Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Why do I feel betrayed this morning?

It may seem silly and predictable but thats my honest feeling today.

I mean, we have the best fans in the world, and our players flog their guts out for the club. Yet through all this, I really believed we would have signed a new centre half, because lets be honest here, we desperately need one!.

I really don''t want this post to degenerate into a ''hate the club'' type post, but why oh why did Hucks sit on the bench for so long and why was Chadders, my Man Of the Match against Cardiff, taken off to make way for him?. The removal of Brellier for Croft was suicidal in my opinion!

I still support the team and the club, but I''ll admit to being nervous in all other matters!.

You guys who post on here are good at judging the current situation, far better that I am, but I am left feeling betrayed by certain elements within the club today, and its got me a bit worried.

So can you advise an old worried wiz by answering my following questions please:

1. Is Grant the Messiah and how long would YOU give him to produce the results?.

2. Has the board backed the fans ambitions and hopes?.

3. Should Docherty and Brown be dropped in favour of the youth players?.

I value your opinions, and up until the Hull game I had utter faith in the manager and board, its still there mind, but I have seen certain things which have shaken that belief a little bit.

Please help restore it,

Many thanks,

wiz.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

1. Is Grant the Messiah and how long would YOU give him to produce the results?.

[/quote]

He needs this season, it''s his side now and they need time to gel. It''s no good changing the manager again so soon.

[quote]2. Has the board backed the fans ambitions and hopes?.[/quote]

Well, we''ve signed nine players. Though I''m not convinced they''ve given Grant enough money to spend.

[quote]3. Should Docherty and Brown be dropped in favour of the youth players?.[/quote]

Here we go, it''s the whole scapegoat situation again. Certainly Brown has played fine so far, Doherty had a decent game but overall is unconvincing.

To No1, not at present due to lack of experience, the board have no alternative but to give him a year but everybody measures success by their own criteria. Me personaly, he should not be able to gain experience of a job he has never done before at our club. (yes I know some managers hit it off immediately a la Keane but very few.)No2. It is never clear about the backing as our board rightly or wrongly persists in keeping all relevant details of tranfers and contracts to themselves, i.e. get out clauses. I have a personal lack of trust in Neil Donkeycaster.No3. You chose to name individuals and I believe in those cases then yes they should be replaced by youth players. We do not trust our youth players, play them out of position, and overy criticise them (by we i mean club management). They must despair at seeing the team we put out at times. I would much rather have bouht half the players and twice the value each all of whom would be able to play with and help promising youngsters, in particular Spillane, Martin and both Jarvis''s.

The Doc shoud definitely be replaced. Brown holds the ball up well & if we played a smaller player up front with Cureton he would not score goals.

This is not meant as an attack or an insult Wiz, but in answer to you post "Why do I feel betrayed this morning."

Is it not that, in you current frame of mind you expected to much. You are an extremist and you recent post about us all trusting you that we will get promotion is proof of that.

As I said I am not wishing to insult you, after all we are all City fans and we all feel down today after yesterdays match.

Maybe you have to face the facts Grant isn''t a tactical genius and we aren''t a team of players destined for the premiership next season.

I think he quickly identified the weak links in the team and replaced them but the jury is still out on some of his signings and his tactical acumen.

No. The Huckerby signing aside they rarely do.

Brown had a good game yesterday in my opinion and with Huckerby to supplement the attack Brown is worth persevering with. Doherty is another matter. I don''t think he was particularly bad yesterday but he is a a liability that other teams will be keen to exploit especially his lack of pace. I think Spillane deserves a chance on what i''ve seen so far. Of the other outfield players I don''t rate Rossi or Eagle at all.

I mean, we have the best fans in the world, and our players flog their guts out for the club. Yet through all this, I really believed we would have signed a new centre half, because lets be honest here, we desperately need one!.

I really don''t want this post to degenerate into a ''hate the club'' type post, but why oh why did Hucks sit on the bench for so long and why was Chadders, my Man Of the Match against Cardiff, taken off to make way for him?. The removal of Brellier for Croft was suicidal in my opinion!

I still support the team and the club, but I''ll admit to being nervous in all other matters!.

You guys who post on here are good at judging the current situation, far better that I am, but I am left feeling betrayed by certain elements within the club today, and its got me a bit worried.

