Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

Wow this is shocking really... Sevilla's Puerta dies

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_2691349,00.html

Such a shame... his collapse is on youtube, he appeared to fall to his knees, then collapse... they brought him round on the spot and he walked off the pitch only to collapse again in the dressing room moments later... he died today... it''s Vivien Foe all over again. Horrible, just horrible!

Isn''t it the same thing that happened to Marc Vivien-Foe?

Poor Antonio, he was so young, i''m alway 2 years younger than him so it''s wierd to think about that sort of thing.

Hopefully he''s someplace better

RIP

[quote user="SPat"]hmm, a shame certainly. Makes me wonder about steroids to be honest. Hope that''s not the case, poor sod.[/quote]That was my initial thought... but the three cases of this... Vivien Foe, Maher, and now this all point to heat exhaustion. Viivy was playing for Cameroon, Maher was in Portugal, and Puerta was in Spain... all three were also in the Summer. So i think it could be a lack of match fitness along with extreme heat putting extra pressure on the vitals... i don''t know...

Bloody hell clive clarke collapsed for Leicester. What''s going on. This is really sad. His poor family.

Feher, and Vivien Foe died of heart defects, and it was reported that Puerta had suffered from faints before, although there is also a rumour of possible doping.

Clive Clarke collapsed on his way to the dressing room, but was recovered and taken to hospital, he is thought to be stable.thats all that has been reported so far.

Really sad. Just 22 but was a very talented footballer. Definetly had a big future and would have been a regular for Spain without doubt. His girlfriend is also 8 months pregnant so he had a bright future on and off the pitch..I follow La Liga, known of Puerta for a while, hasn''t sunk in that he''s died. He did have a heart condition and had fainted twice in the last few months though, so the signs were there.RIP Antonio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjCkuub6684

[quote user="C.T"]What is going on? 2 footballers in the last week have died (sorry if ive forgotten anybody) and now Clive Clarke has collapsed. Get well soon Clive.[/quote]

Two?

Antonio Puerta and.........who?

It''s three...

Chaswe Nsofwa, a former Zambia international, collapsed and died of heart failure during a training session with his Israeli club side, Hapoel Beersheba.

And a week before Puerta, Walsall''s 16-year-old youth-team player Anton Reid inexplicably collapsed on the training ground and died.

[quote user="Michael Starr"]

Such a shame... his collapse is on youtube, he appeared to fall to his knees, then collapse... they brought him round on the spot and he walked off the pitch only to collapse again in the dressing room moments later... he died today... it''s Vivien Foe all over again. Horrible, just horrible!

[/quote]

Reminds me a little of this footage below, of Miklos Feher - gets carded by the ref, has a laugh and joke, bends over - then dead. Unbelievably tragic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8mzeRVuDBU

[quote user="ob1"][quote user="Michael Starr"]

[/quote]

Reminds me a little of this footage below, of Miklos Feher - gets carded by the ref, has a laugh and joke, bends over - then dead. Unbelievably tragic...

[/quote]

Do we really need to have YouTube clips of footballers dying posted here?

Isn''t it a tiny bit sick?

His death is a tragedy, but I don''t need to see super slo-mo replays to tell me that.

[quote user="ob1"][quote user="Michael Starr"]

Such a shame... his collapse is on youtu0W, he appeared to fall to his knees, then collapse... they brought him round on the spot and he walked off the pitch only to collapse again in the dressing room moments later... he died today... it''s Vivien Foe all over again. Horrible, just horrible!

[/quote]

[/quote]

oh my god that is horrible, don''t know why i watched it!

[quote user="Mark Rivers..."][quote user="ob1"][quote user="Michael Starr"]

Such a shame... his collapse is on youtu0W, he appeared to fall to his knees, then collapse... they brought him round on the spot and he walked off the pitch only to collapse again in the dressing room moments later... he died today... it''s Vivien Foe all over again. Horrible, just horrible!

[/quote]

[/quote]

oh my god that is horrible, don''t know why i watched it!

[/quote]

Yeah - it''s of someone actually dying... it''s not gonna be nice!

Thinking about it, I''m not sure I''ve ever seen footage of a real person dying before that... it is disturbing. Especially since 5 seconds before he is collapses he is smiling, joking and looking perfectly normal...

