Sign in to follow this  
lobster catcher

why so pessimistic?

Is it me or are there alot of pessimistic people on this forum?It seems no matter what you post someone will shoot you down with a "you won''t being saying that when it all goes wrong remark".Whats so wrong with being an opptimist,i think it must be a generation thing anyone agree?

CJF I have to agree with you there. We have a selection of great strikers that all have different attributes, we have great wide attacking midfielders and we have central midfielders  that can compete with the best in this division and a great new goalkeeper. The center of defence is the weakest part of the whole team.

The pairing of the D''OH! and Shackell has to be changed COME ON PETER YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO

I agree that many posts are negative.  I also agree with CJF as I think we can, also if we get lucky with injuries.

But the reason I think people are so negative, is not that we do not all want the team to win, or believe we will.  But is the negativity just indicative of all boards, isnt this where we come to share our anxieties about the team?  I believe in all the players, and defend all the players including the Doc to my friends who dont support Norwich.  But on here I put my fears that he is average, and therefore not good enough for promotion.  I dont think its the kind of people on here either, I just think its the fear we all have, and we share the concerns and fears, making it seem like we are negative!

Discussing all the time about whether this board is generally pessimistic or optimistic is depressing. Enough already.

Doherty''s bald patch is getting bigger by the week. He should either shave what he has left or get a suitable transplant organised. His performances so far this season have been wholly acceptable this season in my opinion. 

Good luck to Paul Gallagher who despite being out of favour - has acted in the most professional manner possible considering constantly being dropped. I wish him all the best at Queen of the South.

Because with Norwich something usually comes along to mess things up! Whether that is a serious injury to a key player or the sale of a key player or even the manager disappearing off to Everton or Man City or even bloody Leicester (sorry Foxile!). After 5 games last year all looked pretty good but it went seriously pear shaped over the next 5 games. I think some of us whilst encouraged by the results aren''t going to get too carried away after the first week of the season - unfortunately a lot of people seem to think all our problems have been solved which I don''t think they are. We certainly seem to be heading down the right road with all the dead wood cleared out and some generally younger replacements shipped in. Hopefully the performances will improve and Grant can add another couple of players to the squad. Then I full we may be able to sustain a challenge for the top 6.

I''ve gotta agree with everybody on this thread except you L.C.

You seem to be running around like a headless chicken, asking the same question again and again.

Whats up mate, you attention seeking ? 

[quote user="lobster catcher"]Is it me or are there alot of pessimistic people on this forum?It seems no matter what you post someone will shoot you down with a "you won''t being saying that when it all goes wrong remark".Whats so wrong with being an opptimist,i think it must be a generation thing anyone agree?[/quote]

I''m a realist who''s pessimistic because we''re a mediocre side who''ve had the rub of the green who''ve put in two mediocre league performances against two mediocre sides who''re just warming up.

Thing is, the two mediocre sides we''ve garnered points from are better set than us for the long haul:

Southampton have 8 experienced defenders within their squad; Preston have 7 and we have but 4 experienced defenders including Doherty.

Reasons for concern, and yes, pessimism young lady.

I don''t think it''s you LC, I think there are a lot of pessimistic people on this forum but then I think us Norfolk people are naturally pessimistic anyway If you always fear the worst you won''t be disappointed and could in fact be pleasantly surprised is a good way of looking at it. My old mate Smudger is the best example I know for this. He convinced himself that we would be embarrassed on national TV by being knocked out of the cup by Tamworth followed by relegation 4 months later. But he is a Leicester Lad so he forgot to be pleasantly surprised when it didn''t happen.[;)]

I''m a bit like that about some things in my life but maybe different as far as Norwich City are concerned. Some posters on here criticise me for seeing things through yellow and green glasses, I don''t take that as a criticism and am proud to admit I see things through the thickest green and yellow welding gogggles imaginable [8-|] Part of being a football fan is suffering disappointments and bouncing back with hope the next match or the next season. I go into each season full of optimism and fresh hope and usually only lose that hope once it''s become mathematically impossible to reach any of my ever decreasing goals. When knocked out of the cup I always manage to convince myself that it''s a good thing that we can now concentrate on the league.

The last couple of seasons have been poor by anyones standards which I think is why so many fans are afraid to get their hopes up in the time honoured football fan manner. However I believe this season we should be optimistic, we have a new manager who has tried to put together a team of players who have a winning mentality and want to play for our club. Much of what caused our disappointments in the last two seasons has now gone.I believe we should back Grant and his players unreservedly with our own winning mentality and without fear of being let down and disappointed.

