Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

Otsemebor could be used in midfield

Having watched Otsemebor a few times now perhaps he could play right midfield.  He certainly proved yesterday that he has the pace to get past defenders easily and his crossing has improved.  Croft and Chadwick have been tried on the right, but I am not convinced either of them can take on and leave opponents flat footed the way Otsemebor does.  I know he can be caught out getting back, but if he had a right back playing behind him this wouldn''t be an issue, and we would have the added bonus of him getting back to help out the defence.

This would obviously raise the question of who to put at right back and I would like to see one of the youngsters given a chance such as Cave-Brown, Spillane or Rossi Jarvis.

[quote user="Bucketman"]

Hmm maybe with our current defensive frailties we should play 5-3-2 with really attacking wing backs

[/quote]As in:               Marshall        Doc Dion ShackellOtsemobor                Lappin             Rusell  Brellier                Huckerby            Dave  Curetoncould work. Dunno if changing system would be a good idea as it would cause confusion, probably at the back.

[quote user="7rew"][quote user="Bucketman"]

Hmm maybe with our current defensive frailties we should play 5-3-2 with really attacking wing backs

[/quote]

As in:

Marshall
        Doc Dion Shackell
Otsemobor                Lappin
             Rusell  Brellier
                Huckerby
            Dave  Cureton

could work. Dunno if changing system would be a good idea as it would cause confusion, probably at the back.
[/quote]

I think that this could be a really good way of playing all our best players in a coherent formation. I think that Otsemobor and Lappin both seem ideally suited to this role and Brellier would be able to cover at the back when necessary - seems his natural game. Think it might keep us solid defensively whilst still having the creativity going forward - both of which qualities seem to have been mutually exclusive to us so far this season. As 7rew says, it might cause confusion, but it does seem to be a good way of accomodating our best players, all playing to their strengths.    

[/quote]

As in:

Marshall
        Doc Dion Shackell
             Rusell  Brellier
                Huckerby
            Dave  Cureton

could work. Dunno if changing system would be a good idea as it would cause confusion, probably at the back.
[/quote]

Funnily enough I had that sort of idea as well, with those exact same players. You would have Hucks leaning towards the left, and Russell out a bit towards the right. Then Jimmy Smith could come in and replace Brellier to give us some extra attacking muscle at home. Not sure how it would work, would be interesting though!

I said this and posted this a few weeks ago(27/08).  Its good to see quite a few people thinking the same thing now. He has great pace, can beat players and more importantly plays and looks like a right winger.  He does like to get forward but is limited playing right back because of his defensive duties.  Croft and chadwick are not doing anything good attacking wise so why not?

[/quote]

As in:

Marshall
        Doc Dion Shackell
             Rusell  Brellier
                Huckerby
            Dave  Cureton

[/quote]

I must admit that does look very good. I would love to see Hucks in a "free" role, popping up all over the place and confusing the hell out of the oppo.

In an emergency I''m sure he could do a good job in midfield.  However the reasons he is so effective is the way he runs on past the right midfielder, for the most part unmarked.  Muchlike Ashly Cole really...   He will be best staying Right back, rather than possibly marked out of the game at Right Midfield.

So.... we have these options;

1) Good right midfielder, with great attacking right back.

2) Great attacking right back playing as a good midfielder, and a not-very good right back. With a good right midfielder on the bench.

Silly suggestion.

[quote user="ob1"]

2) Great attacking right back playing as a good midfielder, and a not-very good right back. With a good right midfielder on the bench.

Silly suggestion.

[/quote] Who is this good right midfielder and please don''t say Croft or Chadwick because that would be the silliest suggestion I have heard this year.

Just out of curiosity have you ever seen Cave-Brown, Rossi Jarvis or Spillane play because they can all play well at right back?

[quote user="silver fox"][quote user="ob1"]

Silly suggestion.

[/quote] Who is this good right midfielder and please don''t say Croft or Chadwick because that would be the silliest suggestion I have heard this year.

Just out of curiosity have you ever seen Cave-Brown, Rossi Jarvis or Spillane play because they can all play well at right back?

[/quote]Spot on and well said silver fox.

Right system but I would play Drury rather than Doc i.e

Marshall

Dion    Shacks   Drury

Semmy   Russell  Brelier   Lappin

Hux

Strihavka      Cureton

Drury has a bit more pace & mobility and with our centre backs as almost been a 3rd centre half the last 2/3 years!!

brilliant idea ... not.

every1 moans about not having a good enough defence. now you want to take our arguably best defender out and into midfield ... how stupid! and then some of you seem to be happy with 3 at the back ... woah that might help us defensively... genious! [^o)]

I don''t often read this board now, and this thread is one the reasons why. He''s an more than decent right back, has settled in well, beating defenders from deep positions with pure pace (not dribbling past them) is his strength and there''s some serious suggestions about moving him into midfield from some posters here. I''m stunned.

