Sign in to follow this  
Trent Canary

Palace Player ratings

Better performance, against a very poor palace team.

Marshall - 6 - Dealt with crosses well, and saved all he had to save. Looked dodgy on pass backs again. Tis his only weakness in my view.

Drury - 6 - Solid.

Otsemobor - 7 - Lightning going forward as per usual. Has this great habit of overlapping the winger and outpacing the full back to receive the ball in dangerous areas. Set up two chances for russell and cureton that should have produced a goal. Does get caught out with long balls in behind him though.

Dion - 8 - MOM - Another good display. Won everything in the air, set up the goal for strihavka. Wish he wouldnt hoof the ball so much, but still a quality performance.

Doc - 6 - Better on the floor as far as the defensive side goes. Conceded fouls against dickov, even thought hes three foot taller. So many aimless balls forward I lost count.

Lappin - 6 - Solid. Does the basics well.

Russell - 7 - A little terrier, still lacking the quality I think that he has. But I believe he will be perfect opposite someone like Jimmy Smith.

Huckerby - 6 - Lots of effort, looked dangerous, but no real end product. Good to have him back.

Chadwick - 5 - Poor again, Not much work in defence, and nothing going forward.

Brown - 5 - Won headers, but the ball never found one of our players (Whether thats his fault or not is up for debate), still doesnt look like scoring, skied a good chance in second half.

Cureton - 5 - Missed two good chances, and didnt do too much else.

Subs

Strihavka - 7 - Well taken goal. Looked good on the ball and in the air. Held the ball up superbly in the last 5 minutes, knew what had to be done. Should start next game.

Fans - Poor again, god knows whats gone wrong with our support in the last few years. Easily outsung by the palace fans, who lets be honest have been in a similar position to us (Promoted, then shocking ever since). THey still sing, why cant we?

We were poor yet still created 8 more chances than we did against Cardiff,  thats how poor Palace were.   Too much Cambridge/Wimbledon style tactics played into their hands too often and we will need more to give ourselves chance against better sides.  Worryingly this must be close to our first choice 11 yet we seemed clueless. 

Defence played well offering Palace not chances, midfield were better than against cardiff but the strikers were woeful and wastefu, the starting pair having 6 excellent opportunities yet failed to hit the target once.

Marshall 6 - kicking remains a joke but very little to do,  his goal was never seriously threatened.

Otsemebor 6 - Should have two assists - good pull backs when going forward in first half,  seems to be developing an understanding with Chadwick,  easy day defensively

Dion 7 - Dominated the palace attack, very solid but some weaknesses evidenct. Positionally weaker than Doc today going for balls that doc already had covered near the end and leaving his own attacker unmarked - really woeful distribution.

Doc 7 - Like Dion pretty much rock solid, but different errors -   some clumsy challenges, some loose passes but did what the manager wanted without mistakes and snubbed their threat out 

Drury 7 - Thanklessly exposed again by the return of hux on the wide left - did well defensively but crossing poor

Chadders 6 - Good first half with the pass of the day inside the full back for Ostemebor to cross for Cureton;  repeated it later in teh second half for Rustys chance.  Faded badly second half as he started to run like a charecter out of the chariots of fire.  Do we have a fitness regime to get our players to last 90 mins???

Lappin 6 Linked better with rusty than Brellier but a little lost in the middle.

Rusty 6  Better energy from rusty today and given a lovely lay off from brown in the second half but didnt get a shot away. Should have done better with his first half effort that hit the bar too.

Hux 6 Clearly not yet fit,  was our only real danger going forward but left chasing hopeless long diagonal ''passes'' or hoicked balls down the line.  Poor crossing today.  Stunned he is back in midfield as he causes us as many problems there as us.

Cureton 4 - Given 3, yes 3, excellent chances today yet didnt get one on target - the first half one in particular was criminal Also had  a 1v1 on the keeper but never looked like scoring. Semingly unable to read any flick ons from Brown.   Contributed nothing to the team play so has to hit the target when given the chacnes (he was today, but didnt get the service against cardiff) failed miserably and the player to drop. 

Brown 5 - Two decent chances today and fluffed them both;   but did exactly what asked by his manager,  acted as a focal point for long ball football,  winning as many headers as he lost but with no support from his partner or midfield he may as well not have bothered.  Not good enough - but did more for the team than Cureton, again.   Taking him off DID mean we stopped hoicking the ball quite as much.

Strihavka 6 - scored by being in the right place at the right time,  lucky not to conceed a penalty from a corner when he simply pushed his opponent off the near post - more rugby than anything else - having been positioned to the millimetre by dion where to stand!  Keep him out of our penalty box!  Movement but to soon to say. 

