Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Will Grant choose youth?

With the injuries mounting up virtually by the day.  And Grant only hinting at possible loans coming in in September.  Will Peter look to any of our youth players?

Can any of them make the step up?  Even if just for a handful of games or places on the bench.  I know there is some talent in the youth team and sometimes the young fearless player can be just the breath of fresh air you need.

Will Grant be forced to use any of the younger players, even if just for a place on the bench?  Perhaps coming on for the last 10 minutes to inject some pace into the team.

Personally I think there may be a possibility but only because of the injuries in midfield.  However, I get the impression Grant prefers age over youth, even if the older player isn''t good enough. 

Who knows there may be another gem in there somewhere (memories of 80''s and early 90''s youth players making the grade).

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Spillane is the obvious one I guess, I''d expect to see him played at some point soon.[/quote]

That is what I thought when Shackell was playing well in the reserves but Worthy insisted on playing Fleming and Doherty and it was months before Shackell got a chance.  I hope Grant is not going to fall into that trap as he has two promising defenders in Spillane and Halliday.

I just hope we aren''t toothless.............and youth-less.

I''d most certainly prefer a young, fit and exuberant unproven fringe player in the squad - than some out of sorts "I''ve got man-flu Mr Grant, and it can be really fatal if I don''t receive immediate lockets (cherry menthol), vic''s medi-night, a regular dosage of life-saving beecham''s powder and a truly necessary clean hankie....''sniff, sniff''... But, I''ll be mummy''s little soldier - and limp on and drag myself  around the pitch as if I''m auditioning as a ''casualty of war extra'' in a remake of the ''Longest Day''......and as I''m a commited to the cause true pro''....." "ATCHOOOOO!" "Oops! Sorry boss, do you want me to wipe that snail-trail off your training top?"

I personally don''t think Eagle or Ryan Jarvis are good enough (I know Jarvis is on loan) so I hop Eagle doesn''t play. There is no point in playing Martin on either wing as he has done in recent months. I still have hope for Rossi Jarvis & Spilaine so wouldn''t mind them being given a shot.

lets hope so, it worked for the scum last year so its bout time spillane, halliday, rossi jarvis and one or to others a decent run in the team to see wether they can make it, and as we no that when u watch norwich and u hav some younger guys playing it gives u a buzz and belief that one day they might get us back up top again challenging for promotion , come on grant give these guys a fair crack unlike worthy ,... they are the future as we clearly cant compete when it comes to buying players at the moment.   

He seems to be scared to play any of the youngsters. He''s already proved that with his farcical team selections at Rochdale. Why on earth Hucks had to play for 120 minutes at Rochdale, only he knows. He should have tried several of his squad players at Rochdale, I''m sure they would have played no worse than some of the crocks and those pulled away from their sick beds did. I used to like Grant, but I am rapidly losing faith with him with each bizarre and illogical decision he makes. Reading between the lines of his comments about today''s game in the EDP, it sounds like he is extremely reluctant to make changes unlesss he is really forced to do so. Is he Worthy in disguise?

JaundicedJockGeorgy, I totally agree.  Why play ill players away at Rochdale in the league cup, when there are several youth players who could be no worse, and probably better than semi-fit ''first teamers''?

I do get the impression Grant is either scared or extremely hesitant to try any young player, and I am not just talking about players from the youth squad, even those on the fringe of the first team.  I think he would rather farm them out for 3 seasons gaining first team experience and play ill, below par or poor quality more experienced players.

Without criticising any body at the club, I do feel that with our start to the season, now is the time to give some of these lads a chance.  I am not saying start them, perhaps Martin could start some games, but a place on the bench bring them on for 10 minutes and introduce them gradually I am sure a couple of them have enough about them to do well.

To finish, after our start to the season Peter, give some of these lads a place on the bench and give them some minutes on the pitch.  Yes they may make a mistake, they may also play well, I for one won''t be on your back however for bringing some of the younger lads in and I am sure others won''t to.  If now is not the right time, when is?  Will their ever be a right time in your eyes?  They have to gain their experience at some point otherwise they never will.

OTBC

Spot on. I still remember the second last game of the season when we prepare to play SCUM, Grant sweat on the fitness on injured trio Lappin and Fotheringham also Earnie I recalled, instead of give the chance to Spillane, Renton and Cave-Brown who performed quite well in several position before, who is very disappointed.

Grant always moaned the reserve league standard was poor, but if he did not field the kids to play in several position in the first team, you will never know how good they are. Don''t forget the Sutton, Eadie and Bellamy case, we sell them and get good money back, which can easily improve our finance too.