Sign in to follow this  
0peteddMMyyyy0Falseen-USTrue

Wot no new Centre Back?

The loan window has not really opened yet - there is a gap between August 31st and the loan window. Things may have been going on behind the scenes, and we may be delightfully surprised.The Cameroon CB on trial could have reduced the need for a loan, but I did not really expect PG to sign him with so little recent football behind him. Whether we shall have a new CB on loan, I don''t know, but we shall certainly know soon. I am a little surprised that PG has not been able to prise away one of the many Wet Sham CBs as a short-term replacement, but perhaps...

I said in may that it would be a risk boardering on criminal negligence to start the season without cover at centre back - we have, and now the window has closed and our captain is injured and still we have none.  

It has not impressed me.

As I''ve said many times, games need not be about defending. Go with a really attacking formation, get the goals first and then keep up the pressure, keep it up their end and then deploy more defensive players to give the attacking boys a rest.

For example,against palace:

Marshall

Speedy Jonzales    Dublin    Drury

Brellier

Russel

Croft                                                                Huckerby

Strihavka         Cureton

Give Russel the license to attack, let Brellier do his thing, have Croft and Hux get it as far up the pitch on the floor then they can pass to both forwards or cross to Dave.I suppose they could try crossing to Cureton but he''s unlikely to be able to jump as high as Daves upper lip.   

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

I said in may that it would be a risk boardering on criminal negligence to start the season without cover at centre back - we have, and now the window has closed and our captain is injured and still we have none.  

It has not impressed me.

[/quote]

Agree completetely ZLF. You cannot do anything about the injuries but it is the managers job to ensure that the squad is full and balanced. We have needed a centre-half for so long that excuses are not acceptable.

Mark .Y.

who will play vs palace then?

Kinda wish i could do a job a the back!

Maybe they''re letting Dion carry on before they sign one.

There''s no doubting the fact that we do have money there available, we just need to attract the talent, and to do that we need to win, but to win, we need more talent... AAAGH!

The only 2 ways i c are having a youth player or young prem player come in and do well, or work harder than the opposition

Sat will def see Doc & Dion back in partnership;   hopefully Dion can remain error free this time  [;)]

we have a center back.. his name is Michael Spillane... he cost us nothing and is available immediately.... He wont even need a sqaud number issuing as he already has one...

Over to you Mr Grant!

jas :)

Jas - at 5 foot 9 is he really up to this league (dominate by aerial power) at centre back?   His recent appearances have been in midfield which suggests that is where PG sees his future.

Palace probably have a physically smaller strike force than most and I would plump for Doc and dion rather than use spillane...

Michael Spillane

Date of Birth: 1989-03-23
Place of Birth: Cambridge, England
Height: 6''3 ft
Weight: 11st 10lbs

PU and club site both have him down as 5 foot 9 - he has never looked 6''3" when he has played, I assume the truth is out there? 

Football manager 2007 has him as 5''10...

Still Flemmo was under 6ft and served us with distinction for 10 years.... Height matters little if u have a good jump, and can use the ball and tackle well...

jas :)

Zip - I can''t believe that Spillane is only 5''9" tall! Have you seen him on the pitch? He looks over 6'' to me! Take a look at the squad photo, he is at least as tall as Ryan Jarvis who is 6''1"" and probably nearly as tall as Dion Dublin who is 6''2". Either that or he is stood on the crate you used to use in the River End [;)][:P]

[quote user="Bucketman"]

As I''ve said many times, games need not be about defending. Go with a really attacking formation, get the goals first and then keep up the pressure, keep it up their end and then deploy more defensive players to give the attacking boys a rest.

For example,against palace:

Marshall

Speedy Jonzales    Dublin    Drury

Brellier

Russel

Croft                                                                Huckerby

Strihavka         Cureton

Give Russel the license to attack, let Brellier do his thing, have Croft and Hux get it as far up the pitch on the floor then they can pass to both forwards or cross to Dave.I suppose they could try crossing to Cureton but he''s unlikely to be able to jump as high as Daves upper lip.   

[/quote]Hey Bucketman, like the idea of all out attack but us having just 10 players is surely worse than having doc at the back, although......

spillane is bout same height as dion and last time i looked dion woz one of the tallest members of our squad,..  with the exception of mr lewis !

Erm didn''t see that, I think I must be psychic and I am actually sub-consiously anticipating the arrival of a new CB, who will fit in alongside Dion for Palace...

Or else I''m just being slow, which is more likely. If I was to rectify that I''d have Murray at the back with Dion because he needs a game at Carrow so we can all find out if he''s the new Hughes or not. Plus we have DAVE which can only be good. I''ve only seen him play about the equivalent of one half or less, but hes already my favourite this season.