Sign in to follow this  
Chopper Harris

Dave the striker

What is the latest on Dave''s injury/illness it has all gone very quiet?He was probably the player I had most expectations of pre season but it has been a slow start for him. I hope he gets a good run in the team soon and scores a few goals soon. Given the investment we made in buying him, we should not leave him hanging around in the reserves. I can see him and JC becoming the first choice pairing upfront by christmas, but we have to play him. I would be interested to hear the views of  others

He has apparently been ill recently, and so hasn''t figured. We were warned that it could take him a while to setle in to English conditions - partly the language and culture problem but also the difference in playing style. He has shown good control and awareness, and PG remarks on his taking up intelligent positions when we attack and on his basic technique. He ought to manage the adjustment in a few months, but clearly it will take longer if he does not play regularly.When he has recovered and regained fitness, he really must spend time on the pitch. We have the difficult period at the end of the month, including the cup game, when we are likely to have to employ a large part of the squad over the 8 days, and it would be good if he could have made some progress by then.He has ability, but although despite scoring regularly with his head previously he does not seem to be a conventional "target man". Some of us are anxious about the target man  strategy anyway, as it can  encourage the long ball which drives out progress of a more passing nature, resulting in fewer pull-backs from the by-line. As Cureton seems likely to be our  main striker, the two of them need to develop an understanding, with swift passing interchange and the successful "small triangles. I hope that this is being worked on in  training.I suppose it has to be said that apart from the Barnet game, when we goals from the midfield, we are struggling to score many goals. So far in the league Curo has scored two, and Brown none, I think, and Dion is dequal top scorer?  This is not really a resounding success, and PG will soon have to think about other combinations, I think. Dave must surely come into his thinking.

Id like to see Strihvaka given a run of games... if he had as many starts as Brown has then maybe he''d of scored..

jas :)

i hope big dave starts against palace, he was v.good in the reserve match and needs his opportunity in a proper match, and hopefully he will get a couple of goal opportunities

I forsee a Helveg type situation in which Grant doesn''t play him for ages, Dave gets peed off, and then finally gets given a run which proves him to (hopefully) be a much better option than Brown - begging the question why he wasn''t picked earlier.

Hopefully wrong though and Grant will start him next match. He needs games in order to adjust, simple as that.

[quote user="Grando"]I forsee a Helveg type situation in which Grant doesn''t play him for ages, Dave gets peed off, and then finally gets given a run which proves him to (hopefully) be a much better option than Brown - begging the question why he wasn''t picked earlier. Hopefully wrong though and Grant will start him next match. He needs games in order to adjust, simple as that.[/quote]

Hope he doesn''t try any ''Helveg style'' dodgy cross field passes across our box against chelsea as well!

[quote user="O.J."]I am still to be convinced by Brown and I would rather see Dave start against Palace.
[/quote]What is it with brown you dont like when are we going to have some wingers so they can create a scoring chance for him .Instead of having to make all his own chances.The service to brown and cureton is non existent your best prem forwards couldnt score with there service they are getting.

He''s got a throat infection and might get in for Palace... hope he does. I think Brown is good in what he does, doing all the running and that, but right now we need goals to get us up there. Maybe have Dave on at the start and go all out attack, then when we have the game won (it could happen) send on Brown to keep the ball up their end?

Could turn out to be one of the most exspensive flops in our history. Why buy a forward who is gonna take ages to settle? Should of gone for an english forward or dare i say it scottish! Does anyone think Grant has regrets about buying him? I am sure managers do sometimes regret buying players after they have been at the club for a few weeks. Its a bit like buying something from a shop. You get it home and then decide you don''t like it or it aint no good and you wish you could return it for a full refund!

[quote user="topoftheleague"]Could turn out to be one of the most exspensive flops in our history. Why buy a forward who is gonna take ages to settle? Should of gone for an english forward or dare i say it scottish! Does anyone think Grant has regrets about buying him? I am sure managers do sometimes regret buying players after they have been at the club for a few weeks. Its a bit like buying something from a shop. You get it home and then decide you don''t like it or it aint no good and you wish you could return it for a full refund![/quote]

Madness!  Couldnt disagree more!  Its worth the punt, definitely!  Look at West Ham in the top flight, you have to pay big money for proven in england, I mean West Ham have spanked cash on players that no one in the top 4 will ever want (faubert excluded).  You have to take the risk, but look at Fat Sam, he takes a lot of risks, true he gets of the Oscar Cabero (or whatever his name was), but he also gets the odd Tal Ben Haim, who is top class for 500k.  Ade badbuy at 31 cost 750k, the same as dave, and is rubbish.  Healey, who has only been good at international level goes for 1.5mill, from a bankrupt league 1 club!!  We could end up with a turkey, true, but move him on after a bit, and only lose 250-500k (or after the Mathias Jonson deal, could even make money), or we could end up with a player who is worth around 4-5mill, the next Kenweyne Jones, or Chopra.  And for me is a chance worth taking.  How else do you think Wenger built a top 4 team for 30mill? 

