Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Ink

BOOO! The Binners are top of the league.

Leading 1-0 againt Cripple Alice with a few minutes left. Who''d have thought it? With their lack of summer activity I reckoned they would be near the bottom of league this year.

There''s rather a long time to go yet - am pretty sure Luton and Leeds had a reasonable start last time and look what happened to them!  Is interesting that even after only 3 games there is no side with a 100% record, to me that shows just how open it will be this year...

Im even more concerned about our situation. Ipswichs center back De Vos controlled the palace strikers with ease. At points during the match the scum were singing ''whos the sh*t of anglia? Norwich'' im starting to agree. They played great stuff at time, and Danny Haynes highlights the great academy they have Oh well we have a HOTEL   

I noticed PG in the crowd enjoying the sunshine, scouting the way Palace were playing away from home i would have thought. He was sitting in front of Steve Bruce - lets hope he turned round during the game and asked whether he had anyone he could possibly loan us????

[quote user="Peter Grunt"]

Leading 1-0 againt Cripple Alice with a few minutes left. Who''d have thought it? With their lack of summer activity I reckoned they would be near the bottom of league this year.

[/quote]Ipswich spent most of last season blooding in there youngsters, they are ready for life in this division.Meanwhile what has happened to our youngsters!!!!!!!!!GRANT OUT

As much as it hurts to say it our neighbours pass the ball well and run intelligently off the ball unfortunately we are still at the point of hoof it high and hope. Until we start passing the ball on the ground with intelligent off the ball running we will struggle.

It was noticeable in the last England game that for both sides when high balls were played into the area 75% of the time possession is lost (surely coaching staff must notice this) and when headers are won they don''t always go to your team mates.

We need to start passing from defence to  midfield forward unfortunately we have three separate units defence, midfield and forwards with little or no link up.  I know it is early days and hopefully our new players will gel but at the moment we seem to be too preoccupied with what the oppostion will throw at us rather than what we can do to them.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]There''s rather a long time to go yet - am pretty sure Luton and Leeds had a reasonable start last time and look what happened to them!  Is interesting that even after only 3 games there is no side with a 100% record, to me that shows just how open it will be this year...[/quote]

Yes there is - over forty games in fact!

We also had a very good start last year remember - then look what happened [:@]

And their manager is Irish too [;)]

[quote user="C.T"]

Im even more concerned about our situation. Ipswichs center back De Vos controlled the palace strikers with ease. At points during the match the scum were singing ''whos the sh*t of anglia? Norwich'' im starting to agree. They played great stuff at time, and Danny Haynes highlights the great academy they have Oh well we have a HOTEL   

[/quote]

Are you for real? There seems to be a fashion on here to call posters "binner" if they are of a different point of view but you seem to be owning up first?

It''s amazing to think that for all Ipswich''s financial problems (and they are worse than ours) they can still play football as it''s meant to be played. 

Perhaps we are a few years behind them in this respect, also they have stuck with their youth policy while we have stagnated the past three years or so (pre Grant) and getting in a quick fix journeyman to fill gaps.

I am quite hopeful that PG is more of a youth product manager than NW was and within a couple of seasons will change our present hit and hope disjointed style as you have described so well Ridgeman.  Also we are as you say waiting for the other team to do what they are wanting to do rather than get in there and dicate play.  This has been the case for quite a while.  The continuation of our own youth policy and the getting back to playing neat attacking football on the ground has to be at the forefront of Grant and co''s tactical thinking.  Also, PG, please get to grips with the centre back partnership.  Alarm bells are already ringing on this one.

2 of their 3 games have been at home as well which also will have helped them in comparison to teams who have had 2 away games

nutty nigel i am not owning up to being a scummer BECAUSE I AM NOT ONE! Ipswich pass the ball better and have a better defence which is why i said im starting to agree. I have a season ticket with norwich NOT IPSWICH I have every norwich shirt from the last four seasons but if that makes me a scummer then so be it. I have criticised the norwich  city team in this post like other posters do however they arent branded scummers why?

[quote user="Cobain18"]2 of their 3 games have been at home as well which also will have helped them in comparison to teams who have had 2 away games[/quote]

And one of our aways games was to Preston in which we struggled to get a draw. The same Preston that was stuffed three nil this weekend by Colchester. So what is your point.

The binners have won two home league games and have been dumped out of the Carling Cup. It is also worth pointing out that none of yesterday''s starting line up were a result of their academy setup.

[quote user="Grumpy "]

[quote user="Cobain18"]2 of their 3 games have been at home as well which also will have helped them in comparison to teams who have had 2 away games[/quote]

And one of our aways games was to Preston in which we struggled to get a draw. The same Preston that was stuffed three nil this weekend by Colchester. So what is your point.

[/quote]

My point is that we have won our home game - if we had had two home games we may have won both. - so as I said in my other post, playing 2 games at home is an advantage to having played 2 games away

[quote user="Intenso"]

The binners have won two home league games and have been dumped out of the Carling Cup. It is also worth pointing out that none of yesterday''s starting line up were a result of their academy setup.

[/quote]

Owen Garvan came though there youth academy and looks an awesome player, doubt they can hold on to him for long.

Not sure why people are making so much of Preston getting hammered by Colchester and we could only get a draw there. I mean, it''s not as if everyone''s making a fuss because we beat Southampton last week, and they promptly went and beat Stoke on Saturday who previously had a 100% record, is it?