On reflection id give doc a 7. Each time Otsemobor was out of position for a long ball, Doc covered well to clear the danger.

Forgot about curetons 1 on 1 as well, never looked composed.

Marshall 6? Have you forgotten the fantastic free-kick save he made (saw it very late, got the ball before Palace could), and also a very good save he made, although the flag was up, I thought it was almost as good as that of Rob Green''s against Stoke, just before he got in the national squad.

Fair enough post but would like to add my 2 pence worth.  IMO Lappin was man of the match yesterday.  He has tgood left foot.  I thought him and russel in the middle yesterday were very good and he passed and broke up play very well.  Wasnt afraid to get himself in on the challenge either and sunk into the midfield battle.  Add his work rate.  You also mention Dublin hoofing the ball up too much.  I have no problem with this as it clears the ball from our defensive third and could lead to a crafty flick on or a half chance.  Just takes sting out of attack and lets the defence re-group, nothing wrong with that.  If only Brown had the intelligence to anticipate where the ball might drop. Sthrikava came on and did things with more ease and purpose for 20 minutes tan Brown could do all game.  Dave is more of a physical presence and looks a tidy player at feet and with head.  Brown huffed and puffed and looked out of his depth.  thats all folks

Trent Canary wrote

Fans - Poor again, god knows whats gone wrong with our support in the last few years. Easily outsung by the palace fans, who lets be honest have been in a similar position to us (Promoted, then shocking ever since). THey still sing, why cant we?

Fans - Stunned into silence from a very poor game from two poor teams (PinkUn says we had two shots on target) - away fans always sing more

Thorpe area - To be honest I was on row B of the jarrold stand, the wall was blocking the save from my perspective, so no I couldnt see it. However I still didnt like whatever he did with those two pass backs, both times he could easily have been dispossesed, and in a game where palace had few chances I would rather he just boots its clear. And yes it was a cracking save from morrison, albeit offside.

Steve - No excuse, couple of years ago we would not have been so silent. And these days whether we play well or badly we never sing. Think every game ive been to theres a chant of "can you hear norwich sing" etc...  But nevermind. Hopefully if we start winning again the crowd will come back to life.

marshall 6 dealt with most things adequately

otsemobor   7 gets forward well and recovers well

drury   8 mom for me he had his best game in ages

dublin 7 was prepared to throw himself in front of everything again but still hoofs it too often for me

doherty 5 conceded the usual half a dozen free kicks and was lucky to get away with grabbing dickov by the throat on halfway

chadwick 4 had a stinker, no pace doesnt know what to do except cut in all the time

lappin   7 had a good game in centre midfield is proving to be very versatile

russell 7 another solid display

huckerby 7 was always a threat

brown 6 won a lot in air but never looks like doing much else

cureton   6 starved of service again but should have scored when one on one with speroni

subs

strihavka 7 was full of running and brought movement to our front line for a change

croft 6 so much better than croft

brellier 6 neat and tidy

grant 7 best use of subs in an awfully long time

[quote user="Steve Mortlock"]    Fair enough post but would like to add my 2 pence worth. 
IMO Lappin was man of the match yesterday.  He has tgood left foot.  I thought him and russel in the middle yesterday were very good and he passed and broke up play very well.  Wasnt afraid to get himself in on the challenge either and sunk into the midfield battle.  Add his work rate. 
[/quote]

well thank god for that. someone who actually notices how well lappin plays, totally agree Steve!

[quote user="Steve Mortlock"]    Fair enough post but would like to add my 2 pence worth. 
IMO Lappin was man of the match yesterday.  He has tgood left foot.  I thought him and russel in the middle yesterday were very good and he passed and broke up play very well.  Wasnt afraid to get himself in on the challenge either and sunk into the midfield battle.  Add his work rate. 
[/quote]

well thank god for that. someone who actually notices how well lappin plays, totally agree Steve!

Fans: crystal palace 8.........Norwich 2

no excuses, we (collectively) were AWFUL   (far far worse than the team we purport to support -they not only deserve better, but just by pulling on the jersey derserve much better than what they''re getting.) 

We have been for quite some time,...

devoid of any imagination, no guts, mo passion, no humour, dull, but hey lets just blame the Team/Grant/Delia/Doc/Brown etc etc etc [|-)] point the point the finger elsewhere (it''s easier)

EMBARRASSING!

our very own prawn sandwich brigade [:|]

...just think if Huckerby was coming on loan to us now !

..or anyone worth their salt for that matter.

[:$]WE ONLY SING WHEN WE''RE WINNING,

SHALL WE LET THEM SING A SONG FOR US ????????????[:S]

WAKE UP CARROW ROAD ! 

