Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

Marshall, oh dear oh dear oh dear!

I dont want to start slagging him off, especially as i wanted us to sign him after last season but im starting to get worried now...

Both goals yesterday were his fault!

Watch the highlights again.. fo the first goal he isnt looking at the ball.. it comes off Dions head and Marshall has the time to react and calmly take the ball in his hands.. he doesnt.. he flaps and in the end what turns out into a saveable shot is an embarresement for the defence and Marshall

the 2nd goal, Otsemobor is heading towards the near post, Marshal stops him, says something to him then pushes him away from the post towards the edge of the 6 yard box.... He then watches as the ball loops over his head from Roger Johnsons Header and into the net at the post Otsemobor would of been on!

During Added time3 and the end of the game whnever Marshall got the ball he want releaeing it quick.. he was holding it up until everyone was in the center circle then punting it onto Dions head! surely with Hucks, Semmy and cureton all with pace (and Croft on the pitch too) the best option would of been to roll it out quickly and use our pace to run at Cardiff on the back foot!

Couple this with the 2 mistakes he made againt Southampon (one leading to a goal the other one almost sneaking in through his legs) and im starting to think we have maybe got a bum deal here...

If he''d done his job yesterday we''d of won.. End of! we paid almost 1 million pound for someone billed as "the next Gunn" and  what we have got is a nervy Flapper who loses concentration at key moments.. when on the Bench we have a highly regarded Keeper who cost us Nothing.... Will Grant have the balls to Drop Marshall if he keeps costing us goals? Will Marshall want out if he loses his place to Gilks... how many more goals can we afford to concede this season?

If i was the manager i''d of already told him he was in the last chance saloon.. the goalkeepers the most important player on the team.. ok we all make mistakes.. as the Cardiff Keeeper proved yesterday... but some mistakes are due to carelessness.. and its the managers decision to say "enoughs enough"

Balls in your court Marshall... or should that be Your net?! 

jas :)

I have maintained since his loan spell here that I''ve never been convinced by him but... he''s a young lad and there''s still plenty of time for him.

But at the moment he''s a fairly average keeper.

I would agree that Marshall hasn''t played like the keeper we were looking for as yet. But blaming both of yesterday''s goals on him is simply wrong.There is little he could have done about the first goal. The ball is put into the net from about 3 yards out. For the second goal, I''m surprised Marshall didn''t dive for it, but the the rest you can blame on the outfield players. If Otsemobor''s job was to cover the front post, he didn''t do it. Meanwhile Dublin and Doherty got outnumbered on the edge of area, and simply failed to deal with the cross. I don''t see how Marshall can be blamed for that.

He did keep us in the cup though.

There does seem to be a sense of deja vu, that when Gallagher started the loss of Green was seen as negligible as we had a back up keeper who was equally as good, but the honeymoon period didn''t last. I just hope any errors on Saturday were a blip.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]I would agree that Marshall hasn''t played like the keeper we were looking for as yet. But blaming both of yesterday''s goals on him is simply wrong.

There is little he could have done about the first goal. The ball is put into the net from about 3 yards out.

For the second goal, I''m surprised Marshall didn''t dive for it, but the the rest you can blame on the outfield players. If Otsemobor''s job was to cover the front post, he didn''t do it. Meanwhile Dublin and Doherty got outnumbered on the edge of area, and simply failed to deal with the cross. I don''t see how Marshall can be blamed for that.

[/quote]

Marshall isnt even looking for the 1st goal.. he''s on the deck before the ball is even in the net.. theres no power on dions flick and as i said previous Marshall could of come out and claimed

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Marshall isnt even looking for the 1st goal.. he''s on the deck before the ball is even in the net.. theres no power on dions flick and as i said previous Marshall could of come out and claimed

[/quote]No. There is plenty of pace on the cross after Dion touches it on. The ball then dips quickly from head height to ground level, for Whittingham to put it in at the back post from 3 yards. Marshall reacts, but can''t save it at that close range. He did nothing wrong.As with the winning goal, it was Dublin and Doherty''s inability to clear the cross that causes the problem. Making Marshall the scapegoat simply diverts attention from the real problem.

I havent seen the highlights so I cant comment on what it looks like on them, but I was in the lower barclay just behind the goal...

