Sign in to follow this  
lobster catcher

why so pessimistic?

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

I was embarrassed at half time on Saturday when a few idiots decided that our team should be booed off the pitch. It''s the first game of the season FFS and we''ve got five new players in the starting line up. It''s hardly going to make them feel welcome is it? Unfortunately I think there''s still a decent proportion of people who got a taste for protest during the Worthy Out days and they won''t be satisfied until they get their next spot of blood letting.

I''m not accusing you of any of this by the way, it''s just that with some of the stuff I hear I fear for what might happen if we ever lose a couple of games.

[/quote]

Unfortunatly the Board are directly responsible for the poor atmosphere in the ground these last couple of years.  Thats what you get when you ignore your customer base.

[/quote]spot on CJF I never remember ever hearing the players being booed off when i was younger and that was when we were nearly bottom of division 1 only 7 years ago.

[quote user="Fellas"]
spot on CJF I never remember ever hearing the players being booed off when i was younger and that was when we were nearly bottom of division 1 only 7 years ago.
[/quote]

Our last home game under Hamilton in 2000 we had a crowd of 14000. In those days we were really poor. If you think Grant inherited dross just think back to Hamiltons legacy! Anyway, those 14,000 used to put up with anything because, like you, I don''t remember the atmosphere of protest and discontent then like we have had inside Carrow Road for the last 2 years. But back in 2000 the board appointed Worthy and as the good times came so the home gates improved until by the time we reached the Premiership less than 5 years later that 14,000 had become 24,000. The extra 10,000 came directly from our success on the pitch and its only natural that those 10,000 new regular fans will be less tolerant than the 14,000 that had stuck with the club after years of failure in the late 90''s. 

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Fellas"]
spot on CJF I never remember ever hearing the players being booed off when i was younger and that was when we were nearly bottom of division 1 only 7 years ago.
[/quote]

Our last home game under Hamilton in 2000 we had a crowd of 14000. In those days we were really poor. If you think Grant inherited dross just think back to Hamiltons legacy! Anyway, those 14,000 used to put up with anything because, like you, I don''t remember the atmosphere of protest and discontent then like we have had inside Carrow Road for the last 2 years. But back in 2000 the board appointed Worthy and as the good times came so the home gates improved until by the time we reached the Premiership less than 5 years later that 14,000 had become 24,000. The extra 10,000 came directly from our success on the pitch and its only natural that those 10,000 new regular fans will be less tolerant than the 14,000 that had stuck with the club after years of failure in the late 90''s. 

[/quote]

Actually I and many around me whom are ''less tolerant'' have been watching since then Nutty Nigel, so don''t go around peddling that crap buddy.

As you can see NN, Fellas is one too... 

My point was the board successsfully managed to fill the ground whioch is a good thing but the poor atmosphere is as a direct result of what happend for that 1 year period when Nigel should have been removed but wasnt due to stupidity and ineptness at boardroom level, against a large proportion of the fans wishes.  It is as a direct result of this the bad atmosphere which is now slowly improving happened.

Which is my point too. Im not saying that booing the team is completely off-limits ever, but it''s getting silly now. Even last year people were boo-ing them off when we were 0-0 at half time and that, to be fair, is plain ridiculous. The gates were smaller then assured but I cannot accept that it is solely the fault of the ''extra'' 10,000 fans that go to games now. I do remember the atmosphere being more say bigger but the agian I was only small and did sit (mostly stand otherwise I couldn''t see) in the barclay then anyways.Anyways back to the point, it is the board and worthington''s fault for all this boo-ing really. I lost all my trust in the board and management system in the last two years. They were to dilly-dally and in effect sacked worthington far too late. After we got relegated, in the shambolic ''re-gaining promotion season'' all the hall marks were there and our performances away from home were just awful. Most clearly was QPR away which we took 3,500 fans to, to see us be 3-0 down at half time in one of the most abysmal performances i''ve ever seen a football team play in. Then we were singing ''worthy time to go'' and it really was. QPR away wasn''t the only debacle though; reading and palace stick to my mind.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Actually I and many around me whom are ''less tolerant'' have been watching since then Nutty Nigel, so don''t go around peddling that crap buddy.

