Sign in to follow this  
king of latvia

CANARY CALL

You have to have been born before 1950 to ring into that rubbish,i only listen for a laugh i am sure they are all crackers or deaf and blind cos what they say has no refelction on the game

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

...says you lot who didn''t even goto the game!!

It works both ways.

[/quote]did you?We did play as a unit today, but we missed brellier when he went off and I felt we should have closed down PNE much more at the end.Dion didn''t look that good up front really.  I felt he was more likely to get sent off for repeated fouling then score.  On the other hand Brown looked better than the last game I saw, winning headers and chasing around alot.The defense was much better for having brellier in front of them - no-one stood out as particularly bad or good.  possibly Shackell shaded the doc slightly, central defense looked better than the wings.  This is probably due to PNE being better on the wings.In Midfield, PNE seemed scared of Russell, who looked useful. Brellier did the quiet work in a safe but unspectacular way, wasn''t really noticed untill he wasn''t there. Chadwick and Lappin looked OK and worked hard but didn''t carry much threat going forward.Tactics wise we seemed a bit over fond of the long ball, but this was probably due to the strikers we had available.Subs:Fozzy - not as good as Brellier, but he isn''t actually the same kind of player.Strihavka - looked about the same as dublin in terms of threat but fouled less - not a target man.Croft - faster than Chadwick and ran at the full back more, but was shot adverse and cross delivery was poor.Whole team - good result (given location and injuries).  Draw was fair result although if there was to be a win it was more likely to be PNE (they would have been considered lucky).certainly played better than I''ve seen for a while.

as Neil Adams said that he thought this is a really poor preston team. Is nil , nil really that great of a result.I say no, those who went said it was hoofball all game with little threat up front. If this is whats to come it''s going to be a long long season.GRANT OUT NOW

Good result

It''s clear we''ve been badly affected by the bbq bug, which seems to have affected our strikeforce in particular. Dublin isnt going to last up front, and we''ll i think be better once we have cureton or martin fir and in that role with brown or strihavka. The defence was solid it seems, as was brellier and it''s a safe, decent start. We can and will get better, as players settle in, and hopefully we''ll be fully over the bbbq and maybe even have the creativity of huckerby come next saturday.

So far so good.

[quote user="ronbol ronbol"]as Neil Adams said that he thought this is a really poor preston team.
Is nil , nil really that great of a result.
I say no, those who went said it was hoofball all game with little threat up front.
If this is whats to come it''s going to be a long long season.

GRANT OUT NOW

[/quote]

Since when did you start taking everything Adams says as gospel? That''s a funny old turn up. [:O][:)] 

[quote user="ronbol ronbol"]as Neil Adams said that he thought this is a really poor preston team. Is nil , nil really that great of a result.I say no, those who went said it was hoofball all game with little threat up front. If this is whats to come it''s going to be a long long season.GRANT OUT NOW[/quote]So we sack grant, which will probably cost te club a million, maybe more. Then what do we do? who will replace him?

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

...says you lot who didn''t even goto the game!!

It works both ways.

[/quote]

It would work both ways of course if you used a similarity.

But comparing people who didn''t go that make no judgement to someone who doesn''t go that makes every judgement is a little lop sided.

Could someone take that chip off of this guys shoulder?

Are people serious????

This is basically Grants first real match with "his" team rather than Worthys old team.

The transfer window is not shut and Grant said a few days ago he still want 1 or 2 players.

We were away, we didnt lose, we didnt concede any goals.

By all accounts we were a solid defensive unit.

We were weak in the final third but also had Hucks, Cureton and Martin unaviable.

Which team in this division can lose 2 of their best attacking players and perform as normal up front.

Norwich have been really soft for the last 2 years, by all accounts that has changed.

Grant has cleared out a lot of poor/unmotivated players from the books while bringing in much better quality.

(players who look like they are proud to wear the shirt)

When Hucks and Cureton are back our "BENCH" could contain several million in talent as opposed to journeymen and youth players.