Scout players properly, and play the law of averages.  True you get the odd, alliadiere, but you also get the odd Eboue!!  True i would take aliadiere for this level, but my point is we are at a lower level, and I think grant is brave to take the gamble, u get slated if you get it wrong - rebrov, but praised when u get it right - berbatov!  Get a few more of gambles I say.

[quote user="Chopper Harris"]What is Muzinic Syndrome?
[/quote]

The fact you had to ask the question speaks volumes......

Dražen Mužinić (born 25 January 1953 in Yugoslavia) is a former professional footballer. He was a midfielder.

Mužinić spent most of his career in his native Yugoslavia. With Hajduk Split he won four league titles, five cups and was capped by his country 36 times, representing them at the 1974 World Cup and Euro 76.

Norwich City FC manager John Bond signed him in 1980, paying what was then a club record £300,000 for his services. However, his time at Norwich was not a success. He struggled for form and did not speak English, making communication at times impossible. At one match, Bond employed the services of an interpreter from the University of East Anglia to pass on instructions to Mužinić from the touchline.

Mužinić made just 23 appearances for Norwich, 17 starts and 6 substitute appearances. He did not score a goal for the club. He made his debut on 13 September 1980 and his final appearance for the club came on 28 December 1982. By then, Bond had left the club to manage Manchester City FC and his successor Ken Brown cancelled the player''s contract at the end of the 1981-82 season. Bond admitted that he had not seen Mužinić play and had signed him on reputation, leading then-Norwich player Justin Fashanu to say "I don''t think we got Muzinic, I reckon they sent his milkman."

In his 2002 updated edition of Canary Citizens, Mike Davage reported that Mužinić has been running a restaurant in Brač. He has also worked as a scout for his former club Hajduk Split

[quote user="Chopper Harris"]What is Muzinic Syndrome?[/quote]An attempt at humour...Drazen Muzinic was a famous ex-canary who was good for Yugoslavia and Hadjuk Split but was then signed by John Bond ''on reputation'' a''la Eriksson has recently, and he turned out to be atrocious for us.He couldn''t speak a word of english and if I remember right we ended up hiring a translator just to pass on the instructions from Bond to him!Was a bit before my time to be honest, but he is one of those players you always end up hearing about.

[quote user="BigFish"]

[quote user="Chopper Harris"]What is Muzinic Syndrome?
[/quote]

The fact you had to ask the question speaks volumes......

Dražen Mužinić (born 25 January 1953 in Yugoslavia) is a former professional footballer. He was a midfielder.

Mužinić spent most of his career in his native Yugoslavia. With Hajduk Split he won four league titles, five cups and was capped by his country 36 times, representing them at the 1974 World Cup and Euro 76.

Norwich City FC manager John Bond signed him in 1980, paying what was then a club record £300,000 for his services. However, his time at Norwich was not a success. He struggled for form and did not speak English, making communication at times impossible. At one match, Bond employed the services of an interpreter from the University of East Anglia to pass on instructions to Mužinić from the touchline.

Mužinić made just 23 appearances for Norwich, 17 starts and 6 substitute appearances. He did not score a goal for the club. He made his debut on 13 September 1980 and his final appearance for the club came on 28 December 1982. By then, Bond had left the club to manage Manchester City FC and his successor Ken Brown cancelled the player''s contract at the end of the 1981-82 season. Bond admitted that he had not seen Mužinić play and had signed him on reputation, leading then-Norwich player Justin Fashanu to say "I don''t think we got Muzinic, I reckon they sent his milkman."

In his 2002 updated edition of Canary Citizens, Mike Davage reported that Mužinić has been running a restaurant in Brač. He has also worked as a scout for his former club Hajduk Split

[/quote]

The fact that you ripped that straight off Wikipedia speaks far louder volumes to me...

Not everyone has been a fan for the last 40 years, or has done extensive research on old players who were around before their time.

A bit more tolerance wouldn''t go amiss...