Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Our club is shrinking away.

Why is our club shrinking away before our eyes?

We''re actually becoming little old norwich. Can anybody convince me that we''re not shrinking away?[:''(]

I''m getting so fed up.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....!!!!

Give us back our club, Delia Smith. And stop hiding.

[st]

OTBC

I do agree in part - previously, the thought of playing Norwich would have most teams at least a little bit nervous, but I read the web sites of our opposition and very few state us a being a particularly tough match....

Nowadays even Sky/BBC etc don''t really give us a mention, it''s like we are there to make the numbers up...

I worry that another poor season will start affecting the attendance, which in turn will put the players off etc and we will get into a downward spiral (look at Notts Forest). We have the capability to be top 6 at least this season, PG is a decent manager (in my opinion), BUT he is not a coach, and until we get that sorted out I think we may struggle....

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

We''re actually becoming little old norwich. Can anybody convince me that we''re not shrinking away?[:''(]

I''m getting so fed up.

[st]

OTBC

[/quote]

Bly my fiend i see it you see it unfortanatly most people are easily sucked in by the great spin merchants that the blind faith shown to the darlings is becoming somewhat cringe worthy!

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

I''m getting so fed up.

[st]

OTBC

[/quote]

Bly my fiend i see it you see it unfortanatly most people are easily sucked in by the great spin merchants that the blind faith shown to the darlings is becoming somewhat cringe worthy!

[/quote]

Insults are hardly going to galvanise people to the cause is it Arther? Have a look at Yellow Hammers well argued post on the Chickens Come Home to Roost thread to see how it''s done.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

I''m getting so fed up.

[st]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

Insults are hardly going to galvanise people to the cause is it Arther? Have a look at Yellow Hammers well argued post on the Chickens Come Home to Roost thread to see how it''s done.

[/quote]

I have read his post and its a good thought provoking one. Now if im wrong in my comments about how the spin is working at CR maybe you would like to refer to my poll on supporting the board.

regards

As supporters'' why don''t you make a representation to local companies and/or individuals. Norwich Union, Norwich Winterthur, Bernard Matthews, Colemans etc. You could reduce deliah''s share holding, whilst, keeping her pumping money in? I probably don''t know what I am talking about, but, its a chance for you to put me right???? 

You are not the only fanzines that are complaining. I went into Derby and Reading''s earlier, and, they are convinced that they will be going down.

If you sold Carrow road, prime site, and went further out, would it create funds?

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

I''m getting so fed up.

[st]

OTBC

[/quote]

Well BBB, I am sure if you went round with a big bag of cash Delia would be more than happy to sell you on a share (or all of it if you could find £40million). Alternatively if the 20,000 who turn up week in week out clubbed together with £2000 quid each they could have their precious club "back" - but they won''t because they don''t care that much (or can''t afford to).

Until that happens it might be time to stop whining[;)], cut out the snide innuendo [:O]& stick to the footy [D].

Saturday was a sickener to us all [st]

''Appyammer, unfortunately Delia and hubby are overall majority shareholders ie. more shares than everyone else put together.  After the Chairman Chase debacle in the mid-1990s we swore we''d never let that happen again, but we didn''t follow through by trying to change the club''s constitution.  They increased their shareholding gradually by converting the money they loaned the club into shares.   

In the close season two new directors, Andrew and Sharon Turner who own a finance company in Norwich, came onto the board after buying out a retiring director''s (very small) shareholding and loaning £2 million to the club.  We''re not at all clear where the £2m has gone, or how much say they actually have or want to have in the running of the club.  Their arrival might be a response to pressure from the fans last season for new blood in the boardroom, and therefore nothing more than a cosmetic exercise to shut us up - or then again it might not.

As far as selling CR is concerned, leaving sentiment aside the time to do that was before they borrowed hugely to build new stands.  Right now they''d have a job to give it away in any case - Norwich is saturated with new apartments standing empty and the debt culture is about to bite back bigtime I predict.  The club has already shelled out a tidy sum to buy some land behind the Jarrold Stand (where the away fans go) and they haven''t sold that either. 

As far as Derby and Reading are concerned, the important thing is that if they do come down they are primed and ready for another charge at promotion.  Like Birmingham, who took a calculated risk by spending some of the second year''s parachute money in advance last season, knowing that if they went straight back up they''d recoup it from their Premiership income, and leaving themselves enough of a cushion if they didn''t.  That''s the way to do it . . .

[quote user="BigFish"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

I''m getting so fed up.

[st]

OTBC

[/quote]

Well BBB, I am sure if you went round with a big bag of cash Delia would be more than happy to sell you on a share (or all of it if you could find £40million). Alternatively if the 20,000 who turn up week in week out clubbed together with £2000 quid each they could have their precious club "back" - but they won''t because they don''t care that much (or can''t afford to).

Until that happens it might be time to stop whining[;)], cut out the snide innuendo [:O]& stick to the footy [D].

[/quote]

BigFish.

Forget about the stock insults for the time being. Forget also for a moment the other argument about whether the club is ''ours'' or not. Please answer me this question from your heart - is the club not shrinking away before our eyes?