Arrdee has been a fan for longer than most of us on here and he is dreaming of winning this league and I am too. If it becomes mathematically impossible then I will settle for runners up, if that gets out of reach I''ll settle for the play-offs and only if they become mathematically impossible will I feel the first twinges of disappointment set in.

[quote user="Shyster"]

Southampton have 8 experienced defenders within their squad[/quote]

That would be the same Southampton who''ve already conceded six goals and have an impressive no points?

[quote user="Shyster"]

I''m a realist who''s pessimistic because we''re a mediocre side who''ve had the rub of the green who''ve put in two mediocre league performances against two mediocre sides who''re just warming up.

Thing is, the two mediocre sides we''ve garnered points from are better set than us for the long haul:

Southampton have 8 experienced defenders within their squad; Preston have 7 and we have but 4 experienced defenders including Doherty.

Reasons for concern, and yes, pessimism young lady.

[/quote]

I don''t really see why you''re so insistant that we''ve been lucky in our first three games.

We went to Preston with a game plan to keep things tight and it worked fairly well as we came away with a point. If you had offered that result to PG before the game he would bitten your arm off for it.

Against Southampton we were poor first half but the manager made a substitution at half time which changed the game. That''s not lucky, it''s good management. Or is any team that goes behind but comes back to win lucky in your eyes? After we had scored our first there was only one winner in that match and our manager has to take a lot of the credit for that.

The only time we could really be considered fortunate was against Barnet where everything we hit went in for thirty minutes.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

I don''t really see why you''re so insistant that we''ve been lucky in our first three games.

We went to Preston with a game plan to keep things tight and it worked fairly well as we came away with a point. If you had offered that result to PG before the game he would bitten your arm off for it.

Against Southampton we were poor first half but the manager made a substitution at half time which changed the game. That''s not lucky, it''s good management. Or is any team that goes behind but comes back to win lucky in your eyes? After we had scored our first there was only one winner in that match and our manager has to take a lot of the credit for that.

The only time we could really be considered fortunate was against Barnet where everything we hit went in for thirty minutes.

[/quote]

We were pretty lucky...  We barely had a shot at Preston, and Southampton should have been 2 or 3 up at half time.

But luck favours the brave, with results can come the confidence to put in good performances.  As long as we don''t go and capitulate at Hull I will still retain the belief we can make the top 6.

Everyone on here wants the best for City i am sure of that, Some go over the top after a good start, dont want to look at the whole picture. Others like myself are more cautious, whilst happy with the start still see the flaws and realise the team we have is just not good enough to get us to the premier. I hope i am wrong, in fact i would love to be wrong, but all this euthoria over the start, where we were lucky at preston, we played well against Barnet in the first half, 2nd we were awful and Southampton we could have been out of sight in the first hour.

These strikers you all rave about Cureton is the only one who know where the goal is, Brown, very average wont reach double figures, Dave, doomed to be another import failure imo, Jarvis would have come through by now if it was going to happen. Makes you really confident dont it.

Does this make me a pessimist, i dont think so, a realist maybe but at the end of it all i am city through and through but i am not going to say alls rosy in the garden when is clearly is not.

[quote]Or is any team that goes behind but comes back to win lucky in your eyes?[/quote]Any team that concedes a goal for 2-0 that isn''t then given (Marshall saving the ball over the line), and is then given a controversial free-kick which leads to a goal could be considered lucky.  We need to improve if we are to succeed this season.

[quote user="canarygeorge"]

I''ve gotta agree with everybody on this thread except you L.C.

You seem to be running around like a headless chicken, asking the same question again and again.

Whats up mate, you attention seeking ? 

[/quote]Not attention seeking mate,what i am trying to do is prove a point,If you notice 99% of my posts are very up beat.You may call then headless chicken type posts but to me they are just about how i am feeling at the moment.If you then read the not so positive replies you will notice that 90% of them are from the same 5-6 posters.This proves my point that the negitive vibes on this board are caused by a very small group of people and that the vast majority of posters are very upbeat about the coming season.And really if you think i am attention seeking what are the likes of cluck and smudger doing on here?

Your just a classic case of getting carried away LC , we started much better last season and look where we finished , so far we have taken 4 points off the teams bottom and 4th bottom and we could quite easily have lost both (and probably should have) . Lets just wait and see , 15 to 20 games in and we should know what end of the table we will be fighting at .

Sorry lobster man, i did go over the top at you.(given meself a yellow card ! lol)

Smudger, in vaious alias''s is just a joke and not worth worrying what he says. He is certainly an attention seeking Binner who would like nothing better than to Citys season go pear shaped.

I''m not a doom and gloom merchant but i do believe we''ve rode our luck so far this season. Any realist would agree.

