Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Should we now go after Warnock?

As much as I back Grant and support him, I''d still prefer to see Neil at City.

Whoa! hang on chaps, here me out!.

He has bags of drive and passion just like Peter has, but the one big plus with him is his vast experience. He believes in the fast passing game too, and right now thats just what City need.

Or have I gone mad at long last?.[:D]

Your polite considered thoughts please.

I think fans are too ready to look for a quick fix. Grant has the passion and drive but also knows how to win games. 

Running the game from midfield is so important for not letting leads slip like we have been doing, and as a midfielder he will get the balance right.

Warnock is a good manager really but chopping and changing is not the way to settle a squad and progress. Grant was a good choice for city and deserves the time mangers used to get to really build a squad ready to push. 

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

As much as I back Grant and support him, I''d still prefer to see Neil at City.

Whoa! hang on chaps, here me out!.

He has bags of drive and passion just like Peter has, but the one big plus with him is his vast experience. He believes in the fast passing game too, and right now thats just what City need.

Or have I gone mad at long last?.[:D]

Your polite considered thoughts please.

[/quote]

No not mad.  Maybe a little harsh on Peter Grant who hasn''t done much wrong considering the tools he has to work with. 

But as you rightly point out, Warnock likes a fast passing game, he is also an exceptional motivator who worked wonders at Shef Utd with a limited budget.  Paul Jewell is another who IMO ticks all the boxes.

Key things to consider here though is that A. It would be expensive to axe Grant, B. Does he really deserve the sack, C. Would more upheaval really benefit the club long term, D. Could we afford either of them...... 

I think much of his passion for Sheff Utd was down to his own love of the club (correct me if I''m wrong, though) - and I''m not sure that''d translate well to another club and he''d probably end up being hated by the entire of Norfolk should things not work out for him.Agreed though, better prospect than Grant for sure?

No, we shouldn''t go after Warnock or anyone else :[quote]...in Stringer''s experience it takes three years to build a side; three

season of tweaking and twiddling and ironing out all the flaws before

any manager gets near to the finished product.He cited Saunders

and the length of time it took him to get that famous, Canary promotion

side to the peak of their powers - and that, of course, is all with the

kind of consistency selection-wise that comes with strapped-up ankles

and one substitute on the bench.You could, just about, apply

the same time-frame to the team that Nigel Worthington built in the

run-up to City''s 2004 title triumph; Stringer made another valid point

that in the case of himself, Mike Walker and again Worthington, they

all enjoyed the kind of head-start an insider gets - that being on the

coaching staff already means that from day one you know where the

problems are, on and off the pitch.It was a luxury that Grant

clearly doesn''t enjoy; he has started, effectively, from scratch and -

in theory - his new-built team should be expected to hit the peak of

their powers in the early spring of 2010, not in the late autumn of

2007.[/quote]Quote from hereWill we ever allow a manager 3 seasons to build a team again ?

[8]The other man''s grass is always greener
The sun shines brighter on the other side
The other man''s grass is always greener
Some are lucky, some are not
But just be thankful for what you''ve got

Is that polite enough for ya Wiz [;)]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]No, we shouldn''t go after Warnock or anyone else :

[quote]...in Stringer''s experience it takes three years to build a side; three season of tweaking and twiddling and ironing out all the flaws before any manager gets near to the finished product.

He cited Saunders and the length of time it took him to get that famous, Canary promotion side to the peak of their powers - and that, of course, is all with the kind of consistency selection-wise that comes with strapped-up ankles and one substitute on the bench.

You could, just about, apply the same time-frame to the team that Nigel Worthington built in the run-up to City''s 2004 title triumph; Stringer made another valid point that in the case of himself, Mike Walker and again Worthington, they all enjoyed the kind of head-start an insider gets - that being on the coaching staff already means that from day one you know where the problems are, on and off the pitch.

It was a luxury that Grant clearly doesn''t enjoy; he has started, effectively, from scratch and - in theory - his new-built team should be expected to hit the peak of their powers in the early spring of 2010, not in the late autumn of 2007.[/quote]

Quote from here

Will we ever allow a manager 3 seasons to build a team again ?

[/quote]

The other issue now is that players are ready to move on quicker. If, in one of those development seasons, three players hit their peak early, they''ll leave for the Premiership rather than hanging around to see if the thrid year is a success. (some players excluded, but those are merely exceptions to the rule.)

We shouldn''t start to subscribe to the "replace the Manager" solution -if it is one- all because things aren''t going as we''d hoped.

The board were more than patient with Worthy, and, in the end, gave him too long-but he can never, and they can never say or be accused of a knee jerk reaction or giving him enough time to build a new team, any team.

There is no way Grant should even feel remotely under threat at the moment. How long did it take Ferguson to sort out Man Utd, he says in his autobiography that it takes three years to make a team your own, much the same as Stringer did. Grant come in, gets players in, ships out the ones he doesn''t want-he''ll still be doing it in January and in Summer 2008, you can be sure of that.

There are clubs that chop and change Managers-Palace, under dickhead Jordan have, now Peter Taylor is feeling the heat after barely a year in charge there. Ditto Leicester-and what a joke they are, replacing Martin Allen with Gary Megson!-Megson follows a long list; Micky Adams had barely two years and was axed in 2002, since then they''ve got through numerous others-the afore mentioned Allen, Worthy, Rob Kelly, Craig Levein...whose to say Megson will be the answer, whose to say that they won''t be looking again, come next Summer? It simply doesn''t work-Megson will want to change things around again, more players in, more out, coaching staff, playing technique etc etc. Will they go up this season? Unlikely.

Leeds did the same-and, when you consider the turmoil there, you''d think the consistency of a stable management would help-but no, out went O''Leary, followed by Venables, Reid, Gray, Blackwell and now Wise....

