Sign in to follow this  
Stevie Wonder

A need for realism!

After the first 2 weeks we have seen the full range of emotions on this board from those who went a little overboard after the first 3 games to those inevitable knee jerk reactions to our first defeat.

In my view this season will be one of consolidation and we will have to expect something of a roller coaster. There are numerous things that we need to consider;

1. We have signed 9 new players in the close season in addition to the 4 players signed in the Jan (of which only Lappin was a regular last year). Therefore, only Drury, Shacks, Doc, Hux & Croft of the current squad were playing this time last year. It will probably take until Xmas for the team to bed in.
  2. Of these 13 new players history tells you that some will not be successful (probably 4 of them) and some may take a year or so to bed in.
  3. Whilst the squad is undoubtedly stronger than last year I still feel we are a little light on quality. The 4 games this year have emphasised yet again the importance of Huckerby. We have struggled to create much apart from 30 mins against Barnet. Very little has been created in the 2 away games and nothing was created against Soton until they gave us a free kick with the back pass incident. We are a bit unlucky in that our 3 most creative players are all injured at the moment.
  4. A new centre half is an absolute must.
  5. An attacking midfielder is also a priority. Apart from Cureton I struggle to see where all the goals will come from (apart from DD it would seem!!). None of our other strikers or midfielders have overly prolific records and none of our back 4 ever look like scoring!

What we need to ensure is that we stay in touch with the top 6 over the first half of the season whilst the team hopefully gels and we can get another couple of decent players in. Then perhaps we can push on in the second half of the season. One thing is for certain, we will need better luck with injuries particularly to our better players.

Any team needs time to gel, Sunderland had a lot of upheaval at the start of last season and look what happened to them as the team started to settle down and get a few games under their belt - they were after all bottom for ages!

The reality is that our first team met its match this evening...

91st in the League, Rochdale.

Many of the players we have on board are than that, but Grant can''t manage ''em.

How many more times Sunderland sacked their manager and spent lots of money thats what turned their season around . I dont know about keeping in touch with the top 6 i will be thankful if we keep out of the bottom 6 , really dont think theres many in the Championship as poor as us.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

[quote user="Peter Grunt"]Realism is...I hate to say....we are rubbish[/quote]

Based on what? 3 games 4 pts? 2 cup games 2 wins? Tell me....im all ears.....

[/quote]

Being outplayed by Preston, Southampton, Barnet (for 50 minutes), Hull and now Rochdale! Need I go on?

Yes do go on, especially as you are completely idiotic!

What is football all about? Winning is what it is about and the team won tonight, so lets have more encouragement for them.

It may have been a struggle but that is utterly irrelevant, they won, so lets be supportive.

[/quote]120 minutes against the leaugues bottom club. a lucky 1-1 draw. And still people are happy.

With comments like that, I think the flames are unnecessary in your avatar....

Actually Charlies dad, Dagenham and Redbridge are bottom, it was not a LUCKY 1-1 draw (yes i admit first half was awful but second half and extra time we were all over them. PS Leagues is spelt like that [:P]

Derby 2-2 Blackpool (Blackpool win 7-6 on penalties)

Milton Keynes Dons 2-3 Sheff Utd (After Extra Time)

Sheff Wed 2-1 Hartlepool (After Extra Time)

Swansea 0-1 Reading (After Extra Time)

Wolverhampton 1-3 Morecambe (After Extra Time)

It appears League 1 / League 2 standard isn''t as low as you disillusioned fans make out.

"WE DIDN''T WIN 9-0 . WE ARE THE WORST CLUB IN HISTORY"

etc etc. [S]

Worst case scenario from last night we are a bit better than Stoke (who for those who pay no attention) were taken to penalties by Rochdale and lost. Or on the same kind of level of thought   a bit better than Wigan who lost 1-0 to Hull, same goal diff as our game with Hull on Saturday But we were away Wigan were at home. We had a injury hit team with some unfit players out there giving their best, so I suggest Peter Grunt, Cluck, Smudger, Ronbol, Ronbol think a bit deeper than whats on the surface before slagging the team of yet again as you are all a disgrace to the supporters of our team. I have a theroy that you might have all had trials with the club and failed so have mounted a hate  campaign against the club.

[quote user="geo374"]

What is football all about? Winning is what it is about and the team won tonight, so lets have more encouragement for them.

It may have been a struggle but that is utterly irrelevant, they won, so lets be supportive.