Anybody who thinks we do not have a better all round squad knows nothing about football period.

For anybody to suggest Grant has done poorly is simply retarded.

[quote user="king of latvia"]

i cant belive the callers one game clean sheet and one point , do theses so called fans go to matches.

know bring on southampton.

[/quote]

You obviously didnt go though either did you, so how can you slag them off? A point against a Preston team who sold the heart of there team { bit like us i guess } and failed to replace them, players out through injury, had a poor pre season and even Neil Adams describes as a poor team, is not a great result. Im neither pleased or unhappy. Im happy we didnt lose because we were played off the park by all accounts by a crap team. So like i said im not happy or unhappy.

An away point against a team that is always strong, with our preferred strikers not fit is a good result.  It was always going to be a nervous game.  Yes we were under the cosh but we got a point - better than losing  - and as you state its a long season so lets not wet our pants just yet shall we?

[quote user="ronbol ronbol"]as Neil Adams said that he thought this is a really poor preston team.
I say no, those who went said it was hoofball all game with little threat up front.

GRANT OUT NOW

[/quote]

Have to say that USA Canary has mirrored what I would say (but too long to quote it!!).

There are several plus points from yesterday that just seem to be completely lost on some.  A 0-0 away from home is never spectacular, but it is a start, certainly against a side that will probably be in the top half of the division (whatever Adams says).  Ok, we didn''t create much, but so what - we had several of our most creative players missing, so is that a surprise?  Sometimes you just have to dig in and grind a result away from home - God knows the ability to do this seems to not have been part of our armoury for the last 2 seasons, so it is a big plus that we now have what is needed.  The simple fact is that sides have been winning titles and promotion for years on the back of solid away performances where they create little but get 0-0, 1-0 and 1-1 results.  Put it this way, if we are going to be a tough proposition away from home this season, then I''m all for it. 

Quite how people can be slating the side and performance already is beyond my comprehension.  Given several injuries, players <100% fit and others who were recovering from a well publicised bug during the week, it is surely unfair to go overboard on the negativity so soon (and for anyone to suggest that those who are ill are fully over it, maybe next time you have a 48hr bug perhaps you could try running about for 90 mins in mid-August only 72 hours later, and report back to us on how you manage!) - surely you have to give the benefit of the doubt for a few games before jumping to any conclusions, be they positive or negative?

[quote user="UEA Graduate Canary"][quote user="ronbol ronbol"]as Neil Adams said that he thought this is a really poor preston team. Is nil , nil really that great of a result.I say no, those who went said it was hoofball all game with little threat up front. If this is whats to come it''s going to be a long long season.GRANT OUT NOW[/quote]So we sack grant, which will probably cost te club a million, maybe more. Then what do we do? who will replace him?[/quote]we sack him and find a manager who has a knack in the transfer market , knows team tactics and selection and dosen''t look like a looney on the sidelines.we have already had a chance to find a quality manager and blew it once worthy went. The boards fault and the board should pay up. clueless monkeys from top to bottom in this football club.GRANT OUT

Agreed PGTA

It wasnt a bad result, Preston will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season, and whilst perhaps both teams maybe treated it as an extra pre season game it was a decent Result.

Preston have always been a team who can mix it up, they play a bit but are also going to get stuck in and pick up red and yellow cards. we Combated that well i thought. Listend to it on the Radio and Neil Adams is probably right when he says Preston werent Great... perhaps he wont be saying that in 3 or 4 months time. But then there arent may people who will be saying that we are struggling that far down the road either id of though.

a good start from some players who need time to gel. Barnet will be shooting practice for the strikers and a good opportunity for the new chaps to show what they can do.

jas :)

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="king of latvia"]

i cant belive the callers one game clean sheet and one point , do theses so called fans go to matches.

know bring on southampton.

