Sign in to follow this  
Cottaging Canary

Booing Doherty Today

rubbish. if "just about the whole of the Barclay booed" it would have been clearly audible to everyone. I am in E Block and heard nothing.

- Whoa! I actually said "some people around me" booed. I never said the whole ground did, but there were definitely people in my section booing him before the game.

I think it''s out of order booing Doc before the game starts, but I cannot for the life of me see how Grant persists in playing him. With all the improvements he''s made to the squad this summer, to leave our poorest and least reliable player in the centre of the defence is almost suicidal. Doherty''s touch, judgement, pace, concentration and passing are all woeful, and although I have not booed him, it is getting increasingly tempting. I really hope Grant remedies this ASAP, because over the course of the season Doherty will cost us 10-15 goals. Even against Barnet he was getting pulled all over the place, getting too tight to his man then getting turned and/or being forced to haul him down, and he picked up another booking yesterday for a similar error. In the lead-up to the Southampton goal, he miscontrolled the ball, then swiped it wildly straight to a Southampton midfielder in acres of space, then stood still with his arms in the air as the player breezed past him. There''s no room for sentimentality - yes he''s a trier, yes he''s a battler, but he''s also an appalling footballer and a liability to the team.

To those who persist in their impression that Grant can''t see our defensive weaknesses, he''s stated on at least two occasions recently that he is looking to bring in replacements. Quality centre-backs are at a premium, though, and he can''t just snap his fingers and they come running. Some might say Spillane should be given a chance, but if Grant were to put him in and he puts in a few poor shows then plenty of you out there would moan about that as well!

Booing an NCFC player is unacceptable, no matter how technically poor you feel they are, as long as they continue to give 100% to the cause.

Ok boo the board boo the manager but never ever boo a yellow and green shirt. Doc is doing his job, if you dont think he''s good enough take it up with the man who picked him or the ones who say where the moneys spent The No5 shirt is yet to be given out and Doc is playing with that hanging over his head. So back him not boo him.

FOOT BALL MUST COME FIRST

If you read my post again Lappin''s Left Foot, as well as cityangel''s reply to it, then you will see it is not ''rubbish'' but actually the truth when referring to Safri as well as Doherty. I am in D Block and I heard everything!

[quote user="Bigmarkcanary"]If you read my post again Lappin''s Left Foot, as well as cityangel''s reply to it, then you will see it is not ''rubbish'' but actually the truth when referring to Safri as well as Doherty. I am in D Block and I heard everything![/quote]

Apologies to Lappin''s Left Foot, I''ve now just realised that seat124 made that remark, so please consider my post is now directed at him/her.

[quote user="Freddy H"]

I could not hear the booing in the N&P.  Doc is always a bit in and out but does not deserve boos.

I also do not understand why Safri got as much flak as he did today.  OK he allegedly has been a pain in the butt off the field, but can we really fault his commitment on the pitch, he was Moroccan all over the world for two seasons and we loved him.  Today he put in his usual hefty challenges, which we loved when he was playing for us, suddenly he was a winker according to the Barclay.

Its time for the Barclay Boys to grow up a bit, raise the vocal levels a lot and inspire the rest of us moaning lot to sing with them in praise of our players.  Come on Barclay you were great today when we were playing well, keep singing all game and the rest of us will (eventually) follow.  Then Carra will be the cauldron of noise and intimidating for the other team and not our own players.

OTBC.

[/quote]

You can never hear anything in the N&P [;)]

[quote user="Bundy"]

If booing gets him out of the team it''s worth doing.

[/quote]

But that''s just it, it won''t get him out of the team. Look around - there''s nobody good enough to replace him at the club!!!

Booing will just undermine his confidence, and will very likely make him play even more poorly. Butt out. The manager picks the team - you don''t like it, take it up with the Granty not the player.

[quote user="SnakePitArmy"][quote user="FreddyH"]

I could not hear the booing in the N&P.  Doc is always a bit in and out but does not deserve boos.