So can you advise an old worried wiz by answering my following questions please:

I value your opinions, and up until the Hull game I had utter faith in the manager and board, its still there mind, but I have seen certain things which have shaken that belief a little bit.

Please help restore it,

Many thanks,

wiz.

[/quote]

Wiz.

First. I think if city had won yesterday you wouldn''t have posted this at all but you''d have been singing their praises and saying we were on the right tracks.

I think this is a clever way of jumping the fence (again) without being seen to jump the fence. Why else would you question PG and at the same time remove your signature which proclaimed ''Peter has a plan and I''m backing him''

You pick up the two biggest bones of contention on this board i.e Brown/Doc and the board knowing that both topics are subject to fierce debate without offering your own opinions. Offer them up for debate then sit back and watch the sparks fly. Clever wiz !! 

Then you patronise the fans by calling them the best in the world less than twenty four hours after they have booed the team off the pitch.

Since I joined this board I have seen you criticised many times for switching sides and glory hunting but this post is the most blatent post I have seen yet.

I''ve had many disagreements with smudger, cluck and arthur whittle but I admire them for sticking to their beliefs. I think that by asking for posters views when you already know the answers gives you the opportunity to switch sides again (cos it''s boring being the nice old wiz).

Sorry wiz, but this strikes me as very devious. Please prove me wrong !!

lappinitup. 

Answers:1. He may be the Messiah - in so many ways things are better than they were under Worthington - removal of deadwood, astute cheap signings, honest comments after matches, passion, etc. I think that he needs a full season at least, with minimal injuries (- not a good start) and players fully fit. I suspect that he will move heaven and earth to obtain one or two loan signings immediately and again in the January window. He will use the whole year to produce another list of possible signings next summer. Only then will it be be possible to judge. Clearly the present squad is better than the one he inherited, with no-one he has to hide, but he has to think about replacing Dion and Hux (possibly) through retirement, and we need two good central defenders.2. The Board''s attitude in all this is diffcult to determine. PG has spent at least £3.5m in obtaining Marshall, Cureton, Dave anmd Rusty, which must be a large hole in the combined  receipts from Etuhu and Safri, and was clearly looking to add over the past few weeks, so it looks as if he was able to spend sales proceeds and the £2m from tne new directors. The fact that he found so many Bosmans and "frees" suggests that little else was in the offing, and he is still talking about going to the SPL in January because there are better bargains in Scotland. The overall impression is that Prudence is still in charge, and PG has talked about not buying player(s) for silly money, but he has had a largish budget (although perhaps not on the sacle that Worthington had at times.)3. Most people seem to agree that while Doc is brave and tenacious, he is the one most prone to go walkabout and leave players unmarked. (He is also the one most likely to concede free-kicks around the penalty area.) Whether Spillane or Halliday is good enough is open to debate, certainly Halliday. We have such a run of tough matches coming up that perhaps it is not the time to introduce a youngster, even for the final 20 minutes of a game to see how he copes. I thuink that PG will be looking for one or two loan players, especially if Shackell is out too many weeks.On Brown, apart from Dave who could be a replacement? Brown seems to be playing the target-man role very well. If those supplying crosses did so nearer the goal he might even score a few. At the moment , as people point out, he usually has his back to goal when controlling long punts! It is still relatively early, but you would have to say that Brown and Fozzy are the players showing the greatest improvement since last season, and if PG can weld them and others into an effective unit....  With Hux on the mend, and another source of crosses, - along with Lappin, Chadderrs/Crofty and Otse, the last thing we should consider is replacing a tall forward with a shorter one. I am not sure if Curo is taller than Earnshaw, with whom it was pointless pumping crosses last season. If, after a few more games, Curo and Brown still do not seem on the same wavelength, then that may be the time to consider a different combination - Curo and Martin/Renton/Dave, or even Dion if the defensive problems are resolved by then.

[quote user="lappinitup"]

Wiz.

First. I think if city had won yesterday you wouldn''t have posted this at all but you''d have been singing their praises and saying we were on the right tracks.

