Sign in to follow this  
Trent Canary

Player ratings - Cardiff

A long season ahead...

Marshall - 7 - Made some good saves, could have done more on the first goal though.

Drury - 6 - Average. Same old Drury.

Dublin - 7 - Won everything in the air, and showed composure on the ball. Wasnt tight enough on the strikers on occasions.

Doc - 5 - LOst his attacker for the first goal. Should have done better with chances in the box, especially a free header in the 2nd half.

Otsemobor - 8 - Attacked well, we looked dangerous whenever we counter-attacked down the right. Defender well too. MOM.

Brellier - 6 - Lots of running, not much quality right now. Did hassle cardiff well.

Russell - 6 - Lots of effort, not much quality again.

Lappin - 6 - Looked pretty good. Cracking left foot on him, well taken goal. If we had a big man in the box it might help so that Lappin has someone to aim for.

Chadwick - 4 - Thought he was terrible. Seemed lost whenever he was on the ball. Looked very unfit as well.

Brown - 6 - As discussed on radio norfolk, seems to be most involved with his back to goal. I want him running into the box, especially if his flicks arent creating anything.

Cureton - 6 - You know what you will get with Jamie. Supply him and he will score. Dont supply him and he will be anonymous. It was the latter today.

SUBS

No time to make an impact, why didnt huckerby start? Especially with a two week break?

CROWD

Dead. Outsung with ease by the vocal cardiff fans. How things change.

Marshall 6 - A couple of very good saves but his kicking at times looked suspect

Drury 5 - anonymous for most of the game half and struggled with sinclair later on in the game

Doc 6 - Was better in defence than some might give him credit even though he dealt with hasslebaink well he is far too error prone and should stand on the half way line back for attacking corners

Dublin 8 MOM - as good at winning the ball in the air as anyone I have ever seen , hoofed the ball a bit too often but is a class apart in this league

Ostembor 7 - was excellent for the first twenty minutes and always looking to probe and pester , as Norwich fell away he became more anonymous but handled his opposing number with ease

Lappin 6 - Looks a bit lightweight to me , doesnt really ever look to get behind his man , he has a quality left foot but not much fire in his belly

Russell 5 - bit of an Andy Hughes impression today , both him and breiller contained Cardiff well in the first half but neither did much with the ball

Breiller 5 - anonymous really, likes to get stuck in and stop teams but doesnt offer much in posession

Chadwick 6 - played well early on but didn''t get much posession when the team decided to hoof the ball up the pitch, injuries have taken away any pace he did have but he''s very neat on the ball , linked up with ostembor well

Brown 6.5 - war horse , when Norwich were punting it up the pitch he chased everything down and slung his head about as if he has one spare.

Cureton 6 - hardly saw the ball , got into some good positions but was starved today

Subs

Huckerby - tried to get but it was too late into the game

Croft - anonymous

Peter Grant - not impressed, 1-0 up after twenty minutes and suddenly the team drop deep and start punting the ball up the pitch. Huckerby should have came on earlier and second substitution was uninspired.

No creativity and no ideas from midfield, over reliance on a hoof from the back with Dion leading that particular charge.  City edged the first half but only had one effort on goal while cardiff did the only thing they could do and improved in the second;  two average teams and neither really merited 3 points. We have to push forward more - the sooner smith and hux are fit the better;  we might look like scoring then.

Marshall 6 - didnt have much to do;  suspicion could have done better for both goals

Ostembor 5 - very weak defensively, uncommitted in the challenge too often,   looked good going forward but not often enough

Drury  6 - didnt give sinclair much room

Dublin 7 - very comfortable day, shocking distribution, as much to blame for the goals as doc 

Doc 7 - very comfortable day,  shocking distribution, as much to blame for the goals as dion

Brellier - 5 Off the pace,  where was the tackling, the passing?  Closed down space well but is that enough?

Rusty - 6 Got forward in support too infrequently, harried well but didnt win possession enough to make up for the woeful passing

Chadwick 6 - As anonymous in the second as he was vibrant in the first.

