Sign in to follow this  
Shack Attack

Booing David Bentley

What did everybody think of this on Saturday?

Personally I thought it was way over the top. These "fans" surely wanted England to win so how do they think booing one of our players would help?

I think Bentley was probably a bit misguided in his reasons for pulling out of the U21 squad, but it''s been dealt with by the England management. Quite why these idiots decided to boo him on his full debut is beyond me.

i understand him pulling out of the u21''s for fatigue, but.......he should have phrased it differently, or explained himself better,the fans were wrong to boo him, he doesnt deserve that....he should be booed if he is s............

Guess i''m one of those idiots ,i would have booed him to ,it was not just the fact that he turned his back on England it was also the timing pearce could not get a replacement .

Booing this, booing that, booing Crouch, booing Hargreaves, "We are the angry mob, don''t mess with us".

It''s embarrassing!

Football is quickly turning into the new Wrestling.

[quote user="barclayendboy"]Guess i''m one of those idiots ,i would have booed him to ,it was not just the fact that he turned his back on England it was also the timing pearce could not get a replacement .
[/quote]Couldn''t agree more barclayendboy. By pulling out when he did, he deprived another lad the chance to be part of the England set-up. Also, playing for your country is an honour which most young players would bite off their right arms for. Bentley, it seems , is above all that. Shouldn''t have been picked !!

[quote user="barclayendboy"]Guess i''m one of those idiots ,i would have booed him to ,it was not just the fact that he turned his back on England it was also the timing pearce could not get a replacement .
[/quote]

joe Lewis also in affect "turned his back on england" to assist Morcambe.. would u boo him?

jas :)

[quote user="buddhaboy"]i understand him pulling out of the u21''s for fatigue, but.......he should have phrased it differently, or explained himself better,
the fans were wrong to boo him, he doesnt deserve that....
he should be booed if he is s............
[/quote]

FATUGUE !?!?!   These guys are some of the fittest people on the planet and they''re complaining about having to so more than 1 1/2 hours worth of work a week - cobblers!!   Guy was bang out of order to turn his back on England.

PS - don''t agree with booing anybody who''s on your team.

I think at the end of the day, it''s just that Bentley is a little bit thick! He comes across as a bit of an idiot in press interviews etc.. and the poor lad can''t be blamed for that, he is only a footballer not a maths teacher.

Remember when he was at Carrow Road he lost his place in the team for his " ''ave it'' " mucking about in training, and when he was sold by Arsenal he thought it was wise to criticise Arsene Wenger for not knowing what to do with young talent.

I don''t think anyone should be boo-ed when playing for England - but they''ve made their point. Hopefully that is the end of it.

not seen the match as I was busy , but the only reason I can see for Bentley being booed is his pullout from the U21''s . So he makes his debut for the senior team and is booed - musdt give him great confidence I would think

We all knowthat Bentley is very arrogant and very sure of himself , Surely if He is playing for England then these " fans " should get behind him

Not sure what anybody gained by doing that - I might not rate NCFC players or like them , but to boo is stupid  

England fans should give the guy a break, he WAS fatigued, he has training and matches and had played in Europe with Blackburn, for England u21''s, in fa and league cup with Blackburn and in the league. Yes these players are fit but they''re only human!

I think that it is stupid to bo Bentley - he is a top quality player and as well as Wright Phillips played for England he CAN''T cross to save himself, for me Bentley is the long term solution to Beckham!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="barclayendboy"]Guess i''m one of those idiots ,i would have booed him to ,it was not just the fact that he turned his back on England it was also the timing pearce could not get a replacement .[/quote]

joe Lewis also in affect "turned his back on england" to assist Morcambe.. would u boo him?

jas :)

[/quote]Completely different circumstances and you know it .

It was a great shame he was booed.

I think he was booed by hypocritical members of the public, how many of those supporters travelled across to Holland to watch the tournament (Englands end wasn''t full in every game).

He was knackered after a long season and had a right to pull out of a tournament that England did not take seriously. By this I mean at least 1 other player who was under 21 at the time could have been picked (Wayne Rooney). Other countries who were taking the tournament seriously picked players who had played full international games but were under 21 in order to have the best chance of winning.

The stock argument for this is that Rooney played Champions League football and got to the FA Cup final, but Blackburn played UEFA Cup football as well as getting through to the semi final of the FA Cup.

Imagine the scenario if Stuart Pearce had asked Wayne Rooney to play in the Under 21 championships; Ferguson would not have  allowed him to go.  Rooney would not have gone, but would have been picked for the next full international by Mcclaren. I doubt there would have been anything like the fanfare which has taken place, there would have been no criticism from Pearce or Mcclaren and no booing from childish supporters who couldn''t be bothered to leave the prawn sandwich stalls after half time to see England kick off the second half.