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="BigFish"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

I''m getting so fed up.

[st]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

BigFish.

Forget about the stock insults for the time being. Forget also for a moment the other argument about whether the club is ''ours'' or not. Please answer me this question from your heart - is the club not shrinking away before our eyes?

OTBC

[/quote]

No it is not.

On the field it largely fulfills the position that we have got used to over the last decade which is lower mid-table championship. The exception seasons prove the rule with one play-off final & one promotion. The premiership season was always going to end one way as so many teams find (Derby this year?). This description probably describes anything up to a dozen clubs spread from the bottom of the prem into the top of the Championship. Off the field with 24,000 plus attendences, ok but slightly smallish ground and finances stable it would seem to be flourishing. So shrinking, certainly not.

So what was your point again?

[quote user="BigFish"]

On the field it largely fulfills the position that we have got used to over the last decade which is lower mid-table championship. The exception seasons prove the rule with one play-off final & one promotion. The premiership season was always going to end one way as so many teams find (Derby this year?). This description probably describes anything up to a dozen clubs spread from the bottom of the prem into the top of the Championship. Off the field with 24,000 plus attendences, ok but slightly smallish ground and finances stable it would seem to be flourishing. So shrinking, certainly not.

[/quote]

You''ve said it yourself BigFish.  On the field we are lower mid-table championship.  Off it we have the capacity to be top six or lower Prem.  Therefore we are underachieving, shrinking or whatever word you want to use.  Let''s not get bogged down in semantics.

Three seasons in the past six years either in a playoff final, promoted or in the Prem are, by definition, not "exception seasons". 

We are at a crucial turning point.  If we settle for mid-table mediocrity that''s exactly what we will get, if we are lucky.  We the fans shouldn''t have to be constantly pressuring the board towards fulfilling our potential, but if we don''t who will? 

[quote user="BigFish"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="BigFish"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

I''m getting so fed up.

[st]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

BigFish.

OTBC

[/quote]

No it is not.

So what was your point again?

[/quote]

And it seems the board are starting to reap the benifits of constantly playing down the potential of Norwich with your comment mate, the first line says it all!

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

And it seems the board are starting to reap the benifits of constantly playing down the potential of Norwich with your comment mate, the first line says it all!

[/quote]

Arthur - what potential? The ground is already full so that would need expanding to increase gate receipts (unless the board ramp up ticket prices) and the board would get crucified for spending on bricks and mortar. What you see is what you get with the team and the coffers are empty.

Now you may question how we got here, but in terms of potential. Dream on!

What might just work though if we got behind the team team, got a bit of luck and with committment from the players we might just do something!

OTBC

[quote user="BigFish"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[/quote]

Arthur - what potential? The ground is already full so that would need expanding to increase gate receipts (unless the board ramp up ticket prices) and the board would get crucified for spending on bricks and mortar. What you see is what you get with the team and the coffers are empty.

What might just work though if we got behind the team team, got a bit of luck and with committment from the players we might just do something!

OTBC

[/quote]

Bigfish, I think Arthur was referring to FOOTBALL potential - you know, that game where 22 grown men run after an inflated pig''s bladder . . .

Any comments on my reply to your previous post?  Thought not . . .

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

Now this post really does explain a lot of things.

Where have you  been all our lives?

Talk about little englanders - content with soggy fish and chips from the market and happy to doff their hats to their ''betters'' until they win a jackpot.

You are proving my point.

BigFish likes a little pond?[;)]

Carry on MacCodswallop.[:)]

OTBC

[quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="BigFish"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

Bigfish, I think Arthur was referring to FOOTBALL potential - you know, that game where 22 grown men run after an inflated pig''s bladder . . .

[/quote]

Do you really think that Arthur was talking about football potential. Unbelievable [:O]. Why blame the board then? I know, I know, they put up up the cash to make things happen and with 10 players coming in you can''t say the effort hasn''t been put in. Should they put more cash in, risk the club for the chance to speculate to accumulate?. Football is fickle, they could have splashed the cash and as we have seen with Smith get nothing back.

[quote user="mystic megson"]

Three seasons in the past six years either in a playoff final, promoted or in the Prem are, by definition, not "exception seasons". 

[/quote]

I thought I did answer this point relatively coherently, but obviously not clear enough for you. You only chose the last six years conviently avoiding the barren period since we dropped out of the Prem the first time - so one succesful season and one near miss out of 12 are really the exception rather than the rule. 

[quote user="BigFish"][quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="BigFish"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

Do you really think that Arthur was talking about football potential. Unbelievable [:O]. Why blame the board then? I know, I know, they put up up the cash to make things happen and with 10 players coming in you can''t say the effort hasn''t been put in. Should they put more cash in, risk the club for the chance to speculate to accumulate?. Football is fickle, they could have splashed the cash and as we have seen with Smith get nothing back.

[/quote]

I thought I did answer this point relatively coherently, but obviously not clear enough for you. You only chose the last six years conviently avoiding the barren period since we dropped out of the Prem the first time - so one succesful season and one near miss out of 12 are really the exception rather than the rule. 