Lappin 6 - took goal well and put in a series of identikit free kick which soon became too easy to defend, faded second half

Brown 7 - My MOTM;  won an enormous amount in the air and lined play up well;  very reminiscent of Iwan;   however was not given a decent cross to attack in the penalty area and was forced to work from 25 yards plus out;   few will score from there with hoofed servcie from deep and back to goal.  

Cureton 5 - was he on the pitch, too lightweight and not reading Brown efforts at all.

Hux  6 - dangerous when he had the ball - but we didnt give him the ball enough.  

[quote user="Trent Canary"]

Chadwick - 4 - Thought he was terrible. Seemed lost whenever he was on the ball. Looked very unfit as well.

[/quote]

Did Crofty have a knock or something? I couldn''t understand why Chadwick started ahead of him. Crofty has looked very bright this season and there''s definitely the potential for a very dangerous partnership forming with Semmy.

Chadwick spent most of his time drifting infield and left out right side badly exposed. Most of their dangerous moments in the first half came from them attacking down their left where Chadwick had left a massive hole.

And in the 2nd half Chadwick broke and although he was only just past the halfway line he only had 1 player between him and goal but instead of taking that man on he tried to hang back and wait for others. If that was Crofty he''d have taken him on and really given Cardiff something to worry about.

Ineresting would agree to some exetent

Marshall yes I think 7

Drury agree 6 very average

Dublin I thought 8 the only class player on the entire pitch.

Doc 6 I thought possibly one of his better games but he still has to go, too much of a liability.

Ostemobor I would only give him 6 I totally disagree about him defensively he was awful today was never near his man and was tooo slow on more than one occasion to snuff out any trouble.

Brellier 5 a lot of effort but totally lacking in any class or vision doesn''t even do the basics well at times.

Russell sorry, 5 also did not like him first time around at Carrow Road didn''t think he was good enough and my opinion has not changed, huffs and puffs has terrific workrate but no end product, waste of time.

Chadwick 6 not too bad a game but again not much end product.

Lappin 5 thought his distribution poor at times and he still looks too lightweight for this league.

Brown 5 works hard but I don''t think he will ever score somehow therefore not much point in playing him don''t think he is that good in the air for a big bloke.

Cureton 5 same as above will only get goals if he gets service, which he didn''t.

Hux 5 did worry them a bit

Croft can''t really score him not enough time.

Grant 3 in my view I just think this guy is a nice chap a very honest individual but just think we needed to get an experienced manager in not take a chance on someone untried. We could easily get relegated waiting for him to learn his trade and frankly I see very little evidence of imrovement certainly in terms of results, we leak goals too easily. Can''t believe that he could not get a central defnder in seems determined that Doherty is going to eventually be as good as John Terry, it ain''t gonna happen. Should have played Hux from the start in my view

Marshall 6 - nothing special, didnt command his area.

Ostembor 6 - good going forward in the first half, but looked very week defensively

Drury  6 - did ok

Dublin 7 - looked solid at the back  , he and Doc kept Fowler and JFH out of the game

Doc 7 - defended well but why bother putting him up front at corners when he just cannot hit the target.

Brellier - 6 really didnt see much of him...

Rusty - 6 poor passing, balls seemed to bounce off him

Chadwick 6 - Let himself get knocked off the ball far too easily at times.

Lappin 6 -good on free kicks and a good finish

Brown 6 - worked hard but he is a bit crap really.

Cureton 5 - barely involved at all.

subs:

Hux  6 - looked back to his best for 5 minutes, then never got the ball.  

Croft - 5 looked poor in central midfield?

--------------------------------------------------------

Grant - 4 starting formation looked decent, but his substitutions and tactical changes were awful

Well, I actually thought Chadwick played ok today, as soon as he went off, the whole midfield looked out of shape and devoid of ideas, he may look like bambi on ice but I thought he played well and defended well too. Also I thought Doc played ok untill the lapses by ALL THE TEAM on the corners, you could see Marshall shouting and every one looked scared and this is stuff that the team as a unit need to sort out, I for one minute do not think that Grant is to blame, are you telling me that he would not have told people waht to do etc? off course he would and if you listen to Dubs, he says that the team need to listen to the coaching staff more. Our big problem was not creating enough for the strikers and 2 stupid lapses, Brown does a hell of a lot of work for the team, midfiled looked solid but not creative, defence was looking in control, Dubs immense.

