Sign in to follow this  
Lord Horn

38th Anniversary

Just realised that today is the 38th Anniversary of the first ever Norwich away game that I attended - away to Leicester City.  A 3-0 defeat but perhaps it saved me from a severe post-match kicking!  Since then I have seen City play at 51 different grounds in this country (not including Wembley and the Millennium Stadium) and at Arnhem and Milan on the continent.  Anyone else got any memories of their first ever away game?  I''m sure there''s many on here that go back further than what I do.  Leicester away in 1969 was about as much fun as Basra on a good day!  Yet I still keep going to away games - sad git or what???

mine was against sheffield wednesday - wen won 5-0 - and my favorite player at the time (darren kenton) scored 2! so it was a gr8 day! since then ive been to about 23 grounds that i can remember ... but im only 15 .. not a bad effort if u ask me :)

Mine was also Sheffield Wednesday but in Jan ''99 when we lost 4-1 in the FA Cup to a then Premiership Sheff Wed, Iwan scored the consolation!

Remember being a bit un-nerved at how bl**dy steep the stand at Hillsborough we were sat in was, top tier!

[quote user="ipswichrscum"]mine was against sheffield wednesday - wen won 5-0 - and my favorite player at the time (darren kenton) scored 2! so it was a gr8 day! since then ive been to about 23 grounds that i can remember ... but im only 15 .. not a bad effort if u ask me :)[/quote]

Excellent effort I agree - keep up the good work - all us long toothed sad old gits need the younger generation to follow in our deranged footsteps! 

My first away game was Grimsby 1985 Milk Cup 1/4 Finals.  Sitting around on the coach at Ambassador Coach Park Vulcan Road to see if the game was going to be played.  Then making the ''exciting'' journey up to grimsby (tongue in cheek)

I have to say the conditions in which the game were played would not be allowed today, with Chris Wood getting pelted by snowballs from the Grimsby Terrace, all this excitment for a 12 year old.  Never to be forgotton

My first away game, how could I ever forget?  FA Cup 4th round 1967 at Old Trafford against the Man U team that went on to win the European Cup - Charlton, Best, Law, Stiles, Crerand & Co.  Special trains to Manchester, 63,000+ packed on the terraces, 2-1 to City. 

Strangely i can''t remember my first game.

Would of been at home to newcastle I would think, with my dad and older brother both being geordies (moved down here before i was born) those were the games I got taken too.

Brother had a good go at converting me to the black and white, spent a lot of weekends travelling to see Newcastle, a lot of it was during their ''dark days'' had some real fun, and it was a learning experience for a young lad standing amongst some very passionate fans at places like the old den!

Lucklily for me both are firm believers in supporting your local team and although my old man did try and say Ipswich was the closest team to us in Beccles, my brother corrected him and it''s been city ever since. I think by that point i''d already decided on city, but was just looking for ''permission'' to buck the family trend i suppose!

My first away game was at the new den, first game of the season and we got hammered 4-0 by Millwall.

Talking of the new Den, my first away game was at the Old Den in the appropriately named Cold Blow Lane in our promotion year 1971. Absolute mayhem before the game and after when Millwall had a nice line in attacking away fans all the way back to Liverpool Street! And we lost 2-1. I still shudder at the thought.

[quote user="kneeelo 74"]

My first away game was Grimsby 1985 Milk Cup 1/4 Finals.  Sitting around on the coach at Ambassador Coach Park Vulcan Road to see if the game was going to be played.  Then making the ''exciting'' journey up to grimsby (tongue in cheek)

I have to say the conditions in which the game were played would not be allowed today, with Chris Wood getting pelted by snowballs from the Grimsby Terrace, all this excitment for a 12 year old.  Never to be forgotton

[/quote]

Yes, I remember that one well - I don''t think that the game was definitely declared on until we''d reached the famous ''Farm Shop'' on the A17.  Do you remember the guy in the Pink Panther suit who spent all his time up the perimeter fencing?  Tremendous atmosphere and great away support given the appalling weather.

Swindon away in ''87 .I think it was a bore draw and i ended up playing football in the bar with empty cups! I was all of 4, probably kitted out head to toe in the kit not forgetting shin pads hoping we were short!

Thanks for this - it was also my first away game.

I was only 8 but I have vague memories of Andy Lockhead and Rodney Fern playing for Leicester.  Was Allan Clarke playing or had he already gone to Leeds?

Leicester got promoted that year.

My first away game was Wolves in the FA Cup 3rd round of 1971. We lost 5-1 but didn''t play as badly as that scoreline suggests. It was a transitional season when Ron Saunders was beginning to get his team together before our promotion the next year. Wolves were a good side then and I remember that they had Derek Dougan and Bobby Gould up front who were awesome that day.

My first ever home game was Sheffield Wednesday in the 5th Round of the cup in 1967 the round after Mystics first away game at Old Trafford. It was a full 4 years later that I went to my first away game at Wolves because I had to wait until I was old enough to go with my mates. I remember going on Mascot Coaches from Bell Avenue. It was the first of so many, the next one being Hull tomorrow. This is a cracking thread, I went to many of the games other posters went to as their first, great memories!

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 24/08/2007 8:14 PM:

My first away game was Wolves in the FA Cup 3rd round of 1971. We lost 5-1 but didn''t play as badly as that scoreline suggests. It was a transitional season when Ron Saunders was beginning to get his team together before our promotion the next year. Wolves were a good side then and I remember that they had Derek Dougan and Bobby Gould up front who were awesome that day.

My first ever home game was Sheffield Wednesday in the 5th Round of the cup in 1967 the round after Mystics first away game at Old Trafford. It was a full 4 years later that I went to my first away game at Wolves because I had to wait until I was old enough to go with my mates. I remember going on Mascot Coaches from Bell Avenue. It was the first of so many, the next one being Hull tomorrow. This is a cracking thread, I went to many of the games other posters went to as their first, great memories!

Following on from the thread, I have already mentioned my first away game being Grimsby in the Milk Cup 1985, my first home game was a certain Norwich 3 Liverpool 5, with the Fashanu goal of the season, I also remember my dad getting home and shouting to my mum ''THAT IS WHY I GO TO FOOTBALL'', cant remember much about the game but it must of been a cracker even though we lost

Portman Road circa ''62 cup replay age about 13. Lost my ticket for the home game at Carrow Road (found it in a drawer about a week later) so missed the match. My mum came and dragged me out of school as some Scum supporting friends offered to take me to the replay. Taunted me all the way down to Ipswich. Guess what we won 2 - 1. I ran through Ipswich swinging my rattle and waving my scarf would I dare do it today? Of course I would even at 59!

my first game was the play off final in 2003 (correct me if im wrong about the date) which means that my first season was the season before we went up as champions. I was 11 and birmingham in cardiff was my first ever match i ever attended.