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]

It was a great shame he was booed.

I think he was booed by hypocritical members of the public, how many of those supporters travelled across to Holland to watch the tournament (Englands end wasn''t full in every game).

He was knackered after a long season and had a right to pull out of a tournament that England did not take seriously. By this I mean at least 1 other player who was under 21 at the time could have been picked (Wayne Rooney). Other countries who were taking the tournament seriously picked players who had played full international games but were under 21 in order to have the best chance of winning.

The stock argument for this is that Rooney played Champions League football and got to the FA Cup final, but Blackburn played UEFA Cup football as well as getting through to the semi final of the FA Cup.

Imagine the scenario if Stuart Pearce had asked Wayne Rooney to play in the Under 21 championships; Ferguson would not have  allowed him to go.  Rooney would not have gone, but would have been picked for the next full international by Mcclaren. I doubt there would have been anything like the fanfare which has taken place, there would have been no criticism from Pearce or Mcclaren and no booing from childish supporters who couldn''t be bothered to leave the prawn sandwich stalls after half time to see England kick off the second half.

[/quote]Poor feller he was knackered thats allright then , sorry but no excuse all the other players in that squad turned up after playing for there club, no excuse i''m afraid .And what has not going to holland  got to do with it,  does that mean we all have to travel and watch England  before we  can have a view.

[quote user="barclayendboy"]

Poor feller he was knackered thats allright then , sorry but no excuse all the other players in that squad turned up after playing for there club, no excuse i''m afraid .And what has not going to holland  got to do with it,  does that mean we all have to travel and watch England  before we  can have a view.

[/quote]

To say that Bentley pulled out of the squad because he was tired is over simplifying things to suit your argument. He actually said that his aim was to play for England in the European Championship next year and that he thought he would be unable to maintain his form and fitness if he didn''t have a break this summer. He played a hell of a lot of games for Blackburn last season and he obviously thought that playing in the U21 tournament and then going straight into pre-season training for Blackburn (who would have been starting early due to their participation in the InterToto) would have been too much.

Only he knows what his body is capable of and if the break results in him being fresher next summer for Euro 2008 then it will have been worth it. At least he was honest about it as well, there are plenty of players who suddenly develop injuries when their club managers don''t want them to play for their country.

I don''t see how anybody can justify booing a player who plays for a team/country that they claim to support. I guess that being 3-0 up convinced the idiots that their booing would have no impact on the end result, but I wonder what would have happened in Bentley had have started the game?

On a separate note Frank Lampard, Stewart Downing, Phil Neville, Peter Crouch and Owen Hargreaves have all been booed at England matches in recent memory. I can''t remember any of those players pulling out of England squads due to "tiredness", so why were they booed? My opinion is that it''s just become ''fashionable'' to boo someone at the match for the minority of morons who follow England. It''s probably a reflection on society as a whole, but that''s an entirely different argument and I''ve waffled enough already!

i would hate to see bentley putting an 60 hour shift in a factory ,lads of his age would give there right arm to play football twice a week nevermind play for england poor lad ! boo

"And what has not going to holland  got to do with it,  does that mean we all have to travel and watch England  before we  can have a view."

It''s pretty obvious, Barclayendboy. If you don''t care about the tournament, why does it matter who plays and who pulls out? If it means nothing to you, or most other fans, becuase you care more about the FULL england side, why shouldn''t Bentley be the same?

[quote user="Mook"]

"And what has not going to holland  got to do with it,  does that mean we all have to travel and watch England  before we  can have a view."

It''s pretty obvious, Barclayendboy. If you don''t care about the tournament, why does it matter who plays and who pulls out? If it means nothing to you, or most other fans, becuase you care more about the FULL england side, why shouldn''t Bentley be the same?

[/quote]Well Mooky boy who said i didn''t care about the tournament ,as it happens i watched every game England were involved in, i can''t help it if i can''t get time off from work and of course the small matter of expence,

And fair enough to you, BEB.

However, I couldn''t give a rats ass about the U21 tournament, other than I hope we win and our good players come through into the seniors. And I would wager that 90% of the boo-ists couldn''t name half the U21 squad, so why they suddenly think that Bentley is "turning his back on his country" is beyond me if they''re not bothered either. It''s just the papers telling people what to think.

Having said all this, I don''t agree with Bentley doing what he did. But I wouldn''t boo cos I think it''s embarrassing.! It''s a football match, not a bloody pantomime!!

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Deserved it.

[/quote]

So anybody who makes a decision that the angry mob disagree with now deserves to be booed every time they touch the ball.

Excellent.

Why don''t we just do away with the manager and let the fans pick the team by text vote instead?

