Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Whittle

Well done PG! Grand 1st week!

Good work sir. 3 games, 7 goals, no defeats. Ok so the all round performence isnt quite good enough yet but ive seen glimpses of promise, and im sure it will come as we get further into the season. The only negative is the amount of corners we seem to be conceeding but on a plus note we are defending them well. Pg is doing a grand job so far. You could say Preston were weakened, Barnet lower league, and Southampton low in confidence, but we are un beaten and you couldnt ask for much more. Im fairly sure this team can compete for the play offs this year. Im not a big fan of his public outbursts against players but it seems to have worked with Cureton does it not? Well done Granty, keep it up my man. Lets hope the board continue to back him in the transfer market as so far, with exception of Dave Striker { yes it is early days but he looks well out of his depth, what leagues the czech league the equivelant to? } he seems to be a shrewd fella in the transfer market. I was worried by the players that went out and in but they will only get better the longer they play with each other. Good job on your 1st week PG.

well said, give Strihavka a chance though, from what i''ve seen of him he has improved a bit in every appearance, he might be able to start by the end of the season [;)]

Nice to see that you find our performances so far are encouraging Arthur, maybe a letter to the Evening News will express your new-found positivity to the county ?

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]You''ve certainly changed your tune but it is good to have you almost fully on board.[/quote]

RH ive not changed my tune at all. ive been a big fan of PG since day one and i believe we now a have a manager who is putting some much needed grit into what was imo a happy clappy family club all to concerned with being friends to all instead of a football club wanting to go places and hes done it on half the transfer kitty he''s been promised [the full amount of any sales plus kitty before said sales]. My opinion of the board is the same as ever and ive no reason to change my opinion of them whatsoever. But like i said well done PG and keep it up lad.

OTBC

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]You''ve certainly changed your tune but it is good to have you almost fully on board.[/quote]

IMO Arthur has always just expressed his views be they positive or negative. I shared alot of his concerns before the season got underway and like him have been impressed with the good start.

For me the big plusses are:-

• Jamie - everything about that signing seems ''right'' to me. Prolific so far, wants to be here, has something to prove, very little risk of premiership vultures.
  • The right-side - Croft looks fitter and sharper and now has a full-back in Semmy who will actually help him in attack by over-lapping. Once Hucks returns we should possess a genuine threat down both flanks.
  • Emergence of Fozzy - early days but looks far better than last season.
  • Strength on the bench - a list of substitutes any one of which could come on and change the game / make an impression.

I''m reserving judgement on Brown, Strihavka and Brellier but still optimistic. With Brellier, I wouldn''t be surprised if he ends up with the ''Barry Butler''.....not on Saturday''s performance but at full fitness I think he will be very important to us. Once Dave settles in and can concentrate on his football rather than adjusting to a foreign country / language, I''ve seen enough of him so far to suggest he could do a job.

Now if we can get a quality centre-back in and maybe a left-footed player who can cover wide-left and centre-mid, we''d be looking strong

Well said Arthur.

Disagree about Dave though, he''ll be fine. Showed some nice touches when he came on against Southampton and once he''s got used to the pace of the English game the goals will come.

I agree good week but still a few concerns first hour against saints bit worrying, but got the result, 2nd half Barnet was Dire, Preston dont look too clever, but hey alot to be positive about without going overboard, still see us about 12th come end of season as we are still lacking in certain areas and if Cureton picked up an injury we could struggle to score, not alot of faith in the other strikers, will be glad when Hucks gets back.

I am actually impressed with David StÅ™ihavka. I only saw him in the Vitesse game but his hold up play there was excellent, and he has been decent from what I have heard on  the radio. Dont get me wrong I think he needs to adjust a little more and will have to make do with a place on our bench again at the weekend.

But there are only so many times we can say that Brown is putting the work in but not scoring. In my opinion Brown should have half of the game against Hull, if he scores he can keep his place... if not then StÅ™ihavka should be given a few games. I think he can do well for us.

Well said Arthur, glad you can see more positives than negatives because there are at the moment.

