Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Is The Doc now Untouchable?

Just an observation, nothing more sinister than that, but is Doherty now ''untouchable'' in terms of being dropped?. I''m hoping Murry will play at CH when he''s fully fit, do you?.

This is the one area of the team which concerns me most, I back and support Peter Grant but I do wish this position was cleared up and made more secure, the Doc, although his heart is in the right place, his feet and head (and his arms!) aren''t always at times!.

If Peter leaves it as it is, I fear for him long term, I really do.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Just an observation, nothing more sinister than that, but is Doherty now ''untouchable'' in terms of being dropped?. I''m hoping Murry will play at CH when he''s fully fit, do you?.

This is the one area of the team which concerns me most, I back and support Peter Grant but I do wish this position was cleared up and made more secure, the Doc, although his heart is in the right place, his feet and head (and his arms!) aren''t always at times!.

[/quote]

Couldnt agree more Wiz but like i have said in previous posts, imo i believe this position was top of PGs list until certain unforseen departures and now the kitty has been spent in what PG sees as priorities. We''ve clearly done our shopping and its now a hope that Grants average signings can gel and produce the goods. I am in no way blaming PG for this as i believe many factors are to blame in why he had to sign players all over the field...And yes its mainly down to the board.

the trouble is thousands more share your "observation" the mystery is; nobody at the club seems to share it! very worrying indeed

[quote user="Salahuddin"]the trouble is thousands more share your "observation" the mystery is; nobody at the club seems to share it! very worrying indeed[/quote]

thousands shared the opinion that Worthington was past his sell by date, the mystery was; nobody at the club seems to share it!

If you ask the club they will point out he is much sought after and player of the season a few years back. 

Its been a problem ever since McKay was released and was never more evident than in the Prem year. Many at that time wanted a good CB more than a striker, and Hunter''s use of a zonal marking system placed even greater strain on ability under pressure, teamwork and understanding. I think PG probably IS trying to nail someone else, but he has to be careful what he says in public because it could undermine the confidence of what we do have. That, and the recruitment of a first team coach, seem to be huge priorities to me right now.

with the lack of cover at the moment it''s purely a question of if you can stay fit as a CB you''ll get games, especially with Dions age a factor...Murray needs game time, hopefully his outing for the reserves will be at CB tonight, and I''d like to see Spillane given his chance at CB this season...only a new arrival or an injury will probably see Doc dropped

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

Couldnt agree more Wiz but like i have said in previous posts, imo i believe this position was top of PGs list until certain unforseen departures and now the kitty has been spent in what PG sees as priorities. We''ve clearly done our shopping and its now a hope that Grants average signings can gel and produce the goods. I am in no way blaming PG for this as i believe many factors are to blame in why he had to sign players all over the field...And yes its mainly down to the board.

[/quote]

Come on Arthur you dont blame Grant for his average signings, who do you blame, they are his targets and he was hired as a yes man, which he seems to be doing very nicely. Our board proved lack of ambition the day they appointed him imo.

God, this thread is confusing, what with arfur whittle and arfur witter  [:P]

I think arthur(whittle), simply to blame the board (again) is your stock answer to everything re. NCFC.

If you read Waghorn http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/full_article.asp?i=1628 you start to understand the difficulty in finding the right CB for the right money. If his guestimates are anywhere near being realistic (loan fees + wages) then I don''t think PG would be wise to take this course.

So arthur (whittle) if you were manager, which CB would you have bought in the transfer window for £1/1.5m and on realistic wages ?

[/quote]

The season is 4 games old Wiz and I can''t help wondering what Doherty has done to deserve to be dropped. So I ask you what games would you have dropped him for and who you would have replaced him with. Have you seen Murray?

The Doc is a good honest proffesional who never hid last year when others did. He doesn''t deserve this and I hope he finds another club soon. But IF that leaves us with the Murray I saw at Rochdale then God help us!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

The season is 4 games old Wiz and I can''t help wondering what Doherty has done to deserve to be dropped. So I ask you what games would you have dropped him for and who you would have replaced him with. Have you seen Murray?

The Doc is a good honest proffesional who never hid last year when others did. He doesn''t deserve this and I hope he finds another club soon. But IF that leaves us with the Murray I saw at Rochdale then God help us!

[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more Nutty.

So far the only errors made by defenders that have resulted in goals this season have come from Dublin and Murray (plus Marshall if we include the keeper). Docs is quite limited and fair enough we need better than that to get promotion but his is far from alone. If anyone thinks replacing him is going to solve our defensive problems they are very much mistaken.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]now come on nigel everyone deserves a chance,to write murray off after one shite half is a bit premature isn''t it.And anyway i think the doc has improved a bit

[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]i''m no doherty fan but on what basis do you hope Murray replaces him? It would take more than one crap half against Rochdale to convince me![/quote]

I base my reasons on:

1. Murry played CH in the SPL at the highest level there.

2. He doesn''t enjoy playing at left back at all, as he did against Rochdale.

3. He was unfit and ill that night and Grant later admitted it was wrong to play him that night!.

Nutty N:

But it isn''t just the 4 games this season is it?, the Doc has always been dodgy, in fact, ever since he first pulled on a City shirt!.