My point was the board successsfully managed to fill the ground whioch is a good thing but the poor atmosphere is as a direct result of what happend for that 1 year period when Nigel should have been removed but wasnt due to stupidity and ineptness at boardroom level, against a large proportion of the fans wishes.  It is as a direct result of this the bad atmosphere which is now slowly improving happened.

[/quote]

But I think the bigger question here is why can''t you let it go then?  If this bad atmosphere was as a result of the Board showing too much loyalty to a struggling manager, why is there still an atmosphere of protest and demonstration, when the ''problem'' has long since been removed?  Especially when it is obvious to everyone that the club are taking steps in the right direction now - no mean feat when you consider the loss of parachute payments.  Do you see Southampton and Palace investing in their squad like we are currently?  I accept that we ahve yet to spend all the money we have received this summer, but Southampton are really struggling - notwithstanding their recent £1.2m purchase of Wayne Thomas (and that looks like a very slippery slope to me, spending that sort of money on a very average defender).  It really is time to move on; let it go, you never know, it might even feel good!

[quote user="Temp the Revelator"]

But I think the bigger question here is why can''t you let it go then?  If this bad atmosphere was as a result of the Board showing too much loyalty to a struggling manager, why is there still an atmosphere of protest and demonstration, when the ''problem'' has long since been removed?  Especially when it is obvious to everyone that the club are taking steps in the right direction now - no mean feat when you consider the loss of parachute payments.  Do you see Southampton and Palace investing in their squad like we are currently?  I accept that we ahve yet to spend all the money we have received this summer, but Southampton are really struggling - notwithstanding their recent £1.2m purchase of Wayne Thomas (and that looks like a very slippery slope to me, spending that sort of money on a very average defender).  It really is time to move on; let it go, you never know, it might even feel good!

[/quote]

I am content again with things at Carrow Road, we have new board memebers, hopefully more intelligent than those they replaced, a new manager and new team.  Obviously others arent.  If things do go down the can hopefully it won''t take them a year to take the required action......  

And at half time Saturday we looked as awful as we have been these last two years. Now ..  for a win at Hull!

[quote]Sorry suggest you read Ralph''s post again, he clearly states they will get 63 and also defenders and mids, will chip in.[/quote]I stand corrected Ricky, the bloke was either joking or delusional.  No set of strikers in the championship will score that many.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][

[/quote]

Why am I peddling crap just because you don''t agree with what I am saying. My post is full of facts and very little opinion.

Fact - 25/11/00 we lost 1-2 at home to Wimbledon in front of a crowd of 14,059. Fact - That was the last home game before Worthington took over as manager. Fact - There followed a 5 year period of success that put 10,000 more fans on the gate proved by the Fact - Worthy''s last home game, Burnley at home with a ridiculous Sunday lunchtime kick off and live on TV, attracted  a crowd of 24,717. Fact - back in November 2000 that defeat against Wimbledon was our 4th consecutive defeat and we were just 4 points above the relegation places. Fact - Only once in the previous 5 seasons had we finished higher than 12th in the second tier and that season we finished 9th. Fact - Nigel Worthington never had a full season where we finished below 9th in the 2nd tier including that 2005/6 season that was so full of protest.

Now it''s not just my opinion that during the autumn of 2000 there wasn''t the atmosphere of protest because that was exactly what was in Fella''s post that I was replying to. So if I am peddling crap then maybe you have an alternative view? Because I don''t remember a Hamilton out movement or protests outside the ground or a website dedicated to getting him sacked. And yet surely things were worse then, whatever you may think of Worthy''s players Hamiltons team was worse.

Fella''s talks about QPR away in October 2005 and the protests against Worthy and I was there and know he is right, but surely things were a lot worse in December 2000 so why no protest then?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][

[/quote]

Why am I peddling crap just because you don''t agree with what I am saying. My post is full of facts and very little opinion.

Fact - 25/11/00 we lost 1-2 at home to Wimbledon in front of a crowd of 14,059. Fact - That was the last home game before Worthington took over as manager. Fact - There followed a 5 year period of success that put 10,000 more fans on the gate proved by the Fact - Worthy''s last home game, Burnley at home with a ridiculous Sunday lunchtime kick off and live on TV, attracted  a crowd of 24,717. Fact - back in November 2000 that defeat against Wimbledon was our 4th consecutive defeat and we were just 4 points above the relegation places. Fact - Only once in the previous 5 seasons had we finished higher than 12th in the second tier and that season we finished 9th. Fact - Nigel Worthington never had a full season where we finished below 9th in the 2nd tier including that 2005/6 season that was so full of protest.

