Sign in to follow this  
Smeg

Did Dave the striker get booked?

Did Dave the striker get booked?

from the upper river end, it looked like he got booked for his celebration in the lower river end?

the bbc, sky and teamtalk sites dont list him as being booked??

im i blind or seeing things?

Apparently, yes  - the BBC''s live scores page said it earlier (although not there now for some reason...) and so said the Pink ''Un stats panel  itself (even though there was no mention of it in the match report), but I queried it, and was told it was for his celebration.And from canaries.co.uk -"It was a joyous moment for City''s Czech summer signing who went to

share his delight with the fans behind the goal in the Norwich and

Peterborough Stand - and was promptly booked by referee Mr Probert for

''over-celebrating''.

The over-celebrating rule is by far the most daft and desperate rule applied to football today. All just so the team sponsors get their exposure on TV at the right moment. Are we really going to go back to laws and regulations reminiscent of the Dark Ages. Things like "No whistling on a tuesday whilst carrying a pig on your head" and that kind of thing. Obviously they''d need to be football related like "It is illegal to kick the backside of a cow with your left boot whilst standing in the 18 yard box".

Yes he did, the ref booked him right in front of where I sit, just about summed it up because I thought the ref was absolute rubbish, he was fussy in the extreme and made so many bad decisions. I know there may well be some stupid rule about goal celebrations but it was so unnecessary. I felt pleased for the lad I know these guys get paid bucket loads of money compared to the majority of us but this must have been quite a moment for him. Also I think we all probably instinctively felt at the time that we would not get anymore goals and it was possibly going to be the match winner, which indeed it turned out to be. Really do think it is time some of these referees were got rid of they ruin games in my view.

i saw someone got booked looked more llike cureton from where i was but loads of people where in the way so i couldnt see the celebrations anyway lol

He did get booked for ''over celebrating'' (n and p, jarrold booed the decision) Booking Dave summed up the refs performance for me. The lad has been ill/unfit since arriving and has found it hard to settle in, so when he scored it was obvious he was happy. PLAYERS SHOULD NOT GET BOOKED FOR CELEBRATING  GOALS rant over

why slate the ref for something out of his hands?  i am a ref and it is a ridiculous rule but the laws have to be applied.  if he didnt book strihavka then he would be done by the assessor and be penalised.  all these stupid laws are made by FIFA and apply at all levels.  i reffed on wednesday and had no option but to red card the keeper in the 94th minute for handling outside the box. i had to because i tried to use common sense before in the same situation and gave a yellow and was slated by the local fa assessor and marked down for it.  it is all too easy to blame the officials for everything but the players are made aware of these laws like going to the crowd, taking shirts off etc yet still persist with doing it. they are to blame not the refs

Although the refs hands are tied, it is a nonsense.

Player tries to take someones leg off yellow card

Take your shirt off or ''overcelebrate'' yellow card the two are not even comparable

Yes he did totally ridiculous!

If a player celebrates by inciting the opposing supporters then fine book him but celebrating with your own fans - NO!

The reason why we all go to football, companies sponsor football clubs and TV companies invest a lot of money into football is cause of the passion. Take that away and footballl would struggle.

Obviously scoring your first goal for your new club after a difficult start as Strihavka did yesterday is going to mean a sudden burst of positive emotion/passion.

The absolute bollocks of this ruling was sumed up perfectly when Freedman kicked (I thought he knew what he was doing) Marshall in the head in front of the Barclay when the ball wasn''t there to be won as Marshall had the ball held with both hands and din''t get booked and the ref ended up lecturing Marshall for reacting to the challenge!

Baldy boy is right to an extent, you can''t blame the ref for the rules - but there is always scope for interpretation/leeway;  I''m not one to blame refs too much as they have what is often a pretty thankless task, but from what I''ve seen of him Probert doesn''t seem to be a great ref and this was another poor decision:  Dave the Striker didn''t ''over-celebrate'' any more than Cureton did for either of his goals vs Saints (indeed, imo he celebrated ''less'') yet Curo wasn''t booked on either occasion.

Whilst I agree with Baldyboy regarding the rules I find it stunning that a player can be booked for "over celebrating" but only get a talking to for deliberately and intentionally trying to injure another player and would be interested what the rules say about that (I am talking of the incident where Freedman left his foot in way after Marshall had gathered the ball). Yes refs have a hard job but Probert is just plain incompetent, and it works both ways he missed a blatant hand ball by the Doc in the 2nd half.

get booked for doing celebration, but you trip someone up on counter attack to certain goal chance n same consquence! just doesnt add up to me n shows that the fa are to ficial!

if every foul was on level getting booked as this then we would be 4 v 4 every week! makes me more sick when someone is already booked n scores n gets sent off like ross wallace for sunderland last year when he jumped into the crowd!

appalling rule n must be changed

I didn''t see this, what exactly did he do to get this booking? The only lines in the sand regarding this as far as i''m aware are jumping in the crowd and taking your shirt off. He didn''t do either of these things from what i saw...

Not according to BBC Sport or the reliable EPSN soccernet website, they show no bookings for us.

Yes but book the ref instead .... it was a normal celebration with a few supporters in the front ... didn''t take long at all ... this is a referee who has no feelings for the game  .... he can''t understand someone is happy that he has just scored ... and the ref only thinks about his rule book ... his rule book ... his rule book ...

Same happened to Darren Huckerby last season v Leeds ... also seen as overcelebrating ... now they are not pulling their shirts off anymore ... and still the refs find a way to give celebrating players a yellow card ...  to celebrate a goal is where it''s all about ... people want to see goals .. and celebration ... so ..

Most referees don''t seem human anymore like referees Joe Worrall and Keith Hackett in the past .... 

as i said earlier, there are many poor laws and this is one but why continually blame the ref?  nobody has said he was wrong NOT to penalise Doherty for grabbing Dickov round the throat, have they?  i accept i thought the officials didnt have the best game on saturday but they are easy targets when things like this happen. also hemissed a handball in the box, and a wrestling match with strihavka on the near post but because those decisions went in citys favour its not mentioned.  it gives us all something to debate when they get decisions supposedly wrong but they get very little credit when they get big decisions right.  it is one of the hardest things to do even at local level where i ref so i dread to think what it is like for these guys with the crowds baying for thir blood all the time