THE WORLD DOESN''T OWE YOU A LIVING..YOU DON''T WANT TO SUPPORT THEM, ...YOU DON''T FEEL YOU CAN BRING YOURSELF TO

...DON''T COME,

STAY AT HOME AND WATCH THE TELLY, IT''S KINDA LIKE YOU ARE ANYWAY

else,

Sing-up!

Cureton starved of service? He won''t have a better chance all season than the one in the first half put on a shiny silver platter by Otsemobor. He does nothing outside the box, which is fine as long as he is scoring. Couple more games like that and he''ll be under pressure.

Brown is the opposite - does all his work outside the box, none in it. He''s a much better player than most on here give him credit for.

Totally agree about the fans. We were awful on Saturday. If the players showed that little commitment to the cause we''d (rightly) be slating them.

This is a new team, obviously short of confidence, that needs a bit of time to gel and passionate support when things are looking ropy, not just a couple of choruses of On The Ball, City for ten minutes after we score.

Im glad the majority of you agree with me that WE PLAYED WELL (well maybe) however we made palace look ordinary. You could then argue that palace are ordinary however they beat southampton 4-1 on the first day. Yes a few players (chris brown springs to mind) played badly but all teams have that. We kept going at palace and should have scored a few, however we are grinding out results. 0-0 at preston, 2-1 v southampton and palace 1nil.  We played well v cardiff and hull well lets not talk about that. Big up to Davey for his first goal (he has to start v charlton surely?) Well done to PG for his great subs and Doherty wasnt quite as bad as usual. A good all round team performance, im cautiously optimistic v charlton. COME ON YOU YELLOWS

for a printer you''ve got a bad choice of fonts for your post

do not shout, it only detracts from what you are trying to say

[quote user="Robert no longer in Manila"]

Cureton starved of service? He won''t have a better chance all season than the one in the first half put on a shiny silver platter by Otsemobor. He does nothing outside the box, which is fine as long as he is scoring. Couple more games like that and he''ll be under pressure.

Brown is the opposite - does all his work outside the box, none in it. He''s a much better player than most on here give him credit for.

[/quote]

Agreed about Brown that he''s not that bad a player overall but he was pretty poor yesterday and that was a shocking miss in the second half.

Cureton was equally ineffective though. Never mind a couple more games, he should be under pressure now.

I''d give Strihavka a start on Tuesday for sure. It''d be good to see what he can do for 90 minutes.

[quote user="walks on water"]

no excuses, we (collectively) were AWFUL   (far far worse than the team we purport to support -they not only deserve better, but just by pulling on the jersey derserve much better than what they''re getting.) 

devoid of any imagination, no guts, mo passion, no humour, dull, but hey lets just blame the Team/Grant/Delia/Doc/Brown etc etc etc [|-)] point the point the finger elsewhere (it''s easier)

EMBARRASSING!

WAKE UP CARROW ROAD ! 

THE WORLD DOESN''T OWE YOU A LIVING..YOU DON''T WANT TO SUPPORT THEM, ...YOU DON''T FEEL YOU CAN BRING YOURSELF TO

...DON''T COME,

else,

Sing-up!

[/quote]

start a song and then perhaps others will join in...

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

OK jas..

[8] My old man said be an ipswich fan.......

I dare ya [;)]

Not really a great performance really, but we had some good spells without ever looking threating, except during the last 10 mins of the first half and the when dave came on.

Marshall - 7 - Generally good in all areas and made some good saves. His kicking is still poor and didn''t help a poor brown really, but apart from that dealt comfortably with everything.

Drury - 6 - Solid. Can''t add more than that, got forward well.

Otsemobor - 7 - Lightning going forward as per usual. Has this great

habit of overlapping the winger and outpacing the full back to receive

the ball in dangerous areas. Set up two chances for russell and cureton

that should have produced a goal. Does get caught out with long balls

in behind him though. Agree again, if he had a more attacking option such as croft ahead it would have helped even further.

Dion - 8.5 - joint MOM - Another good display. Makes up for his lack of speed with absoultely SUPERB positioning. He is soo good it is unreal, yeh he hoofs too much but least he gets the ball away and i don''t mind too much. If we had 10 Dublins we''d win the league, shame there isn''t 10 of him...

Doc - 6 - Best performance this season against a tricky customer in dickov. Struggled to understand and get to grips with palaces "3 man attack" which appeared to make him wander into space for no reason. Gave some fouls and his clearances and passing were at his usual standard... i.e. not good.

Lappin - 8.5 joint MOM - His passing in midfield generally started most counter attacks and made up for the lack of passing in midfield. Some great crossing and corners, again, I reckon he must be the best set piecer in the league. Deserves his place in the team and I don''t mind him in midfield against teams that aren''t too tough in the midfield and miss big tackles as he is more that fair game against them and gives us more attacking options. Well done.