Yes we lost, yes there is not a million positives, yes we are near the bottom but we will get it right I feel, there was a lot of good play that at times Cardif could not contain and the crossing was good from my angle in the Barclay end.

Please don''t get to down and depressed we will get it right and soon.

Marshall 6 couple good takes, still let in 2 though

Ostemobor 5 defensively poor, couple good runs     

Drury 5 trevor sinclair outplayed him, didnt win enough 50:50s

Dublin 9 was fantastic, looked a different class today

Doc 6 good 1st half, couple worrying moments 2nd half

Brellier  6 average, didnt get involved much

Russell 8 played out of his skin, good tackling, went foward alot looked determined

Chadwick 4 poor, never once beat his man, lacked any kind of creativity, wasted time on counter attacks by holding up the ball too much

Lappin 5 gifted a goal almost, quiet for the rest of the game, played out of position when hucks came on, didnt look comfortable

Brown 4 didnt go up for hardly anything in the air, didnt play much on for cureton, dosnt deserve to start next game

Cureton 5 some good movements off the ball, heavily marked, under serviced and when he was played the ball he went the wrong side of defenders but there''s an element to luck with that.

hucks 5 looked good  at 1st, beat his man a few times, didnt look 100% sharp, his presence went uknown for the last 10 mins thoughcroft 5 didnt notice much from him

Just to let you guys know we''re looking for Player Ratings on JLWB (www.justlikewatchingbrazil.co.uk) for each game which are totalled up 24 hours after each match and added to a league table for our squad. Check it out. *shameless plug, sorry*

[quote user="lobster catcher"]Brown 6 what game were you at,chadwick 4 more like 2,and we must not forget mr peter grants tactics for the second half -10[/quote]

I dont know lobster, why dont you enlighten me? Having seen other peoples ratings people have given Brown higher and lower marks than myself, so would be good to know whether my judgement is poor because he played better than 6 or worse than a 6?

Loads of differing opinions all over this board tonight. It''s funny how we can all go to the same game and see so many different ones. Opinions on Brown range from him not winning anything to him winning everything, but like with Doherty I think we see what we want to see at times. On my way out of the ground I heard someone say Brown was a non-entity as a target man and yet I thought he had a reasonable game and I bet he is a nightmare to defend against but I agree that he needs to score some goals.

For me we played well in the first half and were comfortable but we needed the second goal when we were on top. The shape of the side was good first half but I felt we lost something when the substitutions were made. I would have changed Cureton for Hucks and Croft for Chadwick and even Martin for Brown leaving Lappin on the left and the shape of the side the same. I don''t think Lappin is nearly as effective moved inside. But I don''t know if injuries dictated any of the changes that were made. With Huckerby up front he can still cause havoc on the left and right, more so really because he would be dragging there central defenders all over the place. We would just have to rely on other players to get in the spaces this creates.

The result was disappointing but there were bright spots in the performance not least the way the midfield scrap and cover and look after eachother. The challenge for Peter Grant is to turn this collection of players into a team and I can see signs of it happening. 

My ratings before the changes :-

Marshall 7, Otsemeobor 5, Doherty 6, Dublin 7, Drury 6, Brellier 6, Russell 7, Chadwick 6, Lappin 7, Brown 7, Cureton 5

It was hard to pick a MOM because Marshall, Dublin, Russell, Lappin and Brown all did well in what was for an hour a good team performance. If only we could start like today and finish like the Southampton game.

chadwick was poor today, he is a winger so should stay wide, on so many occassions he left otsemobor exposed and forced brellier to cover him(did a good job defensively today)

Marshall 6 - could have done better with first goal but good otherwise

Ostembor 6-not in the game to much, dome of his balls where ok, but did not defend with the passion he attacks with