I we were to get those 2 young defenders that we are supposed be intersted in i would think that would be us set up for a good season. But i dont suppose they will be coming. Prove me wrong Peter please.     

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

Any team that concedes a goal for 2-0 that isn''t then given (Marshall saving the ball over the line), and is then given a controversial free-kick which leads to a goal could be considered lucky.  We need to improve if we are to succeed this season.
[/quote]

I''ve yet to see a replay that conclusively proves that the ball was over the line and the free kick was in no way controversial, one of the most blatant back passes you''ll ever see. The match stats on this very website state that both sides had five shots on target with Southampton having six off target and us having five. Sounds quite an even game doesn''t it?

I''ve yet to see anybody suggest that all in the garden is rosy and that we''ll be promoted by Xmas, yet that''s what some people are being accused of. All because they''re happy that we''re unbeaten in our first three games.

I was embarrassed at half time on Saturday when a few idiots decided that our team should be booed off the pitch. It''s the first game of the season FFS and we''ve got five new players in the starting line up. It''s hardly going to make them feel welcome is it? Unfortunately I think there''s still a decent proportion of people who got a taste for protest during the Worthy Out days and they won''t be satisfied until they get their next spot of blood letting.

I''m not accusing you of any of this by the way, it''s just that with some of the stuff I hear I fear for what might happen if we ever lose a couple of games.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

I was embarrassed at half time on Saturday when a few idiots decided that our team should be booed off the pitch. It''s the first game of the season FFS and we''ve got five new players in the starting line up. It''s hardly going to make them feel welcome is it? Unfortunately I think there''s still a decent proportion of people who got a taste for protest during the Worthy Out days and they won''t be satisfied until they get their next spot of blood letting.

I''m not accusing you of any of this by the way, it''s just that with some of the stuff I hear I fear for what might happen if we ever lose a couple of games.

[/quote]

Unfortunatly the Board are directly responsible for the poor atmosphere in the ground these last couple of years.  Thats what you get when you ignore your customer base.

[quote user="canarygeorge"]

Sorry lobster man, i did go over the top at you.(given meself a yellow card ! lol)

Smudger, in vaious alias''s is just a joke and not worth worrying what he says. He is certainly an attention seeking Binner who would like nothing better than to Citys season go pear shaped.

I''m not a doom and gloom merchant but i do believe we''ve rode our luck so far this season. Any realist would agree.

I we were to get those 2 young defenders that we are supposed be intersted in i would think that would be us set up for a good season. But i dont suppose they will be coming. Prove me wrong Peter please.     

[/quote]Cheers mate i was begining to feel unwanted

[quote]I''ve yet to see a replay that

conclusively proves that the ball was over the line and the free kick

was in no way controversial, one of the most blatant back passes you''ll

ever see.[/quote]I guess my point was that the game hinged on those 2 events - the ball looked over to me from the highlights I saw on the championship, sometimes they''re given, sometimes not, and free-kicks for back-passes aren''t always given - which is probably why Burley was complaining.  I''d agree that a draw would have been a fairer outcome to an even game.  A draw would have left us with 2 points from the opening 2 games, which no doubt would have left this board awash with "the season''s over before it''s begun", so I''m grateful for the win.  But we need to do more, especially at home, if we are to compete this season.  We shouldn''t have to rely on a decision or 2 to win matches at home, or indeed on Curetons'' right boot, we need to be earning wins with more than 30 minutes of decent play.  That said, early doors, lots of new arrivals, and at least we''re getting decent results.[quote]
I was embarrassed at half time on

Saturday when a few idiots decided that our team should be booed off

the pitch. It''s the first game of the season FFS and we''ve got five new

players in the starting line up. It''s hardly going to make them feel

welcome is it? Unfortunately I think there''s still a decent proportion

of people who got a taste for protest during the Worthy Out days and

they won''t be satisfied until they get their next spot of blood letting.[/quote]There does seem to be a small element of the support that believes that it''s bigger / more important than the club, "doing it for the good of the club", etc.  It''s what happens when you create clubs within clubs, hidden agendas arise.  I tried to warn against it at the time, it was the one thing I was most concerned about during the whole sorry episode.  An ingrained culture of protest is an unhealthy thing in a support base, it can only be detrimental to the players, most of whom weren''t here, and think they''ve joined a team with a loyal following, which of course to a large extent we have.  It does make you wonder what these "supporters" pay their money for.