I also do not understand why Safri got as much flak as he did today.  OK he allegedly has been a pain in the butt off the field, but can we really fault his commitment on the pitch, he was Moroccan all over the world for two seasons and we loved him.  Today he put in his usual hefty challenges, which we loved when he was playing for us, suddenly he was a winker according to the Barclay.

Its time for the Barclay Boys to grow up a bit, raise the vocal levels a lot and inspire the rest of us moaning lot to sing with them in praise of our players.  Come on Barclay you were great today when we were playing well, keep singing all game and the rest of us will (eventually) follow.  Then Carra will be the cauldron of noise and intimidating for the other team and not our own players.

OTBC.

[/quote]

You can never hear anything in the N&P [;)]

[/quote]

Owned [:P]

He maybe no Franco Baresi but booing him is disgraceful, and quite sad really. He''s not my favourite player but he''s here, pulls on the jersey and gives 110% often getting stuck in where others wouldn''t...I can''t ask for more. To the people that did boo him...Grow up.

I heard a few muffled boos where I was in the Barclay (Block E) but it was probably only 5 or 6 people.

Unfortunately if you gather together 24,000 people you''re going to get a fair proportion of idiots in there.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Jones made him look Conference standard.

[/quote]

The most ridiculous post of the season and we aren''t out of August yet!!!

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]He is still probably the weakest player in the first XI, Kenwyn Jones made him look Conference standard.[/quote]I''d venture to suggest that he makes himself look Conference standard, seeing as he had similar problems with a League Two striker on Tuesday night. It doesn''t take much to unsettle him - he can be outmuscled by big strikers, completely rinsed by players with any sort of pace and/or skill, and completely confused by the bounce of a ball even if he''s in ten yards of space. Of course he''ll always give 100% to the cause, I don''t think anyone could accuse him of not trying, but unfortunately his 100% is about 20% of what makes a quality centre half. It is absolutely imperative that he is replaced immediately - I''m sure DD could do it for a few weeks while we''re sorting out a loan player. Failing that give Spillane or Halliday a few games - even if they struggle, they''ll gain valuable experience. I know that really good centre halves don''t come cheap, but even having a half-decent Premiership loan player would be much better than keeping Doc in the side. He''s also hindering Shackell''s development - look at how well Shacks played last season when he was partnered by DD. The last piece of dead wood in an ever-improving squad needs to be cast aside!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I will point you to some highlights:

http://www.football.virginmedia.com/page/championshipvideo/0,,12555~1095211,00.html

beaton by Kenwyn jones in embarrassing fashion as he runs.  Then after some other idiot gives the ball back to jones after the corner he is embarrassed again.

Out of order highlights...  very poor.

So all in all it looks as if we had 5 or 6 idiots booing, that only one or two people heard , out of a crowd of 23,504 Norwich fans (assuming Southampton had 500 fans) and yet we have people posting on here as if it was some sort of major incident.......give me strength!!

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]So all in all it looks as if we had 5 or 6 idiots booing, that only one or two people heard , out of a crowd of 23,504 Norwich fans (assuming Southampton had 500 fans) and yet we have people posting on here as if it was some sort of major incident.......give me strength!![/quote]

Bit off topic, so apologies, but do you travel back to every game out of interest?

Re CJFs comment - He is still probably the weakest player in the first XI, Kenwyn Jones made him look Conference standard: but to put that into context, where does that leave Southampton''s new £1.2M CH given how Curo handled him. The reality is that even spending over £1M will not get us a Centre Half of  real quality. People have got pre-set opinions about Doc, and look for his errors, as he has been adopted as the new Hughes, but truthfully there is little to choose between our two Centre Backs. And so far, two Championship matches with 1 goal against is not that bad. And there will be few strikers as good as Jones playing against us this season.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Agree,the bloke behind me didn''t boo what he done was not stop moaning about the fact doc ain''t up to the job.His 10 year old son must have got sick off it so at half time i asked him what the solution to his gribes were.He replied we need a new centre back.I said maybe we do but until we get one why don''t you get behind what we have got and hope he can lift his game.He just replied cos we aren''t ever going to win with him in the team.I said didn''t we win tuesday and he played,The reply was amazing"Only just and no help from him".I honestly get the impression that no matter how well we are doing some people have got to have something to moan about.As for jones making him look conference level didn''t southampton turn down 5 mill for him last week,if so i would say cureton made him look like a £50000 player