Drury  7- his best game for a long while,i thought he made somee good challenges and made life hard

Dublin 8-MOM- he won most of the balls near im, mabey should have passed instead of lumping the ball down the pitch but a exillent senior apperance

Doc 6- looked ok next to dub

Brellier - 7 got alot better in first half and i think people did not notice him, but i put my self out to watch him and he got stcuk in a bit more

Russell - 6- bad passing, not chasing as much as in friendlies, but still put his foot in and had a couple of good ideas

Chadwick -5- did nothing when he had the ball imo

Lappin -6- well taken goal, but didnt get in the game too much

Brown-4- im sorry but he was poor, if he one the ball he would head it out or fall over, he had a couple of scoreing oppoirtunites did not take them so poor

Cureton -6- not much to do, he used his head to get into goalscoreing places, but the ball did not follow

subs:

Hux -6- came on and looked good

Croft -6- not tooo much but didnt do anything wrong

GRANT-1- does not know what tacticsa are, or how to depploy them, it was obious what cardiff did, they let us attack, put pressure then play quick counter attack and used there strong piont TREVOR SINCLAIR, what did we do? kick the ball to brown who fell over

Marshall - 7 - Made some good saves, could have done more on the first goal though.

Drury - 6 - Average. Same old Drury.

Dublin - 7 - Won everything in the air, and showed composure on the ball. Wasnt tight enough on the strikers on occasions.

Doc - 1 - we want doherty out

Otsemobor - 8 - he a class signing good the right and good pace he will be in the premiership soon

Brellier - 6 - Lots of running, not much quality right now. Did hassle cardiff well.

Russell - 6 - Lots of effort, not much quality again.

Lappin -8- he was excellent wot a goal

Chadwick - 6 - i dont think he had bad game but he think he can take everyone on.

Brown - 4 - he was bloody awful i know hes a target man but he does score a few goals dont he?.

cureton -7- played alright.

INteresting that there is such a variance between Doc and Dion again;  both played well but passed poorly;  both were in the worng place for the first goal,  yet dion caused us most problems with 2 mistime defensive jumps where the ball skimmed off the top of his head,  once in the 3rd minuted and another later in the half.

Brown is hard to assess but he worked hard but without ever looking likely to score,  but then did he have a chance to actually miss?  He was far better than Cureton who was left to chase shadows all day.

The biggest positive is that we did play to a pattern and more importantly as a team; that I dont like the pattern may be a problem though!

Marshall 6 - some great shot-stopping, poor judgement in coming for crosses (e.g. first goal), probably should have saved the second goal. Kicking very suspect. Tried and failed to get a player on each post before the second goal, which needs sorting out by the coaches.Drury 7 - much better than for some time. Tackled, got forward,overlapped with LappinDion 8 MOM - so clever, even his kicking for touch was like Jonny Wilkinson, deep into Cardiff''s half to ease the pressure. Tired in the second half unsurprisingly. But was he responsible for their goals?Doc 7 - again, much better than for a while. It was great to see the "fat Eddie Murphy" whinging to the ref because he couldn''t win anything. Hasn''t learned to pass through midfield yet though, and probably shares the blame for Cardiff''s goals. He should have scored 3 or 4 goals this season already, and missed another easy chance yesterday.Otsemobor 8 - I don''t agree about him being poor defensively because I saw from close quarters him make several excellent tackles and blocks. And he knows what to do with the ball when he''s got it. PG''s best buy so far.Lappin 8 - I don''t think he looks lightweight, I think he looks skilful and committed. Great delivery from spot kicks. PG''s 2nd best buy. He must stay wide left though.Brellier 6 - Better than previous games, but nothing like the destroyer we''d expected.Russell 6 - poor touch and always strikes the ball off balance, just like before. Gave away possession far too much. Where''s the Stoke version of Rusty, did he leave it in the changing room when he left? Strong character though, and will never be bullied.Chadwick 6 - worked hard, but no flashes of the ability I think he has. Not a right winger though he seems to think he is. Tired badly - is "match fitness" a myth like Michael Owen thinks it is?Brown 8 - I like the bloke, he''s brave and hard-working, has a decent first touch, and disrupts opposing defences. IMO it''s not his fault that the partnership with Cureton isn''t developing. Should have scored in the second half, and I wish he had, for his confidence.Cureton 5 - seems too arrogant to work with Brown as a target man. Wake up Jamie.Huckerby 5 - pretty ineffectual. Dragged the team out of shape, and that may be.too high a price for his ability on the ball. Lappin wasn''t sure where he was playing after the sub, and we were left with no right wing until Croft (5) came on and made little impact.