Now it''s not just my opinion that during the autumn of 2000 there wasn''t the atmosphere of protest because that was exactly what was in Fella''s post that I was replying to. So if I am peddling crap then maybe you have an alternative view? Because I don''t remember a Hamilton out movement or protests outside the ground or a website dedicated to getting him sacked. And yet surely things were worse then, whatever you may think of Worthy''s players Hamiltons team was worse.

Fella''s talks about QPR away in October 2005 and the protests against Worthy and I was there and know he is right, but surely things were a lot worse in December 2000 so why no protest then?

[/quote]

I tell you what, i remember that wimbeldon game. That games was awful, we were awful. Wimbledon were down to 10 players that day and if i remember we barely had a shot at goal and it was like -10 that day, or felt like it as well.

I recall the period very well. The crowds were around the 14,000 mark and sometimes less. All those attending knew we were skint and that we were still in a transition period from the doldrums of the late 90s - but the situation was that we were unlikely to be a success, and therefore, I feared and accepted the possibility in failure - resulting in relegation. Then, that turnaround with Blarneymeisters departure and Worthington''s appointment, that saw us climb the table and into safety.

The following season or two, was where Nigel instilled unity and stability to our average squad.  Some say Nigel was lucky in achieving what he did with this club, I think he had a combination of good fortune and commitment from genuine and honest pros like Malky and Co, who were of average ability - but rose to the challenge and we squeezed past Burnley into the play-offs.......The Millennium adventure which attracted new followers and re-kindled the disillusioned old, to once again attend Carrow Road - now saw us on a roll.

The feelgood factor had arrived, the foundations were set, and after an ''out of sorts'' following season - then came the Championship title and ''hello'' the Premiership. Sadly, I now feel we are in limbo at this moment in time. I have no faith in the current board (and the Chief Exec), and am unlikely to be swayed from my strong opinion. If folk think I''m a pessimist (or a mentalist).......then fine. I just stick by what I believe in, and will refrain from going with the flow, preferring instead, to support the squad and hope for success - and maybe a forthcoming shake-up within the hierarchy, coupled with ''outside the ring-road investment'' - which in my personal opinion, is necessary for us to further progress.

"I also, always felt Rioch could have given us some success if funds were made available - but the money just wasn''t there."

I have to say I feel Nutty and Mello are both right. But, if Grant can squeeze some good results early on, if our squad gets fit and if we have the necessary good fortune with injuries then two seasons too late we may well begin to get our bottle back.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

I recall the period very well. The crowds were around the 14,000 mark and sometimes less. All those attending knew we were skint and that we were still in a transition period from the doldrums of the late 90s - but the situation was that we were unlikely to be a success, and therefore, I feared and accepted the possibility in failure - resulting in relegation. Then, that turnaround with Blarneymeisters departure and Worthington''s appointment, that saw us climb the table and into safety.

The following season or two, was where Nigel instilled unity and stability to our average squad.  Some say Nigel was lucky in achieving what he did with this club, I think he had a combination of good fortune and commitment from genuine and honest pros like Malky and Co, who were of average ability - but rose to the challenge and we squeezed past Burnley into the play-offs.......The Millennium adventure which attracted new followers and re-kindled the disillusioned old, to once again attend Carrow Road - now saw us on a roll.

The feelgood factor had arrived, the foundations were set, and after an ''out of sorts'' following season - then came the Championship title and ''hello'' the Premiership. Sadly, I now feel we are in limbo at this moment in time. I have no faith in the current board (and the Chief Exec), and am unlikely to be swayed from my strong opinion. If folk think I''m a pessimist (or a mentalist).......then fine. I just stick by what I believe in, and will refrain from going with the flow, preferring instead, to support the squad and hope for success - and maybe a forthcoming shake-up within the hierarchy, coupled with ''outside the ring-road investment'' - which in my personal opinion, is necessary for us to further progress.

"I also, always felt Rioch could have given us some success if funds were made available - but the money just wasn''t there."

[/quote]

Wow, a sensible post from Mellow Yellow! Are you feeing ok? [;)]