[quote user="lobster catcher"]

As for jones making him look conference level didn''t southampton turn down 5 mill for him last week,if so i would say cureton made him look like a £50000 player

[/quote]

Totally disagree, Jones terrorised our defense.  Cureton did what he does best and applied a couple of top quality finishes, that apart he was not involved a great deal.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[quote user="lobster catcher"]

As for jones making him look conference level didn''t southampton turn down 5 mill for him last week,if so i would say cureton made him look like a £50000 player

[/quote]

Totally disagree, Jones terrorised our defense.  Cureton did what he does best and applied a couple of top quality finishes, that apart he was not involved a great deal.

[/quote]

CJF mate, with Smudger & Cluck missing are you taking up the mantle for blind criticism? Two games in and we have conceded 1 goal, we are hardly leaking at the moment. Not perfect at the back, but not bad. Truth is that some players get a bad rep and a pack instinct takes hold with some people and they get slaughtered however well they do. Equally some get a good rep and can do no wrong. Doherty can do a job at Championship level where his shortcomings are not so exposed in the same way as Malky did (I seem to remember a game against Southampton coincidently when Malky''s lack of speed meant his only approach was to "waterski" behind his nippy opponent holding his shirt until he was sent off). Southampton bought a £1m CB and it does not seem to have done them much good. Getting a premiership kid wouldn''t give us the nous at the back to match the new harder professional approach.

Grant''s approach seems to be if there isn''t anyone better we will go with what we have got. Seems sensible.

Unless you think West Ham''s sixth choice CB would be better playing with his wrong foot?

OTBC

Thing is Carrow Road is not what it was. Full of know nothings who wouldn''t have been seen near a football ground a few years back.I sit near the idiot family from planet whatever. I''ve never heard so much vacuous tosh in my life. Any drivel they''ve heard off sky is regurgitated ad naseum.Yep, I''m being a miserable old git. Yep it WAS more fun way back and yep it can be fun if a few more actually turned up to enjoy themselves.We do not have any divine right to the Premiership than a dozen or so other clubs in our division. The board is not some ''harry potter'' style bunch of baddies. In the main they are doing their best to achieve success and keep the club moving forward.It''s just a bloody shame the fans don''t always do their bit. We know Doherty''sl imitations. it''s fairly certain that a treplacement will be brought in. it has to be the right replacement (Mark Fish for the binners!). Whether that''s a long term player in the next ten days or a short term loan until the right player is available we shall have to wait and see.So in the meantime lets give the Doc a rousing cheer (even if it is a bit ironic). I remember some of Duncan Forbes''s tackles and tussles. They weren''t pretty or always effective but he summed up much about that sreason we first went up - we were all in it together.So ya whinging bass tards lets be havin ya"C''mon you Doc ! "

Now you lovely old boys and gals .What ever are you on about ?are you saying you boo City players ? Which leads me to ask the question why? In all the 50 odd years i have supported my beloved club i have never once booed a city player .I would never dream of such a thing , I would rather have a flu jab off Dr Shipman than boo a yellow and green shirt . What do you think you are going to achieve by this behaviour ? I can only shake my head at you and walk away heartbroken [:(] arrdee.

Maybe you heard me booing as I was loading my John Wark memorabilia on to my truck and hurtling along the road trying to hit a few of the wooly flock with my trusty sidekick Cluck reading the map???

CJF - Do not get me wrong, I do not condone booing of our own players, but I doubt very much that Doc heard these idiots and as usual it has been blown totally out of propotion such that it looks as if the Doc has been barracked by a sizeable proportion of the crowd when in fact it would appear only 5 or 6 people have booed and hardly anybody (other than those in close proximity) heard it.

Toni Perm - Can you rephrase your question as I am not sure what you are asking me.