Marshall 6 - Didn''t have much to do really. No real fault for either of the goals really.Drury 7.5 - Not quite an 8 as sometimes he was alcking defensiviely (i.e. not stopping enough crosses) but got forward well and pushed the whole cardiff left side backwards making sinclair play far to deep for someone of his threatDion 9 MOM - Don''t shoot me down. The difference is enormous! His leadership and intelligence just make our team look 1000 times more secure. He was wondeful today and out marked a very poor hasselbaink and frustrated fowler time and again when he had evaded the doc to find d-dub waiting for him. Was unfortunate to ''set up'' the first goal with the flick on. Wasn''t really at fault for the 2nd more the docs really. Good performance and shows he''s not past it.Doc 7 (5 after 60 minutes) - Was good for the vast majority of the game, and got conifdence from Dublin. He coped well with fowlers movement and followed him good even when he dropped off (which he did often). However when fowler came off and whittigham came on we saw doc at his less galant and made some errors that essentially cost us the game again. I''m afraid I can''t support him while he still makes these errors but had a better game. His distrobution is still AWFUL.Otsemobor

8 - Good performance again. Didn''t have much to do defensively due to the good work of both him and Chadwick. Got forward well again but you''d hope for some better crossing  PG''s best buy so far.Lappin 7.5 - Didn''t do loads really.... Shame, as he scored, and had wonderful corners and set pieces. Strange really but doesn''t have the edge that huckerby has and really we do lose out because of that. Maybe he can be converted to a LB for his sake because I can see him falling out of the team. But a good performance but i expect some more cutting edge.Brellier 5 - Average. Tackled some. Passed some. Not Safri, not the superb signing we hoped for. Cardiff didn''t get through him mind.Russell 7 - Fought hard, did runs, passes and all that he''s good for but is lacking something he did have before and at stoke. Maybe a goal is all that is needed but doesn''t have that swagger needed to help turn a match, which is what we desperately need.Chadwick (1st half 8, 2nd half 2) - Wonderful in the first half. Bascially stopped cardiff from creating anything and looked better than brellier by a mile. Maybe not a winger maybe he should play in the middle and show his credientials there. 2nd half though he was awful. don''t really need to elaborate as you all could see it.Brown 4 - Worked hard but made nothing today against a weak (and weakened) cardiff defence and no sign of ever scoring. His movement in the 2nd half was the stuff of nightmares and should have been subbed off.Cureton 5 - Ran and Ran and Ran but alas with brown up front go no service. Most of his service came from dub clearances, lappin and ostemobor. Needs a partner. Feel sorry for him and there was really nothing more he could do.Huckerby 8 -  Yes, a strange substitution by grant, brown was the obvious one to come off, but scared cardiff so much that they put 3 men on him.Created lots and looked very dangerous. Managed to do the defence 10 times in 5 minutes right infront of me, masterful I must say.Croft - Not enough time to have an effect on anything. Should have been on earlier for a poor chadwick.Grant 4 - Bad subs, tatics and all that jazz. Lost us the 2nd half.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

INteresting that there is such a variance between Doc and Dion again;  both played well but passed poorly;  both were in the worng place for the first goal,  yet dion caused us most problems with 2 mistime defensive jumps where the ball skimmed off the top of his head,  once in the 3rd minuted and another later in the half.