As for Dave Striker, I haven''t made my mind up about him yet.

Yes, well said Arthur.

Its a pity Clucky, Smudgey and Ricky couldn''t make the same kind of statement though!.

Perhaps they''re still stuck in Plymouth.

Still, nice one Mr W.[:D]

I''d have taken 4 points out of 6, and a comfortable progression in the league cup last Saturday Morning at this time.  Preston and Southampton are two average sides who i believe will end the season in mid table. I see it as a positive that we''ve yet to hit 4th gear and still got 4 points, the players still need time to gel and will only get better. The fitness of some (brellier and russel) still isnt their after an injury hit and / or disrupted pre season. We''ve already seen enough of the likes of Otsemobor, cureton and marshall to know their good signings, while the improvements in croft and fozzy for example show the better stregth in depth we have. Remember, we also still have Huckerby and Smith to come back, two goalscoring players and still time to spend some more money.

Time to put a bet on Norwich finsihing in the top6!

Good, balanced and constructive post, Arthur as your opinions on Board funding do not seep into criticism of the playing side.

I agreed the Board must give Grant what he needs because it isn''t a gamble: we are only 3 short of competing for promotion. 

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Yes, well said Arthur.

Its a pity Clucky, Smudgey and Ricky couldn''t make the same kind of statement though!.

Perhaps they''re still stuck in Plymouth.

Still, nice one Mr W.[:D]

[/quote]

Read my post agreed had a good week with caution

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]

Good, balanced and constructive post, Arthur as your opinions on Board funding do not seep into criticism of the playing side.

I agreed the Board must give Grant what he needs because it isn''t a gamble: we are only 3 short of competing for promotion. 

[/quote]

Which 3 positions would you strengthen Rudy? I guess CB is a ''no-brainer'' but where else?

Grant is surfing high on the crest of an extremely fortuitous wave at this time, Arthur - but what when that wave finally crashes on the shores of reality? A reality I''ve previously suggested within this thread > http://new.pinkun.com/cs/forums/1003830/ShowPost.aspx.

I''m still extremely sceptical about Grant''s aptitude for being a quality manager - and there''s no question of my scepticism as regards to the board backing him when and where he really needs it.

Otsemober, Cureton & Russell look to be quality signings, but the usual suspects are still flailing and if we''re going to make a serious challenge for promotion then two to three additions of similar quality to the afforementioned personal is imperative - Im worried that the four lucky points garnered from uninspired opposition will stave off any much needed transfer activity before the window finally closes.

Glad to see dear old ''alf a widdle'' is heading back to the fold, the prodigal grandad perhaps ?

Shame, that amongst his endless griping about the board, he doesn''t acknowledge who actually appointed Grant or ensures that the funds he and others so regularly demand should be made available - are available.

As to what the club has and can spend we shall have to see. It is not simply a case of sending young Grant out from Carrow Road on an errand. " There you are, young fella me lad, pop down the corner shop and pick up a couple of players ".

One of the positives is the way players who were regularly slated on here have progressed. There doesn''t seem a weak spot, bar Doherty, and a team that wants to play is always a better bet than a team who can but don''t want to. Maybe those booing Doherty might wish to consider what they are trying to achieve. The club, the manager, and I would suggest the player, is aware of his failings. Might it be an idea to adopt him ''as one of our own''. He''s giving his best and is fully committed. Until he''s replaced he''ll get my full support.

We got up last time by having team unity. Lets have a bit of fan unity. Get behind the Doc, and thank him when he''s replaced (maybe with the kind of coaching and development at the club he''ll be back sharper and better).

" How does NO points out of SIX sound Cobain????  Coz in all liklihood that is what we are likley to achieve....  I may even go out on a limb here and say that we may just get a solitary point but certainly no more than that. " Smudger

Great post Arthur mate, you took the words out of my mouth.

Very impressed with Cureton, doubts about Dave though.

Good 1st week and im sure thats going to get better rather than worse. I feel a good team gelling here.

Have to point out though that i have always backed the manager and the team, that does not mean to say i have to like the board.

Good job Peter. Keep it up.

