Sign in to follow this  
lucky green trainers

ostemobor - r u colin in disguise?!?

having seen semmy play a few games now - i''m worried we''ve swapped one defensive nugget for another.  although he improved, i never felt colin was the real deal and was pleased to see him go.  however, although semmy is  light years ahead of colin going foward, defensively, i''m concerned that he shares ''colin like'' tendancies.like colin - for me - too often semmy goes awol and loses position.  unlike colin, his tackles are sometimes weak&/or unconvincing - eg for the saints kenwyne jones goal - his tackle was as weak as a girls, allowing the striker time to pick his spot past an equally unconvincing doc block tackle.  he seems to be reactive than proactive at time.  on saturday, he was undone by (obvious) balls over the top, which for a man of his pace should be a cardinal sin.  also, for both goals he should''ve possibly done better.  for the first, although the ball skidded horribly off dions skid pan with pace, whittingham has to deal with the doc and semmy - unfortnately, it was a one sided contest as the cardiff striker reatced quicker - however, why wasn''t semmy closer to at least put a meaningful challenge in???for the second - it looks like he was off in no mans land, rather than on the line defending the near post - result, a cushioned header with no pace from around the pen spot pear dropped in to the space he should''ve been marking!i will say semmy has greater potential than colin imo - but he needs to get closer to players instead of standing off like the doc and drury - and anticipate better.  however, like brown - can city afford the luxury of bedding in raw talent if we are going to be contesting at the better end of the table???  hopefully, he''ll get better as the season progresses.you could set your watch by edworthy - but i don''t get anywhere near that feeling with semmy.

You''re really scraping the barrel here. Dion''s held up his hands for the second goal - the guy had a free header because of Dion''s error, and anyway, from a viewpoint almost directly behind Marshall as the ball was coming in, I thought Marshall could have saved it. Presumably Otsemobor didn''t take the post because the coaches had told him otherwise. As for the first goal, to blame Otsemobor rather than Doherty or Marshall is just perverse. Again, I don''t understand why Marshall didn''t get out quickly to smother that challenge - it was only 3 yards or so from the line. His decision making needs addressing.In any case, Colin was actually a pretty good right back defensively. But Otsemobor is better defensively and vastly better in attack. Any defender who gets forward lays himself open to accusations of being "caught out of position", but Otsemobor''s proved to me that he has the pace not to be caught out. To me, he and Lappin are the two bright spots in the one-point-per-game season so far.

[quote user="Old Boy"]You''re really scraping the barrel here. Dion''s held up his hands for the second goal - the guy had a free header because of Dion''s error, and anyway, from a viewpoint almost directly behind Marshall as the ball was coming in, I thought Marshall could have saved it. Presumably Otsemobor didn''t take the post because the coaches had told him otherwise. As for the first goal, to blame Otsemobor rather than Doherty or Marshall is just perverse. Again, I don''t understand why Marshall didn''t get out quickly to smother that challenge - it was only 3 yards or so from the line. His decision making needs addressing.In any case, Colin was actually a pretty good right back defensively. But Otsemobor is better defensively and vastly better in attack. Any defender who gets forward lays himself open to accusations of being "caught out of position", but Otsemobor''s proved to me that he has the pace not to be caught out. To me, he and Lappin are the two bright spots in the one-point-per-game season so far.[/quote]fair enough OB.  however, having just seen the goals from saturday on look east - certainly for the first goal, if marshal chose not to come for the cross, then its down to the defenders to see off the danger.  on the box, once the ball skidded off dion, having made the decision not to come for the cardiff first goal - it easily passed over the docs head - who  to his credit got close to  the man he was marking,  and went over semmy''s head, who i presume didn''t realise a cardiff player was behind him (given his body language) - result, an unopposed side-foot at the back stick.  semmy was ball watching, rather than seeing where the danger to goal might come from if he couldn''t deal with it.  for the second goal, again there are conflicting reports - and he wasn''t defending his post.  i can''t believe this is down to coaching - most teams put a defender  on the goal line.  as for marshall saving it,  from the jarrold stand - he was well beaten, and i think most keepers would''ve been.  like you i agree semmy has proved he has the pace, but he needs to wise up defensively for me at this higer level if he''s going to cut it.

I was beginning to think it was only me that thought he had a bad game defensively,  do you sit lower barclay too?  (FTFW [;)] )

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]I was beginning to think it was only me that thought he had a bad game defensively,  do you sit lower barclay too?  (FTFW [;)] )[/quote]yes ZLF, my season ticket is lower barclay, but on sat i was in the jarrold with the missus.  had a good view of semmy first half, but  obviously  couldn''t  see  his 2nd half performance as well.  re-run of goals on TV confirmed some suspicions for me and enlightened me - doc did his job, either semmy behind him, or as some suggested marshall, maybe were found wanting.  having seen cave-brown in action for the reserves - less impressed with him than semmy - so i don''t feel there is serious competition for his place, as perhaps there is for drury - re lappin, and possibly murray.

cant believe you are comparing osty to colin.they are completely different players.osty has far more quality and does something colin never did, get forward!!!

1st of all i havnt cant comment on how semmy playing as i havnt seen him but

1. he just come up from league 1, this is the highest he has played professional football at a club for consective games, give the lad a chance to find his feet

2. he is still young and learning his trade, he''s prob a bit nervous making the step up in any case let alone signing for big championship side in norwich compared to crewe, also then expectation is so much more demanding for norwich whilst crewe just get play whatever every week!

[quote user="we8wba"]

1st of all i havnt cant comment on how semmy playing as i havnt seen him but

1. he just come up from league 1, this is the highest he has played professional football at a club for consective games, give the lad a chance to find his feet

2. he is still young and learning his trade, he''s prob a bit nervous making the step up in any case let alone signing for big championship side in norwich compared to crewe, also then expectation is so much more demanding for norwich whilst crewe just get play whatever every week!

[/quote]

Well said! Also, it''s classic how some of your posts are typed in a Midlands accent, lol! [:D]

concerning the replies - agreed he''s a great freebie, he''s a great raw talent with scope for improvement and yes lets hope he makes the step up in class - all of which i''ve already acknowledged. i want semmy to succeed as much as anyone and i''m happy with his contribution going forward, its his defensive qualities that need adjusting.  PG has already suggested semmy knows he needs to up his game to make the grade in the champs.  however, just as drury and eddy found when going to the prem - better and more skilful players will always find ways of unlocking a defence that was mean at a lower grade.  how many times did drury leak a goal at his post in the prem? i want to see alot more from semmy, he''s got talent for sure.

He is exactly what I was expecting. Crewe fans said he has lightening pace & loves to get forward. However, he can''t put in a strong tackle & is tactically naive.

My first opinions of Ostomebor were that he was a headless chicken going forwards and that he couldn''t defend....  I likened him to Louis Jean in about the couple of games I saw him play in...  and as yet despite others hyping him up remain uncovinced on this fella.