Sign in to follow this  
blahblahblah

Greener Grass, or same pasture different day ?

Old Shuck speaking about John Bond on another thread :[quote]He says now that he regrets leaving us for Man City. He isn''t the only

one who has left Norwich to go onto -they hope- bigger and better

things, many have tried, many of those may have felt that they were

better off staying with us. That subject is almost worth a post on its

own.[/quote]Well, now it has it''s own thread.  Who do you remember as going on to bigger and better things ?  And who do you remember as having their day in the sun at Carrow Road, only to falter after leaving ?

Mike Walker... Was very unhappy at him leaving, but didn''t want him to fail quite the way he did. I still think he''d have turned it araound given a little more time. I think I''m right in saying that Joe Royale didn''t really change much when he came in....

Bruce Rioch. I thought if he was given a few squid, he''d have taken us on to better things. Sadly, along came Brianblarneymeister Harmlingtongue (with the board''s and particularily ''Deals No Deals'' blessing). Then, the ''Tactical Geyser Brawn Hammermethumb'' was given punds an'' punds an'' punds - to purchase the best that money could burn in the transfer market. Unfortunately, OOPS! Cheerio Brawn, you''ve lost the dressing room, most of the games - and the fans vote of incontinence.

Sadly, to witness our Delia''s emotional upset and personal lament in his resignation, was so upsetting.........for her.[:''(]

BUT! For The Supporters![<:o)][B]

Mike Walker failed miserably at Everton. He only won about half a dozen games but as they were over two half seasons he didn''t actually get them relegated. Happy to go to a big club with funds to spend Daniel Amokachi ''s performances for Nigeria turned his head and he blew 3m on his signature. In fairness Everton played really attractive football at that time, or so one of their fans reckons. I never much liked Everton and that was before they reckoned we were all racist [:|]

Martin O''neill on the other hand found the grass much greener at Leicester and the grass and hoops greener still at Celtic.

I reckon Mello''s got a point about Rioch. I was really happy when he was appointed as manager but he never had money to spend. I often wonder how much the blarneymeister  had to do with his demise. Delia was upset [:''(] at Hamiltons departure when the rest of us were partying[<:o)] but no more so than she was at the departure of Worthy and I honestly believe it was just Delia being Delia.

The guy who never gets mentioned on this board who was running the show at the time is "Bob The Grocer". He was the one who was really thick as thieves with Hamilton. I remember Cooper blaming the press and others at the time for putting pressure on poor Hammy. Whatever happened to that partnership scheme with Parma??[*-)] Later Cooper reckoned he sold Craig Bellamy for 6m to fund the signing of ten new players. I never did work out which ten we got for that, but I''m pretty sure Cottee and Walsh were the first two [:|]

Cooper left after the play off final so I guess on the face of it he could claim some success but he was way too pally with Hamilton for me. But I know, he was appointed by the bored [|-)] My biggest criticism of the current bored [|-)] is the lack of a football presence. Consulting when we appoint a new manager isn''t enough and someone like Dave Stringer who the fans trust would be perfect.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Mike Walker failed miserably at Everton. He only won about half a dozen games but as they were over two half seasons he didn''t actually get them relegated. Happy to go to a big club with funds to spend Daniel Amokachi ''s performances for Nigeria turned his head and he blew 3m on his signature. In fairness Everton played really attractive football at that time, or so one of their fans reckons. I never much liked Everton and that was before they reckoned we were all racist [:|]

Martin O''neill on the other hand found the grass much greener at Leicester and the grass and hoops greener still at Celtic.

I reckon Mello''s got a point about Rioch. I was really happy when he was appointed as manager but he never had money to spend. I often wonder how much the blarneymeister  had to do with his demise. Delia was upset [:''(] at Hamiltons departure when the rest of us were partying[<:o)] but no more so than she was at the departure of Worthy and I honestly believe it was just Delia being Delia.

