Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Davy's interview

Anybody hear the interview with Davy Striker on BBC?

Did quite well. Sounded like a nice chap.

Bit strange to hear that he was teaching himself English - phrase books, watching TV, listening to radio, talking with colleagues - and so on. No mention of the club arranging lessons for him though, which I thought more than passing strange. Although maybe he''s just an independent guy (which would be good), or he just didn''t get around to mentioning it.

If this is the case (no lessons), it must be a poor reflection on the club'' attention to detail and thus..........

OTBC

Yes, good interviw-his English is coming on in leaps and bounds!

He sounds a really nice bloke-working hard, wants to succeed here, obviously popular with his fellow players. As for English lessons, I wonder if the club aren''t thinking that you can only spoonfeed a player so much and that they expect a certain amount of independance from any new signing-including English lessons?

I recall Steve McManaman saying in his excellent book that he arranged all his Spanish lessons for himself, Real didn''t do it, they just expected him to make the effort, so he did! Now you can''t even begin to compare the clubs, but the outlook is perhaps the same? So please, lets not find that another way to criticise the club, he seems to be doing perfectly well enough without being molly coddled!

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Did quite well. Sounded like a nice chap.

Bit strange to hear that he was teaching himself English - phrase books, watching TV, listening to radio, talking with colleagues - and so on. No mention of the club arranging lessons for him though, which I thought more than passing strange. Although maybe he''s just an independent guy (which would be good), or he just didn''t get around to mentioning it.

If this is the case (no lessons), it must be a poor reflection on the club'' attention to detail and thus..........

OTBC

[/quote]I''d imagine that is taken as a given to be honest, I can''t imagine any club not arranging lessons, but lessons are a poor subsitute for your own work - I know that from experience!  Plus beyond booking DTS onto the course its mainly his own work anyway.OTBC!ChunkyOTBC!

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

He sounds a really nice bloke-working hard, wants to succeed here, obviously popular with his fellow players. As for English lessons, I wonder if the club aren''t thinking that you can only spoonfeed a player so much and that they expect a certain amount of independance from any new signing-including English lessons?

I recall Steve McManaman saying in his excellent book that he arranged all his Spanish lessons for himself, Real didn''t do it, they just expected him to make the effort, so he did! Now you can''t even begin to compare the clubs, but the outlook is perhaps the same? So please, lets not find that another way to criticise the club, he seems to be doing perfectly well enough without being molly coddled!

[/quote]

So, if my company - which pays me a lot of money and to whose immediate future I am critical -decides to transfer me to Japan at two weeks notice, I should arrange my own Japanese lessons in a strange country whilst getting down to work and finding a house? Give me a break.

I will criticise the club for any perceived shortcoming, Old Shuck, because I demand high standards.

That''s the only way to success these days. Your style of laissez-faire amateurism (cold showers  & throwing the lad in the deep end?) went out with ark and is still the bane of too much of British sport.

Somebody suggested that Peter Grant could do with some English (and in his case elocution) lessons too. In all seriousness, I agree - he has difficulty communicating what he means to both players and the public. All the Scots could also have the courtesy of trimming their Scottish accents. We''re in Norfolk & in England and if half the people can''t understand you, what''s the point? My late father was a Scotsman and he didn''t have this cursed inferiority complex of over-retaining an accent for dubious nationalistic prejudices - he was a professional, knew he had to commnicate and developed a beautifully moderated Scottish accent.

It''s called professionalism and attention to detail. I demand no less of our club - and so should everybody else.

OTBC

[quote user="buddhaboy"]where is this interview?
and yes, he is trying hard,
but, he is letting cureton help him learn, with means, strihavka will become the first czech-somerset hybrid lol
[/quote]

Heres the link for you [:)]

there are are enough posters on here who can''t even spell yet alone speak English so good luck to Dave

No Bly... Japan is very westernised.. Pretty much everyone there speaks english.... So you wouldnt have to learn Japanese.

and as for you being "so important" to your company.. you should know that in todays day and age no one is indespensible.. and to the powers that be your just a face drawing a wage off the budget... like the enemy sing in their song "away from here" your just making other people money... if they decided tommorow that u wernt up to it.. then ur out the door... They might want someone younger, replace you w9ith a machine.. they may simply decide to make you redundant because they re sick of you... Regardless how good you are if getting you off the wage bill saves them money then they do it...

Anyone who thinks their job is safe is a bloody fool!

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

No Bly... Japan is very westernised.. Pretty much everyone there speaks english.... So you wouldnt have to learn Japanese.

and as for you being "so important" to your company.. you should know that in todays day and age no one is indespensible.. and to the powers that be your just a face drawing a wage off the budget... like the enemy sing in their song "away from here" your just making other people money... if they decided tommorow that u wernt up to it.. then ur out the door... They might want someone younger, replace you w9ith a machine.. they may simply decide to make you redundant because they re sick of you... Regardless how good you are if getting you off the wage bill saves them money then they do it...

[/quote]

The school system has a lot to answer for.

1 out of 10 (for effort). Fail.

OTBC

Japan westernised! Don''t think so! Although the people are unfailingly helpful (though terrified) if you need any help, the vast majoritiy don''t speak English.

So unless you are happy communicating in gestures and comedy Englander-abroad shouting you''d have to learn some basic Japanese to have any kind of life there.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]No sign of Muzinic Syndrome then? Some doctor, you are - poor diagnoses, and lethal prescriptions.

[/quote]

Japan is deffinately not westernised. Hardly anybody speaks English. I was out there for the world cup and they are actually pretty scared of western culture. It''s a very strange place but nice all the same.

oh dear oh dear bly... whats School got to do with what i said, if its bad spelling and Grammar than tough Titty.. i care little.

what were you saying again?

oh dear oh dear bly... whats School got to do with what i said, if its bad spelling and Grammar than tough Titty.. i care little.

[/quote]

Logic, my man, logic - that''s what I was ''saying'' - actually the patent lack thereof. Going to scrub your 1, I''m afraid, and post O instead. So, soft titty is now then?

Life''s tough.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Logic, my man, logic - that''s what I was ''saying'' - actually the patent lack thereof. Going to scrub your 1, I''m afraid, and post O instead. So, soft titty is now then?

Life''s tough.

OTBC

[/quote]

again.. i care little...

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

[/quote]That book been around a while Shuck? I should look out for it. Was always a massive Macca fan - my enduring image of him as a player is as part of venables'' euro 96 team and the sight of defenders backing off him in fear, turning this way and that before being properly skinned! And he was always the absolute antithesis of the ''brit abroad'' when he went to Madrid after Gazza had ''done'' Italy. He respected the culture, learnt the language as you say, while Gazza was busy farting at the Italian media and cementing our nation''s reputation in the process! Nice one Paul!