One of the problem with the pessimists is they can only see doom and gloom. I can imagine being accompanied by them to buy a lottery ticket."What happens if you don''t win, how will you cope if you do.? "Of course there''s loads of areas to improve. The supposed optimists can see that. They can also see indebted clubs like southampton with a squad they cannot afford. Players in that position will look good, while they''ve got them.The difference is with many of us, the optimists, is we want the club to succeed, and we''ve got every bloody intention of enjoying ourselves when we do. Three games, no defeats it''s all ok by me.What of the future. One whinger berates the lack of strikers, conveniently ommiting Huckerby, Martin and Dublin. The defence. Well the midfield seems to be tracking back a bit more, not leaving it as some kind of Custers last stand as it was all too often before. Noises are afoot to bring in others to fill the gaps. There''s enough youngsters looking like they could step up. There seems a purpose about the place so there''s every reason to feel we''ve a chance.Even if it is only the same odds as winning that lottery. For the terminal doom mongers maybe they would be better off heading down the A140 (assuming they are not already there) and finding something they really can moan about." I say chaps, sack another blighter, the jolly old bonus is due what "

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]One of the problem with the pessimists is they can only see doom and gloom. I can imagine being accompanied by them to buy a lottery ticket.

"What happens if you don''t win, how will you cope if you do.? "

Of course there''s loads of areas to improve. The supposed optimists can see that. They can also see indebted clubs like southampton with a squad they cannot afford. Players in that position will look good, while they''ve got them.

The difference is with many of us, the optimists, is we want the club to succeed, and we''ve got every bloody intention of enjoying ourselves when we do. Three games, no defeats it''s all ok by me.

What of the future. One whinger berates the lack of strikers, conveniently ommiting Huckerby, Martin and Dublin. The defence. Well the midfield seems to be tracking back a bit more, not leaving it as some kind of Custers last stand as it was all too often before. Noises are afoot to bring in others to fill the gaps. There''s enough youngsters looking like they could step up. There seems a purpose about the place so there''s every reason to feel we''ve a chance.Even if it is only the same odds as winning that lottery.

For the terminal doom mongers maybe they would be better off heading down the A140 (assuming they are not already there) and finding something they really can moan about.

" I say chaps, sack another blighter, the jolly old bonus is due what "
[/quote]

Dublin, days as striker are over, how many 90 minutes will he play, Martin, still unproven, but has potential, Hucks do not see him as out and out striker and has never been prolific over his career although creates alot. honestly then, answer this how many goals do you see in all the strikers put together scoring this season, enough to put us in the promotion frame, i dont, sorry if that makes me a bad fan.

More concerned  with why you feel the need to copy all my last post into yours. As if anyone reading your reply hasn''t the nounce to look above and read mine. One of the gripes with these forums is the way half the stuff is quotes within quotes, within quotes. Makes for harder reading having to plough through them all. Would help if it was used only where necessary. Thank you for answering your own question. Nevermind, I think they''ll all score 63 between them. Maybe other goals will come from midfielders and even a handful from defenders. Whether Dublin scores whilst he is defending but has been pushed up front or is playing up front but has dropped back to help the defence though scores when we have a corner will have to be adjudicated upon. The goals panel will sit.Collectively will that be enough to put us in a promotion spot ? Well there you have me, because they may be enough and equal to other clubs in the top six but then we may have let in far more so that''s not really a reasonable measure.Finally I wouldn''t put all the strikers together, I''d spread them out a bit. Maybe a couple on the pitch, a couple on the bench and one helping to make the halftime cup of tea and then running the bath.No need to apologise for being a bad fan either.

Ralph oh clever one, if they score 63 goals between them i will put £50 to a charity of your choice. I dont see 40, but i hope i am wrong, with 63 and others chipping in we will be within a shout of promotion.

As for using quotes with mods censoring we dont know when our reply will appear, could be next page to your original, if i knew i was next in line like many other forum of course, quotes would not be needed, Sorry to upset you and ruin your day lol.

[quote]

Ralph

oh clever one, if they score 63 goals between them i will put £50 to a

charity of your choice. I dont see 40, but i hope i am wrong, with 63

and others chipping in we will be within a shout of promotion.[/quote]

Forgive me for stepping in here, but I think Ralph meant that the team as a whole would score 63 goals over the course of the season, not just the strikers.Ta.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]

Ralph oh clever one, if they score 63 goals between them i will put £50 to a charity of your choice. I dont see 40, but i hope i am wrong, with 63 and others chipping in we will be within a shout of promotion.[/quote]

Forgive me for stepping in here, but I think Ralph meant that the team as a whole would score 63 goals over the course of the season, not just the strikers.

Ta.
[/quote]

Sorry suggest you read Ralph''s post again, he clearly states they will get 63 and also defenders and mids, will chip in. Also i ask the question, how many did he see all the srikers getting between them. not the whole team, anyway he can take the bet or not, i assume he is a big lad.