The guy who never gets mentioned on this board who was running the show at the time is "Bob The Grocer". He was the one who was really thick as thieves with Hamilton. I remember Cooper blaming the press and others at the time for putting pressure on poor Hammy. Whatever happened to that partnership scheme with Parma??[*-)] Later Cooper reckoned he sold Craig Bellamy for 6m to fund the signing of ten new players. I never did work out which ten we got for that, but I''m pretty sure Cottee and Walsh were the first two [:|]

Cooper left after the play off final so I guess on the face of it he could claim some success but he was way too pally with Hamilton for me. But I know, he was appointed by the bored [|-)] My biggest criticism of the current bored [|-)] is the lack of a football presence. Consulting when we appoint a new manager isn''t enough and someone like Dave Stringer who the fans trust would be perfect.

[/quote]

Nutty. The points you make above that I have highlighted just about encapsulate the key reasons for our current state.

The top of the stream is emotional and cloudy. They simply don''t have the hard nose or nous to lead and control our football club.

Delia may well cook well and be of a sweet disposition. But so too are my aunt Henrietta and cousin Sarah, but that doesn''t fit them to run our football club.

I''m sure that we all wished otherwise, but it just hasn''t worked out has it? I suspect that this season is the last chance saloon for Delia & hubby before the prisoners on those seasonticketseats get irritable and resentful.

Of course, I hope that it doesn''t work out like this and we finish up in fairyland at seasons'' end.

We''ll see what we shall see soon enough.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Nutty. The points you make above that I have highlighted just about encapsulate the key reasons for our current state.

The top of the stream is emotional and cloudy. They simply don''t have the hard nose or nous to lead and control our football club.

Delia may well cook well and be of a sweet disposition. But so too are my aunt Henrietta and cousin Sarah, but that doesn''t fit them to run our football club.

I''m sure that we all wished otherwise, but it just hasn''t worked out has it? I suspect that this season is the last chance saloon for Delia & hubby before the prisoners on those seasonticketseats get irritable and resentful.

Of course, I hope that it doesn''t work out like this and we finish up in fairyland at seasons'' end.

We''ll see what we shall see soon enough.

OTBC

[/quote]

More pretty wrtitng Bly but in the end you just make parts of my post into a rainbow to try and blame Delia Smith for everything thats wrong at the club I love. I''d welcome comments about ''Bob The Grocer'' Appointed, I would think, by Delia and MWJ, do you feel he took the club forward in the 4 years he was here? I never took to him but he came at a time when the club was at a low ebb and left after the Play Off Final. I''m sure on the guy''s CV his time here is shown as a success.

I agreee we shall see what we see soon enough but it''s still possible that the prisoners on season ticket seats will be doing the Jailhouse Rock next to your Hearbreak Hotel before the season is over! [8]

Bob the Grocer came from Sainsbury''s.  At that time Delia was the face of sainsburys - and hubby published their magazine.  Bob was not the most successful executive Sainsbury''s ever had and one must question how a guy with no experience whatsoever of Football and a very rudimentary understanding of business management came to be appointed to a position that wasn''t advertised.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

someone like Dave Stringer who the fans trust would be perfect.

[/quote]

...so perfect he turned the job down....

[quote user="fleggy"]Bob the Grocer came from Sainsbury''s.  At that time Delia was the face of sainsburys - and hubby published their magazine.  Bob was not the most successful executive Sainsbury''s ever had and one must question how a guy with no experience whatsoever of Football and a very rudimentary understanding of business management came to be appointed to a position that wasn''t advertised.[/quote]

See I agree with this entire post because it''s totally factual. I just wondered if people viewed his time at the club as succesful or not.

I was distraught when Fleck went to Chelsea, he never really made it there though and eventually came back to where he belonged.

Sutton moved on to become part of the most successful strikeforce of that time but still never got into the England side.

im sure i can remember Bob Cooper saying we made £0 for Bellamy... the whole deal was structured around Goals and appearences.. as he flopped at Coventry he never scored the goals or played the games so we lost him for nothing.... im sure i read it in the EDP or the Pinkun not long after he was sold!

Knowing Cooper it was probably true!

jas :)