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Not sure why people are making so much of Preston getting hammered by Colchester and we could only get a draw there. I mean, it''s not as if everyone''s making a fuss because we beat Southampton last week, and they promptly went and beat Stoke on Saturday who previously had a 100% record, is it?[/quote]

It''s all right Graham.  We can take the publicity - we don''t get much aside from the East Anglian Daily Times and the Colchester Evening Gazette.

I''m absolutely thrilled with our squad this year (and yes, two Academy players on the pitch and two on the bench on Saturday).  We don''t have a star, apart from The Man With The Bus Pass, but I believe they can keep us in the Championship this season.  I am happy with our defence and midfield and when Balogh is fit I think he''ll be a fine centre half. (I am working on the basis that if he''s good enough for the Hungarian national squad, he''s possibly good enough for Layer Road).

Teddy has transformed the dressing room which was very low with our losses during the close season but he and our Manager have turned that round in my opinion.  Early days but I feel confident in saying that. 

C.T - "At points during the match the scum were singing ''whos the sh*t of anglia? Norwich'' im starting to agree." was the reason I suggested what I did. If I am wrong mate then I apologise but it just seemed a strange thing for a Norwich Fan to post.

Whether they pass the ball better than us or their defence is better than ours is a matter of opinion I guess. The stats are pretty inconclusive on the defences. They have played 2 at home and 1 away conceding 2 goals and we have played 2 away and 1 at home and conceding 3. I would suggest the defences are pretty much the same over the 3 games. They also conceded 3 goals against MK Dons whilst we only conceded 2 against Barnet. I have no idea if they pass the ball better because I havent seen them play.

You are right C.T plenty of posters have used our rivals to criticise our team on this thread. I should have ignored it I guess but I never can. To me using that lot as a stick to beat the club is only one step up from cheering opposition goals at Carrow Road. Especially when some of the stuff posted seems to have been made up.

Here are some more facts to consider against some of the opinions on this thread. The only product from their youth academy in their starting eleven yesterday was Owen Garvan - We had Jason Shackell in our starting eleven the previous day. Miller is a product of their youth system who has returned to the club - We had Cureton, Dublin and Russell who have returned to ours. On the bench they had their young goalkeeper Supple who won''t get any better keeping the bench warm - Joe Lewis is playing for Morecombe gaining valuable experience in competetive games. They had Danny Haynes who for some reason posters on here seem to rate higher than Chris Martin who was on ours. They had a couple of other youngsters on the bench - where we had Dion Dublin, Luke Chadwick and Strihavka. If we have quick fix journeymen then what on earth are Legwinsky, Counago, Lee, Wright, Alexander and Harding??

I can''t believe some of the posts on this thread just because we lost our first game at Hull. We may go on to win the rest of our games and be Champions or we may lose the rest and get relegated. The reality is somewhere between those two extremes but whatever this season brings we will always be better than that lot down the road.

Everything looks set fair for another mediocre mid-table (or worse!) finish again this season. Dion sounded just as frustrated and annoyed as me after Saturday''s feeble effort. I can''t paraphrase his comments, but he said something along the lines of : Norwich is a big club and the fans deserve far better than this rubbish. I couldn''t agree more. I just hope that PG starts to put things right before it''s too late. NO, I don''t expect to win every game, but I do expect the eleven on the pitch to try their darndest to win every time they cross that white line. From the reports I''ve heard, it sounds as though we were way short of a 100% commited performance. What tripe!

And with Ipswich playing like a team with passion and far more skill than we have (did you see how they passed the ball it was awesome!!) it looks like another season as the lowliest championship club in East Anglia :(

Though we would at least out perform Colchester but they look far better than I expected too...

PG OUT !!!!

[quote user="paul"]

And with Ipswich playing like a team with passion and far more skill than we have (did you see how they passed the ball it was awesome!!) it looks like another season as the lowliest championship club in East Anglia :(

Though we would at least out perform Colchester but they look far better than I expected too...

PG OUT !!!!

[/quote]

Go back to Portaloo Road you imposter...

[quote user="paul"]

PG OUT !!!!

[/quote]

Colchester are playing with passion and committment and I believe we have a very good squad of players this year. Some very unselfish playing going on.  Leaving aside Preston (a bonus against a down-and-out team at the moment, Chairman quit today, Manager to get rid of dressing room troublemakers), I was much more impressed with away to The Blades, coming back from a goal down twice and the 10-man effort against The Combined Barnsley/Referee XI.

I think we can stay in the Championship and avoid Second Season Syndrome and while we will give respect to both Norwich and Ipswich (and everyone else) I honestly don''t think we will fear anyone while the team spirit is as it is.  We look forward to playing both of you.

Preston were not a walkover for us, by the way, bombarding us with crosses in the first half and only some brilliant defending kept them out.  Connolly on loan from Arsenal is an old head on young shoulders.  We had a half knackered keeper who could barely walk three weeks ago but he came for everything, dropped a few but recovered, but took a lot of pressure off his defenders who did the rest with some great saving tackles.  I can see why Connolly was made the captain of Arsenal Reserves at the age of 20!

I hope there will be entertaining football from all three "East Anglians" this season.  Good luck to us all and may we stay injury free as much as possible.