Russell - 7 - A little terrier, still lacking the quality I think

that he has. But I believe he will be perfect opposite someone like

Jimmy Smith.

Huckerby - 6 - Quick, dangerous typical huckerby without threatning, scared poor ol'' butterfield to death but was too often predictable in his cut backs and struggled to get past his two markers at the byline, but impressive and promising.

Chadwick - 4 - Average, very average, would be better used away from home where he can add more defensively, he is effectively redundant going forwards though which is frustrating and slowed us down together with....

Brown - 3 - Utter rubbish i''m afraid brown fans. Won very little and what he did was rubbish and never going to find a norwich player. Needs to watch dave to learn how to play football and to score, missed an absolute sitter, an open goal minus the players on the line... tut tut. Never looks like he''s gonna break his duck, and ran around with no ambition or idea.

Cureton - 5 - Ran around but has got no chance without a decent partner. Had a chance that i couldn''t see well from the N&P that was supposedly a sitter. Missed a better opotunity when put though FINALLY by Dave after 2000 games with brown. Needs more chances which he won''t get brown with though.

Subs

Strihavka - 8 - Wondeful, what sight, he was really up for it, you could see it on his face. Scored went mental towards us fans I cried a bit in joy and finally we can say good ridence to brown. The most promsing 30 minutes i''ve seen in a long time. C''mon!

Croft - 6 - Should have started, good.Brellier - Didn''t do much, not much time mind.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="walks on water"]

EMBARRASSING!

WAKE UP CARROW ROAD ! 

...DON''T COME,

else,

Sing-up!

[/quote]

[/quote]

hahaha  What?  it''s my fault now.

i DID.

Upper barclay C Block weren''t up for it,

interesting demographic there

the footy mad Spurs supporter & elderly lady behind me were the most vociferous.

by all means point the finger at me, but look within at yourselves next game...

You doing your bit ???

otbc

ktf

[quote user="baldyboy"]

marshall 6 dealt with most things adequately

otsemobor   7 gets forward well and recovers well

drury   8 mom for me he had his best game in ages

dublin 7 was prepared to throw himself in front of everything again but still hoofs it too often for me

doherty 5 conceded the usual half a dozen free kicks and was lucky to get away with grabbing dickov by the throat on halfway

chadwick 4 had a stinker, no pace doesnt know what to do except cut in all the time

lappin   7 had a good game in centre midfield is proving to be very versatile

russell 7 another solid display

huckerby 7 was always a threat

brown 6 won a lot in air but never looks like doing much else

cureton   6 starved of service again but should have scored when one on one with speroni

subs

strihavka 7 was full of running and brought movement to our front line for a change

croft 6 so much better than croft

brellier 6 neat and tidy

grant 7 best use of subs in an awfully long time

[/quote]thats pretty much what i would say exept for cureton, he had 5 shots, and enarly had two more, not exactly starved

I wasn''t at the game but noticed that Lapin got into the Team of The Week in the Mirror Newspaper.

Saw Daves goal on Virgin this morning, he took it well, it could be the start of something great, Good celebration too, Has to start against Charlton.

Oh WE8WBA I''m delighted with their result. Watched it on Virgin too, brought a big smile to my face [:D]

Quality stuff from DaveTS. Completely chuffed for him.

He deserves his start on Tuesday, and Martin deserves to be putting pressure on Cureton. Plus Hucks can always be pushed up top too.

There''s no reason for us to be struggling with goals. But that is two clean sheets in five games.

A couple of people have criticised Marshall for his kicking but at least three times in the match, he launched a very quick goal kick which would curl inch-perfectly into the path of Huckerby, setting him off on a run against a back-tracking Palace defence. Did no-one else notice this? I thought kicking (at least in the passing aspect) was quite a strong point for Marshall; but I guess that''s the beauty of talking about football!

Aye agreed. In retrospect, i was a tad harsh on him. He did some good kicks to hucks and some good throw outs and aiming for brown isn''t the easiest task either, has to be pinpoint for him to actually be able to win it.

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]A couple of people have criticised Marshall for his kicking but at least three times in the match, he launched a very quick goal kick which would curl inch-perfectly into the path of Huckerby, setting him off on a run against a back-tracking Palace defence. Did no-one else notice this? I thought kicking (at least in the passing aspect) was quite a strong point for Marshall; but I guess that''s the beauty of talking about football![/quote]

Yeah I spotted one of those, well remembered. To be honest his kicking was fine today (although I think overall it isnt a strong point of his), its just a couple of times he messed about with it before clearing and could have been dispossesed. Again in a tight game such as that id rather he walloped it into the stands. Suppose after the cardiff game where their keeper ballsed up his clearance I was a bit paranoid!