Brown is hard to assess but he worked hard but without ever looking likely to score,  but then did he have a chance to actually miss?  He was far better than Cureton who was left to chase shadows all day.

The biggest positive is that we did play to a pattern and more importantly as a team; that I dont like the pattern may be a problem though!

[/quote]

Agreed. The problem is with only getting the one chance to see a game things like movement and marking are tough to judge because without replays its tough to remember whats happened, especially when your at the game to cheer on norwich not to review it!

Having thought back I was a bit harsh on doc, looked after JFH well. So would give him a 6. Just a shame he couldnt bury any of his chances!

Also I agree with someone earlier, I dont think ive ever seen anyone win as many headers as Dion does.

[quote user="Old Boy"]
Brown 8 - I like the bloke, he''s brave and hard-working, has a decent first touch, and disrupts opposing defences. IMO it''s not his fault that the partnership with Cureton isn''t developing. Should have scored in the second half, and I wish he had, for his confidence.

Cureton 5 - seems too arrogant to work with Brown as a target man. Wake up Jamie.

[/quote]

I agree. Cureton has been so lazy since he''s been here. He chased the ball down a couple of times in the second half and one of the blokes commented about how he had run his socks off. Which he clearly hadn''t.

However, I suspect that Huckerby and Crofty both playing (from the start) will make Brown and Cureton look a lot better. If the manager has the sense to play them both that is.

Get Fozzie back (if his appearance against Southampton is anything to go by) and I think we''ll start looking pretty dangerous.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Old Boy"]Brown 8 - I like the bloke, he''s brave and hard-working, has a decent first touch, and disrupts opposing defences. IMO it''s not his fault that the partnership with Cureton isn''t developing. Should have scored in the second half, and I wish he had, for his confidence.Cureton 5 - seems too arrogant to work with Brown as a target man. Wake up Jamie.

[/quote]

I agree. Cureton has been so lazy since he''s been here. He chased the ball down a couple of times in the second half and one of the blokes commented about how he had run his socks off. Which he clearly hadn''t.

However, I suspect that Huckerby and Crofty both playing (from the start) will make Brown and Cureton look a lot better. If the manager has the sense to play them both that is.

Get Fozzie back (if his appearance against Southampton is anything to go by) and I think we''ll start looking pretty dangerous.

[/quote]Ok I see, cureton now has to be a target man, a channel runner, and a huckerby mould cutting in from the wings. What a joke. If Brown was so good why didn''t he score yesterday, there were plenty of great crosses and set pieces that a target man would eat up.Btw Cureton has scored 4, Brown has scored 0. Speaks volumes.Poor ol'' Cureton he bleeds yellow and green too.

[quote user="Fellas"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Old Boy"]
Brown 8 - I like the bloke, he''s brave and hard-working, has a decent first touch, and disrupts opposing defences. IMO it''s not his fault that the partnership with Cureton isn''t developing. Should have scored in the second half, and I wish he had, for his confidence.

Cureton 5 - seems too arrogant to work with Brown as a target man. Wake up Jamie.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ok I see, cureton now has to be a target man, a channel runner, and a huckerby mould cutting in from the wings. What a joke. If Brown was so good why didn''t he score yesterday, there were plenty of great crosses and set pieces that a target man would eat up.

Btw Cureton has scored 4, Brown has scored 0. Speaks volumes.

Poor ol'' Cureton he bleeds yellow and green too.
[/quote]

Ok, you''ve missed the point completely. But that''s probably cos you don''t understand the game very well..

So let me help you out a bit...

When you''re playing a strike partnership like Brown and Cureton it is vital that Cureton puts himself in a position where he can work off Brown. This means when Brown makes an effort to win the ball, which he frequently does, Cureton needs to be in a position where he can feed off a knock down or a flick. Basically he needs to give Brown a simple option or he needs to be taking a chance on where the ball is going to run.

Say for example the ball is coming towards Browns head with his back to goal and the best he can hope for is to flick it backwards off the top of his head... that''s where Cureton needs to be taking a gamble and running in behind Brown. But so far there isn''t enough of that happening.