Was surprised to hear today that the former West Ham player Jeroen Boere (remember him?) died a couple of weeks ago in an accident in Spain. Not seen the YouTube footage of the Marc Vivien Foe death etc, am surprised YouTube get away with what they do to be honest... 

you tubes excuse is "wwe dont make people look at it" which is true.. unfortunately i guess peoples Morbid Curioosity gets the better of them.. there was a contriversial website a few years back called www.rotten.com which was in the press as it had pictures of autopsies, corpses, disfiguring injuries etc... It billed itself as an educational site and got millions of hits daily despite the fact the stuff it was showing was nothing short of hideos.. i have no idear what happened to the site, this is going back a few years so i would of hoped it would of been closed down!

They basically had a disclaimer on the front page warning people what they could expect and according to the Media reports told any potential viewrs that as a result of entering the site the administrators absolved all legal responsibility

perhaps you tube do the same?

I have to say i dont think that Youtube will last much longer on the Internet. Sooner or later they will get hit with a legal writ forcing them to close down for good.. some might say good.

jas :)

The video is shocking.  However, death is a harsh fact of life, and no that is not a contradiction. 

I have no issues of the videos being in the public domain, especially in the format of youtube where the two that I watched as a result of reading this thread were setup as a tribute to the person, in a way I suppose to celebrate their life.  What I would have an issue with would be if the family requested that they were removed and they were not. 

If people accessed the video through this thread they knew what they would be watching.

I will make no more comment on this as there is danger of the thread going off topic.

In relation to footballers dying as a result of playing football, more stringent screening would be a good idea.  But as mentioned in a link on this thread, you would not catch everyone, inexplical deaths would still happen, as they do throughout all walks of life, another harsh reality of how fragile our lives really are.  I incorrectly assumed that there were already regular cardio screening tests conducted throughout football in the UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, Holland etc.  And it appears that there is not, which I think is the most shocking thing about this whole incident, especially in this day and age and with all the money floating about the game.  This could be extended past football to other sports as well. 

Football on the whole is ''normally'' a good industry to be in.  I know careers are short, but in many European countries the conditions and pay are good.  Other so called glitzy industries in reality are normally not as glitzy as they look on the surface.  The world of ''sports entertainment'' as epitomised by WWE is one of the most notorious for working conditions.  The number of ''wrestlers'' and I use the term very losely here who die under the age of 40 is unbelievable.

If there is not a campaign for regular cardio screening in football and other sports, it would be a good idea to start one.  Saving just one life would make it worthwhile.

It appears that this is more common than originally reported, and hopefully... footage (as horrid as it is) may kick start some new specific testing and procedure... didn''t Chadwick collapse for Stoke a couple of seasons back?

Seems like i''m surrounded by heart attacks at the moment, watched my dog suddenly pass away after running around a bit in the park. Looked similar to the footballers deaths. I reckon it must just be the sun, and too much adreneline pumping, be that because of drugs, heart conditions, or sheer unluckiness with metabolism. Surely there should be a defibrilator on the sidelines of every profensional football game! My local team Harrogate town have the right idea! build the stadium next to the hospital! (well the hospital was after the stadium, but anyway!)

[quote user="Michael Starr"]didn''t Chadwick collapse for Stoke a couple of seasons back?
[/quote]

He did, through dehydration.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Seems like i''m surrounded by heart attacks at the moment, watched my dog suddenly pass away after running around a bit in the park. Looked similar to the footballers deaths. I reckon it must just be the sun, and too much adreneline pumping, be that because of drugs, heart conditions, or sheer unluckiness with metabolism. Surely there should be a defibrilator on the sidelines of every profensional football game! My local team Harrogate town have the right idea! build the stadium next to the hospital! (well the hospital was after the stadium, but anyway!)[/quote]

Agreed Jimmy.  I''m not sure if people realise how close to death Clive Clarke was the other night.  His heart had stopped and if they hadn''t had a defibrillator he would almost certainly have died. 

The fitter you are the nearer you are to injury. I wonder if our players are pushed so hard on the fitness front this is why they break down.

If we were a nation which valued technique more the necessity to compensate for the lack by constant running would be obviated.