Sign in to follow this  
The Voice of the Thorpe Area

Don't get carried away...Cardiff- The Verdict!

It''s amazing how one game causes so many people to tail into panic.

I saw enough today to convince myself that we will do well this season. Remember, it''s a marathon...

We passed the ball very well at times, and, even without Hucks, we looked a threat, although I would rather have seen Croft on the right today.

Defensively, we kept Fowler and Hasslebaink very quiet, not many teams will do that this year. The first goal was a tad fortunate for Cardiff. The second, well, let''s say that the cardiff player showed the doc how to score with a free header. Up top, Brown won every header, and had a good game. (I wish he''d get a goal, he deserves it so much for his hard work. Think Crouch at Liverpool...). It would be nice however for Cureton to be more involved in the game, or at least be given a chance.

Although there is much room for improvement, we outplayed Cardiff for large parts of the match, their manager has himself said this- we were better. Keep the faith, the signs are good!

OTBC!

Same Old, Same Old I''m afraid.

4 Points form 4 Games is a poor return.

Hull and preston wont challenge and we managed 1 point form them two away games and one goal, we''ve got good sides like Wolves and Charlton coming up away.

Southampton may with a good manager as they have, and with the strikers theyve got challenge for the play offs, I dont think Cardiff will. Theyve struggled so far, until they come to norwich!

HasselBaink and Fowler, the jurys out, id rather have Cureton. There both past their best, there both not that quick, there not a partnership, they make take chances but they wont bag 25 each, certainly not if the play together. So, No, i dont think we can be pleased with our defending. We conceded two at home. Poor!

I''m Worried!

We lost today because peter grant has not got a clue we was beaten by a team i would rate not as good as barnet at times.Someone please ask peter grant if he knows what a winger is because i tell you this cardiff side was so poor my 18month old grandaughter could have easily seen if he had used wingers to get behind there full backs and provide some crosses for cureton and brown we could have won this by a street.I am sorry to say with this pratt in charge we will be lucky to hang on to our championship status.He thinks its very clever to just win 1-0 hanging on I AM SICK OF HIS MOUTH AND BORING TACTICS.not to mention the way he slags of players in public the bloke is a basket case.

Dave Jones also said "Today was probably our worst performance of the season and yet we come away with a win " so if we cannot beat struggling teams which is what we have played so far this season just who are we going to beat ? . I dont know what good signs you are seeing but i cannot see us winning away from home against anybody and its hardly fortress Carrow Road these days .

Thorpy - Not sure it is just one game though. At half time I said to the bloke who sits next to me "It will finish 2-1 to Cardiff", the reason I made such a statement is simple, we lack consistency and we cannot finish teams off. We seem to have one good half and one bad half every game, and I felt that the first half was our good half so I had this feeling that we would let Cardiff back into the game, and so it came to pass. We dominated the first half created lots of chances but only went in 1-0 up. Our performance in the second half was poor by comparison, hardly created anything. For me the old problems have not gone away, defending too deep not defending set pieces well (something it is alleged that PG said in his interview for the managers job that he had recognised as a problem and which would be one of his priorities to sort out). I am also worried by our insistence on chipping the ball in the general direction of the opposition box. I really feel for Cureton and Brown, Brown because he works his socks off trying to make something out of nothing and winning headers etc, but as a striker he is going to be judged on the amount of gaols he scores and he is just not getting the service, I suspect (like Iwan) he would love to get on the end of some decent crosses from the flanks, Cureton because he needs the ball to his feet when it is passed to him, he will also thrive off flicks and knock downs from Brown but unfortunetly the balls into Brown are just not taregetted well enough.

"It''s amazing how one game causes so many people to tail into panic."I''ve watched four pre-season matches, one Carling Cup game, three League games (missed the Hull one) and my opinion hasn''t changed - it''s unconvincing.You could also include plenty of games from October onwards last season.The point is - as someone else on here says - we only seem to play for about 20 minutes per game, we''re inconsistent, prone to collapse, prone to glaring schoolboy defending and unable to kill a game (hey, no change there!).Don''t get me wrong, I would dearly love Granty to do well. I like him, I''m willing to give him time. Trouble is, if we''re not careful we could end up with another mid-table finish and the gap between the Premiership and the Chumpionship gets bigger every year.Simply saying ''it''s not that bad'' doesn''t really help does it?To make it worse, we now have two weeks to agonise over it all, no doubt full of platitudes from the players about how they are determined to ''put it right''.

Is good passing the thing that you need to get you out of the Championship? West Ham found that it was not much help when you go to Hull on a Wednesday night in the freezing cold. The up and under game was sometimes required and the fans had to compromise their principles of the passing game. Because of it, we stayed down, when we expected to go straight back up.

Don''t you need experienced players/ones that will put their foot in/loan players from Premiership clubs?

Your enemy plucked Mark Noble from my club last year on loan. After seven months , they tried to buy him, because of the impact that he had made on their results. The Hammers wanted him back when the loan period was up. He is now a highly rated, first team player, who will captain us in years to come. Shouldn''t your scouts be out there finding similar players? Surely, You must bite your lips and go down the same path as them. Find some excellent loan players, if you want to get out of the hardest league, to get, promotion from.

If, neither, Hasselbank or Fowler, (their experienced goal machine), didn''t score, does that make the result even worse?   

[quote user="ncfc1"]Dave Jones also said "Today was probably our worst performance of the season and yet we come away with a win " so if we cannot beat struggling teams which is what we have played so far this season just who are we going to beat ? . I dont know what good signs you are seeing but i cannot see us winning away from home against anybody and its hardly fortress Carrow Road these days .[/quote]

The other part of Jones'' post match comments that you have selectively edited conceded that they won it because they were lucky - he said that we controlled the game.  

[IF]

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don''t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don''t give way to hating,
And yet don''t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream--and not make dreams your master,
If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you''ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ''em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings--nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much,
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds'' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that''s in it,
And--which is more--you''ll be a Man, my son!

--Rudyard Kipling