I think this is a clever way of jumping the fence (again) without being seen to jump the fence. Why else would you question PG and at the same time remove your signature which proclaimed ''Peter has a plan and I''m backing him''

You pick up the two biggest bones of contention on this board i.e Brown/Doc and the board knowing that both topics are subject to fierce debate without offering your own opinions. Offer them up for debate then sit back and watch the sparks fly. Clever wiz !! 

Then you patronise the fans by calling them the best in the world less than twenty four hours after they have booed the team off the pitch.

Since I joined this board I have seen you criticised many times for switching sides and glory hunting but this post is the most blatent post I have seen yet.

I''ve had many disagreements with smudger, cluck and arthur whittle but I admire them for sticking to their beliefs. I think that by asking for posters views when you already know the answers gives you the opportunity to switch sides again (cos it''s boring being the nice old wiz).

Sorry wiz, but this strikes me as very devious. Please prove me wrong !!

lappinitup. 

[/quote]

Lappinitup:

How can I prove you''re wrong?, I can but try.

Firstly, WE  City supporters are the best fans in the world, who support the best club in the world, just because 50 or 60 disappointed fans booed at the end proves nothing, I have to remind you that nearly 24.000 didn''t!.

My signature removal is nothing more sinister than I was simply bored with it, there may be a new one tomorrow, who knows?, I don''t! I''m still hopeful that when the injuries are cleared up, a top 6 finish won''t be beyond us.

Tis true, a win yesterday may have resulted in me not posting today, but, there were events obvious yesterday that I hadn''t noticed before, so therefore..................

The vital difference between those posters you mention and I is quite clear, I ALSO PRAISE THE CLUB, FANS AND PLAYERS, they never do!. So if you admire that kind of behaviour then all is lost for me I guess.

As for your charge of me ''glory hunting'' I will not give that any credability by attempting to answer it.

I haven''t voiced an opinion on the Board or Brown and Doherty issue because I genuinely don''t know, thats why I started this thread in the first place! to gain information and opinion to make that judgement.

That is fair and proper to all parties, and I won''t apologise for that.

I clearly said I still support the club, on that theres no change. I was looking for help but you wanted to make it a personal attack.

That saddens me mate, thanks.

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]

Maybe you have to face the facts Grant isn''t a tactical genius and we aren''t a team of players destined for the premiership next season.

[/quote]

At least I can accept that arguement Hardhouse.

But, I''m convinced something must have rubbed off on Grant at West Ham, he isn''t crap as some would like to say. And pound for pound, there''s not many other players I''d swap our guys for in the Chumps.

I can''t see why a top 6 slot isn''t possible, and yes, worries have crept in for me, but we must give Peter a season at least with his own team surely.

I was pretty fed up on the way back from Hull last week and even more fed up driving home after the game Saturday. I also didn''t understand why Hucks was on the bench so long, surely he was  fit after playing 120 mins of football in the cup game Tuesday night?

As for Doc, its time to drop him and revert to Dion and Shackell( when fit) until we get a new centre half when Dion can then revert to his favoured position of upfront.

Brown for me has worked his socks off but hes a striker not scoring goals so I''d start Martin for the Palace game and give him a chance.

So I don''t feel betrayed Wiz, but have to admit to feeling a bit worried, but its early days for a new squad that needs to gel and bond.

Just seems that Coventry''s 10 new players have bonded quicker than ours??

Sorry wiz. Let me assure you my post was not a personal attack but simply a reply to your post which for me raised more questions than answers.

The thing that jumped out at me was your quote.......

''''I haven''t voiced an opinion on the Board or Brown and Doherty issue because I genuinely don''t know, thats why I started this thread in the first place! to gain information and opinion to make that judgement.''''

Wiz old mate, there have been hundreds of threads on all three subjects so what new information can you possibly hope to get by starting a new one ?

You must have seen nutty''s signature... bored of the board.... or smudgers standard response... Brown is crap....and as for poor old doc!!!!!!

No wiz, for me your post was wavering towards the negative on the strength of yesterdays defeat. Stick with me and arrdee and keep the belief. Remember, PETER HAS A PLAN !!

I''m not a knee jerk reactionist, at least I don''t believe so. I don''t particularly believe in Mr Grant the Manager however I''m well aware that he isn''t going to be and even I guess shouldn''t be sacked at the present time. I don''t however think that any manager has the right to be unquestioned or un-judged. I can''t accept the give him a whole season mentality and again with the best intentions I don''t for one minute think you do to Wiz. If we are in a relegation position at Xmas say then we are not improving under his guidance. It is just as possible for bad management to take a club down as it is outstanding management gain you promotion.

