Sign in to follow this  
TwoSheds

5th lowest scorers in the league,but?

So after just a handful of games we are the 5th lowest goals scored in this league.....but joint 3rd least conceded.

Is this going to be a trend for the rest of the season?

What would you prefer,lots of goals scored and conceded or low goals scored and fewer conceded?

Means nout, wolves were team least conceded till october last year, n look at our rocky defence, means nout after 5-6games

but you can tend to tell how it could go though

I think we''ll have a better idea of how good we are defensively at the end of this week.  If we''ve gained another 2 or 3 points, and not let too many in, then I think we can consider ourselves competitive.Low scoring games didn''t do Derby any harm last season - although would you want to win promotion the way they did ?  I''m thinking of their time-wasting antics at our gaffe last season.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]I think we''ll have a better idea of how good we are defensively at the end of this week.  If we''ve gained another 2 or 3 points, and not let too many in, then I think we can consider ourselves competitive.

Low scoring games didn''t do Derby any harm last season - although would you want to win promotion the way they did ?  I''m thinking of their time-wasting antics at our gaffe last season.
[/quote]

If we won promotion in a similar manner to Derby I would guarantee that not one supporter would complain.

One of the sure ways to ensure you are in and around the top 6 is to concede less than a goal a game. For all our moaning and gnashing of teeth about the failure to sign a centre back we have only let in a goal a game. However, it is only 5 games if we get to Xmas with a similar or better goals conceded per game ratio then I will be delighted.

[quote user="Stevie Wonder"]One of the sure ways to ensure you are in and around the top 6 is to concede less than a goal a game. For all our moaning and gnashing of teeth about the failure to sign a centre back we have only let in a goal a game. However, it is only 5 games if we get to Xmas with a similar or better goals conceded per game ratio then I will be delighted.[/quote]

It is early days but the signs are good defensively. We defend as a team this season, from the front if you like, and that''s why Chris Brown has been so important to us even though he hasn''t scored a goal. All our games so far have been tight... 0-0, 2-1, 1-2, 1-2, 1-0.. all settled by the odd goal but only 5 scored and 5 conceded. Worthy''s teams had a much less disciplined approach which made for better entertaiment when we won but more often despair when we lost. Last season after the first 5 games we had scored 10 goals and conceded 4. However over the next 5 games we scored 5 and conceded 14. It was this inconsistency of results that did for him. We will lose games in this league, all teams do, but it will be a good sign if we don''t lose many games by more than the odd goal.

A mean defence doesn''t guarantee success though. Last season Stoke conceded fewest goals (41) and they finished outside the play offs but the only other side to concede less that a goal a game was Birmingham (42). Interestingly no side scored fewer than Leeds who scored 46 goals, a goal a game. So we do need to score more but lets hope we have cut out those swings of form. The next 5 games will tell us much more, it would be nice to win them all but if we lose a couple but only by the odd goal then I will believe a corner has been turned.

Goals conceded is a low figure, but we have played some fairly poor teams up to now - Palace, Cardiff and Hull had all performed poorly before meeting us! The big test for the defence, with or without Shackell, will be the two games this week. If we concede fewer than three goals all week, then we could hand out some plaudits.Goals scored is more worrying - apart from in the Barnet game we have struggled to convert chances, and Dion is equal top scorer despite playing nearly half the games in defence. Curo will come good, as will Rusty, but we are going to need goals from Hux and Dave, and from the midfield and defenders. I think and hope that we shall see a contribution from the two last, and surely Dave must play against Charlton from the start.

I think I''m right in saying that Derby only scored two more goals than us last season so I think it''s fairly clear that their strengths lay elsewhere.

I''m probably in a minority of one here but I''d hate to see us play the same style as Derby played last year even if it got us promoted. That type of negative football is a blight on the game at present and has been ever since Greece won the last European Championship. The more teams that gain success that way, the more teams copy them and the more boring the game becomes. For me football''s about entertainment as well as success and I''d rather Norwich were renowned for playing fantastic football rather than scraping into The Premiership playing negative hoofball.

Of course it is possible to be solid at the back and still play attractive football. We did it in our last promotion season and we may do it again once Smith and Fozzy return.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Couldnt care less what we do as long as we win games.[/quote]

spot on, i could quite happily take 30 1-0 wins if it secures promotion

[quote]As long as we score more then we let in from now on i''ll be happy![:D][/quote]I with this thought - if we score more than we conceed I''ll be happy.  Even if we end up near the relegation zone (not in it)  I would also be confused in the second case.