Cureton has too infrequently put himself in a position to help Brown.

I can actually think of another example of where Cureton hasn''t helped out. Against Southampton we were trying to clear our lines at one point and the ball fell to Croft on the edge of the area. He didn''t really have anywhere to go and he was looking for Cureton who was a couple of yards up the pitch to help him out, but Cureton just stood there watching when really he needed to move himself and give Crofty somewhere to play the ball. That then resulted in Crofty being put under pressure and failing to clear the ball. Unsurprisingly there was a fair amount of noise in the crowd that suggested Crofty had made a hash of it, but what  too many people didn''t see was that really Cureton needed to help his team mate out.

Despite all this I still think Cureton will do well for Norwich but he needs to start working harder for the team. So far he''s probably contributing less than Earnie did, I wonder if he''ll get the same level of criticism for it that Earnie did...

Also...while I''m at it... you clearly don''t know what type of player Brown is. He is not the type of target man who plays in the 18 yard box and just waits to thump in headers. He''s the kind of player who drops off the frontline to win the ball and then play it out to his strike partner or the likes of Hucks and Crofty or other supporting midfielders.

Fellas, where were these quality crosses cos i didnt see many? i saw one from lappin in 2nd half to near post that NOBODY bothered attacking!!!

[quote user="GJP"]

Ok, you''ve missed the point completely. But that''s probably cos you don''t understand the game very well..

When you''re playing a strike partnership like Brown and Cureton it is vital that Cureton puts himself in a position where he can work off Brown. This means when Brown makes an effort to win the ball, which he frequently does, Cureton needs to be in a position where he can feed off a knock down or a flick. Basically he needs to give Brown a simple option or he needs to be taking a chance on where the ball is going to run.

Say for example the ball is coming towards Browns head with his back to goal and the best he can hope for is to flick it backwards off the top of his head... that''s where Cureton needs to be taking a gamble and running in behind Brown. But so far there isn''t enough of that happening.

I can actually think of another example of where Cureton hasn''t helped out. Against Southampton we were trying to clear our lines at one point and the ball fell to Croft on the edge of the area. He didn''t really have anywhere to go and he was looking for Cureton who was a couple of yards up the pitch to help him out, but Cureton just stood there watching when really he needed to move himself and give Crofty somewhere to play the ball. That then resulted in Crofty being put under pressure and failing to clear the ball. Unsurprisingly there was a fair amount of noise in the crowd that suggested Crofty had made a hash of it, but what  too many people didn''t see was that really Cureton needed to help his team mate out.

Despite all this I still think Cureton will do well for Norwich but he needs to start working harder for the team. So far he''s probably contributing less than Earnie did, I wonder if he''ll get the same level of criticism for it that Earnie did...

Also...while I''m at it... you clearly don''t know what type of player Brown is. He is not the type of target man who plays in the 18 yard box and just waits to thump in headers. He''s the kind of player who drops off the frontline to win the ball and then play it out to his strike partner or the likes of Hucks and Crofty or other supporting midfielders.

[/quote]

IMO no matter what type of striker you are you have to contribute more than the 5 or 6 Brown looks like he will score in a season.  His recent Championship form, post injury, is 4 goals in just over 40 games...

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

IMO no matter what type of striker you are you have to contribute more than the 5 or 6 Brown looks like he will score in a season.  His recent Championship form, post injury, is 4 goals in just over 40 games...

[/quote]

Well there is that to think about. Surely the manager knew Chris Brown wouldn''t bring bucket loads of goals when he signed him. But I think for what Chris Brown seems to be there to do...he''s doing it well.

And I do feel that if the manager played Hucks and Crofty and if we had the potentially dangerous Fotheringham back then there''s scope for City to be a real threat going forward. I think Brown could do a very good job of feeding the wingers, his strike partner and supporting midfielders.