[/quote]

The team did win yes, and had I been there I would have been cheering like hell to encourage the team, as I do during all home games I can get too (work travel commitments means I miss a few). I would never boo or slate the team at a match, but there is no getting away from it. As a team we were rubbish. These message boards are about discussion and differing views. You can keep your rose tinted specs on and I will not criticise that, but IMO we should have really had a comfortable win against any league 2 side with the strong side we fielded. I stick by my my view, we were rubbish, and compared with what we were hoping for this season, the majority of games this season have also had poor performances (despite the draw, win, 4 points, blah blah blah).

I keep on repeating this, performances may be a worry but at the end of the day, if we win, we win. Please, football is about success, not about quality. I would love to see us win every game in style but if for a while we scrap in a competitive league and take as many wins in that fashion as possible. Remember most of the critisisms during our Premiership season? We played some excellent football, but lacked the fight to take games. I expect many of you would have prefered scrappy wins rather than playing easy-on-the-eye performances but still falling short. If so we could''ve survived that season. SO stop it with the performance-slating, many championship clubs didn''t perform to their standard last night (as proven in a previous post). So why not be quiet until we a decent amount into the season, then we can all evaluate where we in terms of the season ahead. There are 43 games to go for crying out loud! 1 defeat, oh tragedy, get Grant out etc etc please you guys nay saying Norwich, get behind the team and have a little bit of faith. Do any of you know whats going on behind the scenes? No? What a surprise. Let PG do his stuff, you do yours and thats get behind the team. The team are suffering through injuries and what have you, so last night wasn''t a disgrace. But we do need to get the team rallied for the weekend. Hucks is back, Rusty is looking good, Semmy is playing well and Marshall is a bargain (if compared to £9m Gordon). So there are positives, it''s just a matter of time before this all starts to click and we''ll be a force I honestly do believe. We have no need to fear anyone this season, so why bother even contemplate on anything else but getting behind the team.OTBC - for life

[/quote]Performances maybe? we have been a shambles this season.............GRANT OUT

Norwich ''R'' Us, last night we put out the strongest side we had available.  Which of the Prem and Champ clubs whose results you listed did the same?  Are you sure you''re comparing like with like? 

At times already this season I have been excited, angry, disappointed, exasperated and depressed. I am pleased we are into the next round of the cup but whoever we face in that competition or in the league, who will really be afraid to play us? Who will quake in fear? Every supporter of whatever club I am sure will in every prediction league, put their team down to beat us home or away. Teams must be lining up to play us!

The team appears to be no better than what was churned out last year (or the year before that!) I really do hope Grant has a plan and strategy and I am prepared to wait until next season to see how things materialise. But surely, I still have a right to let off steam and let my feelings show!

[/quote]Performances

[quote user="geo374"]

[/quote]

I agree with your comment football is all about winning, but not to be reduced to  a penalty shot out with  a team  one from bottom of the second division. It was a p*** poor performance against, with all due respect, a p*** poor team. 

Football is about good performances that lead to wins .... its called entertainment.If its all about the results just cut to the penalties.... sod the game

4 points registered early on from games v Preston, Southampton, and Hull... 1 point from a play off position, two home ties coming up... Huckerby and Smith coming back from injury... promise of new players coming in... signs that even though we''re not playing well we''re STILL picking up points and winning cup games... Lewis doing great at Morcombe and showing his quality... Ossy looks a class right back... Cureton''s been great... Brown and Fotheringham (sigh) looked like new players... Dave Striker has impressed me.. Brellier and Murray are only going to get stronger as they build up fitness... Marshall has been excellent for the most part...

Win our next two games at CR and suddenly those who bitch about the situation will be saying how wonderful Grant is!

To many boo boys on this forum for my liking.

Mr Starr

The way you word it is good, and I agree it can only get better. Very few, if any, of the "boo boys" as you call it, actually do boo at matches, and the vast majority of "boo boys" posting recently do not and have not criticised Grant very much. Most of the dicussion is regarding poor performances, and why they have been so poor. You admit we have not played well, and that is the problem in hand the "boo boys" are trying to address. Personally I feel his starting 11 have not been correct all the time, but I love his honesty and passion, after suffering years of NW''s bulls###. We have been lucky so far to get 4 points, and if we get 6 from the next 2 games, then yes, maybe our fears are unfounded. But performances will have to improve if we are to get those 6 points, that is for sure.

And whats wrong with Iraq?

.....Hot sunny weather, vibrant locals always ''excited'' to see ''visitors'' to their homeland.

[quote user="ricky knight"]Blimey Mr Starr you should work in the CR box office, with spin like that you could sell package holidays in Iraq[/quote]Doomcaster would refuse to pay my wage demand lool!