed slightly after last weekend but he''ll still be up there!

A bit surprising but impressive.

Does anyone think it''s possible to incorporate them both in the starting line-up?

I''d of thought that Huckerby would have put in more than Lappin if he''d been fit though.

[quote user="Polar1990"]its a nice headache, huckerby generally takes on and beats defenders which lappin doesnt as much. i think hucks plays better as a striker or perhaps in a free role behind the front two.[/quote]

Thats what I think too, I think Lappin should play just inside on the left.

---------Brown----Cureton-------------Hux-----------------------------------Lappin--Brellier--Russell------

Lappin has to be on the pitch, he has earnt that, its all about fitting Huckerby in somewhere isn''t it.The thing is, he can''t really play just behind the front two as he naturally goes out to the wings, whereas Chadwick does the opposite.

When fit, Huckerby HAS to play. He is the only player in the squad who can single handedly win a game for us. Lappin is also a very good player so I''d like PG to play both players by givng Hucks a roaming roll where he can do whatever he likes.

Well now THERES a question-Hucks in the hole?

There are problems with him playing on the left (harem scarum and no protection for Drury) and in attack (as he wanders off to the left anyway).

Could we play a 4-3-1-2 and put him in the proverbial hole, a free role to go wherever he wants just behind a front pairing? Would it work? Do we have the midfield to allow for that as they would have to work hard-would mean Brellier and Russell playing with maybe Smith in the middle?

Marshall

Otsemobor, Dion, Shacks, Lappin

Russell, Smith, Brellier

Hucks

Martin, Cureton

????

Quite a work out for the full backs as well admittedly-so maybe not, but would be interesting to try!

i would play huckerby up front,i don''t think it was a coincidence that it was during his time up front alongside chrisy martin last season that we actually looked like contenders.Utilise his pace up front where he''ll cause no end of problems for central defenders. when he''s out on the wing its too easy for the oposition to chanel him away from the danger areas or foul him too far out to worry about conceding a free kick.

[quote user="Confused Des"]

i would play huckerby up front,i don''t think it was a coincidence that it was during his time up front alongside chrisy martin last season that we actually looked like contenders.Utilise his pace up front where he''ll cause no end of problems for central defenders. when he''s out on the wing its too easy for the oposition to chanel him away from the danger areas or foul him too far out to worry about conceding a free kick.

We looked like contenders, when was this then, i must have gone away that weekend.

[/quote]

At the moment I would actually rather Lappin at left back and Hucks in front of him. I agree that Lappin is playing well but think that he could offer all he does as an attacking force from left back. Obviously this raises the contentious issue of dropping Drury but I genuinely rate Lappin as a better left back than Mr Mediocre. Alternatively I like it when Huckerby is up front but really think him and Cureton would struggle as a pair and Grant has bought enough strickers that he must keep the faith with them.

You are not so confused Des because I agree with everything you say. Play him up front and he will constantly dangerous dragging defenders left and right. Think about Barnsley away last season.

Lappin should have been left where he was against Cardiff. Huckerby should have replaced Cureton and if neccessary Martin on for Brown.

The place for Huckerby''s pace and creativity is as far up the pitch as possible where we can really make it count.

Playing Lappin at left back would be a waste seein as hes already scored two fantastic goals already an playing at left back might halt his forward thinking play

If Hucks played up front with Cureton in a 442 it wouldn''t work. Cureton is first choice striker & a predator at that, but he only plays well along side a big man who can win headers & hold the ball up for him. As we all know Hucks doesn''t do headering the ball or holding it up as this is not his game. My first 11 is as follows;

Marshall

Otsemebor - Murray - Shackell - Lappin

Chadwick - Russell - Brellier

Hucks

Cureton - Dublin

This way Russell & Brellier can win the balls & Chadwick/Hucks can create the chances with Lappin & Otsemebor over lapping. When the need to hoof the ball up front comes you can guarantee Dion will win the ball & create chances for our fox in the box!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

You are not so confused Des because I agree with everything you say. Play him up front and he will constantly dangerous dragging defenders left and right. Think about Barnsley away last season.

Lappin should have been left where he was against Cardiff. Huckerby should have replaced Cureton and if neccessary Martin on for Brown.

The place for Huckerby''s pace and creativity is as far up the pitch as possible where we can really make it count.

[/quote]

Totally agree, and if he is getting no joy he can always switch to the wing.  Lappin looks like he could cut inside as Hucks pulls left and has a good long ranger on him.   Trouble is Brown is not good enough a strike partner for this to work.  Also the midfield has to get in the box ala Francis.

Again this harks back to us not signing a decent taller striker since Ashton.  Perhaps Strihavka will help.

[quote user="Old Boy"]Lappin left midfield definitely, with Huckerby up front, with Strihavka or Martin.
[/quote]   

What happened to Jamie Cureton ?

The question should probably be changed to Huckerby or Cureton?

But realistically that''s the point of a squad. Options and choices. We had the options after an hour against Cardiff but for me the manager made the wrong choices. (But we don''t know about injuries)

I am definitely in the both camp - as CFJ points out Hux remains out best player and should be accomodated;  while Lappin is our best left sided midfielder and so should play too. 

[quote user="T07"]Huckerby and Lappin. Dump Dreary
[/quote]

agreed!

if we need to incorporate them both then thats the only way im afraid! Drury has needed dropping for 2 years as far as im concerened and if we want to accomadate Lappin and Hucks in the same team then thats the only way im afraid.

Lappin has been playing well and doesnt deserve to be left out however... if we choose to play hucks up front then surely Dropping "Bambi" brown is the Only option.

jas :)

M@®TíN ™ wrote:

"What happened to Jamie Cureton ?"

I was wondering that too, after the Cardiff game...Actually, the combination I suggested was one I''d like to see, but there are quite a few others that could work, no doubt. The question is, how do you accomodate Hucks in a 4-4-2?