I doubt that the problem will be as bad as the relegation situation by Xmas but I also doubt we will be in or around the playoffs either.

My fear is we are wasting precious time under inadequate management. Now I''ll admit only time will tell if that is so. I don''t believe to much in transitional periods or settling in periods either. I know the settling in thing is trawled out every week by the blind faithers. Where was that settling in period when we signed Crouch, Harper and Huckerby on loan in our promotion season. I just don''t believe good players need very long. I''ll always accept a bad game from a player from time to time, after all even the great Huckerby isn''t at his best some days but I stand by my statement good player are good players and that will always be evident over a handful of games.

So Xmas is more than enough time to judge our players and our manager as far as I can see and I don''t think I''ll be alone in that if we aren''t in a stronger position than we were last Xmas.

Please help restore it,

Many thanks,

wiz.

[/quote]

Wiz Wiz Wiz you never cease to amaze me old pal!

Is Grant the Messiah and how long would YOU give him to produce the results?.

1.  No - and he isnt even a very naughty boy;  his transfer dealings have generally hit the mark but its the tactics that worry me  the most;  a case of wait and see but this IS his team and so he lives or dies by their performances and results.

2. No -but is it possible for them to do so?  As fans we will always want more, even when all our original hopes have been met;  its what fans do

3.  No;  for 2 reasons,  Firstly is their form bad enough to warrant being dropped?  For me Doc is doing OK and Brown is doing the job asked of him;  win hoofed balls to knock on and bring others into play,  that we are doing nothing with the second ball to give him or Cureton a chance to score is an issue for tactics and midfield not the strikers.

Secondly the youth are not good enough.  Doc is nowhere near the liability painted;  the alternative is Halliday who hasnt impressed out on loan (unlike Ryan Jarvis or Lewis) so why would he cope in the champs??  Up front Martins attitude is questionable (gets a contract, downs tools then gets fat over the summer - impressive) which leaves who?  The issue up front is the lack of chances.  Given the shocking service yesterday no-one was going to score, so playing Brown as the target man is a must.

Please help restore it,

Many thanks,

wiz.

[/quote]you fell  betrayed because you became sucked into the NCFC PR SPIN machine. welcome to the real world. this is going to be a long long season ahead.GRANT OUT

[quote user="cityangel"]

I was pretty fed up on the way back from Hull last week and even more fed up driving home after the game Saturday. I also didn''t understand why Hucks was on the bench so long, surely he was  fit after playing 120 mins of football in the cup game Tuesday night?

As for Doc, its time to drop him and revert to Dion and Shackell( when fit) until we get a new centre half when Dion can then revert to his favoured position of upfront.

Brown for me has worked his socks off but hes a striker not scoring goals so I''d start Martin for the Palace game and give him a chance.

So I don''t feel betrayed Wiz, but have to admit to feeling a bit worried, but its early days for a new squad that needs to gel and bond.

Just seems that Coventry''s 10 new players have bonded quicker than ours??

[/quote]

CA, I know it''s the majority view and I''m not picking on your post, but what did Doherty do yesterday to warrant being dropped?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

CA, I know it''s the majority view and I''m not picking on your post, but what did Doherty do yesterday to warrant being dropped?

[/quote]

It wasn''t yesterdays game in particular Nigel because he was ok first half.. He just hasn''t inspired me with confidence this season, he gives away unneccesary fouls, isn''t the right person to lead and motivate young Shackell, his distribution is often poor and why does he go upfront for corners because he never hits the target.

He needs a rest and more importantly he needs to know that he has competition for his place which he would have if we brought someone new in. At the moment he''s in week in and out even if he has a bad game.

Just my opinion of course.

im not a norwich fan, but i will put my points across

like most manager appointed nowadays they usually have a 3yr plan to go up! But generally the board are happy if they make progress etc.. i think you''ll end up midtable this year, near/in playoffs 2nd season and 3rd season promoted if this is the plan!

when you appointed grant their wasnt that much managers around who you would take a chance on! i know you wouldnt sack grant tommorow but if you did you could have newell, warnock, allen and jewell. and maybe have manager such as holloway of plymouth as you are a bigger side etc...

