Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Rider

Stiff legs!!

The current and future midfield problems concern me what with Smith and now Fozzy facing lengthy layoffs and the fitness (or lack of) re Brellier.

Is it just me or do others agree that Rusty looked far better than Brellier last week yet Grant seems to bracket both together by saying .....''they couldn''t get their legs going''! Brellier certainly couldn''t but I thought Rusty looked ok. Another reason given is their ....''late arrival''. Again with Rusty that''s true but Brellier signed on 3rd July so he has had 5 weeks pre-season before the kick off! I know he picked up a thigh injury so that must have held him back but the fact that he has (again) not trained this week does concern me.

For replacement I would play either Spillane or Rossi Jarvis - both can get stuck in and could play a more competitive midfield role than Chris Martin who looks favourite to start?

Murray is another option but it seems to me that all the hype about Grant giving our youngsters chances late last season is rapidly evaporating. From a financial point of view we cannot keep ''buying'' players (even if on a free) when we MAY have boys here eager and able to play in the first team. Although I didn''t see the game I heard that Spillane had a great game away at Leicester (or part of the game anyway) so why has he now disappeared?

I know we only played Luton reserves on tuesday, but I went to the game and I was blown away by the quality of the whole team.  The back four was reasonably solid but midfield and upfront really caught my eye. 

Martin and Rossi Jarvis were quality in the centre.  Both were strong runners with the ball and dictated the pace of the game, with Martin especially extremely skillful.  Smart showed no fear, running at and beating his men at will...his final ball isn''t always the best but thats going to get better with experience.

Up front Dave looked a bit bewildered at times but you can see the quality is there.  Ryan Jarvis was great, very composed on the ball and got himself in some great positions.

Which does beggar the question - why aren''t some of them warrented a chance?  I reckon some of the above - def Martin and the Jarvis''s - should be given a go in the league cup games at the very least.