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Deserved it.

[/quote]

So anybody who makes a decision that the angry mob disagree with now deserves to be booed every time they touch the ball.

Excellent.

Why don''t we just do away with the manager and let the fans pick the team by text vote instead?

[/quote]

So. If you boo, you''re angry?

Maybe you should take the day off from Carrow Road next game....you know, anger fatigue. 

You''re a funny fellow.

OTBC

Of course Bentley deserved to be booed. Why shouldn’t fans demonstrate their disapproval of a player whose reason for refusing to take part in an important international tournament was that he was tired ? Don’t forget that this is a young man at the peak of physical fitness. In my book his attitude displayed arrogance and, frankly, contempt for the England shirt and he should not have been considered for the match against Israel. I doubt that any Norwich fan was surprised by his behaviour, I certainly remember him for his petulance, general disinterest and apparent disenchantment at being at Norwich. MaClaren’s decision to put him on the pitch for the last few minutes was IMO misguided and foolish which is what I think he is anyway. The fact that so many fans spontaneously booed Bentley when he started to warm up is I think a measure of the general disapproval of him and to argue that they shouldn’t have booed him seems silly. But that’s just my opinion of course.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Deserved it.

[/quote]

Excellent.

[/quote]

Maybe you should take the day off from Carrow Road next game....you know, anger fatigue. 

You''re a funny fellow.

OTBC

[/quote]

More likely than not I would say. When you visualise those people do you see happy, serene faces or angry, snarling ones?

How do you know whether I intend to go to the next home game or not?

You''re hilarious.

NMTD

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Deserved it.

[/quote]

Excellent.

[/quote]

You''re a funny fellow.

OTBC

[/quote]

More likely than not I would say. When you visualise those people do you see happy, serene faces or angry, snarling ones?

How do you know whether I intend to go to the next home game or not?

You''re hilarious.

NMTD

[/quote]

Thing is Attack, I didn''t ''visualise'' them - I saw them

As Old Salt said, the booing was spontaneous and not organised. Hence widely critical, but not angry.

Snarlers? I suppose it takes one to know one.

And funny that funny has more than one meaning, innit?

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Thing is Attack, I didn''t ''visualise'' them - I saw them

As Old Salt said, the booing was spontaneous and not organised. Hence widely critical, but not angry.

Snarlers? I suppose it takes one to know one.

And funny that funny has more than one meaning, innit?

OTBC

[/quote]

Fair do''s Bly, you were there and I wasn''t. They were a calm mob, but a mob all the same.

The thing that I have a problem with is that the first time it happened it was very much a minority but at the end it seemed like the whole of Wembley was at it. Now am I expected to believe that the fans who didn''t boo when he first touched the ball made an informed decision to boo him the next time he touched it? Perhaps mob is the wrong word too, unless you can get a mob of sheep?!

Oh, and why was Phil Neville booed when he came on? Or Stuart Downing, Frank Lampard, Owen Hargreaves and Peter Crouch previously? Who''s the next victim for the ovine hecklers (no more angry mob accusations from me)?

Takes one to know one? You''re better than that Bly.

I think you''re both kinds of funny, but in a very endearing way.

The only thing Bentley has done was being honest as to why he couldn''t play, if he said that he''s injured then no one would have complained. But just because he is over exerted or fatigued people boo him.....what a joke!!

Personally i say good on him for being honest the everyone rather than the norm by saying injured in training or such like.

Yes it is a great honour for people to play for England but at the end of the day its the club and their fans who pay his wages, just ask westham fans and wether they would have wanted Dean Ashton with England squad only for him to miss the season through injury!!

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Fair do''s Bly, you were there and I wasn''t.

[/quote]

If I''d known you were going Bly I would have asked you to get me a program [;)]

For me, it wasn''t so much about Bentley''s decision not to go, nor his reasons for that.  It was purely down to the timing of his decision - it left Pearce unable to call-up a replacement, which could have been disastrous for us, and almost was.  By the end of the semi-final we were the walking wounded and would have struggled to name 11 fit players.

[quote user="Steven Smart"]

The only thing Bentley has done was being honest as to why he couldn''t play, if he said that he''s injured then no one would have complained. But just because he is over exerted or fatigued people boo him.....what a joke!!

Personally i say good on him for being honest the everyone rather than the norm by saying injured in training or such like.

Yes it is a great honour for people to play for England but at the end of the day its the club and their fans who pay his wages, just ask westham fans and wether they would have wanted Dean Ashton with England squad only for him to miss the season through injury.

[/quote]

Well, didn''t do much much good for Chris Sutton, did it? Being honest that is.[:-*]

And Sutton was twice the player that Bentley will likely ever be.[<:o)]

OTBC