[quote user="ipswichrscum"]

brilliant idea ... not.

every1 moans about not having a good enough defence. now you want to take our arguably best defender out and into midfield ... how stupid! and then some of you seem to be happy with 3 at the back ... woah that might help us defensively... genious! [^o)]

[/quote] Sadly Ipswichscrum you and ob1 unfortunately don''t appear to be able to think outside the box.  I rate Otsemebor but I don''t think he is arguably our best defender when we have Dublin, Shackell and Drury.  As I have mentioned before Cave-Brown, Jarvis and Spillane can all play right back and do a good job there. 

Just out of curiosity have you seen the way Otsemebor leaves opponents standing?  We need to utilise this to our best advantage.  If we play Chadwick or Croft on the right they are not the best at coming back to help Otsemebor, whereas Otsemebor having played full back, and also being fitter, can get back and help out.

Where would we have been had we left Chris Sutton as a centre half and not moved him up to centre forward?  It didn''t take a genious to work out that he was a top striker.  In the current team Dublin would prefer to play up front, but personally I think he does a much better job for us in the middle of the defence.

Try and have a bit of imagination and you might surprise yourself.

I dont think Otsembor could play as a right sided midfielder.

He looks a bit edgy with the ball at his feet and confronted by opposition players.

His greatest ability going forward is his off the ball running. He can pull opposition defenders out of position with his pace. The two brilliant through balls Chadwick did on sat should have led to two assists for Otsembor as he got across from the right so fast.

He is also what we need at the back, we can handle the big slower paced players but if we face an attack with pace the doc, dublin and shacks are all in trouble. . . Otsembor is the key.

What drivel.  thinking outside the box is moving players outside of their natural positions that they are doing ok in is it?  Thank god you are not our manager - Mr Worthington.   He can still leave opponents standing, overlap and cross from right back with his pace so why change the team.. Some of you people really make me wonder about what you watch on a Saturday.  Just because Sutton proved an exception it does not mean you can change years of natural development and training on a whim that he might skin a few people.

Get real.

[quote user="silver fox"][quote user="ipswichrscum"]

brilliant idea ... not.

[/quote] Sadly Ipswichscrum you and ob1 unfortunately don''t appear to be able to think outside the box.  I rate Otsemebor but I don''t think he is arguably our best defender when we have Dublin, Shackell and Drury.  As I have mentioned before Cave-Brown, Jarvis and Spillane can all play right back and do a good job there. 

Just out of curiosity have you seen the way Otsemebor leaves opponents standing?  We need to utilise this to our best advantage.  If we play Chadwick or Croft on the right they are not the best at coming back to help Otsemebor, whereas Otsemebor having played full back, and also being fitter, can get back and help out.

Where would we have been had we left Chris Sutton as a centre half and not moved him up to centre forward?  It didn''t take a genious to work out that he was a top striker.  In the current team Dublin would prefer to play up front, but personally I think he does a much better job for us in the middle of the defence.

[/quote]

Problem with playing wingbacks is that they get doubled up on unless they are given lots of support from the three central midfielders and the midfielders get over run unless they all round around endlessly. Russell and Brellier will probably do this but Hucks won''t even begin to do any of that. Personally I like Semmy as an extra threat, we have a right winger who will be taking them on (Croft) and with Semmy overlapping he provides an extra attacking option that they don''t usually have against them.

In theory it''s a good idea but lets face it Norwich can''t get 4-4-2 right so I think this might not work too well.

[quote user="JC"]

What drivel.  thinking outside the box is moving players outside of their natural positions that they are doing ok in is it?  Thank god you are not our manager - Mr Worthington.   He can still leave opponents standing, overlap and cross from right back with his pace so why change the team.. Some of you people really make me wonder about what you watch on a Saturday.  Just because Sutton proved an exception it does not mean you can change years of natural development and training on a whim that he might skin a few people.

Get real.  JC  you have just confirmed what I said all along that you are incapable of thinking outside the box.  Just because Otsemebor is currently playing right back doesn''t mean he has to stay there forever.  My original post suggested he could be moved further upfield with a right back playing behind him.  Funny enough but Spillane also likes to push forward and is also a decent defender, as is Cave-Brown. Gareth Barry started off as a left back and he is now playing in midfield for England, and judging by the comments after that match last week he was outstanding.  The problem is that people like you would say he is a full back and that is where he should play.  If I looked hard enough I could probably find other examples of players who have been tried in a different position and have looked better players for it. We have a similar situation on the left side where Lappin is better in midfield than at left back. 

In reality I would suggest that any team managed by me would probably be slightly more adventurous than one managed by you.  Call it drivel or whatever but at least there are some posters on here who can see the potential in moving Otsemebor further upfield and don''t just dismiss it out of hand like yourself.

[quote user="silver fox"][quote user="ipswichrscum"]

brilliant idea ... not.

[/quote][/quote]

[quote user="JC"]

[/quote]

Not as much imagination as Worthingtwot and Simon Charlton at Left Wing!