Motm for me was brellier,he cut out everything in the first half,He then spent the second half covering for the very lightweight and easily tired chadwick.Having played football myself i know the difference between good and bad performances unlike alot of posters on here who don,t see the same game as me

Firstly. Brown did very little in the area and vitually nothing on the floor. Cureton did a lot of running and as I said and said correctly most of the balls he got were NOT from Brown as Brown didn''t do very many balls at all. Now I understand Cureton has to do runs, which he did actually do in the first half more often, but very rearly did he actually get the ball off Brown.Now, if brown was so good how come I can barely remember him laying the ball off. Now Ashton was a proper centre forward. He always was pushing ball around and heading down to peoples feet. I defended Brown after the Soton game as there were signs that he could do it and he was playing against a million pound man. However yesterday he was playing against a reservee for Cardiff. God knows how bad a game he would have had against Purse a seasoned defender.I know what type of player Brown is...I think, well he''s not really doing much. He''s not gonna score goals and thats what we need. We don''t need a nother Marc Libbra, works hard but never scores player.In the second half and generally a lot later hucks, lappin, drury and russell were putting some good crosses into the box and most often there was nobody there. We put on in on the floor and he messed up.He didn''t even feature at all at set pieces which implies that he isn''t as good in the area as doherty.... and so how the hell does he score goals?

Please also, this is supposed to be a message board were people voice their opinions, I voiced mine, it doesn''t mean im stupid or oblivious to football as you make out, no need for insults and really I don''t even know what your opinion is really. Do you love Brown? I don''t and would rather see the talented Martin upfront.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

No creativity and no ideas from midfield, over reliance on a hoof from the back with Dion leading that particular charge.  City edged the first half but only had one effort on goal while cardiff did the only thing they could do and improved in the second;  two average teams and neither really merited 3 points. We have to push forward more - the sooner smith and hux are fit the better;  we might look like scoring then.

Marshall 6 - didnt have much to do;  suspicion could have done better for both goals

Ostembor 5 - very weak defensively, uncommitted in the challenge too often,   looked good going forward but not often enough

Drury  6 - didnt give sinclair much room

Dublin 7 - very comfortable day, shocking distribution, as much to blame for the goals as doc 

Doc 7 - very comfortable day,  shocking distribution, as much to blame for the goals as dion

Brellier - 5 Off the pace,  where was the tackling, the passing?  Closed down space well but is that enough?

Rusty - 6 Got forward in support too infrequently, harried well but didnt win possession enough to make up for the woeful passing

Chadwick 6 - As anonymous in the second as he was vibrant in the first.

Lappin 6 - took goal well and put in a series of identikit free kick which soon became too easy to defend, faded second half

Brown 7 - My MOTM;  won an enormous amount in the air and lined play up well;  very reminiscent of Iwan;   however was not given a decent cross to attack in the penalty area and was forced to work from 25 yards plus out;   few will score from there with hoofed servcie from deep and back to goal.  

Cureton 5 - was he on the pitch, too lightweight and not reading Brown efforts at all.

Hux  6 - dangerous when he had the ball - but we didnt give him the ball enough.  

[/quote]

Maybe you should rename yourself ZippersRightFoot because I couldn''t disagree more with your assessment of our full-backs.Are you sure you know your right from left Stick out tongue [:P]

I think Otsemboor is our best right-back since Edworthy but you didn''t like him much either whilst Drury gave Sinclair so much space in the 2nd half it was unbelievable.

Marshall 6 - some good shot-stopping but think he could have done better with the goals (haven''t seen the replays though)

Otsemboor 7 - Good solid performance.

Dublin & Doherty 7 - Not the ideal partnership but didn''t let Fowler or Hasselbaink have a game.

Drury 5 - See above

Lappin 6 - Well taken goal but otherwise anonymous

Brellier 6 - An improvement but still not living up to the hype.

Russell 6- Battled well but some poor passing

Brown 8 - MotM but midfield need to keep up with play to benefit .

Chadwick 6 - Not afraid to run with the ball.......until he loses it.

Cureton 6 - Hardly involved.

Grant 5 - Stubborness was Worthy''s downfall. Everybody could see Huckerby was needed on the pitch why couldn''t you or perhaps you didn''t want to be seen to be succumbing to pressure from the stands.