[/quote]

You obviously didnt go though either did you, so how can you slag them off? A point against a Preston team who sold the heart of there team { bit like us i guess } and failed to replace them, players out through injury, had a poor pre season and even Neil Adams describes as a poor team, is not a great result. Im neither pleased or unhappy. Im happy we didnt lose because we were played off the park by all accounts by a crap team. So like i said im not happy or unhappy.

[/quote]no mr whittle i didnt but its the first game of the season,i dont mind being played off the park and keep a clean sheet ,its upto the home team to do this ,how many times have teams come to carrow road and seem to be happy with a point.

come on you yellows.

[quote user="ronbol ronbol"][quote user="UEA Graduate Canary"][quote user="ronbol ronbol"]as Neil Adams said that he thought this is a really poor preston team.

GRANT OUT NOW

[/quote]

So we sack grant, which will probably cost te club a million, maybe more. Then what do we do? who will replace him?
[/quote]

we sack him and find a manager who has a knack in the transfer market , knows team tactics and selection and dosen''t look like a looney on the sidelines.
we have already had a chance to find a quality manager and blew it once worthy went. The boards fault and the board should pay up.
clueless monkeys from top to bottom in this football club.

GRANT OUT
[/quote]

What utter tosh, one real game with his new team (which we didnt lose) and we should sack PG ???????

I thought Canary Call was a looney magnet but this place is catching up.

That''s it, nice and positive, let''s all get behind the team!!!! oh sorry u didn''t go yesterday so are drawing assumptions again....

How had the heart been ripped out of Preston? They lost Nugent, signed Carter and had Mawene back after a year out injured. We had 4 debutants and 2 players who have played less than 10 games betweeen them. My point being that Preston where able to carry on from last season with a similar style and pattern of play while it will take us a few weeks to bed new players in to the way Granty wants us playing.

Yesterday we had no Hucks or Cureton therefore no cutting edge. On other threads i have said we need more creativity in midfield and more pace up front but yesterday was a good point won against the odds and with plenty of time until the transfer window closes i hope these problems together with defensive cover are solved.

Yesterday was a committed performace that i was far from unhappy about driving 530 miles to see. Yes there could have been more quality but we are definetly getting the basics right.

I went yesterday.

The positives were that nobody really had a bad game, and that defensively we looked solid-ish. Marshall is clearly having an effect on confidence levels at the back.

The negatives were that we offered little in terms of chances or attacking cohesiveness. Plus we played against a poor team and they were better than us.

The 4-1-2-1-2 didn''t quite work yesterday. Brellier is very comfortable with it though and his presence in front of the defence was another steadying factor. Lappin too, looked happy with his role. Russell wasn''t sure whether he was playing wide right or centrally though and in effect ended up playing neither. On the positive side though he worked very hard, battled well and played well despite being positionally confused. Chadwick however, didn''t have a scooby what he was supposed to be doing. I got the impression that he''d been told to play wherever he liked as you would usually be able to do with Hucks, and so Chadwick resorted to type and hung around near to the right of midfield with the odd dash across the park. Again, didn''t do much wrong when he had the ball but didn''t really know what his role was supposed to be. Brown and Dublin worked hard to muscle themselves into the game, but Mawene had things taped at the back and didn''t give them much of a chance. They also didn''t get close enough together for either to be much use when the other won any of the long balls that were being pumped up. Likewise, Chadwick wasn''t near to being close enough as a support player to offer a passing option most of the time.

I think at home, the formation may prove more useful. Otsemobor and Drury will probably be able to push on more and on the odd occasion that they did yesterday, we looked at our most dangerous (although that wasn''t saying much).

All in all, to play a new formation with umpteen new players, away from home, and to keep a clean sheet, is an adequate start to the season. Only because Preston were so poor in the final third does it seem like two points dropped. We weren''t great, or even very good, but there are signs that we are learning and improving tactically. My only worry is that so much seems to depend on Brellier. One injury could change the entire season.