NO, but like most teams fans demand istant results and istant purchases, i think norwich have done smart as realistically they wont go up this season, bide your time and pinch the best of league 1 i.e next billy sharp, commons etc... dont waste now on prem tosh who over paid etc...

realstically you wont go up this season, if your satified with a transistion year then play few your youngsters and get them ready for next season! my team wolves have found this really useful for this season/end of last season! also these players may not be finished artical but they will give you 110% and you cant knock them for that even if make odd mistake although the season pro like docherty would prob be slaughtered for poor mistake

Please help restore it,

Many thanks,

wiz.

[/quote]

Hey Wiz, your post is right and well thought out but Chadwick man of the match. I rate the guy but he was shocking on Saturday and offered nothing. A guy of his ability needs to be doing alot more. Croft should have replaced him much earlier, and Hucks should have replaced Lappin instead of Brellier

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

It wasn''t yesterdays game in particular Nigel because he was ok first half.. He just hasn''t inspired me with confidence this season, he gives away unneccesary fouls, isn''t the right person to lead and motivate young Shackell, his distribution is often poor and why does he go upfront for corners because he never hits the target.

He needs a rest and more importantly he needs to know that he has competition for his place which he would have if we brought someone new in. At the moment he''s in week in and out even if he has a bad game.

[/quote]

That''s fair enough CA and your opinion is as valid as anyone elses. I just feel he is getting a bit of a rough ride from the fans and his performances are scrutinised for every mistake. It''s this weeks fashion to criticise the amount of times he has had attempts on goal without scoring. I''d be inclined to ask why other players haven''t had any attempts on goal at all. What did Jamie Cureton do on Saturday to warrant selection next week? If his performance yesterday was scrutinised in the same way as Doherty''s this messageboard would have looked very different today.

I have come to the conclusion that The Doc would be better at another club, but would we be better without him?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="cityangel"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That''s fair enough CA and your opinion is as valid as anyone elses. I just feel he is getting a bit of a rough ride from the fans and his performances are scrutinised for every mistake. It''s this weeks fashion to criticise the amount of times he has had attempts on goal without scoring. I''d be inclined to ask why other players haven''t had any attempts on goal at all. What did Jamie Cureton do on Saturday to warrant selection next week? If his performance yesterday was scrutinised in the same way as Doherty''s this messageboard would have looked very different today.

I have come to the conclusion that The Doc would be better at another club, but would we be better without him?

[/quote]

Nutty. Are you quite, quite sure you''re not really ''The Doc''s'' mum in disguise?

He won''t cry if he get''s some stiff competition. He''s a big boy now. In fact some competition will do him the world of good - so that maybe he can become the fans'' favourite, favourite again, just like old times. then we''ll all be happy won''t we?[A]

OTBC 

OTBC

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="cityangel"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I havent given him a rough ride Nigel, I support all my team when they are on the pitch doing their best. I just feel for his own good he needs a rest and some competition which might restore him to the player he was  2 seasons ago.

[quote user="cityangel"]

I havent given him a rough ride Nigel, I support all my team when they are on the pitch doing their best. I just feel for his own good he needs a rest and some competition which might restore him to the player he was  2 seasons ago.

[/quote]

I know you support all the team when they are on the pitch CA and I really wasn''t ''having a pop'' it just seemed strange to me to suggest we drop Doherty in place of two central defenders whose mistakes have cost us two goals in the last two league games.

Bly - that explains why donkerty is picked every week. His mother is Delia''s cousin!! (It''s so easy to post like you do - without a care if it''s factual or not)

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

I know you support all the team when they are on the pitch CA and I really wasn''t ''having a pop'' it just seemed strange to me to suggest we drop Doherty in place of two central defenders whose mistakes have cost us two goals in the last two league games.

Bly - that explains why donkerty is picked every week. His mother is Delia''s cousin!! (It''s so easy to post like you do - without a care if it''s factual or not)

[/quote]

U seem particularly humourless today, Nutty. What''s up, missed breakfast? Or is it all that effort u expend in defending the indefensible about our central defender griping you?

OTBC