Lobster Catcher - Where in my post did I write Murray off? I just said based on his performance at Rochdale. I try not to criticise players on here because we can all only dream of being as talented as those who wear the shirt we are so proud of. I was just making the point that I believe Doherty has done nothing to deserve being dropped for.

Wiz - If you are going to drop a player during the 4 games this season for something he may have done/not done in previous seasons then I am glad Grant was preferred to you at the interviews [;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I am glad Grant was preferred to you at the interviews [;)]

[/quote]

But he wasn''t prefered to me Nutty, I turned the job down before he was appointed!.[;)][;)]

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

I am glad Grant was preferred to you at the interviews [;)]

[/quote]

But he wasn''t prefered to me Nutty, I turned the job down before he was appointed!.[;)][;)]

[/quote]

I''m with Smudger now BIGTIME..

SACK THE BOARD! [:@][:@]

[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]i''m no doherty fan but on what basis do you hope Murray replaces him? It would take more than one crap half against Rochdale to convince me![/quote]

I base my reasons on:

3. He was unfit and ill that night and Grant later admitted it was wrong to play him that night!.

Nutty N:

But it isn''t just the 4 games this season is it?, the Doc has always been dodgy, in fact, ever since he first pulled on a City shirt!.

[/quote]

I thought Doc got player of the season in his first season with the Canaries?[*-)]

[quote user="lappinitup"]

God, this thread is confusing, what with arfur whittle and arfur witter  [:P]

I think arthur(whittle), simply to blame the board (again) is your stock answer to everything re. NCFC.

If you read Waghorn http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/full_article.asp?i=1628 you start to understand the difficulty in finding the right CB for the right money. If his guestimates are anywhere near being realistic (loan fees + wages) then I don''t think PG would be wise to take this course.

So arthur (whittle) if you were manager, which CB would you have bought in the transfer window for £1/1.5m and on realistic wages ?

[/quote]

We''ve managed to sign average players all over the pitch for alot less than 1.5m so i cant see why it would be so hard to get a decent CB for such amount,N,Gotty at Leicster, Sodje and Duberry at Reading to name a couple or three. The point is i dont believe for one minute we have such funds now for this position. Maybe PG was bought in as a yes man as Ricky stated but we''ve got to give him some time to do what he can with tied hands. The board have failed over seasons to invest in young promising players and proven quality to progress the club and the likes of Worthy was allowed to deal in poor quality for ridiculous amounts [Doc for 1m??] It seems that the same scenario is panning out before us with the exception of Marshall and Curo but they cost decent money and it shows, even though the money came from selling the crown jewells.

I base my reasons on:

Nutty N:

[/quote]

Has Doc not played at the highest level, international football, also i am sure he played for spurs in the prem, why dont you look at us as a defensive unit instead of making the Doc an easy target all the time. The team lacks class all over the pitch, but hey its Grants team now, so its ok.

[quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Come on Arthur you dont blame Grant for his average signings, who do you blame, they are his targets and he was hired as a yes man, which he seems to be doing very nicely. Our board proved lack of ambition the day they appointed him imo.

[/quote]

Ricky i see what your getting at but im giving PG a few more games. I believe its still a lttle early to start calling for heads to roll and i dont think it will benifit the club in the main just yet. I gave the current powers that be plenty of time and they havent cut the mustard imo hence the strong oppisition towards them. I must admit though im beggining to have some very grave concerns with regards to PGs managerial skills on a hole and his Man management skills seem to be non excistent but a little more time and we''ll be able to make a better judgement.....unlike the board who have had plenty long imo.

Regards

I base my reasons on:

[/quote]

1. So have many other players. It''s how good he is now that matters. It wasn''t that long ago that Hartson was banging them in for Celtic but that''s history.

2. Peter Grant ''He has all the attributes you look for in a player, a top-class professional, left-sided, can play left-back, left midfield, central midfield and centre back and he can do them all well.''  So let''s play him in another position and keep our fingers crossed he likes it there? 1 down 3 to go.

3.  It was only Rochdale who at the time were 92nd and I think its more the case of Grant protecting the player by making excuses afterwards.

Anyway, I''m not writing Murray off (yet) but merely saying that you''re all for replacing Doherty with Murray without seeing the latter perform in situ. Give him a chance against man City perhaps but I''d rather try Spillane there myself.

I actually thought Doherty had a decent game against Cardiff and if he could mantain that level of performance than he would easily be worth his place in the team... unfortunately im not convinced he can!

i dont think he is untouchable.. but i think it will take a red card or an injury for someone else to get their chance for Grants hand to be forced perhaps, into giving someone else a try.

jas :)