Marshall was screaming ''near post, near post'' for a good ten seconds and the defenders were looking at him and taking no responsibilty, he then grabbed Otsembor and pushed him towards the post, he stil didnt go onto the line though and it just looped over him. I think its unfair to blame Marshall for the second.

[quote user="Lappin it up"]I havent seen the highlights so I cant comment on what it looks like on them, but I was in the lower barclay just behind the goal... Marshall was screaming ''near post, near post'' for a good ten seconds and the defenders were looking at him and taking no responsibilty, he then grabbed Otsembor and pushed him towards the post, he stil didnt go onto the line though and it just looped over him. I think its unfair to blame Marshall for the second.[/quote]

Spot on. Besides, Dion has rightly accepted the blame for their second goal after the man he was supposed to be marking had a free header in the box,

Can''t agree with this at all.

How about some of the positives? For example, great effort in the second half and a great brave stop getting to the ball before Fowler in the first, where he took a knock and was limping around for a few minutes after.

Whatever he is, he is better than anything we''ve had since Greeno went.

Well Dion has just stated mea culpa,  which having finally seen the replays is the right thing to do for both, not just the second goal.

I do agree that my gut feel remains that Marshall could have done better,  but the defence should have prevented him from having to deal with anything. 

What the..!!??  It was Dion''s fault not marshall''s, but oh no Dion''s mr invincible isn''t he! talk about bleedin favourtism!

some people on this board are so fickle, and will find everything negative possible, and for me they arn''t true fans. True fans back the team through thick and thin, something too many norwich fans dont do!

Some support for Marshall is needed I think. Neither goal this week was caused by his errors and it sounds like he problem is more like the defenders not yet listenin to him, a problem often faced by new gk''s. He will need to be more vocal and commandig but is an outstanding prospect, and has already shown what a god shot stopper he can be. Dont forget some of the saves at the West Ham friendly game, clearly showing natural ability.

Its called no mans land, hen a defence are 6-8 yards out going for headers, you dont know whether to advance or stay, now, if he had approached the ball and missed leading to a goal would you be so pleased he dived out?noa goalkeeper relies on his defence to make it easy for hima goalkeeper is supposed to be lazy and fat, they shouldnt need to do anything, marshall is far too busy, because its the defence that are kkazyso lads, dont blame marshall. blame the defence its their problem, there are 4 of them and only one goalie!!!!!

I sit on the front row of the Barclay and I could''ve sworn he was shouting "Crofty!" repeatedly and pointing at the near post for Cardiff''s second. He then had to manhandle Otsemobor and throw him towards the vicinity... but he stood near the edge of the six yard box at the near post.

[quote user="O.J."]I sit on the front row of the Barclay and I could''ve sworn he was shouting "Crofty!" repeatedly and pointing at the near post for Cardiff''s second. He then had to manhandle Otsemobor and throw him towards the vicinity... but he stood near the edge of the six yard box at the near post.
[/quote]

Well, if you think you have players on both posts that''s  not an unreasonable position for a goalkeeper I would say.  Not sure about "edge" of 6 yard box but certainly off your goal line, just in case it *isn''t" an inswinger and you can get to it.

Who knows what sort of corner it will be?   That''s your problem.  You get your posts covered and then you try to read the flight of the ball.

*If* the posts are covered I certainly didn''t stand on the line.  A bit off and then try to judge the flight of the ball.

There seems to be some dispute as to whether one post was covered or not and that might be the key to it.

Elderly bloke now but then no gloves, football with laces (when it was wet it was like being hit by a brick), nearly a season with the now famous Reading (then Third Division South) as an unpaid Amateur propelled with passable result into the first XI on account of the other two both sustaining major injuries, one broken arm, one broken leg.

Kept a clean sheet at home to a then First Division side (slaughtered 4-0 on the replay).  In the first game my LB said: "For Christ''s sake shut up"

Then the really *big* Boxing Day game was Reading v Aldershot! Or it was in Third Division South.

Once saved a Jimmy Greaves penalty (okay, it was only Football Combination, and he was coming back from injury).  We lost 6-0 and the Reading Chronicle was kind enough to suggest that it might have been a lot more but for........

I would have thought that having defenders on both posts for a corner without being told is training ground stuff but the game has changed so much that I am no longer sure.

If in doubt, blame the goalkeeper.