I''d like to see the justification for sacking Grant now. What is it, exactly? And, should we do so, and be open to paying him off, plus Duffy in all likelihood, would those advocating the sacking then moan because any money available for transfers had to go on paying them off? And who would want the job? Little or no money to spend, supporters who don''t get behind the management, a board that suffers from knee jerk reactions-yes, they''d be queuing up to come here wouldn''t they?

Grant knows what his job is. He speaks boldly of finishing as Champions this season, but I can''t see that happening, not yet. I''d be happy with a top 8 finish/place in the play off''s with the knowledge that a better and more settled squad would be more than equipped to make a real go of it next season, thats the time when we might rightly expect to see this regime prove their worth-and THEN feel the pressure if they still don''t look like delivering. However, how many fans would settle for that and who are expecting results and success NOW? 

right granty should be given at least another 14months to next xmas, this is due to most managers having 3yr plans now adays, also he has only just to develop his own squad and not worthy''s

but...

its best time to get a manager currently with likes of warnock, jewell, allen available then likes of simpson and grayson being avaialable if you made an approach

i like look of gary johnson of bristol c to who done jobs at yeovil and bristolc

its certainly the best time to lose a manager currently

[quote user="blahblahblah"]No, we shouldn''t go after Warnock or anyone else :

[quote]...in Stringer''s experience it takes three years to build a side; three season of tweaking and twiddling and ironing out all the flaws before any manager gets near to the finished product.

He cited Saunders and the length of time it took him to get that famous, Canary promotion side to the peak of their powers - and that, of course, is all with the kind of consistency selection-wise that comes with strapped-up ankles and one substitute on the bench.

You could, just about, apply the same time-frame to the team that Nigel Worthington built in the run-up to City''s 2004 title triumph; Stringer made another valid point that in the case of himself, Mike Walker and again Worthington, they all enjoyed the kind of head-start an insider gets - that being on the coaching staff already means that from day one you know where the problems are, on and off the pitch.

It was a luxury that Grant clearly doesn''t enjoy; he has started, effectively, from scratch and - in theory - his new-built team should be expected to hit the peak of their powers in the early spring of 2010, not in the late autumn of 2007.[/quote]

Quote from here

Will we ever allow a manager 3 seasons to build a team again ?

[/quote]

Football has changed.  It didnt take Billy Davies 3 years to build a team at Preston or at Derby.  Or Bothroyd at Watford.  In 3 years time half our current squad probably won''t be playing here anymore.

Grant could just be a shocking manager. 

[quote user="king of latvia"]hey wiz is this a neg talk well remember the bet what do you say web team.?[/quote]I see Wiz as being positive for Grant but a greater positive for Warnock.... and currently it''s just a "prefer to see Neil at City" rather than a ''want to see to see Neil at City (i.e. replace Grant).I say he gets away with it.

Sorry Wiz i disagree. Give Grant his full season to see if we go up or down.

Its early days and he has brought in a stronger team. But a weaker squad!

The men in the white coats are here. One of us should go with them to the funny farm sooner or later!

[8-)]

Let me add its far to early to judge Grant, i''m not impressed so far, but he should be given this season to show he can turn things around, however if we continue in 20th half way through the season I think some questions should be asked of those who put him in charge.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Let me add its far to early to judge Grant, i''m not impressed so far, but he should be given this season to show he can turn things around, however if we continue in 20th half way through the season I think some questions should be asked of those who put him in charge.[/quote]

Thats a fair point. Given they made the appointment and sanctioned the money spent on transfers and wages etc, sooner or later, you have to question the wisdom of those who made the appointment in the first place. One worry, as always, is that people with little or no footballing knowledge or expertise are supposed to be knowledgeable enough to appoint a manager who is in charge of just that-the footballing side of things. You wouldn''t expect the Board of ICI to feel confident about appointing a Warden for a National Trust property for example, though you would think they''d know a thing or two about chemists! Likewise, business men and women, financiers, chefs et al knowing who might make a good football manager and who might not? Easier if you have the cream of the crop  to choose from, not so if you have to "gamble"-which is where you would hope they ask for outside and experienced help.

Someone like the Turners may be well postioned to knoe all about ND''s job, likewise, who better than Delia to appoint a Chef and catering staff. But footbal managers....?

Hence the need to have a very strong footballing presence on our board and at least two directors with that sort of expertise and with influence, not mentioning names or connections and paying lip service as they seem to have done in the past.

Grant has had 4 games with his own players and thats much too early to make a judgement.

Lets discuss it again at Xmas.

Neil Warnock??? lol, Well why don''t we just get Nigel Worthington back, lets face it whats Warnock done that Worthy hasn''t? Warnock got Sheff Utd promoted with a massive transfer budget if i remember, and then as soon as they got relegated he quit. Why would we want him here?

I don''t actually see what the problem is.

When we win the Championship after getting our ''sheet'' together, Grant will then be head-hunted by his beloved Celtic. Gordon Strachan will be demoted to groundsman''s assistant - and Sooper Granty will be the new w''Hoops manager! After being given substantial compo from the Jockenese for their poaching of our superb manager ( including a written clause that Delia must put Haggis, tatties an'' neeps with fried Mars bars on the restyrunt menu''s - with McKewan''s ale, Tennent''s Lager and Ir''n Bru in the bars, and all the catering staff wearing Canary Tartan uniform)......We then re-appoint Brian Hamilton as manager, but as supporters, are only allowed entry to home games if we are dressed as Leprechauns, carrying a lucky cudgel and singing, "Begorrah Be''jabers an'' a Fiddley Diddley Dee - we''ll win the Premiership easily - jus'' you wait an'' see!"

An absolute inane and crazy post from me.........but certainly not as wacko as Wizz''s! [:|]