[/quote]

Well yes i was actually. Eveything is in place apart from the investment into the football TEAM. Its not bloody rocket science, go down to CR on a sat and see all the wonderful facilitys and full stadia and then walk away p@?!ed off at yet anougher average performance!

[quote user="BigFish"][quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="BigFish"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well Bigfish, i`m sure what Arthur was really referring to was City`s potential to sell more executive suites and prawn sandwiches as it seems that to you and your ilk that is what we should be most concerned about.....

In terms of the new signings, if you look at it in the context of the dramatic decline on the pitch over three seasons and the struggle to even put out 11 pro`s at times last season (and subsequent flirt with the relegation places), i think they can be viewed as a desperate neccessity to avoid a further catastrophic decline rather than an ambitious push for improvement.

At the end of the day if we accept that NCFC is a business, we have to accept that it is failing (and in many respects "shrinking") in regards to its main reason for existing-to run a successful football team. It is however succeeding in selling out the ground and making very large profits-and wastefully large tax payments. Do you honestly believe that the latter is more important than the former?

If our Board et al are failing and not offering us, the fans, a successful football team. then we are but one of about 87 other clubs in England whose fans could level the same accusations at their boards.

Tottenham could finish 5th in the Prem this season and their fans would consider that as much a failure as some of ours would not winning the Championship this season.

Yet fans of Charlton, Watford, Wolves, Sheffield United, Southampton, us...plus a few others, are all expecting the same things this season, if and when they fail to deliver, their boards are seen to have not suceeded, then the calls for swift change and new investment, players, whatever, will swarm all over their messageboards, just as this one in infested thus.

Shouldn''t a successful football team be built on a successful business in the first place?

Leeds had a great team for a couple of years, but the business behind it was shoddy and falling apart in every conceivable way.

We seem to see having a successful team, big name players, and ambition to match as being a "right", so do all of those other teams mentioned. So its a competititve market out there and not so easy, therefore, to just think the club can decide "oh lets be successful" and for things to carry on from there.

The Smith haters can rest assured that Delia Smith and Michael Wynn-Jones'' tenure of control at the club is drawing to a close, as it is, and further signs of that will be evident towards the end of this season, no matter what happens between now and then.

[quote user="BigFish"]

[/quote]

I didn''t "conveniently" avoid the 1996-2001 period.  What happened recently is more relevant to the present than what happened longer ago.  But if you''d like to go back further, why stop at ten years?  15, 20, 30, 40 if you like.  

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

If our Board et al are failing and not offering us, the fans, a successful football team. then we are but one of about 87 other clubs in England whose fans could level the same accusations at their boards.

Tottenham could finish 5th in the Prem this season and their fans would consider that as much a failure as some of ours would not winning the Championship this season.

Yet fans of Charlton, Watford, Wolves, Sheffield United, Southampton, us...plus a few others, are all expecting the same things this season, if and when they fail to deliver, their boards are seen to have not suceeded, then the calls for swift change and new investment, players, whatever, will swarm all over their messageboards, just as this one in infested thus.

Shouldn''t a successful football team be built on a successful business in the first place?

Leeds had a great team for a couple of years, but the business behind it was shoddy and falling apart in every conceivable way.

We seem to see having a successful team, big name players, and ambition to match as being a "right", so do all of those other teams mentioned. So its a competititve market out there and not so easy, therefore, to just think the club can decide "oh lets be successful" and for things to carry on from there.

The Smith haters can rest assured that Delia Smith and Michael Wynn-Jones'' tenure of control at the club is drawing to a close, as it is, and further signs of that will be evident towards the end of this season, no matter what happens between now and then.

[/quote]You talk as though all the clubs are some lumpen mass competing on an even playing field. Norwich city has had the benefit of 2 years parachute payments and the sixteenth biggest average home gate in Englich football. why cant we expect more than fans of Lincoln or Colchester?  

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

[/quote]

People don''t hate the Smiths. It is more that they are overstaying their welcome.

And, most importantly, they have ultimately failed in their turn at the wheel in steering the club to sustainable success on the field. Although I''m sure that most people appreciate the fact that they have tried 

In the end, it''s brutally simple really. They''ve failed.

Failed leaders either recognise that fact and move on, or get pushed out on a tide of popular opposition.

One hopes that they will organise their withdrawal before the potential for an unpleasant confrontation develops.

One further hopes that they lead the ownership change better than they have led the club through their football policies and management choices over the past 10-12 years.

It''s tough at the top, but then higher the monkey climbs........................

One love.

OTBC

Our performances on the field this season and the latest NCFC accounts are simply further evidence that our once proud club is shrinking away before our eyes.

A rescue effort has to be organised somehow.

Heeeeeeeeeeelpp.

OTBC

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

but how long is the ground going to remain full, remember alot of people who brought season tickets were told there would be no sales, yet its a matter of opinion, three of our best players were sold, with replacements who are not up to it. You can fool some of the people, but believe they will wise up and the crowds will tumble and you dont need a crystal ball to see that.