Yes a good week for Peter Grant and the Canaries. Four points has certainly exceeded my expectations. Having said that I would venture to suggest theat neither Preston nor Southampton are the forces they were last season and for long periods of the game we looked ordinary..

From my point of view the most pleasing aspects of the week were that we were able to win without Huckerby. We certainly missed him on Saturday but we were still able to put the Southampton goal under a lot of pressure in the final half hour. At 2-1 up last season we would have tried to soak up the pressure in the final minutes but on Saturday we managed to keep the ball in the Southampton half most of the time. Indeed we looked more like getting a third goal than conceeding an equaliser.

With Hucks and Smith back to fitness and with Brellier and Strihavka getting up to pace we might yet have a better season than I initially feared.

Hope springs eternal, even for us old ''uns.

Stevo asked

Which 3 positions would you strengthen Rudy? I guess CB is a ''no-brainer'' but where else?

CB of course but also RM(especialy if able to play RB when needed, as Lappin does on the left)  and a CM ball player.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Good work sir. 3 games, 7 goals, no defeats. Ok so the all round performence isnt quite good enough yet but ive seen glimpses of promise, and im sure it will come as we get further into the season. The only negative is the amount of corners we seem to be conceeding but on a plus note we are defending them well. Pg is doing a grand job so far. You could say Preston were weakened, Barnet lower league, and Southampton low in confidence, but we are un beaten and you couldnt ask for much more. Im fairly sure this team can compete for the play offs this year. Im not a big fan of his public outbursts against players but it seems to have worked with Cureton does it not? Well done Granty, keep it up my man. Lets hope the board continue to back him in the transfer market as so far, with exception of Dave Striker { yes it is early days but he looks well out of his depth, what leagues the czech league the equivelant to? } he seems to be a shrewd fella in the transfer market. I was worried by the players that went out and in but they will only get better the longer they play with each other. Good job on your 1st week PG.[/quote]

Very good post Arthur - don''t really agree with your views on Strihavka, I think he''ll be really good when he gets up to speed with the English game (give him 5 - 10 sub appearances and I think he''ll be an awesome signing.) I think your assessment is spot on though; the performance isn''t quite good enough yet and we need to work on not conceding too many corners. I think our set piece defending has also improved slightly though, Grant and Duffy must have changed a couple of things.  

Anyway just to echo your sentiments, well done Grant!

I am more than pleased with this week,when hucks comes back,smith gets fit and brellier gets up to speed we will have players fighting for places,all we really need is a new cb to put pressure on shacks and doc,this division is very average this season and imho there for the taking.I honestly think that there could be as many as 12 teams fighting for the play off right into may.Will make great viewing for sky''s last day of the season

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]Glad to see dear old ''alf a widdle'' is heading back to the fold, the prodigal grandad perhaps ?

Shame, that amongst his endless griping about the board, he doesn''t acknowledge who actually appointed Grant or ensures that the funds he and others so regularly demand should be made available - are available.

As to what the club has and can spend we shall have to see. It is not simply a case of sending young Grant out from Carrow Road on an errand. " There you are, young fella me lad, pop down the corner shop and pick up a couple of players ".

One of the positives is the way players who were regularly slated on here have progressed. There doesn''t seem a weak spot, bar Doherty, and a team that wants to play is always a better bet than a team who can but don''t want to. Maybe those booing Doherty might wish to consider what they are trying to achieve. The club, the manager, and I would suggest the player, is aware of his failings. Might it be an idea to adopt him ''as one of our own''. He''s giving his best and is fully committed. Until he''s replaced he''ll get my full support.

We got up last time by having team unity. Lets have a bit of fan unity. Get behind the Doc, and thank him when he''s replaced (maybe with the kind of coaching and development at the club he''ll be back sharper and better).

" How does NO points out of SIX sound Cobain????  Coz in all liklihood that is what we are likley to achieve....  I may even go out on a limb here and say that we may just get a solitary point but certainly no more than that. " Smudger
[/quote]

Lol, sorry I just remember this comment and am glad that the reality is and was always that we have more points